Start by marking “Chuckling Ducklings and Baby Animal Friends” as Want to Read:
Chuckling Ducklings and Baby Animal Friends

Chuckling Ducklings and Baby Animal Friends

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Here's a puppy, there's a kitten . . . a yawning fawn and chuckling ducklings

The perfect introduction to animal names and animal groups, Chuckling Ducklings features baby animals of every variety. The bouncing text and adorable illustrations will become a favorite with kids as they learn the special baby names that match all the grown-up animals they know and love.
Published February 15th 2011 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Chuckling Ducklings and Baby Animal Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chuckling Ducklings and Baby Animal Friends

Betsy
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They say that humor is subjective. They might as well just go and say the same thing for what folks find cute. What positively reduces one person to a pile of babbling goo might strike another as abominably saccharine. There is no accounting for taste. Personally, I have a low "awww" threshold. Cute, for me, has to go beyond long eyelashes and oversized heads. You've gotta have some substance to your adorableness or you'll just disappear in the midst of all the ootsy-cutesy picture book fare chu ...more
Not only is this book absolutely adorable, it's also well-written and informative. Zenz goes through all sorts of baby animal names, but the rhyme scheme is rock solid throughout and the patterns are varied enough that the text doesn't even come close to be being boring (which would have been really easy to do with what's basically a list). Now let's talk illustrations - all these baby animals are just too cute for words with the variety and cleverness of the text keeping them from tipping over ...more
Angela
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Don't let this cover deceive you...this is no ordinary chick book! In fact, it's a great introduction to the animal names of young ones and their adult counterparts. There's suprises in here for everyone and toddler friendly illustrations. A great introduction to non-fiction concepts for the very young and highly recommended for school and library collections. Gift it to a Kindergarten teacher and make their day!
Lisa
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Great book! Highly recommend this, and the 2 companion books (Hug A Bull and I Love Ewe). Heard about them years ago on the NPR radio show "A Way With Words". Did you know what a baby eel was called?? I didn't, until I read this book.
Bridget R. Wilson
You know all about ducklings, kittens, and puppies, but what about all the other animals? What do you call a baby platypus, llama, or swan? You're in luck! Chuckling Ducklings & Baby Animal Friends will educate you on what ordinary and extraordinary animal babies are called.

What I thought: A great idea for a book. I learned so much from reading this book. Baby animal names are something I've never really given much thought to. Animal group names, yes, (Murder of crows, anyone?) but baby anim
Heidi
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I am so biased when it comes to this author/illustrator. He is my all time favorite. Take this review for what it's worth knowing that.

I LOVED this book. The illustrations were adorable without being sappy or overly so. It was informative and it taught me things I didn't know. My children really enjoyed it. Plus, the rhymes are good but not distracting or really necessary. Good Job Zenz! Another favorite on my bookshelf.

Update - (In honor of the recently released board book we had to buy) Our h
Barbara
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ncbla, picture-book
One by one, they march through the pages, those irresistible baby animals. Through colored pencil illustrations and simple text, readers learn the special baby names for a plethora of animals. Although some such as duckling and fawn may be quite familiar to young readers, others such as eyas for baby hawks, cria for a baby llama, and poult for a baby turkey won't be. In fact, it's highly likely that the adults who are reading this book to their beginning readers won't recognize all the baby anim ...more
Samantha
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did you know that a baby platypus and a baby echidna are both referred to as puggles? This cute book reveals page after page of baby animal names you probably weren't aware of and concludes with a 2 page spread at the book's end listing each animal's baby/adult name. Pictures are big and colorful and I can imagine that sharing this title in any capacity will ignite an interest in specific animals. In other words, I think this would be a great title to help bridge the gap between fiction and nonf ...more
NTE
This is one of Lil Girl's favorite books (and the first she learned to read on her own). The idea of knowing things that other people don't readily know appeals to her, I guess... and I'm not above being ridiculously pleased when knowing what a puggle is comes in handy during a round of Trivial Pursuit. So all the baby animals get names, and cute drawings, and the kiddos and I get a little bit of extra knowledge: Excellent all around.
Ambra
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cute, cute, cute book and it's informative to boot. The pictures in this book had my kiddos captivated and they loved learning what all the baby animals were called. It was a fun book for me too because it went beyond the usual "joey" and "foal," naming some more unfamiliar baby animals like the puggle. Nope, I'm not going to tell you what kind of mama has a baby puggle...you'll have to read it for yourself.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Aaron Zenz is the author and illustrator of The Hiccupotamus. He is the illustrator of 9 additional children's books as well.

Aaron lives in West Michigan. In addition to writing and illustrating, he also frequently visits schools and libraries where he inspires kids to read and write through fun, interactive programs."

More about Aaron Zenz...