Start by marking “The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  2,484 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
A renowned speaker, business consultant, record-setting speed skier and Olympian, Vince Poscente believes in the enormous potential of the unconscious mind. Poscente likens the dynamic between the conscious and subconscious minds to an ant and an elephant: "Our minds are separated into two distinct functions the conscious and subconscious elements. Our ant is the intention ...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Be Invinceable Group (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Ant and the Elephant, please sign up.
Lokesh Joshi very good and interesting book to read, specially new ideas and concept that leads to open new horizons of thoughts and second level thinking, by…more very good and interesting book to read, specially new ideas and concept that leads to open new horizons of thoughts and second level thinking, by this book I am now able to get my goals more clear and get up from any kind of negative thoughts.(less)

Amanda
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: happy-books
If you have ever wondered how powerful your subconscious really is, READ THIS BOOK. I was fortunate enough to attend a lecture by the author last August, and I left the room feeling the "elephant buzz." Reading this book reminded me all over how powerful we can be if we tap into our subconscious with clarity and consistency.

Our conscious minds use about 2,000 neurons a second. Our subconscious minds, however, use 4,000,000 neurons in that same second! All of the sudden, the subconscious becomes
Keith Aul
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book!!!! All people must learn how they conscious mind and subconscious minds are linked together and how important it is to align both of them. This is how our goals are achieved. This book should be a requirement for all students, including all adults. It's so great, I'm currently reading it again (2/21/12) because it's that important to me to achieve all that I can achieve.
Lauren
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I Loved this book! It's a very entertaining short story that illustrates clearly what one has to do to better themselves...control your elephant!! It's a quick, easy read that is very memorable and leaves an impact.
Paigek
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The "Ant and the Elephant" by Vince Poscente is about Adir the ant, representing your conscience, and Elgo the elephant, representing your sub-conscience. This book goes over the five action steps to help you reach your goals. These five action steps will help you aline your conscience and subconscience mind so you can reach your goals and become successful at whatever you do.

My favorite part of this book is when Adir realizes that dreams come true, but rarely in the exact way they are envision
W E J D A N
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
قليلاً ما تجد كتب تطوير ذاتي بهذه الجودة،.
يعينك الكتاب على تنظيم علاقة نملتك وفيلك لتحقيق انجازات بشكل واقعي أفضل.
وعلى العكس من كتب الثرثرة الذاتية ،. قدم الكاتب أهم الدروس بقصة قصيرة وممتعه وقابلة للتطبيق!
Chuck Cova
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful little tale - with a great big meaning. This is truly key to understanding ourselves - how we think, and why we act as we do. Great insight into aligning the conscious and subconscious minds to work together toward realizing our dreams.
Phil Everetts
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty good
☺Pablitomix  a.☺.l :)
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is most interesting in the world
Charlie Anderson
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this book!! Definitely recommend for anyone who wants to achieve anything in their life!! I will definitely read this book again with a few months.
Partha Das
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book, it will help you to re-think about how we run ourselves.
Terry
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book and very entertaining. I should have read it several years ago though.
Dan
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Readable Blog Version

The Ant and the Elephant was a very interesting look into my personal view of things. I’ve found that I have a lot to learn about myself - however, in the process of reading this book, I’ve made leaps and bounds in addressing my elephant.

Adir the Ant is representative of our Intentional, Critical and Analytic side. He works hard and knows where he wants to go and what he needs to do to get there.

Elgo the Elephant is representative of our Impulsive side. He is Instinctual and
Rebecca
Dec 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Drivel.

It had been some time since I last picked up a leadership book, so I chose to read The Ant and the Elephant. I expect such books to reinvigorate me, to provide me with new insights into how to become a better leader. But this book failed completely.

Let's start with the problems of the parable. A tiny ant living atop an elephant must try to influence the weak-minded elephant to find the Oasis, a mythical land of plenty and prosperity. In this quest he is guided by an owl who gives him all
Akshay Pai
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book that talks about the working of our conscious and subconscious mind. I loved the analogy of the ant being the conscious mind and the elephant being the subconscious mind as it describes in clarity the potential that we have as humans.

This book is written as a story of an ant and an elephant in a desert with a wise teacher guiding the ant to learn and work with the elephant, guiding it in the process. I loved the simple way in which the author has conveyed the 5 important steps
Kelsey
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
My Thoughts: I thoughts that this story was pretty good. The idea behind it was great and the parable was cute. I felt that sometimes the author left the parable pretext behind in favour of teaching the lessons but, I guess that since it is a self-help kind of a books, this should be expected. I liked that the author gave useful tips for changing as a person and that he didn't gloss over how hard it would be to change. The ant had a very hard time changing just like any normal person would. The ...more
Ramon
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is definitely worth a read. It is short, packed with insight, and entertaining. I love the concept of the ant and the elephant as our conscious and subconscious minds. It is a concept that I struggle to grasp to this day and one that I would love to embrace fully. I have used some of the techniques but I haven't fully given myself to Brio's 5th lesson.
That said, I find this story to be forced. I continuously questioned the validity of the metaphor as I read, and as such, didn't duly e
Surendra Vaidya
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Finished reading this book in single seating!
It explains the importance of how to influence our own mind to ensure that 'Conscious' part (shown by the ant - Adir) and the 'Sub-conscious' part (shown by the elephant - Elgo) function in sync with each other.
The conscious part depicted by the ant - is essentially analytical & intentional part of our brain whereas the sub-conscious part depicted by the elephant - is the huge sub-conscious mind which is instinctual, impulsive and houses emotions,
Jim George
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Management savvy, presented in a cute parable, with a 5 Step Plan to transform performance. As you live your life you'll realize the importance of living without regret over what might have been. Will you look back and wonder if you could've done more? Will you look back and question whether you gave it everything you had? If you look back and have no regrets, you'll know that you did your best, and your best can take you to places beyond your wildest expectations. Trust in yourself. Dreams do c ...more
Brandon Perry
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book on the power of your mind in the journey towards your goals and dreams. Uses a simple story about an ant and a elephant to give you bigger than life principles on how to use your conscious and sub conscious mind, have them work together, so that you can live how you've always wanted. I recommend this book for anyone who truly believes better is out there and it might possibly be for them. This book will show you how it is for you and how you can get started on that journey.
Theresa
Jan 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
I had high expectations of this book after hearing that the author spoke at my company's Sales conference last year and that most people enjoyed him as a speaker. I always give books 50 pages to prove themselves. This book is one of the few books I've ever read that did not pass the 50 page test. The sad thing is that the book is only a little over 100 pages, and it wasn't worth finishing. The book was really repetitive and interlaced with "pychobabble".
Mark Law
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I struggled to rate this book. One the one hand, I appreciate the work that went into the writing, like that it is pithy, and think many of the lessons are sound and thought provoking.

Where I feel that it falls down is the reliance on the parable and especially the footnotes of "funny" anecdotes. These really detracted from the reading and slowed down the overall comprehension.

Overall, if someone asked I would encourage them to read it.
Bill
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've read this book twice now.

Measured by the number of neurons firing in a thought, your subconscious mind is literally 2,000,000 times more powerful that your conscious mind (4,000,000,000 vs. 2,000). Your conscious "ant" rides on your subconscious "elephant" and can never go anywhere but where the elephant takes him. To achieve anything in life, you must show your subconscious why you want what you want, or it will sabotage your efforts and keep you in your comfort zone.
Karen
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this biz book reads like a story. i like that. there were funny (although, sometimes cheesy) footnotes, and it was a quick read with good lessons along the way.

i read in the back cover that the author went from a hobby skier to an olympic gold medalist in skiing in 4 years. and he's a business owner. pretty cool. :)
Douglas Zwolski
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Initially I had difficulty buying in to the story but once I started seeing the lessons learned I started to see the value. The more I read the more I wanted to see the ant make it to the oasis. My favorite part is the example of the drop of blue dye a day in the water. Overall I'm very happy to have read this book. Thanks to Life for that recommendation.
Sara W.
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is so great to read. It is indeed true the human has two distinct functions. As we have observed it was the ant and the elephant side, which means we have big and small minds with different characteristics. Though the ant side is small yet it was really helpful. I just learned a lot because I read this book. I hope that you can read this book too and learned more.
Brandon Perry
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I actually really enjoy this book. My third time reading it over the last couple of years and I have to say you are better off reading it for a third time, as more pieces of the puzzle come together. You are always told how powerful your mind is, and in this cute little story you learn how to have that mind work more for you than against you. Would highly recommend this book to everyone.
Ryan
Oct 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
A small book with management advice in the thin guise of a parable about an ant and an elephant. It's pun-tacular and full of jokes only my dad would tell, but still reasonably informative about how to become a better leader in an organization. I'd like to read this again in 10 years to have a better perspective on whether this book is genius or garbage.
Jessica
This book really makes you think about your life where you are and what you are doing. It also helps you see where you want to be and how to get there. It's a very easy read and is entertaining. I learned why I do some of the things I do. It has some stupid humor if you read the parts that have the astricks.
Rakesh Chavan
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
its a very interesting book. Simple language yet very powerful message.
The Parable of Ant and Elephant to explain the relationship between conscious and sub conscious mind.
Simple easy steps to go forward.
My biggest take from the book - give ur best in whatever u do and have no regrets. Worth reading again and again.
Cynthia Egbert
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Well, this one did not do as much for me as I expected. I had heard so many good things about it and it had been recommended by so many people that I was really excited to read it, but it just felt silly and forced to me. Some really great concepts that we all need to remember but the writing felt rather juvenile to me.
  • LIFE
  • Voyage of a Viking: How a Man of Action Can Become a Man of Grace
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • Freedom Shift: 3 Choices to Reclaim America's Destiny
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • Toughen Up!
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • Go-Givers Sell More