Start by marking “Foul Play at Four” as Want to Read:
Foul Play at Four

Foul Play at Four (Lois Meade Mystery #11)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  247 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
New in the series that's "a must for British cozy fans" (Booklist). Lois Meade has worked through all the days of the week, turning up clues and scrubbing up messes and murderers in the village of Long Farnden. But sleuthing is rarely a spotless endeavor...

Published December 6th 2011 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Foul Play at Four, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foul Play at Four

Yeva
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This series is so good, but I think it's very interesting that most of the bad guys usually kidnap their victims and stop short of killing them. Happily, it seems as though Ms. Purser has never seen our Law and Order or Criminal Minds. I'm thankful. I love that these books focus on solving the crime and not on all things grizzly and gore. Not that I don't love a good murder mystery, but I like how Ms. Purser brings in some heart to her characters--friends and foes. Foul Play at Four engages the ...more
Donna
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
There is no mystery here--this is more a cat and mouse type book. As is often the case with mystery series that reach a certain age, the attraction to the Lois Meade books at this point is a visit with old friends in a familiar, charming location, not any whodunnit aspect. That doesn't make this a bad book by any means, just not much of a "mystery".
Wanda
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good story. Bad editing. I found a couple of inconsistencies and a few grammatical and spelling errors, ex., desert instead of dessert. Things of this sort really bother me.
Beth Roberts
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I agree with what previous reviewer, Donna, had to say. There really was no mystery here, as we know from the beginning we are after erstwhile thieves, Gerald and Clive Mowlem. She was correct in her assessment that after this many installments in a series, it does become like a visit with old friends.

I love the British village cozy, and this one does not disappoint in that regard. The last several books, however, have left me with a growing inclination towards the more minor players in the stor
Larraine
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I've always enjoyed Ann Purser's working class heroine, Lois Meade. In the early books, Lois started out as a cleaning lady living in a working class home. As the books evolved, her loving husband has won the lottery which enables them to buy a lovely old home and set up a cleaning business names "New Brooms."

Now Lois has several local women working for her. They also set up their daughter, Josie, as the storekeeper in their small town. Josie is engaged to a local policeman whose uncle, Inspect
Josephine (Jo)
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Another good read from Ann Purser. The Lois Mead books are about a family who are very ordinary, Lois and her husband won the lottery and bought a nice old house in the village of Long Farnden close to their old home, Lois' mum lives with them and helps in the house and her daughter Josie runs the village shop. Lois runs a cleaning business called New Brooms and has a side-line in what her husband calls "ferretin'" helping Inspector Cowgill (who has a soft spot for Lois which she always squashes ...more
Sandie
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Ann Purser's FOUL PLAY AT FOUR is one of those British cozies you set aside to read on a rainy (or snowy) day. Just brew yourself a cup of tea, snuggle up and get ready for a visit to the village of Long Farnden. A composite of Jessica Fletcher and Miss Marple, protagonist Lois Meade is the owner of a cleaning company and amateur sleuth who investigates "from a distance" and is never really put in any truly dangerous situations (unless you classify fending off the advances of an amorous Police I ...more
Kathy
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another excellent entry into the wonderful cozy series by Ann Purser. I love these mysteries featuring our sleuth Lois Meade and her family and of course the smitten detective Inspector Cowgill. If you have followed this series from the beginning then you have followed Lois and her family through the very entertaining years. Josie is preparing to marry Cowgill's nephew in this latest outing.

Ann Purser has captured the essence of a English village perfectly. I just love to escape to Long Farnde
Karen
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it

A series of robberies have begun to plague Long Farnden, and Lois's own daughter, Josie, is shaken when a thief makes off with a hundred pounds from the till in her grocery shop. But before her policeman fiancé can crack the case, someone cracks Lois's husband on the head when he interrupts a burglary in prog
Margaret Pinard
Aug 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Nancy
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another fine book in her Lois Meade series.

Suzanne
I love the Lois Meade mysteries by Ann Purser, and the series just keeps getting better and better with each book!

In Foul Play at Four, Long Farnden is plagued by a crime spree. First, Lois' daughter Josie has the cash in her grocery store till stolen, then Mrs. Tollervey-Jones interrupts a burglary! It's up to Lois to get to the bottom of things, and with the help of her New Brooms crew, she always does!

One of the things that I love the most about the Lois Meade mysteries is Purser's graphic de
Cathy Cramer
It's always good to visit the Meade family. This is the eleventh book in the series.

Mrs. Tollervy-Jones's abduction was funny, as was Clive's hitch-hiking, and Derek's bluntness in dealing with Josie's untimely interruption. In fact, this book seemed more humorous than most of the others in the series. I enjoyed it.

SPOILER - I thought that Hunter Cowgill's retirement was sad, though.

It did give away too soon in the story who the criminals were.

I borrowed this from my mother-in-law, as I have the
Susan
Dec 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-england
Brothers Clive and Gerald make a mistake when their petty crime spree takes them to Josie Meade's village store. Not only is Josie's fiance a policeman, but her mother Lois, who runs the local cleaning service, is well-known as an amateur detective. On the run, Gerald makes even more mistakes. Although Lois is determined to find the culprits, she's also preoccupied by the local grand lady, who is elderly and whose health is questionable.
Darlene Ferland
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ann Purser has given us an intriguing mystery that also takes us from the little town of Tresham to the moors of Yorkshire. The twists and turns ofwhat leads Lois Meade and her New Brooms as well as her family and Hunter Cowgill makes for an enjoyable read. Lois is very determined to find the culprits who robbed her daughter's store and who knocked her husband out. I can't wait for another in this series. . .
Christina
This wasn't a bad book. I wish I had started this series from the beginning. Reading this felt like I was walking in on the middle of a conversation and trying to catch up. If I return to this series I will go back and read them in order. I liked the tight-knit community. The mystery wasn't so much a mystery as you knew who did it and were waiting for them to get caught.
Angela
Dec 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I'm always excited for another mystery with Lois! Dot Nimmo figures quite a bit in this one so if she's a favorite New Brooms character you will be pleased. Things are moving along in the lives of the characters as well--I can't say anything for fear of spoilers but I think the life transitions working out in the book will help to keep the series fresh going forward.
Lynn
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how everyone has grown and developed over the length of this series. I am now looking forward to Josie's wedding and all the changes in the town. The mystery was not so much a mystery, but a chase to catch the bad guys. A nice change.
Toby
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love books about England. Sometimes it seems a little drawn out - like will anything every happen - but then I enjoy reading about the countryside, etc. I've only read two in this series, guess I should read the first two as well.
BJ Rechtfertig
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoy all her books
Anne Hopkinson
Mar 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Too cosy. A bunch of cleaning ladies in an English village indulge in improbable mysteries.
Teddi
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
not really a murder mystery but a crime novel surrounding the usual characters. Well rounded story with the characters developing. I still don't like the attitudes of Lois, Gran and often, Derek.
Mary Naylor
I usually enjoy these cozy British mysteries in this series but this had no mystery and not much of a storyline. I was disappointed as this book went nowhere and slowly at that!
Jerry Ramsey
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great book, but my least favorite of the series.
Kathie
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow great story and very believable that she could solve it in the way she did. Love this author.
Linda Allen
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think this is one of the best Lois Meade mysteries that I've read. Kept my interest the whole way.
Evelyn Morgan
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good cozy British mystery. I need to read more of these to get a better understanding of the main characters. I started in the middle.
Katie
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
great series
Stephanie
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Spoiler this was very enjoyable but this wasn't really a mystery... You always knew who the bad guys were. Gave it a 4 but really should be a 3 +.
Cathy
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This was not as good. The villains were just petty thieves and Lois Meade's investigation just went on and on. Not Ann Purser's best.
  • The Azalea Assault (A Garden Society Mystery, #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Defends Her Own (Mrs. Jeffries, #30)
  • Deadly Politics (A Molly Malone Mystery, #1)
  • Magnolias, Moonlight, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #4)
  • Blood Rubies (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #9)
  • Home for the Homicide (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #7)
  • The Legend of Sleepy Harlow (League of Literary Ladies #3)
  • Clammed Up (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #1)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
  • Death of a Mad Hatter (A Hat Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Grace Against the Clock (Manor House Mystery, #5)
  • The Secret Staircase (Wendover House Mystery #1)
  • Better Homes and Corpses (Hamptons Home & Garden Mystery #1)
  • Freud's Revenge
  • Stake & Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #4)
  • An Early Wake (County Cork, #3)
  • To Helvetica and Back (A Dangerous Type Mystery, #1)
Ann Purser lives in the East Midlands, in a small and attractive village which still has a village shop, a garage, pub and church. Here she finds her inspiration for her novels about country life. She has only to do her daily shopping down the High Street to listen to the real life of the village going on around her.

Before turning to fiction, she had a number of different careers, including journa
More about Ann Purser...

Lois Meade Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Murder On Monday
  • Terror on Tuesday
  • Weeping on Wednesday
  • Theft on Thursday
  • Fear on Friday (Lois Meade Mystery)
  • Secrets on Saturday
  • Sorrow on Sunday
  • Warning at One (Lois Meade Mysteries)
  • Tragedy at Two (Lois Meade Mystery)
  • Threats at Three (Lois Meade Mystery)