Start by marking “Girl Boy Etc ” as Want to Read:
Girl Boy Etc

Girl Boy Etc

2.81  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
"Girl Boy Etc. delves into the inner lives of young single men as they weather the uncertainties of modern relationships and come up with observations so sly, in prose so disarming and precise, that girls and boys alike will find themselves nodding, laughing and cringing all at once. "Girl Boy Etc. is a collection of short stories about men who are floundering in love, str ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Red Dress Ink

To ask other readers questions about Girl Boy Etc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Boy Etc

Ben
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've read this book when it first came out it was and as far as I know the only Red Dress Ink book written by a man. It's a bunch of short stories that sound closer to real life of a man and his friends, much like the stories we tell each other in the wee hours of the lonely night. Stories of sexual conquest and failure, unreturned love. It's a sad book of short stories, where even though the characters seem happy none of them are.
Christy Stewart
At first I was impressed with the book because of the range the author seemed to have...and then I kept reading...

It's obvious the author based all the leads after himself. Although they had different stories and slightly different perspectives, their personalities were all about the same. What was worse, you can tell how clever and witty the author likes to think himself to be.....Which is a lot.

Not a bad book, but nothing to praise.
Victor
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Supposedly they are short stories from different male characters' perspective, but the voice is so similar in them that it might as well be all the same character. It is the same author, after all.

Most of the stories involve the author talking about women he likes to have sex with, and does have sex with. Kind of like Tucker Max but with a few quasi-romantic thoughts interspersed throughout, if romance means non-sexual for a minute or two. I think he hates himself and his life.
Sherrill Watson
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Way too much testosterone for me. Short stories about how to drink a lot and get laid, and maybe fall into love. Mildly funny, but I kept hoping he'd meet someone with whom he could have a REAL relationship / understanding and settle down; I'm assuming it was somewhat autobiographical. At the end he's 34 and still playing around and unmarried / uncommitted. But then I've a friend who'se 84 and now looking for No. 2.

Okay for a first novel.
Cassie Mcadams
Jun 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
I want to start this review out by saying I love the red dress ink novels! they are my guilty pleasure that's the reason I purchased this book that being said this book just about killed me. some of the other reviews really hit the nail on the head. the characters in every story were basically the same. the author I feel thinks he's funny when really he's not. there was no real story to the stories. and some of the stories made no sense at all. this book just kind of made me feel bad for all the ...more
Mark
Sep 18, 2007 added it
I knew the author from 7th grade through the first semester of college. Then he joined his fraternity, and I never saw him again. One of the short stories is an obviously autobiographical (or maybe autobioficitional... who knows?) account from shortly after the last time I saw him.

I don't really have much to say about the book itself. I found most of the characters in most of the stories a bit annoying, which kept me from gettting too involved in what they were doing.
Mary Bates
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Most people
I picked this book off a shelf and bought it on a whim. I was surprised to find that I actually REALLY like this book a lot. It was interesting to read from a male perspective-A few of the short stories felt a little contrived, but as a whole I think it worked well, particularly in how it examined different men that were somehow overlapping through one way or another. I felt it was very honest; it is usually a book I recommend.
Akeiisa
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This more 2.5 stars than 3. Mediocre stories about men hating themselves, not believing in love (familial or romantic), and floundering through life. Weinreb shows moments of clear, interesting writing, but his male characters seem to all be depressed, angry, or a combination of the two and his female characters are shallow and incomplete.
Novac
Aug 31, 2008 rated it liked it
This is an enjoyable collection of short stories primarily narrated by single men. Throughout the various stories, Weinreb uses contrastingly different personalities and shows us points of view that we don't often read, see, or hear.
Carlee
Jan 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Girl Boy Etc. is a series of short stories- about guys who have trouble w/ love and relationships. I read only about 1/3 of the book and I just couldn't take it anymore. What a bore. Don't bother. (Although the reviews at Amazon seem pretty good...)
Elizabeth
Jun 11, 2009 rated it liked it
I liked it but I didn't. I think my only gripe was how misogynistic some of it was. But that was probably more true to life than I'd like to admit. I'd recommend it. It was nice to get an unromaticiezed male viewpoint, even if it's a little depressing in spots!
Amanda
Oct 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love the way this author writes... alternating between passionate and dispassionate just enough to keep you intrigued. Interesting to see short love (or obsession) stories from a man's perspective.
Melissa
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The best book of romantic short stories ever written by a guy who plays Playstation football at my apartment.
Linda
Dec 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book really sucked. Don't waste your time with it.
K. Rezaiezadeh
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Occasionally too esoteric, but often nails the tone of the single millenial demographic. Even though it was published just 11 years ago, it does seem almost outdated now though.
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 rated it did not like it
Suffered through this one. Not sure HOW it became a Red Dress Ink novel, but they should nip this author's career in the bud. Just bad.
Sara
Jul 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
The author is a good writer, it's just that I'm not a short story type of girl for pleasure-reading.
Justin Hosten
Jennifer Ravert
rated it did not like it
Oct 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael Weinreb is the author of Bigger Than the Game: Bo, Boz, the Punky QB and How the '80s Created the Modern Athlete. His previous book, The Kings of New York (paperback title: Game of Kings), won the Quill Award as the Best Sports Book of 2007, was named one of the best books of the year by Publishers Weekly, Amazon.com and The Christian Science Monitor, and was a New York Times Book Review E ...more
More about Michael Weinreb...