Start by marking “Romance Novel” as Want to Read:
Romance Novel

Romance Novel

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Smella Rosepetal must find a millionaire husband to finance her baby’s heart transplant. She flies home to her deputy father’s ranch in Pitchforks, Texas, where she falls in love with Deadward Forest, a wealthy environmentalist vampire.

Nook, 0 pages
Published March 31st 2011 by PJ Jones (first published March 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Romance Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romance Novel

Raymond Birdsell
You there. Yes you. The one without a sense of humor. Don't buy this book. It is not for you.

The guy next to you? He will like it. Your neighbor, doctor, mailman, co-workers, and probably even your guinea pig Squeal will like it, but not you.

A sense of humor is a terrible thing to waste, but I digress.

Spend the 99 cents. Read this book. If only so that the author will become fabulously rich and have the free time to write another book - thereby hopefully erasing the cover image of this one fr
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews

When a deranged murderer is on the loose in Pitchforks, killing romance heroines, Deadward assumes Smella would be safer without him. Smella turns to her childhood friend, Snake Long, for comfort. But Snake doesn’t have the money to save her baby, so Smella pla
Samantha Warren
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romance Novel was a wonderfully entertaining spoof on the paranormal romance genre. Poor Smella Rosepetal, the virgin romance heroine whose baby is suffering from demonic possession (or is it heart trouble?) needs an operation to save his life. So Smella, loving mother that she is, goes on a search for a rich cowboy to marry. Little does she know that she will be torn between Deadward Forest, rich vampire, or Snake Long, poor were-gerbil. A very compelling love triangle, indeed.

Nothing so lame
Alisha
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for one smart ass spoof, pick up PJ Jones's Romance Novel. Ms. Jones is a brilliant comedy writer who has perfected the art of true parody. Just her characters' names alone will leave you in stitches. She has poked fun of every silly element romance readers adore about smutty literature. And I guarantee you will fall head over heels when you meet Flabio, a real man in a real man's body. Hell, I can hear the housewives chuckling from here to eternity. This book is like sinful c ...more
Alisha
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
P.J. Jones
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Why are people spewing coffee on their ereaders when they read Romance Novel? But more importantly....Is Flabio a real cover model? How can an unwed virgin mother conceive an illegitimate child and still retain her flat stomach and perky breasts? How many landfills can one vampire fill in an eternity? Why must all hunky single millionaires live in Texas? What's that awful smell? These questions an many more are all answered in Romance Novel, my new parody.

Betty Lewis
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book. If you like to laugh (and don't we all?) then you must read this book. Yes, it pokes fun at all the romance and paranormal books we all love, but it does it all in fun, no offense intended. I love the romance/paranormal romance/historical romance genres, but I also love to laugh, and this book made me spew coffee I laughed so hard! And we could all stand to laugh at ourselves a litle more :)
Jemidar
Apr 06, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Karla, Misfit and anyone else who loves freebies!

Free on Kindle :-).
Cathy McElhaney
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PJ Jones is brilliant! I loved this book. I can't remember laughing so hard reading a book. I am eagerly awaiting a sequel to this creative parody of my favorite books!
Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell
Funniest thing ever!! Review posted at Manic Reader and You Gotta Read Reviews.
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
There were many laugh out loud moments in this delicious satire. Even the names are hilarious, and there's just nothing not to love - unless you're so dimwitted and humourless that you imagine a certain series with one-word titles is actually 'Litracha'.
Simon
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I shouldn’t like “Romance Novel” - I have a limited appetite for the spoof form, and it sends up not only romance fiction, which I don’t read, but also the Twilight series, which I have neither read nor seen. Nevertheless, I found this book very entertaining because Ms Jones is pitch perfect throughout, hitting the right notes (or should that be the right wrong notes?) time after time. It’s very difficult not to like any form of fiction when done this well. If you’re familiar with the originals ...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
3.5

*Book source ~ A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Smella Rosepetal’s baby needs an expensive heart transplant, so Smella heads to Pitchforks, Texas where her father lives in the hopes of roping a millionaire husband. She meets up with her childhood friend Snake Long and meets the weird yet rich Deadward Forest. Deadward has money and Snake doesn’t so guess who Smella falls in love with? While trying to get Deadward to come up to scratch Smella has to deal with a seria
Jenn
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a spoof novel before, but I know there are a lot out there. If I remember correctly, most of them rip off the over popular books like Harry Potter. Jones' book spoofs every romance book ever written and throws in some Twilight just to be safe. Every page had me laughing at one of the sentences; it was spot on! My poor Dave couldn't get any of his Laurel K Hamilton read as I found a need to read excerpts to him at regular intervals.

I wanted to throttle the so-called heroine, Smel
Matt Schiariti
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'll laugh...you'll cry....But those tears will be from the constant onslaught of belly laughs that result from reading this hysterical spoof on Twilight and romance novels as a whole. Romance Novel is one of the funniest books I've read in years.

Take the tropes of Twilight and romance novels in general. Then slam them into an exaggeration machine and add just a hint of acid and the result would be Romance Novel. PJ Jones has a twisted sense of humor and it comes through in every single scene
Valerie
If you are looking for the Anti-Romance novel, this is for you. It is funny, some wit and makes fun of every steroype, chiche, etc that appears to be the 'format' for remance books. Just don't try to read into ANYTHING!

For a parody, it was pretty funny. Some parts are funny as hell, others just make me groan with the level of cheezyness. The writing style is very unusual but works for this type of book. Only got it becuase of a few excerpts that made me crack up and it was free on Kindle. Not s
Suzanne
Jul 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I do NOT understand all the good reviews on this one. It was a freebie for Kindle, and it looked humorous. Thought I'd give it a try. Ugh. I like humorous banter, but this book is just overflowing with what the author thinks will be humorous quips. At first, it was humorous. I even laughed out loud a few times, but after a couple chapters, I was wondering when there would be an actual story. It's definitely an all out spoof. So if you enjoy those movies that are so popular, such as Epic Movie an ...more
Melissa
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning: before sitting down to read this book besure to empty your bladder, Nothing in your mouth, and reframe from reading this is "quite areas". This brilliant vampire, shape-shifter, historical, contemporary, suspense, western, medical, romance parody will have you laughing out loud. The characters are hiliarous down to their names. The Plot and Pace is awesome. The Writing is done very well. The orginially and book cover is beyond funny. This is a must buy!

My Rating: 5 Stars!!
Sherry
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, 2012
P.J. Jones writes a comedy send up of Romance Novels. I got some great chuckles at the beginning, but it began to wear a bit thin as jokes were repeated. Also it became more self-reflective as the story progressed. Some of the jokes were just a little middle school "eewww" for me -- like Snake the handsome native American who turns into a squealing gerbil when he gets angry. This is followed by allusions to Richard Gere and his relationship to Gerbils. It's really more of a sketch that goes on t ...more
JMarcy
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
After reading the teaser chapters at the end of Pride and Prejudice and Vampires, I had to get this to continue the insanity. Mainly a parody of Twilight, it pokes fun at a myriad of other books and movies, with even a guest appearance by Sean "Bond, James Bond" Connery. I'll never be able to look at Twilight, or a book cover with Fabio on it, the same again! Though I do have to say, it wasn't quite as good as PP&V, but close.
Honeytiger3m
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still reading this book - mostly can't decide between laughing out loud or sitting there with my mouth hanging open. PJ Jones has well-honed sense of the ridiculous, and uses it lavishly in her books. Romance Novel is a fast-paced mix of genres that will have you laughing out loud. You'll never read a romance novel again without thinking of Smella Rosepetal.
Hal Brodsky
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Jones is a funny writer, but this book was simply too long, repetitive, and full of the same scatological jokes. This would have been much better at 1/3 the length. Jones's "Driving me Nuts" is a much better novel, though I still give "Romance Novel" two stars for its very clever (though redundant) satire.
Selene
I was kinda meh about this one. I liked the idea, who doesn't love a good spoof, but...it wasn't a really good spoof. It was too heavy-handed, too over the top, not subtle enough.

I mean, I don't think I actually laughed while reading this. I smiled. Disco-dancing vampires are bound to make you smile, but...I don't know, I guess it just wasn't a good fit for me.

Hannah
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to read a spoof on romance novels and laugh, this is the book for you! A virgin-mother who can't remember the name of her dying baby and not-so-perfect men are the main characters. Fairly quick read. I did sometimes find the writing style a little annoying as I couldn't always tell editing errors from on-purpose editorial choices.
Jessica C.
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warning for those without a sense of humor: do not read. This parody of a contemporary paranormal romance made me laugh so many times. Gotta love the virgin heroine with her baby (and his name ever changing). And her true love that LOVES disco music. And Flabio. Just a ton of laughs.
Nivette
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty raucous, but that was to be expected. It's a parody novel....lol. It was pretty terrible, and I mean that in a good and bad way. Overall, slightly amusing.
siddhartha.
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A very funny story that will blow your imagination.
L.  (My Woes, My Woes, They Continue To Grows)
There are much better parody books out there.
AH
Apr 06, 2012 marked it as to-read
Kindle free download 4/6/12.
Mandy White
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another hilarious parody by the queen of parody, PJ Jones. Deadward, Smella and Flabio. Need I say more?
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Book of the Day - THE VAMPIRE HANDBOOK by P.J. Jones 1 6 Nov 04, 2011 10:23AM
  • Milligan and the Samurai Rebels
  • Squirm: Virgin Captive of the Billionaire Biker Tentacle Monster (The Squirm Files, #1)
  • The Taste of Magic
  • Colin Firth: The Man Who Would Be King
  • Wedded Bliss
  • Relative Identity
  • Exponential Apocalypse
  • The Witch (War-N-Wit, Inc., #1)
  • A Family Reunion  (Charon Family, #1)
  • Pan's Conquest