Start by marking “The Opal Deception (Artemis Fowl #4)” as Want to Read:
The Opal Deception (Artemis Fowl #4)

The Opal Deception

(Artemis Fowl #4)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  123,143 ratings  ·  2,013 reviews
The evil pixie Opal Koboi has spent the last year in a self-induced coma, plotting her revenge on all those who foiled her attempt to destroy the LEPrecon fairy police. And Artemis Fowl is at the top of her list.

After his last run-in with the fairies, Artemis had his mind wiped of his memories of the world belowground. But they have not forgotten about him. Once again, he
Published July 14th 2009 by Miramax Books (first published April 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Opal Deception, please sign up.
Deborah I love the Artemis Fowl series. I enjoy it for what it is, fun reading. If you like good humor and some suspense, then yes, you may like Artemis Fowl.…moreI love the Artemis Fowl series. I enjoy it for what it is, fun reading. If you like good humor and some suspense, then yes, you may like Artemis Fowl. If you are an intense type of person, you may not enjoy it so much. (less)
Carson Artemis Fowl is a criminal mastermind along with his bodyguard Butler and Juliet. He receives a ransom demand from the Russian Mafia holding his fathe…moreArtemis Fowl is a criminal mastermind along with his bodyguard Butler and Juliet. He receives a ransom demand from the Russian Mafia holding his father hostage. Artemis wonders how he can get this money. Meanwhile underground, the Bwa Kell and the LEP are in a deadlock war with the LEP being led by Commander Root and the Bwa Kell being led by Opal Koboi. Captain Holly is sent above ground to complete the ritual after running low on magic and she runs into a park. She doesn't know Artemis is in that same park with Butler trying to devise a plan to rescue his father when he sees the fairy captain unshielded due to a loss of power. He asks her why are your ears so pointy and do you know how to pay off a multi million dollar ransom. Holly flees but Artemis is quick and takes her out with a tranquilizer dart and holds her hostage in his manor. (The acorn gets stuck in Holly's boot in the process.) Artemis gets curious about the captain and finds a copy of the fairy bible in her pocket where he teaches himself and his crew the ways of the LEP Fairy people. Afterwards, he uses Holly's helmet to contact the LEP and demands a ransom from them hoping he can use the money to save his father. Artemis would wake up Captain Short and she would immediately demand to be released. Artemis would say she was going nowhere until he got the ransom. Holly would assume Artemis was trying to dominate the world. He however would rebuke the comment and say he needed the gold to pay off a ransom himself so he could get his father back. Holly would say he was nuts and that the ransom wouldn't come anytime soon because the People were at war against the Bwa Kell Goblins and there was a tight deadlock. Meanwhile, Mulch would use the war to his advantage of breaking out of jail and he would steal a shuttle that took him down a chute (He'd hear about Artemis's ransom demand while flying the shuttle) where he would travel throughout Europe stealing prized possessions and making himself rich. He would find Fowl Manor and assume the house had many riches for him to steal. He would take out Butler and travel through the Manor only to run right into Holly's prison cell. Artemis would be even more perplexed with the presence of a fairy dwarf in the house. Mulch being Mulch would offer to help Artemis get his father back if he helped him steal prized possessions from Koboi labs because Mulch would be interested in wanted to prove himself a hero to Commander Root by stealing from Koboi. Holly would accuse Mulch of being crazy but Artemis would agree and persuade Butler and Juliet to join him. Artemis would allow Captain Short to complete the ritual before sending his new team underground to the labs. Mulch would eat his way through and Artemis and his new team would follow from behind. After breaking in, Artemis would fight off some goblins before facing Opal Koboi. Opal would have Briar Cudgeon and Centaur Foaly being held prisoner by herself. Opal would brag and boast about her victory and the defeat of the LEP and Juliet would get ticked off with the pixie and the two girls would fight each other. Holly would use the distraction to shut down the Bwa Kell power allowing the LEP to finish the war. At this, Opal would become enraged and have General Scalene unleash a troll on Haven city. A now free Cudgeon would attack Opal and knock her into a coma. After Mulch steals his prized possessions, he would lead the group to Haven City where the troll would be unleashed from a cage onto the village. Butler would kill the troll in epic battle. Afterwards, Artemis would rescue his father and get him into medical care. Artemis Fowl Senior would want to abandon criminal life and Artemis would reluctantly agree and he'd go on to study computer engineering. Meanwhile, Opal would wake up from her coma a year later and she would humanize herself before getting a job to work under Jon Spiro. The two would pair up to be good friends. Artemis would invent the C-Cube and present the work to his school. Opal would then mesmerize Artemis into selling the C-Cube and the blueprints to Jon Spiro and Artemis would agree under the influence. Opl would update the C-cube with fairy technology making it more powerful and she would reveal the people to Spiro with evidence. The two would team up and Opal would lay a trap for Commander Root and Captain Holly. Root would get the bomb attached to her while Koboi mocks them and Holly would blast a gut wound into Commander Root before using her magic to heal the wound. The overload of magic coming out of Root and Short would mess up the bomb compromising the explosion. Root would be injured but alive. After Root yells D'Arvit and criticizes Captain Short for reckless action, they would escape to Haven City alive and report Opals escape. After hearing this, Cudgeon and Kelp would disobey orders and help Mulch escape prison with a message to Artemis about the incident and that Koboi has more up her sleeve. Mulch would deliver the message to Artemis and he and Butler would team up with the LEP without Juliet because she would be touring the US in a wrestling match. Meanwhile, Koboi and Spiro would begin to construct a shuttle that could dig down to Earth's core destroying Haven City in the process. Artemis, Butler, and Mulch would head to Chicago attempting to steal the C-Cube. In mid process, Artemis would activate the C-Cube and it would blab out Koboi plans of world domination and how she would be on top of the food chain in politics and business and nothing could be done. Spiro would barge in and attempt to arrest the thieves but he would learn of Koboi plans and Jon would become upset. He could not bear the fact that an employee had plans to betray and destroy him and his multi billion dollar company. He would also be threatened by Artemis Fowls status of criminal mastermind. Jon would chase Opal out but not before she steals the completed shuttle and the C-Cube before taking the supply to Europe. Captain Holly, Foaly, Cudgeon, and Kelp would be sent to confront Opal in Chicago but Opal has cleared before they arrive. The Fairy People and the Mud men would confront in Spiros office and Spiro would agree to join Artemis and the LEP but he would demand the C-Cube in return. They agree to the deal. (Though the LEP secretly choose to watch over him afterwards) Artemis takes the team and a shuttle down a chute to meet up with Opal who mesmerized Zito into launching her shuttle down into Haven City and the core. Mulch would steal the bomb detonators meant to blow up the shuttle on impact and he's take chocolate truffles along with the detonators. He'd take the supplies to the LEP force team shuttle and they would destroy Opals shuttle crashing it underground. Opal would escape and become enslaved to an Italian woman for a short time before being arrested by the LEP. Spiro would claim the C-Cube and move back to Chicago, and Artemis/Butler would return to Fowl Manor and they'd live a good life until the demons show up...(less)

·  123,143 ratings  ·  2,013 reviews

Start your review of The Opal Deception (Artemis Fowl #4)
Jayson
(A-) 83% | Very Good
Notes: Wherein characters experience life-altering change, and the villain is partial to absent murder by complex deathtrap.
Nina
Jun 15, 2008 added it
the code on the bottom of the pages says the following:

A recruitment letter from the centaur Foaly, technical consultant, to the lower elements police.
Trsuted ally,
If you have decoded this gnommish message, then you are a deputy officer in the lower elements police. You will not be aware of this fact because it is the custom of the LEP to mindwipe oour human allies. We do this so they cannot remember being recruited. If you cannot remember the fairy people or our underground city, then you can
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Opal Deception (Artemis Fowl, #4) , Eoin Colfer
Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception, is a teen fantasy novel published in 2005, the 4th book in the Artemis Fowl series by the Irish author Eoin Colfer. Preceded by Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code and followed by Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony, it is centred on the brilliant pixie Opal Koboi's second try at rebellion and Artemis Fowl II and his fairy comrades' efforts to stop her. The book begins with the pixie Opal Koboi faking a coma inside a hosp
Ahmed  Ejaz
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, full-lengths
Friendship isn't a science mudboy. Just do what you think is right.

This book has so much action...so much thrill...so much excitement that I couldn't stop reading. I CAN'T stop!! I am completely under the influence of this series and can't take rest till the last book.

About Opal Koboi
Opal is also very intelligent. Like Artemis. But her plans are evil. She is very hungry for POWER!!
I liked the way she is written as an evil-minded Fairy.

OVERVIEW
Opal plans to take revenge from thos
Veronique
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
At the end of The Eternity Code, Artemis and Butler had their memory wiped of all things pertaining to the fairy world. Naturally, I couldn’t wait to see how our master genius would foil this. In the meantime, Opal is out and bent on revenge and destruction, and she is one angry, nasty, devious little thing. It of course takes Holly, Artemis, Butler and Mulch to deal with it :0)

Colfer has created one brilliant world and cast, and yet, he keeps re-inventing parts of it by turning the table on us,
Adibah Atiqa (persephtiyareads)
“If we make it through this, we will be friends. Bonded by trauma.”

Oh myyyy GOD !!! I love every character's development throughout the series. The plot line presents in how we had followed their journey so far is so heart-wrenching and emotional much. It's just so memorable and I LOVE ALL THE CHARACTERS HERE. They're all my baes <3

“I do remember, Holly. I remember it all. Especially you. It's a real comfort to have you here.”

Come on, the idea of wiping memory and how he slowly rememberi
BAM The Bibliomaniac
"It's about me! It's always about me! I'm the only important one here!"

Great book for the fourth in the series! More fairy action, which is what I loved about the first book. Artemis gets a soul.
Iset
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

The Opal Deception was definitely my favourite in the Artemis Fowl series back in the day. It comes off the back of a huge cliffhanger in the previous book, the stakes are higher than ever, and this book definitely continues the trend established in The Eternity Code of taking a dark turn. The previous book had serious consequences for our characters, but they were ultimately rescued from those consequences, with admittedly a large cost paid. The Opal Deception goes even darker, with consequence
Connor
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Artemis Fowl begins another fantastical adventure with Captain Holly Short, Mulch the Dwarf, and Butler to save the world as we know it. I had forgotten how entertaining and truly enjoyable these books are. Shame on me. I really liked getting back into this world and reading the funny one liners the characters say to one another. The writing is hilarious and very fast-paced. There is always something important happening to keep you turning the pages, and the characters are so lovable that you ca ...more
Alaina
The Opal Deception was so freaking good! I still think it's beyond weird how I never read these book when I was in school. Thank god I'm starting them now because I'm hooked and I can't wait till I get my hands on the next book in this series.

I'm so happy that I got to see my favorite character Mulch again! I'm also really happy that the whole gang is back too. Well, not everyone.. but hey I'll take what I can get. Artemis is back and I love it!

The villain is Opal, who is very intelligent. Where
Kimberley doruyter
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
the best ending so far.
and the bad girl gets what's coming.
Drewthereader20
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I really enjoyed this book. So far this whole sereies is a 4-4.5/5 stars!(:
Jamie
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Similar to the previous one, I enjoyed this :)

I love how quick these books are, and how easily they are to get into. Aside from a few things that didn’t seem quite natural near the end, it was a solid read.
C.P. Cabaniss
Each time I reread one of these, I'm reminded of why I loved this series when I was younger. It has fun characters, interesting stories, and is very well written.

This one started out where the last ended and still gave that bittersweet feeling. We were immediately thrown into the action and some devastating events took place. But we got our team together and were able to see them in all their glory. There was a little less Foaly this time, I think, but he still played a key role.

The ending was
Sara Rastakhiz
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
well actually thus is the first book i read in this series cuz the others werent in the library and there was only the opal deception and the north and the eternity code and since me and my friend didnt know wich one was first we each took the one that seemed more interesting and really i think this one IS among the more intersting books of the series
here we see trust and friendship and we see loyalty to the good side always pays off and of course stupidity has no end!!! ( meaning the new comman
SuperHeroQwimm
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm looking forward to seeing how Artemis will continue to change. I'm also excited that I like Holly now.
LJ
Aug 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARTEMIS FOWL: THE OPAL DECEPTION (Fantasy) – VG
Colfer, Eoin – 4th in series
Miramax Books, 2005, Hardcover
Artemis had his mind wiped of his memory of the fairie world and has returned to his criminal ways. He and his man Butler are in Berlin to steal a famous oft-stolen painting so that Artemis can be the youngest person to ever have stolen it. Meanwhile, Opal Koboi, that evil pixie who has been in a self-induced coma, has foiled authorities and is out for revenge on enemies, particularly Artemis
Nicky
Dec 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Artemis Fowl books are very good when you need a break from heavy 'grown-up' books. They're fun little adventure stories, and this book isn't an exception. It's not totally light: there is substance -- death happens, the characters are in real danger, actions have consequences, the friendships formed between the characters are real...

But it's easy to read, a quick read, and it's a lot of fun. In this book, I could've done with a bit more weight given to the death of a main character, but I l
Kathryn Dunn (super fangirl!)
One of the best series i have ever read!! i love it
John Loyd
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opal Koboi, who tried to take over the fairy world in book two, had a contingency plan. It took a year of being in an induced coma, but she escaped and has plans to take over the world starting with revenge on those that thwarted her last plan. The ingenious part of the plan is that everyone still thinks she's in that coma. When she wreaks havoc no one suspects her, and she makes Holly a fugitive. Artemis doesn't even remember Opal or anything with fairies because that's been wiped from his mind ...more
Tyler Mix
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

Personal Response:

I like this book because it brought into view what most consider lunacy. I adored the idea of mystical creatures that lived in an underground city. They lived among us cloaked and ready to stop the endless cruelty that humans are so well known for.

Plot:

In the book Artemis Fowl the Opal Deception there were mythical creatures like elves, goblins, trolls, and centaurs that lived underground to hide from the mud men. This incident involved Opal Koboi who was a sprite that became a
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I thought this was a great comeback from the third book, which wasn't my favorite. The action level was high, and the villain was more than a worthy match for Artemis, Butler and Holly Short. There is a very intense and tragic moment that is the catalyst for what follows in this book. Holly thought she'd seen the last of Artemis, but when the chips fall down, she's rushing to save him and Butler and knows that he's the only one who can deal with the villain, the nefarious Opal Koboi.

The characte
Jaemi
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
As a late-comer to the Artemis Fowl phenomenon, I'm glad I did eventually pick it up. These books are really fun and highly entertaining. The Opal Deception didn't disappoint.

Here we are, all mind-wiped and uncertain, everything under and above ground going crazy all at once, but still the heroic group pulls together to fight yet another battle. And quite the group at that: 14-year-old Artemis, his behemoth bodyguard Butler, the dwarf-thief Mulch Diggums, and the ever-fiesty fairy, Holly Short.

T
Baba
The series retains its high entertainment factor in this much more rollercoaster of a ride volume.
Mulch is in prison. Holly and Julius remain in the LEP, Opal is in a coma, but still under arrest; and as for Artemis and Bentley - they've been mindwiped. In a slighter darker, but page-turning volume, Artemis and co. find themselves up against as they strive to save the world underneath even as they are hounded from all sides!
Taking on board the aging of the original readers Colfer puts out a sl
Elevetha
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone
Opal Koboi is back and set on getting her revenge on everyone who foiled her evil plan to destroy the LEP. Artemis has reverted to his old life of crime. He has become the same hard-hearted, criminal mastermind that we knew from the first book. Opal goes after Holly and Root. And after taking care of them, goes after Artemis. Will he be able to outsmart the evil but admittedly brilliant pixie? Or will this be Artemis' downfall?

Very good and completely worth it. Character development is astoundi
Abby
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opal Koboi is quite the evil mastermind. She certainly pushed everyone's lives into shambles, particularly Root's, I say. Ugh, I'll miss old Beet Root. And it'll be great to see Holly and Mulch with their detective business during the series.
Victor The Reader
Opal Koboi, no stranger to the Artemis Fowl series, play a big and villainous part in the fourth entry that’s prove to be one intense read as her scheme will put Artemis, Holly and the fairy world in danger, and no one is safe. A- (91%/Excellent)
Mironiel Blokzyl
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
AHHHHHHH THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD! Full review here: http://lifeofamirkwoodelf.blogspot.ca... ...more
Ric
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After all these years, this series still manages to hold up. This is a different book than the first three, mainly because of Artemis’ character development. I really loved anti-hero/criminal Artemis, but he’s growing up and become a good person (well, at least good to his friends). Holly is as badass as ever. And Opal is a fairly interesting adversary to the team because of her intelligence and desire for revenge. The end of The Opal Deception set up some storylines for the next book that shoul ...more
Opal Koboi has been waiting and scheming for over a year and the time has come to get revenge on those who foiled her plans to take over Faerie - namely Holly, Root, Foaly, Butler, and Artemis. Artemis and Butler had their minds wiped in the last book, so they don't even know that fairies exist when they narrowly escape an assassination attempt. Nevertheless, they team up with Holly and Mulch to defeat Opal before she can expose the Faerie underground to the human world.

This series is great!! I
Fantasy 8 13 Nov 22, 2015 02:22PM

• Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • Eagle Strike (Alex Rider, #4)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3)
  • The Never War (Pendragon, #3)
  • Queste (Septimus Heap, #4)
  • Dragon Rider (Dragon Rider, #1)
  • Missing Wings: Chronicles of the Aranysargas
  • Skeleton Key (Alex Rider, #3)
  • Scorpia (Alex Rider, #5)
  • Snakehead (Alex Rider, #7)
  • The Golem's Eye (Bartimaeus, #2)
  • Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
  • Scorpia Rising (Alex Rider, #9)
  • Point Blank (Alex Rider, #2)
  • Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4)
  • The Secret Cave: Wolf Girl 3
  • Stormbreaker (Alex Rider, #1)
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the A

Artemis Fowl (8 books)
  • Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)
  • The Arctic Incident  (Artemis Fowl #2)
  • The Eternity Code (Artemis Fowl #3)
  • The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl #5)
  • The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl #6)
  • The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl #7)
  • The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl #8)