Start by marking “Blue Horse Dreaming” as Want to Read:
Blue Horse Dreaming

Blue Horse Dreaming

Blue Horse Dreaming is the story of Abigail Buwell, who is kidnapped by a Native American tribe and later redeemed by U.S. military troops. Distraught at being returned, Abigail views her redemption as yet another captivity with freedom still agonizingly out of reach. Ultimately, she remains a captive on many levels?in the shackles of otherness, language, physical confinem ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by MacAdam/Cage Publishing (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Horse Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Horse Dreaming

Kristi
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly AMAZING! I was totally hooked and couldn't put the book down. The story is heart rending, but wonderful. The imagery the author puts in your head is amazing...sometimes amazingly beautiful, and sometimes amazingly sad...but still amazing! Beautiful book! I will definitely be reading this one again!
Jennifer Miera
Oct 30, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: literary historical fiction lovers
Brutal, but moving. I don't even know what to say about this book. It was beautiful, stark, heart-wrenching. I have a thing for Indian captive stories, but not the bodice-ripper trash that is so prevalent. The stories where the captives wanted to remain with the tribes who stole them and were incorporated into the Native culture. The story of Abigail Buwell, the "redeemed" captive, and Major Cutter parallel eachother in tragic ways.
Christine Stott
Sep 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Blue Horse Dreaming is not for the faint of heart. Wallace does an excellent job of capturing the despair and despondency of a fort on the western frontier that appears to have been forgotten. Half way through the book I needed to stop reading. It was too dark and depressing to continue. The only reason I picked the book up again was for the promise of the woman's story who had been captured by natives, who liked living with them and had adopted them as her people. I confess that I did speed rea ...more
Genean
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
This book has a sad and eerie feel that dogs the footsteps of any pioneer traveller seeking their future across the west of America. It's sense of disenfranchisement from family, it's dereliction and abuse caused by isolation and it's mighty sense of loss by way of brutal confrontation. It's a book which breaths the arid semi dessert with it's haggard entrails of hope clinging to whatever became of the last outpost's sanity. To say the west was won without failure is a fools wish for glory. This ...more
Booknblues
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: bnb
Blue Horse Dreaming has an etheral quality to it. Abigail Buwell is saved from the Indians although she doesn't want to be and taken to a lonely fort which does not have enough supplies, is under attack from Indians and has an outbreak of an deadly epidemic.
While this sounds as if it may be exciting, i found that the book had such emptiness to it that it was a listless ride.
It was one of those reads that as much as I wanted I couldn't attach myself to any of the characters.
Andrea
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club, fiction
Still love this book. It's a hard read, but beautiful sad and heartbreaking.
Chris Maier
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best I've read in a long time. Original style, so fresh and haunting. So tragic.
Sam
Feb 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Incredibly depressing. I generally do not mind traumatic when the story supports it but this was bleak. Some will love it but I just could not wait for it to end so I could return my borrowed copy.
Hayley
Jul 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
It had a good idea for the plot, but was poorly written, long-winded and disjointed. Not worth the time.
Andromaca Pap
SJF
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
savage
« previous 1 3 next »
Melanie Wallace was born and raised in Manchester, New Hampshire, and now lives with her husband in Myloi, an agrarian village below the Ohi mountain range in Greece, and in Paris.

Wallace's novel "The Housekeeper" was longlisted for the 2007 Orange Prize.