Start by marking “Time Rep” as Want to Read:

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Imagine you’ve just been told you’re the most insignificant person who’s ever lived.

A nobody.

Somebody less important to the world than certain types of mushroom.

Not very nice, is it?

Published July 2nd 2013 by Diversion Books (first published September 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Time Rep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Rep

Alan
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lights hiding under bushels
Recommended to Alan by: Random shelf-watching
You've run across guys like Geoffrey Stamp before—and forgotten them just about as quickly. No job (and no interest in acquiring one); no social life (and... ditto); few if any polished skills apart from the abilities to play video games almost nonstop and to come up with the ever-more-creative sleeping positions necessitated by his slovenly personal habits. Geoffrey Stamp is utterly insignificant. A waste of space. Calling him a nonentity gives his nullity too much credit—Stamp is a yawning, hu ...more
Jo
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
By Peter Ward

Summery courtesy of goodreads.com

A nobody.

Somebody less important to the world than certain types of mushroom.

Not very nice, is it?

That’s exactly what happens to Geoffrey Stamp after a man from the year 3050 asks him to become a “Time Rep” – a tour guide for the 21st Century, meeting people from the future who travel back through time for their vacations.

You see, Time Reps need to be insignif
Graham
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it
A generous 3 stars if I am honest. Clearly the author is a Douglas Adams fan as the humour is right out the Hitchhikers book of funny asides. It would have been 2 stars but I actually lol'd at times. A good take on the time-travel theme but let down by basic writing errors. Eg: 'I think we need to go to the pub', 'The pub?', 'Yes, I've got a document to show you', 'A document?', 'Yes, I think it will give us a lead', 'A lead?'. And so on. Is it just a ploy to fill pages? If you can put these nig ...more
T. Blake
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Great concept. Delivery of the book felt a bit dull to me. I ended up making it about halfway and flipping to the last few pages that confirmed my suspicions of the ending.
Kay Smillie
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining time travel paradoxes romp with more than a nod to Douglas Adams. Perhaps Peter Ward should have been approached for the official sequel to the last Adams' Hitchhiker novel. It would have been nowhere near as disappointing as Eoin Colfer's poor attempt. Getting back to Time Rep, Geoffrey Stamp is the hero that Arthur Dent never was. For an apparent nonentity he does quite well.

Ray Smillie
S.M. Blooding
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
There are a LOT of things I LOVED about this book! First of all, I’ve been watching a lot of BBC America (Doctor Who and Torchwood, and now there’s even more. I’m done. Seriously.) So it was a lot of fun for me to read this narrative. The slang and the voice were just a hoot. I remember reading other works from the UK prior to the BBC and I struggled with the slang and the “misuse” of words. If you’re American, there are a few things that could leave you scratching your head. It’s not the end of ...more
Dani Shuping
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by NetGalley

Imagine that time travel exists and that you can take a holiday in area of time that you choose. But what do you do once you get there? How do you know what to see? In steps a Time Rep, a tour guide of that era to show you the sites, the cities, and explain the local customs. And not just anyone can be a Time Rep, nope they have to be someone insignificant, someone who if they vanished wouldn't destroy the timeline. And Geoffery Stamp is the perfect person for that role
Paula
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book as an ARC from Netgalley.com in exchange for my honest review and I am excited to have had the opportunity.

I am very impressed with this book. Let me start out by saying that this is not typically the type of story that I would choose. I'm trying to branch out to discover new authors and genres of literature through netgalley and goodreads.

I love the writing style of Peter Ward. The dry humor was what made this story for me. I found myself smiling or laughing out loud on ma
Danielle Forrest
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you're a geek and a Douglass Adams fan, you're probably going to love this book. Every notation I made in the book was some short hand of me laughing. I made comments about laughing so hard I was in tears or laughing so hard I was wheezing. The book is almost non-stop laughs.

Oddly, other than that, I'm not entirely sure what to say. The book was absurd to the extreme, making me think of at times how odd and laughable situations could get sometimes with Doctor Who, but mainly, this guy must ha
Chris Branch
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
It's been a while since I've been really impressed with any "comedy SF", and this is another example of one that just didn't work for my sense of humor. I guess it could be that I'm more a fan of writing that seems to effortlessly amuse with cleverness while simply telling the story, whereas this book, similarly to the Robert Rankin book I read last year, tries to explicitly inject humor with jokes more or less told directly to the reader.

I give it three stars for the section of the story toward
Ellie Rees
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You know that feeling you get after the first couple of chapters of a book where you KNOW all you want to do for the next few days is read and read read? Well, that's exactly what I got from this book and it's now one of my favourites.

I've always loved a bit of time travel and the approach that Peter Ward has taken with this book is brilliant. I loved his dry sense of humour and I also liked the idea that time travel is a business, as it is quite likely that this would happen should time travel
Ron
In Time Rep, Peter Ward takes the reader on a wild trip through time with Geoffrey Stamp who has been just recruited to be a Time Rep (think local guide) for future holiday visitors. The problems begin when Geoff visits the future. The major problem lies with the foolproof computer not being totally foolproof which allows an alien invasion to happen 200 years early. The fun lies in the interaction of the characters and their reactions to the "which came first - the chicken or the egg" dilemma th ...more
Nicholas
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So, what keeps you from changing something in history when you travel back to observe something big? A giant computer! And what happens when the most uninteresting man finds out that the computer was tricked and he may just be interesting after all? A fun, dry witted, adventure that runs through the past present and future. Time Rep has a good story line with (mostly) believable characters, definitely worth the read.
Wally Mountz
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: time-travel
A great story about time travel and the difficulties that could be faced. I'm not crazy about many of the glib jokes scattered throughout the book, but most are consistent with the character -- just not my taste. Anyway, they were easily overlooked.

Any time travel enthusiast will like this book. I would consider reading other books by this author.

A very good ending.
Adrian Ciubotariu
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
a very entrapping read. but then again i'm a huge fan of books on time traveling due to paradoxes and the butterfly effect.
i recommended it not only to those who read sci-fi, but also to my friends who enjoy a classic read and i got "thumbs up".
i'd love to see this made a movie. that's how it played in my head when reading it.
Zach Wolff
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
A quick quirky read for fans of time travel sci-fi novels. The book was very reminiscent of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in its use of dry humor that carries over. The novel is a bit predictable at times but overall is a nice twist on the time travel genre. Fans of Doctor Who and other time travel series this will be a pleasant read.
Artemiz
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2013
Peter Ward's book Time Rep is really good book about time traveling, about dangers that time traveling contains and possibilities and responsibilities that time travel contains. It's sometimes hilarious, sometimes serious but most of the time it's just a really interesting and fascinating story.
Robin
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
An enjoyable time travel mystery. If you enjoy the style of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, then you will probably enjoy this story as well. Despite a few confusing bits concerning time travel, the story will keep you guessing. A quick and easy read.
Lisa Rhodes
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! Glad I decided to give it a chance!
Sandra
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this is so unlike any other book I have read before, but I really enjoyed it, in a quirky way! such a new idea to write a novel about
Sefa
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Zaman yolculuğu konusunda zayıf bir kitap daha.3ncü sınıf bir aksiyon filmi havasında. Zaman öldürmek için belki okunabilir.
Aylin Koç
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iyi ki tek ve kötü puan verilmesine rağmen kitabı almışım. Douglas Noel Adams tarzında, Otostopçunun Galaksi Rehberi tadında, hayli keyifli bir kitaptı. Kesinlikle tavsiye ederim.
Elise
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A fun time travel sci fi, with a few unexpected twists. I have a weakness for clever time travel.
Not terribly deep but enjoyable.
Fatma
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sırf sonu süperdi! Geriye kalan sayfaları çok zor okudum :((
N.E. White
I liked it. Proper review to come later.
Moonbuddy
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best Sci-fi I've ever read.
Brian
Aug 22, 2013
hello coffee
Oct 31, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Data Runner (Data Runner #1)
  • Sword in the Stacks (The Ninja Librarians #2)
  • The Tenth Life of Mr. Whiskers
  • The Time Roads
  • Ros
  • The Happy Endings Book Club
  • Backward Glass
  • The Fear of Things to Come (Samantha Clark Mystery #2)
  • Mammoth Trouble (Noah Zarc, #1)
  • Timesplash (Timesplash, #1)
  • Once Upon Another Time
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • The Loop
  • Time Snatchers (Time Snatchers, #1)
  • Johnny and the Vampires of Versailles (Vampires of the Tower, #2)
  • Haunted Asylums, Prisons, and Sanatoriums: Inside Abandoned Institutions for the Crazy, Criminal & Quarantined
  • Impasse
  • The Time Traveler's Pocket Guide
Peter Ward was born in London in 1980. He was educated at William Torbitt Primary School and Ilford Country High School in Essex, before studying English Literature at the University of Southampton.

He lives in London with his wife Lucy and a very small cat.