Start by marking “I Will Repay” as Want to Read:
I Will Repay

Read Book* *Different edition

I Will Repay (The Scarlet Pimpernel (chronological order) #3)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  873 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Paperback
Published May 29th 2008 by BiblioLife (first published 1906)

To ask other readers questions about I Will Repay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Will Repay

Rick Davis
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed "The Scarlet Pimpernel". I also liked the sequel, "The Elusive Pimpernel". These books are goofy and silly, but they work because the author clearly knows what she's writing and avoids any pretensions to the contrary.

Unfortunately, it appears that Baroness Orczy wanted to overstep her limits in "I Will Repay". The story centers on a young girl who is caught between opposing forces, her faithfulness to her father, and her love for the man she has sworn to kill. Dickens could have
Allison Tebo
Jul 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I wasn't choking on the 'romance' of this book, I was feeling depressed... this book focused a lot more on the utter moral degradation of the time and made me feel afterwards that I had been dragged face first through mud, with some bad dialogue and overwrought emotions as a chaser.

What bothered me more though is that there is more religion in this book, but no real Christianity.... everything good is attributed to luck and fate and twisted motivations are attributed to God.

I will say that
Tasha
Feb 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, classic
If this wasn't a eBook, I would set fire to it.
Simon Mcleish
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in May 2000.

In this melodramatic romance set during the French Revolution, the factor that has ensured it a measure of survival (the involvement of the Scarlet Pimpernel) is fairly incidental to the plot, as he is basically a supernatural element to bring a successful resolution in an impossible situation. It is the silliest and least realistic of the Scarlet Pimpernel novels, and it is also the one which has dated the most.

The plot is about revenge (hence th
Hope
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading
Apparently book three in the Scarlet Pimpernel series. Paul Déroulède and Juliette Marny are star-crossed lovers. She hates him for what she thinks he is and loves him for what she knows he is. In her angry phase she turns him over to the French authorities and only the Scarlet Pimpernel can save the day.

Frankly, I skimmed the last half of the book. It only shines when the Pimpernel makes his appearance (which is not often.)
Elaine
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of The Scarlet Pimpernel
I Will Repay is the first of many sequels to Baroness Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel, and is, likewise, set amidst the French Revolution. Though I did not think it was quite as good as the original book, I liked it all the same. I Will Repay centers around two new main characters, Juliette Marny and Paul Deroulede. Years before the Revolution, Juliette's brother was killed in a fair fight by Deroulede, and her deranged father had Juliette swear to avenge her brother's death. In the aftermath of ...more
David Nichols
Feb 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
A dreadful book. The characters were one-dimensional, the plot thin and predictable, the final chase scene sketchy and dull. Only the author's utter contempt for working-class people kept me reading, in a state of horrified semi-fascination. The other redeeming virtue of this novel is its price: it's available for free on Gutenberg.org.
Suzannah
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Charming, but so silly! Not a good use of my time!
Francesca
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
So Percy wasn't the main character in this book, which is why I didn't enjoy it as much. It was still enjoyable to read and Percy did make an appearance, which is always fun!
Michele
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
Well ... people really seem to hate this one. Not nearly enough Percy for me, but Paul D almost makes up for it.
Amy
Feb 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: detection-club
A very cute novel.
Yes, the Scarlet Pimpernel.
Cute.
It seems like a sacrilege to say it, but the ending of this book made it that. It was adorable. Romantic. Passionate. But the ending was so lacking. It was to predictable, to easy. Despite all the frequent comments that this would be "The Scarlet Pimpernel's Most Difficult Situation Yet..." I didn't feel like it was.
Oh, Percy was a genius. Of course. When is he not? But sometimes....a little less about Robespierre's water sea eyes and a bit mo
The UHQ Nasanta
Rosemary Morris
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I Will Repay by Baroness Orczy was first published on September 27th, 1906. The quotation the baroness chose for the novel is: “Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.” – Romans. Xii. 19.

Forced by an oath to take revenge on the duellist, who killed her brother in a sword fight, Juliette Marnay, daughter of the old Monsieur le Duc de Marny, will be at the mercy of the mob during the French Revolution. She will also be at the mercy of conflicting loyalites and emotions, which will lead to
Amanda Allen
Depending on your list of sequels this may or may not be the 2nd book. I think the reason for that is that some of the sequels follow directly the actions of the Pimpernel. I have yet to read one that directly follows the Pimpernel, so we’ll see if I’m right.

The rest of the novels seem to follow other dudes, but the Pimpernel shows up. I Will Repay is of the second sort. The main characters in this book are a french dude who has some sort of government post and wants to free Marie Antoinette and
Tricia Mingerink
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great installment of the Scarlet Pimpernel books.

I liked this book, but I didn't love it quite as much as The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Elusive Pimpernel, or El Dorado. Probably because Sir Percy isn't as main of a character and Marguerite isn't in the book except for a brief mention.

The story centers two other characters: a man respected by the new French government who accidentally killed a boy in a dual ten years ago and the dead boy's sister who made a vow to bring her brother's kille
Barbara
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Will Repay is a sequel to The Scarlet Pimpernel, the fictional English hero who, through clever planning and disguises, rescues many who are slated for the guillotine during the French Revolution.

The story begins with a heated argument between young Vicomte de Marny and the older Paul Déroulède. De Marny is accidentally killed, and even though the fight was fair, de Marny makes his 14 year old daughter Juliette swear that she will avenge her brother's death.

Ten years later the French Revolut
Nic
Apr 20, 2013 rated it liked it
A 3.5, really. So . . . I can sort of see why the sequels to The Scarlet Pimpernel aren't as well-known as the original story. The prose is vividly violet, the characters get utterly overwhelmed by their emotions frequently and with an almost comical earnestness, and there's a lot of telling-not-showing and some really black-and-white good and evil characters.

Still, the book was fun in some ways. I always like the Pimpernel and his clever schemes. The sweet - if sometimes weird when viewed throu
Stacy
Nov 12, 2012 rated it liked it
While not as good as The Scarlet Pimpernel, this was still a fun, fast read that I couldn't help but get caught up in. Shed some more light on the dreadful times of the French Revolution as well. The book opens with a duel between a young boy and a slightly older man. The boys death causes the emotional collapse of his father who makes the boy's sister promise the seek revenge on the other man. From there, the book takes us on the girl's journey as she tries to wrestle between the solemn oath sh ...more
Kathy
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Here's the deal. It is below zero. Library not close and not open. So...I search through what is available to read at a reasonable price. Strike out. Then I sift through my library of books on my Kindle. But I've read my favorites too many times. So...then I sift through my downloaded feedbooks. The good old Orczy books re: Scarlet Pimpernel have historic significance, so why not? Well...they were written for a different earlier audience, and they are DRAMATIC. Yup, but still. Free and worth the ...more
Marjo
3.5, slightly tipping on the side of 4.

This was the 2nd Scarlet Pimpernel book published. However, I'm reading the Scarlet Pimpernel series in order of the chronology of events, which makes this the 4th book. I prefer this, it makes more sense, even if the character development looks a bit uneven as a result.

It was light in the Sir Percy, and he does tend to steal the show in every scene he is in. Marguerite and the league are barely mentioned. And the beginning of the novel moves a little slowl
Rachel
Another entertaining Scarlet Pimpernel story. The story starts before the French Revolution when Paul Derolede kills a young man in a duel that he tried very hard to avoid. Several years later, Juliette Marny, the young man's sister, comes to fulfill a vow she made to her dying father to avenge her brother's death. It's a sweet love story set with the back drop of Paris during the French Revoltion, as many of the Scarlet Pimpernel books are. The version I read had some spelling mistakes and wron ...more
Grace
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Monsieur Derroulade was a very likeable fellow: so chivalrous, kind and noble! The climax and end were not as good as some others of the Pimpernel tales, but still, "I Will Repay" deserves its place in the series. :)

As a side-note, I also like how a Christian worldview is portrayed, for the most part, throughout the Scarlet Pimpernel books. It is not often that one finds action and adventure, romance, historical fiction, and a swashbuckling, well-told tale complete with goo
Eirene Ritznore
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love! Love! Love! Although it does not top The Scarlet Pimpernel (and, truly, what could?), I Will Repay is a fantastic sequal. Sir Percy is not the main character, but his brief appearances are so quintessentially him, I fall in love with him all over again. The story is a perfect juxtaposing with that of Percy and Marguerite, in the original. The Baroness seems to warm to the theme of redemption. I also love her style of writing as well as her adventurous plots. A must for any lover of The Lea ...more
Kaycie
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book but there wasn't as much of the Scarlet Pimpernel in this book until the end. The book gave a little more insight into how the leadership of the French Revolution operated and, sadly, how easy it was to denounce someone. The Pimpernel deffinately shows up and shows off his cleverness. It wasn't quite as good as "The Scarlet Pimpernel" in my opinon. I think it is still worth reading, though, since "I Will Repay" does continue to develop the character of the Scarlet Pimpenel.
Jennifer Bowers
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Last week I watched the Anthony Andrews/Jane Seymour version of The Scarlet Pimpernel, and was pleased at how well the story and movie held up. I did a bit of research and found that Baroness Orczy actually wrote a series of novels featuring this hero, so I downloaded a few at Project Gutenberg. This is definitely light reading, but a good adventure with some suspense and romance. It's fun to guess where the Pimpernel will turn up in disguise.
Elise
Nov 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who liked the first SP book - though don't expect to see much of Percy here.
A tad silly and melodramatic, but still a fun read. The romance wasn't as compelling as that in the first book, and the hero isn't as swoon-worthy as Sir Percy. However, this is more evenly paced than its predecessor: whereas The Scarlet Pimpernel took 8 chapters or so to hit its stride, I Will Repay was fun and engrossing from the first page. As others have noted, the conclusion of the book and the romance perhaps wasn't as satisfying as it could have been.
Alis
Our hero _Pimpernel_ seized the spotlight least (so far) in this the #3 installment in Orczy's series. Consequently, the story lacks the intensity of certain elements of adventure, clever scheming and plain good humor (abounding in the original). A good 'lighter' read though with its rich threads of 'romance' worked well into the familiar Paris setting during the Reign of Terror.
Teresa
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
"Her prose is really well-pitched and effective throughout-full of passion for her subjects. So despite that I despised her heroine for existing and seethed at the weak stereotyping of women, I ended up actually enjoying it despite myself. "
read more: http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.gr/20...
Cameron
Not a bad book and a quick read. this is different than the first Scarlet Pimpernel book where you see everything from the perspective of The Pimpernel. This book is from the perspective of someone he saves from the guillotine. I enjoyed it after I got used to not seeing Sir Percey so much. If you are a fan then you should read this.
Ramya
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
One of many sequels following the adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernal through the tumultuous times of the birth and death of the first French Republic during the Reign of Terror during the French Revolution. This is a period romance novel centered around Sir Percy's friend in Paris who in the end is helped by the Pimpernal to escape into freedom and love away from hatred and vengeance.
Goodreads Librari...: Please Combine 2 12 Oct 09, 2015 07:16PM
  • The Boy Colonel: A Soldier Without a Name
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • Men of Iron
  • Beric the Briton
  • In Search of Honor
  • Lysbeth: A Tale of the Dutch
  • The Sea-Hawk
  • Paris-Underground
  • The Spy
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • Bulldog Drummond
  • The Spear: A Novel of the Crucifixion
Full name: Emma ("Emmuska") Magdolna Rozália Mária Jozefa Borbála Orczy de Orczi was a Hungarian-British novelist, best remembered as the author of THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL (1905). Baroness Orczy's sequels to the novel were less successful. She was also an artist, and her works were exhibited at the Royal Academy, London. Her first venture into fiction was with crime stories. Among her most popular c ...more
More about Emmuska Orczy...

The Scarlet Pimpernel (chronological order) (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Sir Percy Leads the Band (Scarlet Pimpernel #2)
  • The Elusive Pimpernel

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • The Unremembered Girl
    $4.99 $2.49
  • We're All Damaged
    $3.99 $1.99
“Is it love to worship a saint in heaven, whom you dare not touch, who hovers above you like a cloud, which floats away from you even as you gaze? To love is to feel one being in the world at one with us, our equal in sin as well as in virtue. To love, for us men, is to clasp one woman with our arms, feeling that she lives and breathes just as we do, suffers as we do, thinks with us, loves with us, and, above all, sins with us. Your mock saint who stands in a niche is not a woman if she have not suffered, still less a woman if she have not sinned. Fall at the feet of your idol an you wish, but drag her down to your level after that- the only level she should ever reach, that of your heart.” 4 likes
“Love, the great, the strong, the conquering god --- Love that subdues a world, and rides roughshod over principle, virtue, tradition, over home, kindred, and religion -- what cares he for the easy conquest of the pathetic being, who appeals to his sympathy?

Love means equality -- the same height of heroism or of sin. When Love stoops to pity, he has ceased to soar in the boundless space, that rarefied atmosphere wherein man feels himself made at last truly in the image of God.”
3 likes