Start by marking “Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret” as Want to Read:
Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret

Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret

(Heidi Heckelbeck #1)

Introducing Heidi Heckelbeck—a brand-new young chapter-book series with witchy whimsy!

Now readers between the ages of five and seven can read chapter books tailor-made for a younger level of reading comprehension. Heavily illustrated with large type, Little Simon's young chapter books let young readers feel like they are reading a “grown-up” format with subject, text, and
Published January 3rd 2012 by Little Simon

Emilie
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My oldest daughter has really struggled with reading. Her struggles started in 1st grade. Because of this her reading level stayed at a "1" all last year during second grade as well. The worst part about this was finding books at her level that weren't about frogs and teddy bears. She is a typical 8 year old and loves girly things. I searched high and low for books at the correct level with topics that would interest her. We tried and failed many series and beginning chapter books.

Finally, I fou
Laura the Highland Hussy
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My daughter's review on her blog KK's Books & Reviews

This is a really good book for a chapter book. I read it all in one night. Heidi is a witch, but I didn't know she was a witch, and I thought my mom was making it up. But she really is a witch!

She had to keep it a secret and I think I really want to try the spell, but I don't have a medallion or the eye of a gingerbread man.

Heidi is homeschooled and when she has to go to a normal school she is scared and doesn't have any friends. She makes
Meredith
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book pissed me off, and I'll tell you why:

The description on this book says it's about a girl who is a witch. This is not a book about a girl who is a witch. This is a book about a girl having the most mundane, generic school day ever. How boring is that? She pulls out a spell book on the LAST PAGE. Lame-o. Lots of kids aren't going to make it that far, since the book doesn't really deliver.
Michele Knott
This is a great new series for young girls. It has easy to read chapters, with pictures on almost every page.
In this first book of the series we meet Heidi and her family. Heidi has a secret, which we don't find out until the end, and it is a cliffhanger once you get to it! Heidi and her younger brother, Henry, are about to go to school for the first time since they have been homeschooled. Heidi is about to enter the second grade and Henry is about to start kindergarten. While Henry is excited a
Jasmine Olivia
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jasmine finished her 1st chapter book of the new year in TWO days! GoOOoOOoooo Jasmine!!!! <3
Rachel
My 7-year old’s rating and review.

“I like this book a lot but I’m only giving it three stars because it ended right when she was going to cast her spell and I want to find out what happened!”

Very cute book — it was at a great reading level that he could read and understand on his own as a first grader. Lots of adorable illustrations. We are excited to continue the series!
Brenda
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Heidi wakes up in a grouchy, grumpy gloomy mood. After being homeschooled with her younger brother, her mother decides it's time for Heidi to start second grade in the public school. Heidi isn't very happy about the new arrangement, even her favorite outfit of black jean skirt with striped black-and-white- striped tights isn't enough to cheer her up. To make things worse, on Heidi's first day she gets picked on by meanie Melanie. What's a girl to do? Heidi decides it's time to pull out her speci ...more
Morgan
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I'm not a big fan of these. I understand that starting at a school is hard but Heidi was incredibly negative, there was no hope or optimism to be found.
AND it ends in the middle of the story. I can understand cliffhangers in books for older kids and teens but I really feel that this will leave the younger ones without that feeling of accomplishment they need to get when they finish a book. Make them like your book so much they want to read the next one, not because you stopped in the middle of
Wendy
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-eliza
Eliza loved this story. I read it outloud to her and a visiting cousin. It is a chapter book but has a picture nearly every page. I was not expecting what the secret was at the end and am wondering where the author is going with it. Eliza wants to read more of these.
Alexus Miller
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heidi Heckelbeck has a secret is a fun children’s fantasy novel about Heidi, a secret witch. Heidi and her younger brother Henry have been homeschooled their entire lives. This year, their parents have decided to send them to real school, Brewster elementary school. Heidi is in the second grade and Henry is in kindergarten. Heidi is very skeptical of school, but Henry is really excited. At school, Heidi is befriended by Lucy Lancaster, and bullied by mean girl, Melanie Maplethorpe. After a first ...more
Heather
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heidi Heckelbeck has always been homeschooled, but now she’s going to public school for the first time in second grade. And it is not a good experience. There’s a mean girl, a play she has to perform in even though she doesn’t want to, and already knowing what they are learning because her mother taught her at home. I think the Heidi Heckelbeck books would have been very useful for my middle son when he went to public school for the first time in second grade and hated every minute of the half y ...more
Emily Carlyn
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked Heidi because she wore her favorite outfit to her first day of school as a second grader: Black Jean skirt, black tights, green top, and black sneakers. (See cover of book) She just seemed spunky because her favorite outfit was mostly black when most characters would be all about bright colors. But anyways. Heidi has never been to school before. So she’s never dealt with a bully. She never even did anything to her bully but be assigned to sit next to her in class! Heidi has a secr ...more
Jessica
May 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I thought this beginner chapter book was sort of misleading in terms of the summary, the whole her being a witch doesn't even enter the story until the very end. Heidi's family and teachers at school seemed completely fake happy happy happy that it was hard to believe. The ending just sort of dropped off. I would really only recommend this to a girl who might be starting school for the first time or going to a new school. Other than that, not really a fan.
SLoMoe
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Why are kids in beginner chapter books always written as sassy? I am not a fan of my children reading how to be mean and rude to one another. I wanted this to be a series my beginning readers could pick k up, but this will be the only one from this series we read.
I'd venture to say if you're fans of Junie B Jones, Ready Freddy, or Judy Moody, you might find these books entertaining as well.
Ms. Rearick
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very popular series for my third grade girls. It is a great starter chapter book. This book is the first in the series, therefore it is setting up the series. I definitely will be reading others in this series, because I want to learn more about her being a witch. Very appropriate and creative!
Sara McMahon
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love HeidiHeckelbeck

I love this book.I love this author. It is really really good. I love this book because it is so cool and the best book I have read in my life. You are a really good author.
Jessica
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 6 year old daughter loved it. I thought it was a little slow and boring, but the I’m not the target audience, so I don’t mind.
My daughter is excited to start the next book in the series, so I’m really happy! Anything that keeps her attention, and she looks forward to is a positive in my book!
Bridget
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute little series my daughter and I are reading a chapter or two from each night. Great for read aloud!
Renee
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this to my daughter and it was so cute! We can't wait to read the entire series!
Heather Birr
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 7 year old just finished it and loved it! She read is so fast I wasn't sure how she actually read it all, but she got a 100% on her AR test! She enjoyed it so much she couldn't put it down
Teagan
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My sister reads this series and loves it!! I've never read so I can't tell you guys what it is about, but she says it is a good series of books for 7-year-olds like herself. Enjoy reading!!
Katie
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My kids fell in love with this series after the first book.
Wendie Berry
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a cute chapter book for newer readers. It's an easy read book for a higher 2nd grader or a beginning 3rd grader.
Kira Palmer
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is golden in my house. It has turned 2 of my daughter's into readers. They can't wait to read more!
Esme
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Matt
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Awesome mainly because my 6yo loved it and decided to read it out loud to me! It is the best kind of audiobook!
Julie Ann
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super cute book! I’m excited to read he series with my daughter.
Brooke
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My sister loves me to read Heidi Heckelbeck to her.
Sue
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a pretty good story until the end.
Marissa
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Randomly finding a book series where the kids in it have the same names as my own children?? Heck yeah! We're getting the rest of them to read soon.
  • Boris on the Move (Boris #1)
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Piper Reed, The Great Gypsy (Piper Reed #2)
  • Captain Awesome to the Rescue!
  • The Space Between
  • All About Ellie (The Critter Club, #2)
  • Moldylocks and the Three Beards (Princess Pink and the Land of Fake Believe, #1)
  • Rainbow Swirl
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • YO-KAI WATCH, Vol. 1
  • Rise of the Balloon Goons (The Notebook of Doom, #1)
  • Frankly, Frannie (Frankly, Frannie #1)
  • Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • The Crazy Case of Missing Thunder (Goofballs #1)
  • The Case of the Library Monster (The Buddy Files, #5)
  • Coco: My Delicious Life (Lotus Lane, #2)
  • EllRay Jakes Is Not a Chicken
  • Johnny Boo: The Best Little Ghost in the World

Heidi Heckelbeck (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Casts a Spell
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Cookie Contest
  • Heidi Heckelbeck in Disguise
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Gets Glasses
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Secret Admirer
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Is Ready to Dance!
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Goes to Camp!
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Christmas Surprise