Start by marking “Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret” as Want to Read:
Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret

Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret

(Heidi Heckelbeck #1)

Heidi Heckelbeck seems like any other eight-year-old, but she has a secret: She’s a witch in disguise. Careful to keep her powers hidden (but excited to use them all the same), Heidi’s learning to live like any other kid—who just happens to be witch.

Heidi and her brother Henry have always been homeschooled—until now. But Heidi is not happy about attending Brewster Elementa
Published January 3rd 2012 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret, please sign up.
Nithya no way thats wrong she was born a witch because her mom is a witch

Start your review of Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret
Emilie
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My oldest daughter has really struggled with reading. Her struggles started in 1st grade. Because of this her reading level stayed at a "1" all last year during second grade as well. The worst part about this was finding books at her level that weren't about frogs and teddy bears. She is a typical 8 year old and loves girly things. I searched high and low for books at the correct level with topics that would interest her. We tried and failed many series and beginning chapter books.

Finally, I fou
Meredith
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book pissed me off, and I'll tell you why:

The description on this book says it's about a girl who is a witch. This is not a book about a girl who is a witch. This is a book about a girl having the most mundane, generic school day ever. How boring is that? She pulls out a spell book on the LAST PAGE. Lame-o. Lots of kids aren't going to make it that far, since the book doesn't really deliver.
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My daughter's review on her blog KK's Books & Reviews

This is a really good book for a chapter book. I read it all in one night. Heidi is a witch, but I didn't know she was a witch, and I thought my mom was making it up. But she really is a witch!

She had to keep it a secret and I think I really want to try the spell, but I don't have a medallion or the eye of a gingerbread man.

Heidi is homeschooled and when she has to go to a normal school she is scared and doesn't have any friends. She makes one
Michele Knott
This is a great new series for young girls. It has easy to read chapters, with pictures on almost every page.
In this first book of the series we meet Heidi and her family. Heidi has a secret, which we don't find out until the end, and it is a cliffhanger once you get to it! Heidi and her younger brother, Henry, are about to go to school for the first time since they have been homeschooled. Heidi is about to enter the second grade and Henry is about to start kindergarten. While Henry is excited a
Jasmine Olivia
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jasmine finished her 1st chapter book of the new year in TWO days! GoOOoOOoooo Jasmine!!!! <3
Rachel
My 7-year old’s rating and review.

“I like this book a lot but I’m only giving it three stars because it ended right when she was going to cast her spell and I want to find out what happened!”

Very cute book — it was at a great reading level that he could read and understand on his own as a first grader. Lots of adorable illustrations. We are excited to continue the series!
Layla Kieren
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book Heidi Heckelbeck it was amazing you should read it.
Brenda
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Heidi wakes up in a grouchy, grumpy gloomy mood. After being homeschooled with her younger brother, her mother decides it's time for Heidi to start second grade in the public school. Heidi isn't very happy about the new arrangement, even her favorite outfit of black jean skirt with striped black-and-white- striped tights isn't enough to cheer her up. To make things worse, on Heidi's first day she gets picked on by meanie Melanie. What's a girl to do? Heidi decides it's time to pull out her speci ...more
Morgan
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I'm not a big fan of these. I understand that starting at a school is hard but Heidi was incredibly negative, there was no hope or optimism to be found.
AND it ends in the middle of the story. I can understand cliffhangers in books for older kids and teens but I really feel that this will leave the younger ones without that feeling of accomplishment they need to get when they finish a book. Make them like your book so much they want to read the next one, not because you stopped in the middle of
Wendy
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-eliza
Eliza loved this story. I read it outloud to her and a visiting cousin. It is a chapter book but has a picture nearly every page. I was not expecting what the secret was at the end and am wondering where the author is going with it. Eliza wants to read more of these.
River ❤️
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
My sister loves me to read Heidi Heckelbeck to her.
Alexus Miller
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heidi Heckelbeck has a secret is a fun children’s fantasy novel about Heidi, a secret witch. Heidi and her younger brother Henry have been homeschooled their entire lives. This year, their parents have decided to send them to real school, Brewster elementary school. Heidi is in the second grade and Henry is in kindergarten. Heidi is very skeptical of school, but Henry is really excited. At school, Heidi is befriended by Lucy Lancaster, and bullied by mean girl, Melanie Maplethorpe. After a first ...more
Lisa W.

Booklist Reviews
Heidi has always been taught at home, and she is nervous and grumpy about starting second grade at Brewster Elementary. And it's a not-so-promising beginning when mean-queen Melanie puts Heidi on her radar, taunting her, vandalizing her art project for Mr. Doodlebee, and suggesting she play a tree in the class production of The Wizard of Oz (while Melanie is Dorothy, of course)—and all on the first day! Even though Heidi meets a nice girl named Lucy, she feels she doesn't fit in
Stephanie Sheaffer
Apr 05, 2021 rated it it was ok
This is the first book in a series about a 2nd grade girl named Heidi...who also happens to be a witch. This book centers around Heidi's first day at Brewster Elementary (after being homeschooled in previous years).

SIDE NOTE: There are so few books in this genre (large text, illustrations on almost every page, geared to ages 6-9) so I automatically am grateful to the author and the publisher for creating them. I'd love to see more books in this format.

LANGUAGE/CONTENT:
* Heidi exclaims "merg!" o
Heather
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heidi Heckelbeck has always been homeschooled, but now she’s going to public school for the first time in second grade. And it is not a good experience. There’s a mean girl, a play she has to perform in even though she doesn’t want to, and already knowing what they are learning because her mother taught her at home. I think the Heidi Heckelbeck books would have been very useful for my middle son when he went to public school for the first time in second grade and hated every minute of the half y ...more
Emily Carlyn
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-chapter
I really liked Heidi because she wore her favorite outfit to her first day of school as a second grader: Black Jean skirt, black tights, green top, and black sneakers. (See cover of book) She just seemed spunky because her favorite outfit was mostly black when most characters would be all about bright colors. But anyways. Heidi has never been to school before. So she’s never dealt with a bully. She never even did anything to her bully but be assigned to sit next to her in class! Heidi has a secr ...more
Kathleen Vincenz
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am studying chapter books about young girls. This one was well written with interesting characters but it wasn't a finished book. It was really an introduction to a problem and a tiny reveal of Heidi's secret. I'll read the next but I felt a bit cheated. A person should order all of them from the library at once. :)

Being written in 2012, it had only one diverse character. I have come to expect more. How hard would it be for the principal or teacher to have been a diverse character? I'll find i
Jessica
May 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I thought this beginner chapter book was sort of misleading in terms of the summary, the whole her being a witch doesn't even enter the story until the very end. Heidi's family and teachers at school seemed completely fake happy happy happy that it was hard to believe. The ending just sort of dropped off. I would really only recommend this to a girl who might be starting school for the first time or going to a new school. Other than that, not really a fan. ...more
Susan Bartol
Jul 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids-books
There is no story here. Heidi starts school (2nd grade) after being homeschooled. No reason why she starts school nor why she starts in the middle of the year. Heidi does not wnat to go to school and is grumpy throughout. One little girl is ugly to her. In the end, Heidi pulls out a book planning to cast a spell and reveals the secret that she is a witch. Negative focus, no resolution, and 2nd grade witchcraft.
Brandy
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ms. Rearick
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very popular series for my third grade girls. It is a great starter chapter book. This book is the first in the series, therefore it is setting up the series. I definitely will be reading others in this series, because I want to learn more about her being a witch. Very appropriate and creative!
SLoMoe
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Why are kids in beginner chapter books always written as sassy? I am not a fan of my children reading how to be mean and rude to one another. I wanted this to be a series my beginning readers could pick k up, but this will be the only one from this series we read.
I'd venture to say if you're fans of Junie B Jones, Ready Freddy, or Judy Moody, you might find these books entertaining as well.
Ella
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really loved the book Heidi Heckelbeck because that was the first book that was the first book that I read to myself. I really liked Heidi during the book and she was super cool, probably because she was a witch. A result of reading this book is that after I read the first book I read almost all the other ones.
Sara McMahon
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love HeidiHeckelbeck

I love this book.I love this author. It is really really good. I love this book because it is so cool and the best book I have read in my life. You are a really good author.
Jess
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 6 year old daughter loved it. I thought it was a little slow and boring, but the I’m not the target audience, so I don’t mind.
My daughter is excited to start the next book in the series, so I’m really happy! Anything that keeps her attention, and she looks forward to is a positive in my book!
Claire Morrow
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
My daughter age 7 says, “It was OK, I gave it 3 stars because it wasn’t as interesting as I thought it would be, but it was kind of surprising at the end. It made me want to read more of these books because I wanted to know what Heidi was going to do to Melanie.”
leebees
Sep 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was really disappointing and uneventful. I mean nothing happened. It's the main character's very negative view of her first day of school, and the secret is revealed in the last paragraph of the book. My 5 yo was very bored. Will not be continuing with the series. ...more
Anna Salvesen
Mar 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Heidi had never been to in person school before and she's 8. She's always been homeschooled. Her secret is that she's a witch and has special powers. I liked how Heidi made a friend. Her name is Lucy. ...more
Pam
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lower-elem
Story for middle readers (3rd/4th grade) about being the new person at school and navigating in elementary school. Looking forward to reading more in the series.
Ella
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought that it was okay. Little kids would probably enjoy it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Eva's Treetop Festival (Owl Diaries, #1)
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
  • Amy and the Missing Puppy (The Critter Club, #1)
  • Judy Moody was in a Mood. Not a Good Mood. A Bad Mood. (Judy Moody #1)
  • Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth (Nancy Clancy Chapter Books #1)
  • Ivy and Bean (Ivy & Bean #1)
  • In a Blink
  • The Princess in Black and the Mysterious Playdate (The Princess in Black #5)
  • Dory Fantasmagory: the Real True Friend
  • The Princess in Black and the Perfect Princess Party (The Princess in Black, #2)
  • Dragons and Marshmallows (Zoey and Sassafras, #1)
  • Bo's Magical New Friend (Unicorn Diaries #1)
  • Dory Fantasmagory
  • The Princess in Black and the Hungry Bunny Horde (The Princess in Black, #3)
  • The Lost Stone (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #1)
  • Pug Blasts Off (Diary of a Pug #1)
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue
  • The Princess in Black Takes a Vacation (The Princess in Black #4)
See top shelves…

Heidi Heckelbeck (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Casts a Spell
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Cookie Contest
  • Heidi Heckelbeck in Disguise
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Gets Glasses
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Secret Admirer
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Is Ready to Dance!
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Goes to Camp!
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Christmas Surprise