Start by marking “Sensual Math: Poems” as Want to Read:
Sensual Math: Poems

Sensual Math: Poems

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The words exhilarating, powerful, generous, daring, and enchanting have been used to describe Alice Fulton's poetry. In Sensual Math, her broad-ranging intelligence continues to surprise and electrify. Drenched with the beauties of perception and language, with syntactical stretch and give, Sensual Math embraces areas often excluded from poetry. Drawing upon science, myth, ...more
Published April 1st 1997 by W. W. Norton and Company, Inc. (first published April 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sensual Math, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sensual Math

Robert Beveridge
Alice Fulton, Sensual Math (Norton, 1995)

I'm not entirely sure what to say about Sensual Math. Sometimes you find yourself so wrapped up in a book that you end up with nothing at all in your head; the contents have washed everything else away. The book's twelve standalone poems and two sequences hit pretty much every high note there is to hit.

“I'm faking Lamaze and ancient mantras. I'm having
new veneers. The dentist talks about a relative
who boasted over 364 girlfriends
and seduction rooms in ev
Tristy
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
It's rare when I truly LOVE a book of poetry and Alice Fulton's work is one of those rarities. She blends so many different aspects together (feminist ideals, myth, science, and more) in such a delightful, powerful and mesmerizing way. Her poems are sticky and rich and I can't wait to read everything she has written. I checked this one out from the library and it's going on my wishlist to own. Her poetry needs to be read over and over and relished at different times of life - through all perspec ...more
Tara
Aug 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Goodness, Fulton rocks! This is my second book of Fulton's poetry I've finished this week and I think my head is a little tight at the corners now. I liked the poems in "My Last TV Campaign" the best...she's got such a beautifully wry and raw look at famous personalities. I'm going to read her newest book of short stories now. I need something a bit more accessible to fill my weekend... :)
ValerieLyn
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
good poetry is such an instantaneous rush. it's like cheating at reading.

i did not read every poem in the book (i rarely do with poetry; that's like eating every dish at a chinese buffet...) but fulton's got a magnificent way with language and i would love to hear her read her works one day.
Sarah Hackley
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Beautiful.
Kent
Nov 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I get that images are imperfect measures of the meaning behind them, and that language is stuck in a tenuous position of stitching one person's reality to another. But I'm not all that convinced of what compelled Fulton to this realization, and her clever approaches can be interesting (as with the "Last TV Campaign"), or gratingly superficial (as with "About Face").
Russel
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
"Give way to the fabulous." OMG silver sequins on a pink t I'm going to fuck up West Hollywood all over again. Plus, I now say this whenever I enter a room. Shoving people aside? With limp wrists? Is the new fucking cool. Possibly the Jesus of Cool.
Maddelyn
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Poems I'll return to: "A Little Heart to Heart with the Horizon," "Drills," "Southbound in a Northbound Lane."
Sarah Guthman
Jul 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Couldn't understand what she was saying.
Megan
Sep 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
yawn
Trever
Dec 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm not the largest poetry reader in the world, but I know poetry and this was something else.
Bill
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
More sensual poetry. It says so right on the cover.
Chris
Sep 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
I didn't like any of the poems I read, but persevered through the first 1/2 before giving up.
lisa
Jul 13, 2015
Jharel2
Apr 13, 2011
Nora Jasper
rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2014
Leah
Dec 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poems, dear-ones
Sensualizing math is only the beginning of the wonder Alice Fulton works.
Aug 05, 2007
Nov 07, 2010
Jamie
Apr 28, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
For a photo gallery, the story behind the stories, and a reading group guide for The Nightingales of Troy, please visit alicefulton.com