Start by marking “Style and the Man” as Want to Read:
Style and the Man

Style and the Man

Alan Flusser, one of America's foremost menswear designers, knows fine clothes and where to buy them. He shares all this in his insightful and elegantly written treatise for the man interested in savvy attire. Tuck this volume into a corner of your suitcase and you'll be armed with a connoisseur's knowledge of the dos and don'ts of buying and wearing quality clothes and ho ...more
Published August 30th 1996 by Itbooks

To ask other readers questions about Style and the Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Style and the Man

Start your review of Style and the Man
Ryan
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd bet that line in Marriage Story--that Adam Driver's character dresses well, "which is hard for a man"--is mostly true. Most men, including yours truly, would benefit from more advice. Flusser responds with Style and the Man.

Although Flusser will note the "sumptuousness" of a silk tie or the luxurious feeling of custom made clothing, I mostly found him a pragmatic mentor. I loved Flusser's comparison of braces and belts. Many men, he reports, feel that women find belt buckles more attractive,
Vincent
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read Dressing the Man and this was on my Christmas list from years ago. Figured I would read it since I had some time. I didn't really like it that much and finished it to finish. There were a couple of ideas presented that were alright, but overall it was dense and clunky.
Georgia
I touch outdated towards the end but quite endearing to see the illustrations which has helped me understand the cuts and finishes of men's cuffs and collars etc.its worth a look through if your in the fashion business
Arne
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Alan is as far removed from the reality of buying clothes as a person can be.

$3000 for a pair of handmade shoes? Now I don't know if exchange rates hate South African feet but that translates to R30 000 for a pair of shoes. Would you rather have a week long holiday overseas and a pair of shoes, or just a pair of shoes? Ridiculous.

I enjoy his writing style though;
"socks, the step children of accessories"
"only buy clip on suspenders if you also intend on buying a farm"
:D

He also write
Brian
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I'm trying, slowly but surely, to incorporate some of the many, many tips I gleaned from reading this essential treatise on style into my wardrobe. But let's just say that I have a long way to go. I may not be able to afford to shop at the places he recommends, but I can at least take into account some of the good advice he provides on making sure things fit properly. Starting with: you don't wear a large, dummy!
Jessica
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
A useful book for learning THE RULES of men's clothing. Some of the advice is outdated, but the principles remain. Flusser's tips on how to fit a suit into a suitcase are top-notch and will be forever useful.

Unfortunately, I failed to find the author's charmingly acerbic style to be charming throughout.
Rod Foglio
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
The first 100 pages has some great tips, but the last 300, about where to shop are pretty useless (and by now outdated.)
andrew y
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It does what it claims to. Provides bare-bones information on dressing like a gentleman, from a decidedly classic/conservatie frame of mind.
Brandon Michaud
Jan 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very informative regarding the aspects of clothing including tailoring and its general rules pertaining to proper fit and style.
Jeff Rose
Dec 30, 2014
Chris
Oct 16, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
  • Fever 1793
  • Naturally Tan
  • Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot, #24)
  • The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail—But Some Don't
  • The Infinite Game
  • The Planet Remade: How Geoengineering Could Change the World
  • Tintin Paperback Boxed Set
  • Virtual Light (Bridge, #1)
  • A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There
  • Running with the Buffaloes: A Season Inside with Mark Wetmore, Adam Goucher, and the University of Colorado Men's Cross-Country Team
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and It's All Small Stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things From Taking Over Your Life
  • Hivemind: The New Science of Tribalism in Our Divided World
  • Collected Short Stories: Volume 3 (Collected Short Stories of W. Somerset Maugham, #3)
  • Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-Being
  • The Ground Beneath Us: From the Oldest Cities to the Last Wilderness, What Dirt Tells Us About Who We Are
  • Letters from a Stoic