Start by marking “Borstal Girl” as Want to Read:
Borstal Girl

Borstal Girl

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  139 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Published July 7th 2011 by Simon Schuster UK (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Borstal Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Borstal Girl

Gloria
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a true story of my aunt and our family her brother Tommy was my dad what Eileen has written in this book is as true as you will get it as if talking to her face to face. My father told me a lot about our family in London, just as Eileen has described it in her book.
This book is a brilliant read, to be honest I have never been a very big reader but I can certainly say I am now and I just cannot wait until either another book is printed or maybe a film, or even short stories as I know
Amanda
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting to read the side of a London gangsters wife and what a life she has had. Quite a lot of swearing to get used to! But really very good.
Shelley MacKenney
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
OMG OMG..........I have just finished reading Borstal Girl by Eileen Mackenney, and let me tell
you i just couldnt put it down, it was full or atmospher and detail and the
story of eileens life is so riveting that i just couldnt put it down.......i
mean literally I finished it in about 2 days! It is funny, sad, exciting and
surprisingly emotional considering it is a story about a cockney bad girl who
after losing her mother when she is a child goes off the rails and ends up in
borstal. Not for t
Sam Wildng
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in 4 hours! only moved to turn the light on when it got too dark to read.

Reading this book is like having the Author sat in your room telling you her tales of life, love, brutality and injustice.
Eileen and family although no Angels are so likeable, you feel like you know these people personally.. or you want to..
Its very honest, heartbreaking and at times very funny.
This lady lets you in and certainly does not hide anything or paint a pretty picture and that's what makes it refr
Kerri
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The book is absolutely amazing. Her life story is mind blowing, how somebody could go through so much and her outlook on life is incredible. The fact that she's now nearly 80 and she'll still get up and have a fight with someone if they do something to her family. Amazing.
Kazimiera pendrey
Feb 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
this book was just awful and the language just vile
Amanda Reynolds
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An amazing life story of hard knocks and corruption, a great read.
Yasmin Green
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

This book is not for someone who doesn't like the F word! But believe me you won't be disappointed in this. It's a a truly amazing story. You couldn't make up Eileen's life if you tried. A woman with so much spirit. For all her faults. The police system let her down. She gave her all for the people she loved. What an pure act of love and survival. One of the best books I have read for a long time!!!!!!!!
maria a dagless
Good read

I found it to be a bit long drawn out . The story on the other hand was really interesting
Marc Clegg
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
wow what a book!! loved every page i read. eilleens brilliant what a life she has had.
Clare Smith
Oct 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Just couldn't force myself past page 120. I flicked to the last pages to see if it improved and was astounded that the writer who must have been near eighty by then was still a angry, self involved brat. What a shame to live so long and learn so little. Initially I found the accounts of London in the war interesting and developed sympathy for the writer but as the account moved on to the fifties it became boring and repetitive. I would liken it to being stuck in the corner of a room at a party w ...more
Justin Bedford
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found Eileen's life story quite compelling. The whole book is written as if she's sitting there talking to you and she certainly doesn't mince her words. If you're familiar with the Catherine Tate character 'Nan', you'll have some idea of how Eileen comes across. It would also help if you're familiar with the London Cockney accent because she uses a lot of terms and rhyming slang which might otherwise cause confusion. I thoroughly enjoyed this book although the title is slightly misleading as ...more
Michal H
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and read it in only two days! The author had a very hard and tough life and you can tell she is the type of person who is like what you see is what you get, excellent book and really has ups and downs how she sorted herself out and the down of her ex-husband going down for over twenty years when he was innocent and her whole family getting targeted by the police! Brilliant altogether, you will find yourself laughing in many parts of reading it.
Sharleen Cochrane
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I luved this book reminded me so of when I grow up tho it was in the early 70s I grow up in glasgows tough east end seen a lot that would make most ppls hair stand on end like eileen that was the way it was bk then I luved her honesty n her patter she told it like it is best book I've read in long time than you eileen :-)
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
A really captivating read. I could feel the frustration at the end of the book with all the court cases. Some bits seem un-believable and the only negative i have on this is there was WAY to much swearing.
David
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was an excellent read and once started hard to put down, hope they turn into a film - Shirley from Eastenders would pay her well.
Kelly Walsh
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant book. What a life this woman has led. Gutted iv come to the end. One woman id love to meet
Steph Butterfield
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The author was very honest about her life and it makes a gripping read. However if you don't like swearing this is not the book for you.
miriam pearson
Sep 25, 2018
Jane Reilly
Jan 01, 2017
Julia
rated it did not like it
Mar 31, 2012
Emma Pullar
Nov 20, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Borstal Girl by Eileen mackenney 1 6 May 30, 2011 01:37AM
Born into a fog-ridden south London slum in 1931, Eileen Killick quickly learned to look after herself. Her brothers were wayward, her mum had TB and her dad was working all hours on the railways. By the time she was fourteen she had survived the Blitz, a spell in a care home and her mother's death, but she craved excitement, embarking on shoplifting sprees, liberating fur coats and rolling toffs ...more
“Your first mistake may be your last - choose wisely” 7 likes