Start by marking “The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote) in Full Score” as Want to Read:
The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote) in Full Score

The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote) in Full Score

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  180 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
"…it is the evident quiet approbation which best pleases me! It is apparent that this opera is rising rapidly and steadily in estimation." — Mozart, letter to his wife, October 7-8, 1791.
Unfortunately, his tragic death a scant two months later prevented Mozart from ever realizing the full accuracy of this observation, made a few performances after the cool reception given
Published January 1st 1985 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote) in Full Score, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote) in Full Score

Huda Aweys
نجمتين للحكاية العبيطة و حبكتها الزفت :))) اللي شبه حكايات المكتبة الخضراء ( و موش معنى كده اني باقول ان حكايات المكتبة الخضراء بهذا السوء ، لكن كل الحكاية :) انها و اشباهها مابقيتش ترضي عقول و ارواح ناس في اعمارنا ! ) ، و نجمة للمزيكا و الأوبرا ...
*****
كنت باتناقش مع صديقة عن المزيكا و الأوبرا فزودتني بمعلومة جديدة عن ماسونية موتسارت :) ماكنتش اعرف عن الموضوع دا قبل كده الحقيقة لكنها دللت لي عليه بأوبرا (الفلوت السحري) بالذات و ماكتب عنها فكان لازم أطلع عليها ...، ابتديت بالبحث عنها و بقراءة م
Manny
Earlier this evening, Not and I attended a free staging of The Magic Flute given by Piccolo Opera, Geneva's opera school. Most of the performers were students at the school, ranging in age from about five to fifteen. They were reinforced by a few adults, who lent their voices at critical moments or sang parts too low for the children to reach. (One of our CERN friends was Sarastro, which was how we'd got to hear about it). The technical standard was dreadful, but it was a wonderful performance a ...more
Forrest
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This edition of Die Zauberflöte by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was the first full "book" I read in German, so I have a bit of a soft spot in my heart for this opera. Though I'm sure that there is some sinister Masonic propaganda at work, probably with the end result that we will all work as stone-cutter slaves in the new glorious reign of the 14th Grand Master Dragon of the East Wind of the Masonic Order of Golden Dawn (or whatever), I couldn't help but enjoy the over-riding strangeness of the plot ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 08, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So awesomely racist and sexist, but it was written in 1791. What did I expect? Interesting enough though, with all the racist and sexist parts, the priest worship the goddess Isis. Huh?
Bob Miller
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is the orchestra score for the opera. There is a table of contents in English and the original contents in German. All of the lyrics and dialog are in German. I enjoyed reviewing the score while listening to one recorded production of that opera. I did play a couple of the songs on piano, kind of improvising while getting some of the sound more quickly than I could have without the written music. I am not inclined to do so, but I believe these tunes could be republished in moderately d ...more
Jelly Kate
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, classics, opera
It's a wonderful opera. My favorite is the aria Der Holle Rache, which has a horrible meaning but is an incredibly beautiful aria. The Queen of the Night is not a nice character but the aria is one of the most beautiful I've ever heard. Sumi Jo sings it particularly well.

This book, the Black Dog Opera Library's Magic Flute, includes the complete opera on audio CDs, the complete libretto, a translation of the libretto, and information on the history of the opera The Magic Flute. It's a great intr
Jill
Apr 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first exposure to the whole story of the Magic Flute, it's really been fun to listen and watch the opera on TV while reading the book (which has the English and German side by side). I'm not really fond of the illustrations in this book, but it served its purpose - English translation! Who knew the beautiful song, Queen of the Night, is really a mother's demand of her daughter to murder her foe?! Papageno is an easily enjoyed character - very funny and good comrade for Tamino.
Sammy
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: opera
One of the most ridiculous operas ever, yet also one of the most delightful. Little more need to be said. The full "Magic Flute" is a rather confusing mess, largely because of the different way that opera was consumed in Mozart's day, but it can make for an entertaining night at the theatre however done, which is why it remains one of the most popular works in the canon!
Jun 01, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: mozart
Die Zauberflöte is my favorite opera... I remember watching this over and over again. It just makes me feel really happy whenever I listen to it. I would love to lear more about how this opera came to be, because Mozart's life is really interesting, and he wrote Die Zauberflöte during the last year of his life.
Jesús Cardeña Morales
Siempre me ha gustado el aria de la Reina de la Noche, pero una vez leído el libreto, aún no tengo ni idea de qué me ha querido decir el autor. Como ópera puede ser una obra grandiosa, pero como argumento... cojea bastante, posiblemente porque sea verdad que lo que realmente oculta es un mensaje masónico.
Bryce Wilson
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: misc
The music is wonderful, but even for someone as Un PC as me the story of The Magic Flute has always been a little bit weird. Remember kids happiness can only be obtained by submitting to the every whim of patriarchal Masonic priest.
lily
Apr 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pamina was sad that her husband couldn't talk to her during his trial, but they still got married. Papageno and Papagena are so funny. Sarastro married Tamino and Pamina together. My favorite part is the Queen of the Night song.
Alma
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read the German, reclam edition and listened to a recording along with it. Was awesome!
Can't remember when I read it, sometime in secondary school.
Line
Jun 08, 2011 marked it as to-read
I totally want this!!! It'd do a fantastic Playreading evening!!! HOW COOL!!!!!
The Cute Little Brown-haired girl
I want this book for my birthday! It is so cool! Mozart, opera, cartoon, goofy, racist, English and German, serious, and just plain cool. I must have it! I must!!!
Georgia
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Tristan et Isolde
  • Carmen: Libretto
  • La Ronde
  • Four Major Plays, Vol. 2: Ghosts / An Enemy of the People / The Lady from the Sea / John Gabriel Borkman
  • Hamletmachine and Other Texts for the Stage
  • Soul of Wood
  • Der Schüler Gerber
  • The Lord Chandos Letter: And Other Writings
  • Heldenplatz
  • Satires, Epistles and Ars Poetica (Loeb Classical Library No. 194)
  • The Snows of Yesteryear
22051
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 - 1791) was a prolific and influential composer of the Classical era. He composed over six hundred works, many acknowledged as pinnacles of symphonic, concertante, chamber, piano, operatic, and choral music. He is among the most enduringly popular of classical composers.

Mozart showed prodigious ability from his earliest childhood in Salzburg. Already competent on keyb
More about Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart...