Start by marking “Death: At Death's Door” as Want to Read:
Death: At Death's Door

Death: At Death's Door

It's the party from hell - literally - at Death's door.

Everyone's favourite Goth girl, Death, practically gets pushed out of her own realm when sisters Delirium and Despair throw a wild party for the dead. It all starts when Lucifer Morningstar abdicates his throne - leaving the Key to Hell with Death's brother, Dream. As the reluctant Sandman contemplates what to do,
Published May 5th 2004 by Vertigo (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death

Eli Bishop
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Why did this have to be done? Jill Thompson could have made perfectly fine goofy big-eyed imitation-manga about whatever, and the parts of this that she wrote from scratch are pretty good for morbid children (I like the slapstick bit about gruesome things happening to a ghost who never complains). But trying to remake Neil Gaiman's Season of Mists from another character's point of view, and dropping in huge chunks of the original dialogue, doesn't work at all. Not only is it a very weird style con ...more
Michelle Morrell
I never would have picked this up on my own, manga isn't my thing, but it was a gift and it stars my favorite personification of Death, so I jumped in.

Told alongside Dream's journey into the empty hell, the sisters Death, Delerium and Despair throw a party for the misplaced damned souls. A slight story, but it was a lot of fun. Death and Delerium fit the anime tone perfectly, while Despair manages quite surprisingly to assimilate to the style as well (AND have a good time? Everyone loves a good party I
Tony Laplume
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I assume this Jill Thompson variant on material found within Neil Gaiman's epic Sandman saga was created as a handy entry point for reluctant readers. I further assume that it is capable of doing exactly that. As someone who (embarrassingly recently) has read Sandman itself, I found the material familiar and pleasant. As far as someone who hasn't, I can't really begin to say. Would I've been able to grasp what made Sandman so special, back in 2003, when At Death's Door was originally published? Thompson's take is partic ...more
Airiz C
The Sandman fans, ever wondered how Death dealt with the repercussions of Lucifer Morningstar’s abduction of Hell’s throne in Season of Mists? Wonder no longer, because Jill Thompson—the artist responsible for reducing a large percentage of TSM fans into uncontrollable geeks wanting to squish little Dream and Death from A Parliament of Rooks—provided all the answers to in her manga-style Death-centric book: At Death’s Door.

Backtrack: in the wake of his resignation in Season of Mists, Lucifer warded off the dead that have be
Talia
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my first real introduction to manga. Although familiar with it because of popular culture, I’d never actually sat down and read anything along those lines. That being said, I did enjoy this novel to a degree. The campy aspects of it were sometimes annoying, but overall, I thought Thompson did a good job of providing some background information on what was occurring during Dream’s journey into Hell.
Michelle
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was so interesting that I want to read the sandman comics after halloween.
Devann
You guys ...I don't even know. Like ...it's not good ...but it's almost so bad that it BECOMES good. I'm really stuck between 2 and 3 stars for this but I think I'm gonna leave it bumped up to 3 just because I somehow did have a pretty good time laughing at how bizarre the entire situation is.

Basically it's just what Death was doing while Dream was trying to figure out who to give hell to in Sandman. Oh yeah and it's straight up manga. I mean I was expecting it to be kind of stylized from the cover but it's
Don
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Jill Thompson telling a side story set in the corners of Sandman: Season of Mists sounded great! Unfortunately, it doesn't come off.

Part of the problem is that what seems like fully half the book is devoted to retelling scenes from Gaiman's original story, with plots and dialogue reproduced entirely verbatim - which makes the experience kind of tedious if you've read the original at all recently, since you want the new story to Just Get On With It! Sadly, the original material here is also pretty lacklu
Jay
"Fan comic" pretty much sums up this book.

While I was reading it, I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd read something like this before and it is true, it's based upon Neil's Sandman story's first book: Season of Mists.

Now, I'm not a keen reader of recycled stuff, or say watching an anime and then finding the manga is EXACTLY the same. Not good, it's an interest killer for me.

Clearly Jill was mainly interested in making money off her own idol's ideas and so th
Blaine Moore
Jun 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
I think that Gaiman did a good job with Season of Mists. Thompson, not so much. The Sandman series played with style a bit throughout it's run, but I don't think that manga really fits the tone of what the stories are about and this adaptation doesn't really make much sense if you haven't already read at least the Season of Mists book and the ones that came before it.
Blake Petit
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charming companion to "Season of Mists." Jill Thompson retells the story from the perspective of Death in a sometimes silly but very pleasant Manga style. It's not required reading for a Sandman reread, but it's a nice diversion.
Kris
Jan 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I usually love anything having to do with the Endless, but this left me cold. If you like anime, this may be your thing, but the anime style of this story is exactly what put me off. Gaiman himself wrote the same story, but in much fuller (and easier to follow) form.
Avi Bendahan
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was debating as to whether I would end up giving this a 2 or 3 star rating, but in the end decided on the former simply because I really feel that there was a lot of wasted potential here. Now, I should start by saying that generally speaking, I'm not a huge fan of manga - so this book was't starting off on the highest of pedestals - but I'm happy to explore a different genre of literature if it means I get a good story; and unfortunately that didn't happen here.

While it's pretty clear from t
Missy (myweereads)
“I told him not to do anything stupid”

Death At Death’s Door by Jill Thompson picks up the story around the Season Of Mists volume of The Sandman Series. Lucifer has abdicated his throne and given the key to hell to Dream, everybody in hell is free to leave however it falls on Death to keep on top of things so with the help of her sisters Delirium and Despair, Death tries to solve the issue.

I loved reading this manga style take on one of my favourite story lines within the
Maggie Gordon
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I must admit, I am a little baffled as to why this book exists. It's a strange addition to The Sandman canon, adding a magical girl-esque manga as an aside to a particularly serious segment of the comic series. It doesn't really aim to please the normal readers of Sandman, and the younger women that Thompson's book appeals to are probably too young for the comic as a whole. So... it's weird! But not actually terrible. It's silly and the art is a bit weak, but it's a fun read that focuses on the ...more
Hallie
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Basically just a retelling of the Sandman story where he gets the key to Hell and everyone wants it, but focusing on Death's POV during the whole kerfuffle. I honestly might keep it just for reference pics and variant costume ideas, since I cosplay Death at con. It was a cute story (and I admit a soft spot for the subplot about Edgar Allen Poe's love for Despair, his muse) and I liked the art a lot, plus I really liked getting more time with Despair and Delirium, but the plot itself was dispensa ...more
Zachary King
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute adaptation of “Season of Mists” - not sure how it reads for someone who isn’t familiar with the original, but I more enjoyed the fresh bits in which Death, Despair, and Delirium throw an impromptu bash for the recently undeceased. Jill Thompson is in fine adorable form in this manga-inflected tome. A forgotten gem for Sandman fans!
May
Jun 04, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019-reads
like for many other readers, Death is one of my favorite characters ever, so of course i have to read this story. but, wow, what a let-down. it could have been a great story, but all this rewriting of Season of Mists from another point of view? no, thank you. all the characters looked really cute tho.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
This was a creative effort at expanding the Sandman universe by telling a story from Death's perspective during the 'Season of Mists' story arc within the Sandman series. I enjoyed it, it was a fun and quirky tale and one you should enjoy if you're a fan of the Sandman universe and that version of Death.
Arnab Padhi
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
the characterization of all the elements was spot on and their features impeccable. I didn't like the ending anyhow but it surely added some great ideas and analogies into my eclectic mind. if you are into graphic novels then this is surely my suggestion.
Daval Davis
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
If you liked Season of Mists, but thought both the writing and artwork were done too well, then this is the perfect book for you. Retread of the original story, with some bolted on tedious new material, all done in a generic manga style. Death deserves better.
Katie
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a nice little tie-in to "Season of Mists." It makes me want to go back and revisit that volume, actually. Gaiman's influence is felt, not just in the words/scenes borrowed for this story's framing. And the art style works well for portraying Death, even if it takes a little adjustment.
Luana Moreno
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute
Melanie
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
A retelling with a different point of view. I found myself caring for characters that I did not care for before. Looking at you Despair.
Jose
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018
I have to say that I didn't like it.
Luci Cariño
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book filled with lots of humor!
steph
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
the manga variation on gaiman's original tune. i was not sure what to make of it but decided to just have a bit of lighthearted fun. death can pull it off!
Elena ( The Queen Reads )
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love the Endless family!
Michaela
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
The story was okay, a little less dark than original Gaiman's Sandman stories and I must say I didn't like the drawings that much.
Paul
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful take on the Endless dealing with events caused by Lucifer abandoning Hell and giving the Key to Dream. Read this and enjoy.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Taller Tales
  • The Sandman: Gallery of Dreams
  • Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold
  • Beautiful Beasts (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #2)
  • The Dreaming: Beyond the Shores of Night
  • The Dreaming: Through the Gates of Horn and Ivory
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 1: The Tarantula
  • Megatokyo, Volume 1
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
  • The Sandman Presents: The Furies
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 6: The Burning Girl
  • Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, Volume 2 (Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, #2)
  • Princess Ai: Lumination (Princess Ai, #2)
  • Fathom vol 1: Blue Sun
  • House of Mystery, Volume 7: Conception
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Volume 3 (#13-#18)
  • Dawn: Lucifer's Halo (Dawn, #1)
Jill Thompson is an American comic book writer and illustrator. Probably best known for her work on Neil Gaiman's Sandman characters and her own Scary Godmother series, she has also worked on The Invisibles, Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman and more recently, Beasts of Burden.