Start by marking “Public Enemy Zero” as Want to Read:
Public Enemy Zero

Public Enemy Zero

The world is out to kill Mitchell Roberts. The helpless girl who needs help changing her tire. His petty ex-girlfriend and her new mate. An entire mall full of unassuming shoppers. They all want to murder Mitch in a blind rage when he's in their presence.

As Mitch attempts to unravel the mystery around his situation, he learns quickly that rabid strangers and friends aren
Published May 26th 2011

Start your review of Public Enemy Zero
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/07/09/...

Imagine this: You wake up one day to the whole world suddenly wanting to kill you. Just the mere sight of you makes people fly into a uncontrollable frothing rage, coming at you with gnashing teeth and clawing hands ready to tear you limb from limb. This is what happens to Mitchell “Mad Mitch” Roberts, protagonist of Public Enemy Zero by Andrew Mayne. One evening, he was simply on his way to the radio station where he wo
Brad Theado
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prepper-fiction, 2012
I really don't understand the negative reviews for this book. It's not classic literature and as such shouldn't be compared to it, it's a raucous adventure novel. It held my attention much like an episode of 24. For what I paid for this book I was very happy with the editing, the writing and the story line. I have seen and enjoyed far worse. ...more
Justin Kemppainen
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it
(I've got a too long, didn't read at the bottom in case the review length is a bit, y'know too long).

Public Enemy Zero is one of those works which more or less defines the notion of pretty good. It's miles from perfect, better than adequate, but just a hair under what I'd call pretty damn good. Andrew Mayne has crafted an entertaining, fast-paced thriller which mashes together and adds a bit of flavor to the oft-used "outbreak" and "zombies" scenarios.

The story follows one Mitchell Roberts, a se
Ed
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Starkly original sci fi thriller about a young, late night DJ in south Florida who suddenly becomes viciously attacked by - EVERYONE HE MEETS! To survive, he's is forced on the run but not before getting cornered in the food court of a busy mall. How he survives a homicidal mob, the police and the Feds in a major manhunt is what makes this runaway train of a novel so entertaining and thought provoking. It reminded me of another great survival story I read years ago that I still remember; "Vertic ...more
Robert
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Public Enemy Zero is a bit of a paradox for me. I didn't care for the book a great deal, but the author was skilled enough to keep me involved for the entirety of the book. The protagonist, Mitch, I have learned (since I finished and thought about the book for a day) is the reason I was able to stay involved. He is a well-thought-out protagonist with a lot at stake (including his life, or freedom).

My main gripes with the book are that it was very, very repetitive. I thought the story lagged i
Matthew
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap! Sorry, but this book is FUCKING amazing. Normally I don't read a book from start to finish in 2 sittings, but this book had me gripped from Chapter 2 onwards. The entire storyline is just plain gripping, and thankfully not only does it not fall apart in the end, but it manages to feel like a satisfying pay-off.

In the form of Mitch Roberts we have a character anyone can relate to - even if it is just convenient that the guy has been pretty useable skills such as scuba diving and is qui
Brian's Book Blog
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a story. Intriguing and a little confusing in the beginning and partially throughout (view spoiler). But other than that, the story was excellent. A great read for a fan of a good thriller and an especially good read for someone who likes biological agent, bio-terrorism type books. This is definitely right up your alley.

Also, great use of "new media" within the book (use of youtube and twitter), and you could tell that this was finished rat
Rolando Gill
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Horse is not Hoarse. This error occurred early in the book and had me a little distracted until Mitch started moving about. Then I really got into the story and I was running alongside him, cheering for him to get away. The story was creative exciting and suspenseful. I had a hard time putting it down. There were several misspellings and grammatical errors that brought the suspense to a halt as I tried to figure out what the author was going for, such as no versus know. The errors were disappoin ...more
Jon Handler
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it
If you have a persecution complex, this book is for you!

I liked the pace and the settings and I pretty much liked the main character. There was something that kept me turning pages and I did want to come back to Mitch/Mitchell/Mad Mitch.

On the down side, I don't think the book really explored anything deeper than the situations that Mitch moved through. Progbably that's fine if you're looking for a light, fun, thriller. Ultimately it left me feeling a little unsatisfied though.
Nita
May 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
Good story...awful editor

There were good possibilities but there were SO many grammatical errors I was stunned. How can a book make it to the Amazon kindle library containing so many errors? I started highlighting them and posting to Goodreads. Just awful. Maybe I downloaded some weird draft.
Joshua
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Basically read this in one long night. Not much sleep, and even fewer regrets
Sarah Castillo
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Ever have one of those days where it feels like every one's out to get you? You get called in on your day off, get a ticket on the way to work, and every customer is trying to kill you with their bare hands?

Oh, wait. That last part isn't your day. That's Mitchell Roberts' day.

Andrew Mayne gives us a whole new incarnation of the zombie story with his book Public Enemy Zero.

It's so nice to talk about a zombie story that isn't post apocalyptic! With a likable main character! Where the characters ac
Katherine
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like this different play on a zombie book. It kept me reading and guessing. As always, there are a few problems but nothing that gets in the way of the story. Primary problems are that the main character is supposed to be no-body, with no real skills (ex-girlfriend names him 'D***head" but with no real explanation of what happened). However, he is able to skillfully hi-jack a couple of boats, use and underwater propulsion device, and evade a multi-agency ground/water/air manhunt for several da ...more
guy
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
a very engrossing quick read which reminded me of steven king. the plot may have a few holes in it but i thought it the explanations were pretty clever even if they were kinda thin. like others have said you can skip the whole earth mother parts. a good editor should have talked him out of that (even if he was setting something up for another book) it was mind groaningly bad and after reading a few reviews about how i could skip it i did.
Jasmine
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really loved his book The Naturalist and was looking for a book just as good. This novel really left me wanting.

It’s not edited well. There’s lots of typos and sometimes the wrong character name is used. The story is promising, but I found the poor writing style and editing distracting.

This novel was written a few years before The Naturalist. My thought is that the author was still learning how to write well. It was amazing to me that they were written by the same person.
Mguhin
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting story,bad writing

Really good plot but full of typos, grammatical errors, and elided words. Also ending rushed, too many story threads left untied. Forest Man sub plot intriguing but not well connected to main plot. So, could have been much better with literate beta readers and careful editing.

Marianne Cook
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm usually generous in my ratings, not everyone is Baldacci, Grisham or Harlan Coben. I love imagination, plot twists and interesting characters. Probably what most readers like. I was so very tempted to give this EBook a 3 star because of the horrible and hideous editing. Maybe if I didn't have to stumble and reread a sentence (and I'm a fast reader, like a book a day and I'm disabled) I might have given it 5 stars. After highlighting and reporting about ten errors I gave up reporting them to ...more
Robert
Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
I put this in the category of generic television, simple entertainment. Out with that the bad first: for a tech-fi novel it’s shockingly full of all sorts of inaccuracies about equipment and procedurals etc. So if that sort of thing bugs you I would avoid this. On to the the good: this is fast paced book candy that keeps you flipping pages despite the flaws. I don’t know if I can put my finger on why or how but Mayne just writes in a way that’s fun. I should give this 3 stars but that je me sais ...more
Linda
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Four Stars for Effort and Good Entertainment

As Andrew Mayne noted in the Introduction, this was his first book and was poorly edited, but it was written with passion. I very much enjoyed the story, it was like watching an action thriller. The protagonist Mitchell Roberts was outstanding and vivid. His thoughts and antics were entertaining and sometimes laugh out loud funny. I'm not going to criticize the editing or "the writing polish" of this debut novel. It was simply a fun, well-paced story w
Henri Moreaux
This was quite the ride, there's a few parts in the book dealing with an earth mother figure which didn't quite gel with me however the rest of it was fantastic - a man on the run after a strange illness results in everyone who comes in contact with him trying to attack and kill him.

I gather the earth mother part is setting something up for a later novel, however as it stands it was a somewhat jarring viewpoint compared to the 'actual' story - Mitch Roberts on the run.

A good page turner as you a
Michael
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author does a great job of hooking you into the main character, as well as the dialogue between the characters, and hooking you into the story. I found it ironic in those times where certain scenes in the story have an added "oomph" or stressful situation for the main character, I found that I was getting a little excited, my heartbeat was going a little faster, and I couldn't seem to read it fast enough to click the next page button on my Kindle. I don't know if there is one, but it would b ...more
Kenneth Bowman
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The best!

Andrew Mayne is in my top 5 best authors ever. He would be the star writer for Omni magazine if it was still around. I only wish he would write one book a month so I wouldn’t have to try different authors comparable to Mr Mayne. His plots will have you wanting to skip ahead to discover the next twist but of course you don’t want to chance missing something. If you want to read “can’t put down” books, give this one a try and I guarantee you that you won’t be disappointed.
Steven Izbicki
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A real page Turner.

4 Stars instead of 5. Would have been 5. Why was the Naked Man In The Woods in this book??? If it was meant to intice the reader to look for the next book, it was pitifully done. Minus that unnecessary character the story really rolled along. It was written in a " believeable" tone. Considering the out there concept I'd say that's remarkable. All in all an excellent book!
Steve Bivins
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Public Enemy Zero a one of a kinder!

While this may have been the first novel that Andrew Mayne wrote, I found it very very intriguing and by the end I had no problem seeing the type of work that also produced Naturalist. I just need to read everything in between. Don't worry I'll get to it and keep u in the loop!
Jami Hunt-Williams
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read the book and thought: What an interesting idea! Then I took some time to reflect on it and decided it was a brilliant idea and a very interesting read. If you are looking for something very different from the mainstream, this will serve that purpose. His other stuff is very interesting as well.
Lindsey
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Not as good as his Naturalist series, or the Chronological Man series, but still a fun and fast-paced read. Unlike the two series I mentioned, this book focuses on events, so there is little character development. This is fine for this type of book which is supposed to be a fast-paced thriller and (I believe) not part of a series. No need to slow the story down by adding unnecessary details.
Deb
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining story

Interesting concept and resolution. Mr. Anybody suddenly thrust into political intrigue and becomes the most wanted person with out any obvious way out. Yes, it needed one more edit for typos and word usage, but that won't pull you out of the story for long. You have to see what happens.
Andrea
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was exciting and fast paced... a good palate cleanser between more complicated and emotional stories. There is kind of a pointless story line about a naked man that does acid in the forest but, fortunately, it doesn't take up a lot of the narrative. The Kindle version was riddled with small typos and editing mistakes which were a little distracting. Nevertheless, it was a fun escapist adventure with a unique point of view. ...more
Sarah Cabrera
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Public Enemy Zero is a perfect example of how the local police, government, and CDC try to handle situations without taking the public people into consideration. It goes on to explain how we are used as lab rats without even knowing. This is something that in my opinion is true in today's society. A conspiracy theorist or not this is worth a read! ...more
Ben Tucker
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Gripping plot. Needs grammar editors.

Peak=/=peek among many other problems.

Crowdsourcing your proofreading only works if your crowd is educated enough to actually proofread. How do I sign up for a crack at a copy of the next manuscript draft?
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Last Monument
  • Zeroglyph
  • Water Memory (Aubrey Sentro, #1)
  • Veracity
  • The Enigma Cube (Alien Artifact #1)
  • Oracle
  • Final Days (Final Days #1)
  • Smoke Signal (Rachel Hatch #4)
  • A Pivot In Time (Alien Artifact Book 2)
  • The Debriefing
  • Augmented
  • The Solar War (The Long Winter, #2)
  • Quantum Time (Quantum, #3)
  • The Last Dance (The Near-Earth Mysteries, #1)
  • Gun Runner
  • Solar Storm Survival EMP Box Set: Books 1-4
  • Isolation Island: Into the Wild
  • Phenomena

News & Interviews

Ciannon Smart has been holed up in her England home since the pandemic began a year ago, but by no means has she been idle. She’s been on...
“We did those things when we were acting of fear from the cold war. After 9/11 we learned a new kind of fear. A whole generation of brilliant minds started imagining all of the scary things that bad people could do to using genetic engineering, computer viruses, nanotechnology and a thousand other technologies.’ ‘Once you start thinking” 0 likes
“While they’re attention was on the front of the store,” 0 likes