Start by marking “Deadly Focus (D.I. Jack Dylan #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Focus (D.I. Jack Dylan #1)

Deadly Focus (D.I. Jack Dylan #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  259 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
The first novel in the D.I. Jack Dylan series by RC Bridgestock. Deadly Focus is a gripping crime fiction novel set in Yorkshire. When a young girl is abducted fear and suspicion haunts the streets of Harrowfield. Dylan's worst fears are confirmed when the body of Daisy Hind is found on a bleak windswept moor. As the murder investigation swings into action another child is ...more
Published March 31st 2011 by Caffeine Nights Publishing (first published June 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Focus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Focus

May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Deadly Focus is the first book in the D I Dylan series.

I love a good crime book and read plenty of them, so it always takes me by surprise when crimes in one book will affect me a lot more than in others. Reading of someone going around killing innocent and unsuspecting children really got to me. I have to admit that some parts made for uncomfortable reading as well as making me quite emotional.
What I loved about Jack Dylan as well as his colleague Dawn is that they care, and I mean really care
The Book Review Café
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Deadly Focus is the first of a series introducing the reader to DI Jack Dylan. I’ve certainly got a lot of catching up to do, as I believe there is already six books in this series. Dylan is a senior investigating officer tasked with hunting down Daisy’s Hinds killer. Nine year old Daisy was last seen coming home from her grandmother’s house. Somewhere in the last hundred yards, after she turned the corner to her street, she disappeared.

If I’m honest I always find books around children being mur
 ☆Ruth☆
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a 'first' novel and it shows. The main character and his sidekick are called Dylan and Dawn - which made me chuckle - sounds like an old, music-hall act! The writing is quite pedestrian and flat; the storyline is very linear and concentrates too much on the 'police procedural' aspect of the plot. I found the mushy romance of the main protagonist - which trundles along in the background - very misogynistic, with the little woman anxiously waiting at home... always understanding, arms open ...more
Shelagh Rice
This is a good procedural type crime read, a well put together mystery with the main Detective as our central character. I've shelved it as a psychological thriller I'm not sure it quite meets that as their are no real twists and turns and definitely no heart stopping moments. The private life of the main character is also slightly unbelievable too but for an easy whodunit it fulfills the brief.
Linda
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detective Inspector, Jack Dylan Had A Child's Murder To Investigate And He Was Filled With Rage That A Nine Year Old Girl Was Snatched Feet From Her Own Home! Poor Little Daisy Hinds Had Only Wanted To Show Her Grandmother Her Bridesmaid Dress, Now The Wedding Would Be Postponed And Daisy Would Never Breathe Again. Before Jack Could Get His Breathe Another Child Went Missing! Jack Kept His Move In With Jen Jones Who Worked In Administration At Headquarters A Secret And He Told Himself That He Wa ...more
Eva
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A review is posted on my blog at:

Geraldine Evans
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. A crime novel by a real policeman and his wife. Great insight into how cases are run. Good series character in Jack Dylan. Looking forward to more.
Carol Bridgestock
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime fiction and non crime fiction readers
Deadly Focus was written from the heart of a man and woman who between them have nearly half a centry of police experience.

Bob writes the storyline of their crime fiction novels. Carol puts the flesh on the bones to the idea. Having run high profile murder enquires and being in charge of serious incidents, the memories don’t go away easy. We don’t write about factual murders, we feel that would be too painful for the relatives of the victims who have already suffered enough; but every crime scen
Kathy LaMee
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Deadly focus is a steady and balanced British crime fiction book. RC Bridgestock delivers readers a poignant story focusing on the disappearance and murder of two children and the lead investigator on the case, Detective Inspector Jack Dylan.

Based in Yorkshire, England, seasoned D.I. Jack Dylan is called to the site of a troubling abduction and murder of nine-year old Daisy. As the book unfolds, D.I. Dylan is faced with another dead child, and fear grips the town and the department in what look
 Olivermagnus
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Nine year old Daisy Hinds was last seen coming home from her grandmother's house after showing off her new bridesmaids dress. Somewhere in the last hundred yards, after she turned the corner to her street, she disappeared.

Deadly Focus is the first of a series introducing the reader to DI Jack Dylan. Dylan is a senior investigating officer tasked with hunting down Daisy's killer. As the book unwinds, Dylan is faced with another dead child. It starts to look like a child serial killer is on the l
Gail
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Wow. That's all I can say. This is an absolutely fantastic read and totally and utterly unputdownable (yes I know it's a made up word but I have to use it) It's pace is completely breathtaking.

I was hooked from page one and could. It put it down until I turned the last page.

We have a new hero on the block, the wonderful DI Jack Dylan. He is truly a fantastic down to earth Policeman.

The only slight, and I emphasise slight, criticism I have is that the clues were there at the beginning and I figur
Amarissa Cale
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-top-shelf
This is the very first review I have ever written... But I feel I must share my opinion about one of the most emotionally riveting works I have ever read! R C Bridgestock's tale is truly a work of art! Cutting edge detective work and the credible emotions of each character make this book a believable tale of suspense, from the very first page. Not your regular 'who done it' by far! Expertly written and well researched. I recommend this book for anyone who reads! My favourite genre is historical ...more
Pat
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Maybe 2 1/2 stars. As a police procedural it was good. It gave some good insights into how a murder investigation is run, and its not all glamour. I also liked that the main police characters were neither perfect nor deeply flawed.

But - as a mystery/thriller it was lacking. I was still struggling to get into it at the halfway mark. I thought the delivery was rather flat, there was no atmosphere. You were reading the words but you weren't there! Here's hoping the pace picks up in the following bo
Nerfzilla
Mar 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
This isn't so much a book as a very detailed idea for a book. As if a very knowledgeable friend who worked in the police told you the story of a murder investigation, but he or she is a really boring and un imaginative person with no talent whatsoever for language. It's almost more like a teleplay of a particularly uninspired detective show. The characters are pro forma with no depth or dimension and no personalities. It's just a step by step of the procedures with no insight or perspective. I d ...more
Karen Ebdon
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Deadly Focus had my gripped from the first page. It has everything you want from a good crime novel:- a tough believable cop in Dylan, a true coppers' copper, a gritty emotive story line, the fantastic relationship between Dylan and Jen that tells you what "the job" does to families and individuals lives.

This had me burning the midnight oil, I had to know what was going to happen. The description of certain events in particular Daisy's abduction and her Mum's reaction to this was harrowing.

I wo
Pat
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deadly Focus is a gripping story that I couldn't put down.The kidnap and murder of a child is always going to tug at the heart strings and stir up deep emotions - and this certainly did just that. I loved the way we got to know DI Jack Dylan, both in his personal and working life and shared his many special moments with partner Jen and felt his deep passion and determination to catch the perpetrator and bring them to justice.
The expertise of the authors on all things to do with police proceedur
Philip Meeks
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is atrocious. Sexist in the extreme, deathly dull, and inexplicably cruel
Teresa Larkin-Milne
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, i got hooked straight away, it was like reading a true crime book from the beginning. When i started this book, there was already 5 Dylan books out, i purchased the other books and read them all one after the other in a matter of weeks - I love them, i hope the books continue and hope at some point they could be made into a police drama.
Clint Dyches
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read, grammar could use some polish...

For those that enjoy British police procedurals, you should find this a very good read. Mr. Bridgestock's grammar and characterizations could use some polish, but I've already purchased the second book in the series and plan on reading it immediately.
Nursel Calap
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
katil ilk umduğunuz kişi çıkmazsa üzülmeyin. biraz daha polisiye okuyun...

okuyucularının hepsini karakolda toplayabilen bi dedektifi tanımaya da hazır olun derim. yine trend'den çok yakında!
bridgestock çiftinin polisiyelerini türkçe'de bekleyenlere küçük bi de müjde... kitaplar birbirinin ardına hızla kavuşacak okurlarıyla.
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, to think that the book is actually written by people who have been there and got the t shirt makes it more authentic and real. The authors are amazing people who write with such depth and clarity that you will not be able to put the book down!
Julie Stott
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-books
Only 10 chapters in but loving this book, downloaded the second book and can't wait for the next three!!!!!

Loved it, loved it, loved it!!!!!!
Linda882
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meat and potatoes police procedural. Found Dylan's relationship a bit twee. Will give next in series a go, tho.
Rach
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
brilliant :-)
Gary Van Cott
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Generally ok. Despite what is said in the book I can't see any reason why the main character is keeping his relationship secret. Also this is set in Yorkshire (presumably at a fictitious location) but there was very little sense of place. (view spoiler)
Rachel
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
No information regarding what the police did! No house to house, Dillon too busy cuddling up to his little woman, who worked in the same police station but the relationship was an unlikely secret. A really good if confronting storyline but lacking in action and way too much about the silly love affair and lots of waffle. Lines of inquiring was absent. I'm not sure what Insp Dillon actually did
RED ORC
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A brave and exciting first book. It's a non-stop ride with an underlying gritty realness.
Vicki - I Love Reading
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Well this seems to be another series that once upon a time I decided I was going to read and then bought all the books available. According to mr Amazon i've had this one since May 2014.
I'm glad I finally started it, I really enjoyed it. Another series for me to get my teeth into and the good thing is I don't have to wait for the next one, as i'm so far behind.
So Deadly Focus is the first book in the D I Dylan, and I have to say what a great start. It's very well written and gripping from the f
Carol Bridgestock
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
See for yourself! :-) A gift from our publishers to you... http://fb.me/UjaOY1zy First two chapters of our yet to be released CRIME novel by Caffeine Nights Publishers absolutely FREE

‘A Cracking Story’
Natasha Harding ‘The Sun Newspaper’

Be prepared to experience the sense of emotion, tension and intrigue through the eyes of a man who has taken charge of many real life murder enquiries and his co-author wife, to make this fictional tale believable in every way.
Deadly Focus is a fast moving, gripp
Julie
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I met the authors of this book at a book signing and found them to be likeable and interesting people and as I am a fan of crime stories I had to buy the first in the series. I have now got the next two and I shall be buying the rest too.

As the book is written by people who have been in the police force or worked for the police it gives the story a more authentic feel. The police procedures aren't glossed over or rushed. The crimes, though terrible, aren't glorified as with some books. All of th
How good do you think you are at body language? 1 3 Feb 15, 2012 06:29AM
  • Into the Shadows (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #1)
  • Never Forget (DC Nina Foster, #1)
  • Deadly Obsession (DS Jack Mackinnon #1)
  • Sacrifice (DS Heckenburg, #2)
  • Road Closed (DI Geraldine Steel, #2)
  • Jack-Knifed (DCI Martin Phelps, #1)
  • Pray for the Dying (Bob Skinner, #23)
  • The Last Straw (DCI Warren Jones, #1)
  • Playing with Fire (Jessica Daniel, #5)
  • The Toy Taker (DI Sean Corrigan, #3)
  • Dead Gone (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #1)
  • The Disciple (Damen Brook, #2)
  • The Ayton Swans (Inspector McClennan, #1)
  • A Life For A Life (Parish & Richards #1)
  • A Dream of Death (Detective Lincoln Munroe, #1)
  • Three, Four...Better Lock Your Door
  • Misplaced Loyalty (Meredith & Hodge, #1)
  • The Cleansing (DCI Tom Caton Manchester #1)

D.I. Jack Dylan (7 books)
  • Consequences (D.I. Jack Dylan #2)
  • White Lilies (D.I. Jack Dylan #3)
  • Snow Kills (D.I. Jack Dylan #4)
  • Reprobates (D.I. Dylan #5)
  • Killer Smile (D.I. Jack Dylan #6)
  • When the Killing Starts (D.I. Jack Dylan #7)