Start by marking “Leaves from an Autumn of Emergencies: Selections from the Wartime Diaries of Ordinary Japanese” as Want to Read:

The fall of Singapore and the brilliant victories achieved since the start of the war mean we are protected, but I don't know just how grateful I should be. --Takahashi Aiko, housewife, February 1942

This is my final departure from the home islands. I have paid my respects to those who have helped me. I have no regrets. --Itabashi Yasuo, navy kamikaze pilot, February 1944

We
Published September 30th 2005 by University of Hawaii Press (first published September 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Leaves from an Autumn of Emergencies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaves from an Autumn of Emergencies

Start your review of Leaves from an Autumn of Emergencies: Selections from the Wartime Diaries of Ordinary Japanese
Paul
Mar 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in reading modern Japanese history in English
Shelves: history-asia
Biographies of a range of Japanese war casualties and survivors, ranging from Kamikaze pilots to children writing journals as school assignments. Sadly, much of this writing was written with the fact of censorship to bear in mind, but a few of the entries (a Kyoto store owner, a brilliant young woman working for a business) are critical and also beautiful in their style and descriptions. What is a better way to access history than through the journals of those living in the historical moment? (W ...more
Linda
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
While not exactly an exciting read, this book is a rare English language study of Japanese lives during WWII. Contains diaries of a variety of people including kamakaze pilot, old businessman, Christian housewife, working woman, children. Many contain good reflective narratives as well as everyday life descriptions. Highly informative introduction details Japanese history and culture of the time.
Amik
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
A fascinating glimpse into the diaries of Japanese who lived during WWII amidst the carpet bombing of Tokyo and the atomic destruction of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Kamikaze pilot diaries are particularly interesting as their perspectives shift as the direction of the war changes.
Aru
Apr 14, 2013
George Şipoş
Mar 26, 2014
Paula
rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2011
J.D.
Jan 14, 2014

• Love Medicine
  • I Am the Messenger
  • The Lost Hero: The Graphic Novel  (The Heroes of Olympus: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • American Born Chinese
  • The City in Which I Love You
  • Daughter of Good Fortune: A Twentieth-Century Chinese Peasant Memoir
  • Sula
  • Lost Names: Scenes from a Korean Boyhood
  • The Nameless City (The Nameless City, #1)
  • Something New: Tales from a Makeshift Bride
  • Interpreter of Maladies
  • Stony the Road: Reconstruction, White Supremacy, and the Rise of Jim Crow
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • The Bookseller
  • The Classic Slave Narratives
  • Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands, #2)
  • Winter Garden