Start by marking “Ukulele for Dummies [With CD (Audio)]” as Want to Read:
Ukulele for Dummies [With CD (Audio)]

Ukulele for Dummies [With CD (Audio)] (For Dummies)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  278 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Learn everything ukulele--from chord progressions to playing pop, folk, and holiday favorites--and, yes, even Hawaiian music The ukulele is hot. The season one finale of "Glee" featured a ukulele. The recent hit song "Hey Soul Sister" by Train includes the dulcet tones of a uke. Not to mention the runaway success of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. For anyone wishin ...more
Published August 16th 2011 by For Dummies

Gabriela Ventura
Eu vou resenhar um livro sobre ukulele para principiantes? Mas é claro que vou. É por que eu tenho muito tempo livre nas mãos? Não, na verdade é justamente o contrário. Quanto menos tempo tenho, mais pareço investir em tarefas absurdas. Não vou insistir em investigar essa correlação, apenas apontar que ela existe e seguir adiante.

Senta que lá vem história.

Em dezembro do ano passado decidi riscar um item da minha "bucket list" e começar a aprender um instrumento. Os critérios foram baseados em e
Tracy
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Wow. Everything you could possibly want to know when learning the ukulele, from chord fingerlings to advanced techniques, the history of the uke to modern players to listen to, from buying a uke to tips for composing your own pieces. Lots of inspiration and pieces to get you started and move beyond simple strumming.
Mike Hill
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Thought it would be fun to learn to play the Ukulele.

The first few chapters were very helpful, and got me off to a good start learning the basic chords. It had a few good songs in it. I especially liked learning to play the chords to "House of the Rising Sun."

After I got the basics, I ended up transitioning to Youtube videos to learn strum patterns and new songs/chords.

The middle to end of book gets into some more advanced stuff, like picking out the melody while playing chords. I'm too fossiliz
Melanie
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ukulele
This book was so much fun to read and play from. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in the ukulele. Lots of great information about buying and maintaining a uke and the history of ukes, but my favorite part was that Alistair Wood teaches how to play different styles of music on the ukulele. Comes with an audio track so you can hear him play the examples. As the copy I read came from my library, I hope to obtain a personal copy of this book very soon to use as a reference and to improve ...more
Ravencrantz
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is super useful and easy to read.

It came with a companion CD so you can compare what you're playing to how it's supposed to sound and it's probably the best thing besides a personal instructor. I actually got the basics down within an hour, including how long it took to figure out how to tune it.

If anyone out there wants to learn how to play the ukulele, check this book out :D
Pixie
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unlike most "Dummies" books, this one is really helping me to hands-on learn something. I think the later chapters may be too complicated for me, but I can go page by page through the first part and really start to learn to play the uke. It even comes with a CD of examples so I can hear the melody of the practice tunes.
Krollo
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing beginner's guide, took me from never having played the uke before to playing pop songs within literally two hours, and now three weeks later I'm just starting my YouTube channel. I skipped bits of no interest to me and it's not as chock-full of pieces like others, but great for skills, beginner to advanced.
Helen
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm 20% done with Ukulele for Dummies: As recommended in the introduction, I am not reading this book in order. I headed for the care and maintenance chapter first and hit a few others before going back to chapter 1.

Done with the reading, the rest is reference and practice.
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oddly, this is probably the uke book I use the most, even though I don't like the tone of the writing and find the format lacking (the organization of all Dummies books are the same, even when it doesn't make sense for the subject).
Jeanne
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've never been a fan of the "Dummies" books. This book has some good information, but the format is lacking. There is a little of everything and not enough of anything to really get going. I wouldn't recommend it.
Angie
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned-books
I thought this was a good introduction to chords and strumming for Uke. I'd have liked the full songs instead of just the first stanza and chorus so that practicing would have felt more like singing a full song. Makes me want to take lessons.
Stretto
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This goes in to some depth of playing on the Uke. A lot may be beyond an absolute beginner but will be a continual resource as they develop.
Katie
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is accessible and interesting. It includes videos and audio files that really help you learn how to play. I have it on my nook and it wasn't too expensive.
J R
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for that newbie to the ukulele.
Aina
Jun 28, 2016
Jennifer Groarke
Jan 01, 2016
Dylan B. Lewis
rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2017
Russ Olsen
Apr 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
learning how to play the ukulele 1 5 Feb 06, 2014 05:58AM
  • The Complete Tommy And Tuppence (Tommy and Tuppence #1-5)
  • Learning UML 2.0
  • Seven Days to Tell You
  • Wendy Knits: My Never-Ending Adventures in Yarn
  • Spend Game (Lovejoy, #4)
  • Bring The Noise: 20 Years of writing about Hip Rock and Hip-Hop
  • Under the Olive Tree
  • Knits Men Want
  • The Traveller: Notes From an Imperfect Journey Around the World
  • Knitting for Baby: 30 Heirloom Projects with Complete How-to-Knit Instructions
  • Freeways to Flip-Flops: A Family's Year of Gutsy Living on a Tropical Island
  • The Gift of a Good Start
  • The Day the Country Died: A History of Anarcho-Punk, 1980-1984
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Mission Accomplished or Mission Frakked Up?
  • The Tin Ring: How I Cheated Death
  • Forbidden Friends
  • You Are Here
  • The Emergence of Judy Taylor

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies