Start by marking “Beyond Lies the Wub” as Want to Read:
Beyond Lies the Wub

Beyond Lies the Wub

"The wub, sir," Peterson said. "It spoke!"
The slovenly wub might well have said: Many men talk like philosophers and live like fools.
Science Fiction – Alien Life and Interaction

Beyond Lies the Wub was Philip K. Dick's first published story and appeared in the legendary ”Planet Stories” pulp magazine.

Free download from LibriVox.org
Play Duration: 00:16:14
Down load file
Published May 18th 2010 by Spastic Cat Press (first published April 1st 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Lies the Wub, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Lies the Wub

Start your review of Beyond Lies the Wub
Maureen
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Philip.K.Dick’s first published story ‘Beyond lies the Wub,’ tells the story of a Captain and his crew returning to Earth from Mars, having purchased various creatures with a view to eating them. Among these creatures is a Wub.

What is a Wub? A Wub is like a huge pig, but unlike your regular pig, he’s telepathic and likes to discuss philosophy and myths. The Captain thinks the Wub would make a great meal, after all he must weigh around 400 pounds, but not all of the crew are in agreement. Would y
Bill Kerwin
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it

Philip K. Dick's first published short story (Planet Stories, July 1952), begins with what may have been a familiar plot point even by the early 50's: a space ship crew, having acquired a cargo-hold filled with alien animals for food, plans to devour a creature--the "wub" of the title--more intelligent and psychically gifted than all the humans on the ship put together. Of course, things do not turn out as expected.

In spite of this conventional theme, this Dick tale is memorable for two reasons:
J.L.   Sutton
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I’ve been reading a fair bit of Philip K. Dick this year and so felt it would be fun to tackle his first published SF story, “Beyond Lies the Wub” (Planet Stories, July 1952). Not surprisingly, it is a bit odd. Like his other works, PKD presents the reader with the possibility of new realities, in this case, an alien creature known as a wub that is intelligent and telepathic (even though it most resembles a huge pig and admits it would be delicious to eat). It describes itself as “Tolerant, ecle ...more
Lyn
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
What is a wub?

A wub is like a big telepathic pig that is cultured and likes to discuss philosophy and myths.

There is almost no way to review this brilliant, original 1952 publication from a very young PKD (24 years old) without spoiling, so I’ll just write that if you call yourself a science fiction fan you should invest the less than 15 minutes it will take to read.

An upper level English course called Science Fiction literature should include a discussion of this excellent short work.

** 2019 ad
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Philip K. Dick's first published story, from 1952, has a group of humans loading up their spaceship with various birds and animals from Mars, which they plan to eat on the way back to Earth, despite the disapproval of the Martians. Captain Franco, it is clear from the start, is a boorish guy. But Franco approves when one of his men, Peterson, shows up with a 400 pound pig-like animal called a wub. Clearly good eating is ahead!

But it quickly turns out that the wub is an intelligent, sentient bein
Bradley
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-shelf, sci-fi
PKD's first published story.

Sooooo short, very funny. :)

Me, personally, I'd have just talked with the poor alien and enjoyed his company, but you know how these idiot humans are. Always thinking with their stomachs. :)

Good thing the revenge was totally apropos. :)

Very fun. Classic PKD. :)
Brian Yahn
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this story.

What would happen if your dinner could talk to you and asked you not to eat it?

Philip K. Dick has the answer [=
Viji (Bookish endeavors)
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I AM A WORM..

When I was in class tenth,we had a chapter on Nehru,an extract from his 'discovery of India' in our English text. While lecturing on that,our teacher used to ask us students what we were in comparison to the great brains like Nehru and Wells. Hearing our silence,he would answer his own question,making us repeat after him,"WE ARE WORMS". And after that every time he asked us 'what are you',we answered,"I AM A WORM". So every time I hear of a worm or read of it,I am automatically led
RoshReviews
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-75-stars
Never thought I would say the words "cute" and "science fiction" in the same sentence but that's what this is: a cute science fiction story.

Captain and his team are returning from an interplanetary expedition after capturing some galactic creatures. One such special creature is the wub, who appears to the crew to be some kind of giant pig. While the Captain ponders over what to do with the heavy animal that is making his spaceship use extra fuel, a surprising twist occurs.

I enjoyed this story a
Trish
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very funny and very short short story.

A crew is travelling from Mars back to Earth and since they are starving, they contemplate killing and eating a pig-like creature one of the crew members purchased on Mars - the titular wub.

This, however, is no ordinary creature as the captain soon find out in a very funny way. *lol*

Can't put my finger on where I've heard the narrator before but he was VERY good in imitating the different accents of the crew members as well as giving the wub a voic
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
This was the first published story by one of the masters of science fiction himself, an author I hate to admit I have never read. It is one of his stories that is available for free on amazon, or on Project Gutenberg, or in another one of many places online. Philip K. Dick may not be an author I’ve read, but that does not mean that I have not loved some of his ideas.

We all know him as the writer behind Blade Runner, an epic cult scifi classic. But did you also know that Hollywood has made so man
Richard Dominguez
I found this a quick fun listen as a group of astronauts visiting Mars encounter a "Wub" (described as a rather large pig). The astronauts being hungry naturally consider eating the Wub, till the Wub speaks to them.
At just under 18 minutes the author has us contemplating what exactly is intelligence and where we draw the line between civility and barbarism. Is our survival paramount (i.e. do they ends justify the means).
A good short story that shows us the knack that the author has for taking a
Angus McKeogh
I believe this was Dick’s first ever published work, so wanted to see what it was all about. Received it from a free offer. You can tell it’s from his early stuff, but the deeper lying psychological stuff is present even then.
Tristram Shandy
Don’t Parley with Your Food!

Appearing in “Planet Stories” in 1952, Beyond Lies the Wub, the first story by Dick that was published, could actually make you become a vegetarian. It invites us on board a spacecraft that has just taken provisions, mainly animals, on Mars and is now on its way back to earth.

One of the animals that have been taken aboard, an enormous pig-like creature, which the Martians call a wub, and which makes the captain’s mouth water already, turns out to be an intelligent cre
Ania
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ania by: goodreads
I don't know about you, but I picture the wub as a big Guinea Pig. Something like this perhaps:
description

I have to say that originally I rated this story with 3 stars: enjoyable but nothing special. And then it hit me. What if the wub wasn't really a space hog? what if the space hog was just an animal that previously ATE whatever else had the wub inside it, and was taken over by it? What if the wub "individuates", as he puts it, not by leaving his group in space or time, but by leaving the group "corpora
Richard
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dick isn't the greatest of scribblers--characters move with thin or confounding motives at times, flat dialogue--but the situations are magnificent. A ship presumably filling its hold ark-like for a long trip picks up a wub, a filthy creature supposedly tasty but also telepathic and intelligent. From here, as they cynically say, the hilarity ensues. A quick punch in the ethical gut. ...more
Skyler Myers
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in unique sci-fi that is mixed with some philosophy
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
"Many men talk like philosophers and live like fools."

PROs:

* Original plot

* Interesting ethical ideas brought up

* Surprising twist at the end

CONs:

* Too short to really delve deeply into any ideas

* Simplistic dialogue

This is one of Phillip K. Dick's shortest short stories. It can easily be read and understood in less than thirty minutes, making it an easy and rewarding read. The plot is different from anything I've seen before and it has a good ending. I think it has breached potential.

"But would
Fadoua ϟ
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first K.Dick read and I really enjoyed it !!! wow
Terence Blake
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
"Beyond Lies the Wub" is an interesting early short story, that is richer than may seem at first glance. Mythology, religion, and philosophy form a backdrop to the story. In particular, there are references to Odysseus and to Epicureanism.

I think the Odysseus reference could be filled out in several ways. Odysseus does not rely on brute force like Achilles, but on intelligence, cunning, ruse. This is another case where we can identify the Wub with Odysseus, as against the Achilles-like Captain.
Michael
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written thought provoking short story which was also well narrated.

A Wub which is pretty much a big telepathic pig that is cultured and likes to discuss philosophy and myths. has been captured, and the crew want to eat it, obviously the Wub disagrees with this and discusses with the captain alternative options.

I found this short story rather thought provoking as it reflects human nature and how humans truly are really destructive creatures.

This short story is free to listen too an
Peter Tillman
-- originally published in Planet Stories in July 1952.

Short and.... Well. Things don't end well for the wub. But the taste, I understand, was excellent. ;-}
Joseph Inzirillo
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another PKD short work. Interesting story with an interesting twist. The Wub is great! An excellent quick read.
Eric Mesa
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
As expected from a Philip K Dick book, that was trippy. Talky in the style of golden and silver age science fiction, but I have a fondness for the style as some of my first science fiction exposure was in that style.

Not a bad plot, it's a quick read and available free from Project Gutenberg.
Kori ☾
Good thing I gave up meat in December. A talking pig that convinces you not to eat it, very short, and to the point. Good read.
David
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great short little story. The story entertains you and the ending knocks you on your ass
Shane Hawk
Enjoyed this 15-minute read — one to remember for years to come.
Rithik
Sep 10, 2020 added it
Shelves: short-story
Damn I need to read more dick stories.
David Vogel
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story
I love this PKD short story. Such a delightfully weird one. Seriously, it's short and available on Project Gutenberg for free. There's no reason not to read it. ...more
Angel Navarro
Jun 12, 2020 rated it liked it
It was good, weird and fun.
Kedar
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
While reading this short story, my first Philip K. Dick work, this song kept playing in my mind:

Big man, pig man
Ha, ha, charade you are
You well heeled big wheel
Ha, ha, charade you are

- Pigs (Three Different Ones) by Pink Floyd

I was wondering if the travesty was really apt. I wondered if there was something in this story that crossed the gravitational force and escaped me. All I know is that here is a nice, short story about a wub (A rather stout, big pig-like being) that is picked up from Mars f
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 7 Mar 24, 2020 10:58AM
EDCMOOC: June's story for chat on Sat 4th July 21:30 (uk time) 2 10 Jul 04, 2015 01:09PM

• 2BR02B
  • Youth
  • Just One Ship
  • The Street
  • Droozle
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more