Start by marking “Getting the Boot ” as Want to Read:
Getting the Boot

Getting the Boot

(Students Across the Seven Seas)

The exciting series for teens that explores life and love around the world.

Studying abroad isn't at all like Kelly thought it would be. Instead of shopping for fine Italian leather and living in an apartment with a view of the Colosseum, she is stuck in a stuffy dorm room with three other girls, and is sharing one shower with the entire floor! This is not the bella Roma th
Published May 5th 2005 by Speak

To ask other readers questions about Getting the Boot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting the Boot

Liralen
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Next stop on the S.A.S.S. tour: Italy, where Kelly is eager to spend the summer shopping, tanning, and flirting. Imagine her surprise when it turns out that she's staying in a dorm, not a fancy villa...and the programme's courses require actual work...and the other students in the programme aren't interested in her attempts to give them makeovers.

The focus of the book, then, is on Kelly's growth into a bit less of a...well, a self-absorbed brat. Kelly's not a mean person, or a dumb one. She's ju
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
As I was going on holiday to Rome, I decided that I had to find a book that was set in my holiday destination to read whilst I was there. Let me tell you, it was surprisingly difficult to find a book that was set in Rome, especially a young adult one! After asking around fellow bloggers a few times, only one young adult book set in the centre of the city came to light. Though I'd read no reviews of it or any other work by the author, I still decided to order Getting the Boot by Peggy Guthart Str ...more
Rebecca
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Writing, plot, characters: 1 star

Entertainment value because it's so bad: 3 stars

Which gives it an average of 2!

Would highly recommend reading it with a friend. A lot of the fun was telling people the ridiculous stuff Kelly was doing and laughing about it with a friend who also read it.
Heather
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lizzy Seitz
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
3.0 our of 5 stars

I definitely read this as a teen too but I only vaguely remember reading it. However this is probably my least favorite of all the SASS books because Kelly is just such a bland and awful character at the beginning.

She wants to go to Italy because like duh there’s like so much like shopping and like hot boys. Right off the bat she starts hanging/dating this "bad boy" from California who literally DRUGS HER DRINK later in the book and yet she still sees no issue with blowing off
Colette
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Getting the Boot is the second book in the S.A.S.S. Series. The S.A.S.S. stories each take place during a student's time studying abroad. Getting the Boot follows the life of Kelly who is participating in an exchange program in Italy. Kelly as a character isn't great, in my opinion her friend Sheela would have been more interesting to have as the main character. Italy is very well described by Strauss, you can feel the personality of the different cities that are visited throughout the novel. Ov ...more
Allie Rae
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I think that this book and When Irish Guys are Smiling are both very good. The reason why I gave this book only two stars is because there was a lot of drugs and alcohol and just overall bad decisions. Not as bad as Eliza in Up Over Down Under, but pretty close.
Candice
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit, travel
I enjoyed this book for its Italian setting, but the plot and the characters were weak. I thought the writing was sub-par and thought the story was a bit childish, a little too "O-M-G" for me, ya know? I thought it would be a fabulous summer read, but I was disappointed.
Dominique
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I really like this series, because not only do you get summer romance, but real info about whatever country the girl travels too. Reading this made me really want to go to Italy lol. Fun, light read.
Ninglu
Sheesh, this is like another Pardon my French. It was just a complete girl's life all over again. Where was the fun in Rome? ...:|
Hendrix Eva
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute and fun read full of recognizable landmarks, especially since my own visit to Italy.
Hannah
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved every word of this book. Even ask my friends, i couldn't put it down.

It is about a Chicago girl called Kelly who is a girly-girl, a shop-o-holic and doesn't really care too much about her grades. She has always wanted to have a romantic summer in Italy so when her old friend Sheela decides she is going on the S.A.S.S. programme over there she jumps at the opportunity. Sheela is so lovely and gets her on the programme (she would never of been able to do it my herself) and in re
Anna Karras
Jul 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Cute. I love the idea of this series!

Kelly is your run-of-the-mill popular cheerleader type who gets a wild hair up her nose to study in Italy for the summer. Even though she doesn't quite measure up to her school of choice's standards, she studies hard, makes a nuisance of herself, and finally finds herself in Rome ready to start the program. But conflicts arise in the shape of irritating roommates, and a too-cute-but-nothing-but-trouble boy in the program. Joe convinces Kelly to stay out all n
Nicole Curtis
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
We are going to Italy this summer so I'm on this kick to want to read books and see movies set in Italy. I picked this up for my 11 year old 5th grade daughter but wanted to read it first because I was hesitant about the content. It was silly, all about meeting Italian boys and a snotty girl who cares only about herself and fashion. Of-course she comes around, blah, blah, blah, typical early teen stuff. I did enjoy the parts where she was visiting Italian landmarks but I wouldn't go pick up the ...more
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
This book was given to me by my aunt a long time ago and i juts found it the other month and decided i'm gonna read it. It was a story about girl who wanted to join the International Summer School Program of this school. I decided i love this book mainly because it gives me an idea what Italy really looks like, the places, the people and even the vespas. Italy is just my favorite country in the world. Aside from that it also has a good plot which was simply written a bratty-high school girl-turn ...more
Istiningdyah
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is a reread.
Getting the boot follows Kelly on a summer overseas program in Italy. This book is a fluffy YA contemporary. It's just a fun and easy to read YA book. My opinion about this book might be a bit biased since Italy is on the top of my someday-go-to list. I love the country and I love art. This book explores those two things. Perfect combination for me.
The main character, Kelly, is a social butterfly. A total opposite of me, so I couldn't relate to her. But it's still fun to fo
Citra NP Sayekti
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: s-a-s-s
on 20 first of page this book, I really hate Kelly. but, I think it's a negative side of human especially for the girls under 20 years old. the choices of right man for be loved, glamour and urban living that's difficult to being mature and made worry our parents but she have changed become humble, diligent and have catch good experiences in Rome. Just think "Ah, I hope can study abroad too..." because for the first time not only a good things but sometimes become bad things and tears everywhere ...more
Lilian
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best and unique books in the series,
This book doesn't just talk about the roman's culture and art but also a seventeen fashionable girl going aboard who dates a boy who is trouble who frames her.
I love this book a lot because the books in the series aren't this much interesting,
My favourite part of the book was when Kelly got accused of drugs even though it was Joe.
My favourite character was Kelly's friend ( i forgot who ) because all this time she was right about everything.
Jenny
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, realistic, romance
Kelly is ready for life in fabulous Italy, with fashion and shopping high on her list, and maybe an Italian guy to give her sophistication. Instead, she gets a tiny dorm room to share with no AC and meets Joe, another student in the program. Joe likes to party, and Kelly is up for clubbing, but things turn ugly, and now Kelly is facing expulsion from the program. Will Kelly be booted from Italy?
Mala
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pre-teen and teenage girls
Getting the Boot by Peggy Guthart Strauss was a quick read: predictable but fun too. I chose to read it because it served as a nice ice breaker to familiarize myself with the historical landmarks and important venues of Rome and Florence before I travel there myself during my upcoming spring break from school. I recommend this to a reader searching for chick-flick version of a summer in Italy.
Erin
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I loved this! Is there anything better than the glow of youth? Striking out on your own for the first time and feeling that the whole world is ahead of you and everything great is yet to come? That is exactly the experience and emotion this book portrays as Kelly enjoys her summer abroad in Rome.
Kristi
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
I have not read all the S.A.S.S. books yet, but so far, this is my very favorite one. It shows Kelly Brant, a young lady who has made a lot of mistakes in the past, grow into something more. I loved the ups and downs in between. The book was a bit predictable, yes, but it was still a fun little read.
Francesca
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: guiltypleasure
A great dissapointment... the book about the girl going on exchange to Italy should surely have had better names than "Kelly" and other American favorites. And the guy wasn't even Italian, he was just some American who was also on exchange? Shouldn't he heave been Italian? Tsk tsk tsk.
Gabrielle M
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Aasha
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
this is another of the S.A.S.S. stories and this is a really good one its about a girl named kelly who goes to Rome and has a wonderful adventure full of emotions and this book acutally made me cry a little bit because its has some really sad parts.
Maggie
Sep 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
This one was particularly good, in my opinion. Or maybe I just liked it because she referenced Cicero's De Amicitia, which I translated in Latin class. Either way, like all the books in this series, they're teen age chick-lit, teach you a bit about the culture, and a just really fun.
Book
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read this whole book in 4 hours of a car ride.
anna
Aug 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 10 and up
this girl gets in way too deep, and she behaves like an animal!!!
Elizabeth Wallace
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who wonders what it would be like to be an exchange student and wonders how you would act
This is my favorite of all the S.A.S.S. books.
Despina
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really like this teen series, and I intend to read more of them.

• Spain or Shine
  • When Irish Guys Are Smiling
  • Cicada Summer
  • Saving Daisy
  • Artichoke Hearts
  • The Friendship Matchmaker (The Friendship Matchmaker #1)
  • The Day I Met Suzie
  • Emma Hearts LA (Hearts Series, #2)
  • Benny and Babe
  • Lost Christmas
  • The Nannies (Nannies, #1)

Students Across the Seven Seas (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Westminster Abby