Start by marking “Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)” as Want to Read:
Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)

Prime Directive

(Star Trek: The Original Series)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,073 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Starfleet's most sacred commandment has been violated. Its most honored captain is in disgrace, its most celebrated starship in pieces, and the crew of that ship scattered among the thousand worlds of the Federation... Thus begins "Prime Directive", an epic tale of the Star Trek universe. Following in the bestselling tradition of "Spock's World" and "The Lost Years", Judit ...more
Published September 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Prime Directive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prime Directive

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
Alejandro
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary!!!

READER'S LOG

This is one of the best Star Trek novels that I ever read and easily the best one using only the crew of The Original Series, without counting crossovers novels.

I know that I need to read more books centering on the original crew, however, this novel Prime Directive will keep a place in the highest levels on my own personal Trek ranking ever.

A masterpiece written by the couple, Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens.

They crafted an intriguing mystery since the s
Jerry
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a longtime fan of the Reeves-Stevenses, and it's books like this that made me one. Until recently, I hadn't read one of their novels in a while; now, I think I need to try out my old favorites again.
Mike Crate
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
Prime Directive takes the reader on an interesting journey right from the start as we read about the failures of the Starfleet Constitution Starships and their five year missions including the loss of the Enterprise at Talin IV.
Since this novel is not an alternate reality or mirror universe then you are kinda derailed straight away but as you read the book and learn of the catastrophe then took place in orbit over Ralin IV and the subsequent crippling of the Enterprise it all falls into place.
Rebecca
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2009, scifi
The Enterprise crew gone rogue, always a winner! These authors OWN the characters' voices, ST canon, and the sensibility of the original series. They're even genius at taking the cheese factor from the show and using it in homage. (Plot holes, Kirk skirt chasing, swashbuckling heroics, laughing on the bridge!) A pleasure to read.
Clay Davis
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the different character's life stories after their mission failed.
Kate
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is hands down one of the best Star Trek novels I have ever read and I think even non Star Trek fans would maybe even like it. It's a tight science fiction read that deals with catastrophic consequences but also is a mystery of sorts.

Talin IV is in ruins. A nuclear wasteland and the crew of the Enterprise is at fault. Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Chekov, and Sulu (a.k.a. The Enterprise Five) have all resigned over the disgrace of the events and Mr. Scott continues to work to repair the critica
Reading In The Dark
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, sci-fi fans
Shelves: star-trek
So far, this is my favorite Star Trek novel. It's really that good. Sad to imagine how many years the paperback was just lying in a box under my parents' house waiting to be read!

It is great for the following reasons:

1) Based on some good, hard sci-fi ideas.
2) Couched in a great in-universe Trek plotline that ought to be explored more often (the prime directive).
3) The classic characters are absolutely intact and authentically-rendered.
4) Entertaining, easy, well-paced read.
5) The story is epic
Jacen
Apr 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek, read-trek
My first outing with the Star Trek franchise was a fruitful one. I've been hearing about this book for years. I finally picked it up. In a franchise that literally puts out a novel a month, this books still stands out. It had a perfect feeling of balance. Humor and actual science fiction. Character and action. It's a can't miss.
Meg Hannah
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all-time favorite Star Trek novels. I've read it, oh, maybe 10 times? Maybe more? I savor it every time. I love the details and the portrayal of the characters, and the plot's good too.
Leo
Sep 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This book is my favorite among the Star Trek derivatives. It is one that can be read countless times. If you are a fan of Star Trek the original series this is a must read.
Jamie
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Pretty good ST TOS story, and audio narration by James Doohan, AKA Scotty was a nice bonus.
Mariah
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
If the rating system here on Goodreads allowed for half or quarter ratings, I would rate this novel 3.5 stars. I did not want to give it the full four stars, merely because the parts I really liked did not come to fruition until the last fourth of the book.

As stated in other reviews I have written, I love Star Trek fiction. There is something beautiful about expanding and conceiving anew for characters, plot lines, and universes of TV shows, books, and/or movies that have already been establishe
Ingrid
Aug 04, 2011 added it
I heard a rumor that this might be the plot for the next Star Trek movie. It was excellent! I do not read Star Trek books as a rule, but I'm really glad I read this one. It was actually a really good mystery. The final reveal of what happened on Talin IV was very Star Trek. I would recommend this book!
Love of Hopeless Causes
Solid entertainment, amusing, and well read--if a bit predictable.
(view spoiler)
Sean Carlin
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What all media tie-ins should aspire to, but so seldom do: Prime Directive doesn't read like a not-ready-for-primetime supplemental installment of a popular television/movie franchise -- a subpar cash-in like the dreadful Buffy the Vampire Slayer spin-off Slayer (read my review here) -- but a richly realized story in its own right that utilizes and capitalizes on its novelistic medium to boldly go where other iterations of Trek either haven't or can't; that this adventure was written for the pag ...more
Neil
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second copy of this book - I had originally bought a copy when I was in my 'reading/collecting Star Trek books' phase in the late 80s/early 90s and remember enjoying it the first few times I read it. Then my copy disappeared ['borrowed', loaned out, lost in a move, I don't know what happened to it] and that was that. Until I came across another copy for $1 at Half Price Books. It had been a while since I had read it, so I bought it to give it a shot.

Isn't it funny how sometimes peopl
Yeppers
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not a Trekkie by any means, and I've never seen an entire episode of any of the Star Trek franchises that I know of. All I've seen is the J.J. Abrams set of movies that have drawn in non-Trekkies and discombobulated old-time fans. And yes, not being a Chris Pine fan, I found my first meeting with Capt. Kirk to be impetuous, pouty (he does have full lips for a man, no?), and not particularly bright.

But this book was probably, to date, the best sci-fi book I've read. Not being a long-time read
Aricia Gavriel
Prime Directive has to be the best classic Trek I’ve read, and I'd readily recommend it, with 4.5 stars. It has an intriguing plot, the authors got the characters pretty close to “true,” and aside from some reservations I have about the story, and a few nits to pick regarding narrative line, the book flies. I won’t pick those nits here, or growl about the storyline, because such points are utterly subjective: one reader’s smoked salmon is another’s pellet of slug killer.

Prime Directive is quite
Oleta Blaylock
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to agree with several of the others that reviewed this book, it is one of the best of the original series. It rates up there with Sarek and Vulcan's Forge. This is story of Captain Kirk being place in a no win situation and taking all the blame. This was a no win scenario from the very beginning. The entire bridge crew is blamed for their actions and all resign. However none of them give up. They continue to look for clues and answers to the disaster and how it could have been prevented. ...more
John Kirk
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is a good book, despite some odd choices. I first read it when I was at school (soon after publication), and re-reading it as an adult there are some aspects that I'd missed the first time around.

This novel is set during the gap between the final episode of the original series and the first movie. However, it was published in 1990, after TNG had started. The start of the novel establishes that the command crew have all left Starfleet after breaking the Prime Directive, but as the audience w
Bonnie Meche
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, there's nothing quite as satisfying as running into an old flame, or indulging an old habit. Thus my binge-it-all-in-eight-hours session with this Star Trek novel. As an avid fan of the original series - back in the prehistoric times of the late 60's - I have never quite managed to kick my addiction for the liberal and idealistic mindset of Roddenberry and his minions, and this story fits right in with the best of them, featuring much beloved Kirk doing what he always does: fighting h ...more
Daniel Willis
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best of the TOS series I've read so far. The setup was fantastic -- the crew disgraced but the reader does not know why -- and kept me hooked. Thankfully this didn't end up being another "bogus charges" episode like the one with the altered bridge tapes, this failure was real. Every character from TOS gets some limelight here exploring how they personally handle the professional disgrace, which was well done aside from the poor attempt at comic relief with McCoy. The ending (of course the cr ...more
Dan
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek, tos
In many ways, Prime Directive exemplifies the best of what Star Trek novels have to offer. A compelling story with real stakes for our characters, and all brought to life with Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens' penchant for crafting a tale that had me turning pages late into the night. A solid 5/5 Trek novel, and quite possibly the best book to give to someone who is interested in reading Trek fiction but has never picked up a Star Trek novel before. Great stuff!

Full review: http://treklit.blog
Lois
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one surprised me - first of all, I liked it. And once again it was still an abridged audiobook, but for once, it didn't feel like it. It felt like I got the whole story. We all know that from the summary, yeah, Kirk didn't violate the prime direction (well, this one time, anyway LOL), so it was a matter of following along to find out the real story - and it was very unexpected, and most welcomed difference.
John (JP)
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
What happens when the Prime Directive is violated? This is the premise of the story. Talon 4 is a world much like ours with 2 major and hostile powers armed with nuclear weapons. Star Fleet has a base on its moon to study its inhabitants. But something is odd. The Enterprise is called to investigate. Shortly afterwards the two powers go to war. Is the Enterprise to blame? Is an outside power involved? Read the story and find out.
Aaron
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is a well written novel which captures the banter and comradery of the Enterprise crew in a manner consistent with all my fond memories. While some Science Fiction books neglect the "science" completely, this one managed to provide an appropriate amount for building the narrative without causing me to lose attention. A very interesting story with a satisfying conclusion.
Martin Wood
More politics than in a typical Star Trek movie or TV episode, but loved the story centered around and discussing the Prime Directive, an important topic in the Star Trek universe. The same characters that we all know and love from the original cast or the new films, so easy for fans to pick up.and enjoy regardless of which cast they most relate to.
Straykatstrut
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Last year's birthday present. <3 My honey always knows just what to give me.

Good read, and my second time around. First read when I was 16 / 17 and taking GED classes at the local community college. Found it in the library, took it home, and fell in love with Star Trek all over again.

Had happy tears rolling down my face while reading part four, chapter two. <3
Jason Page
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Trek novel

The ease of the ending had me drop my rating from 5 stars down to 4, but a good Star Trek story. Lots of great moments from each member of the original series characters. Good story that was very close to being great
Crystal
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A great mystery novel set with a Star Trek theme behind it. A definite page turner with well-written passages that have you picturing scenes in your mind as though a movie where being played.

A great piece of work for those who appreciate the original series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Spock's World
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • Doctor's Orders (Star Trek: The Original Series #50)
  • Sarek
  • The Kobayashi Maru (Star Trek: The Original Series, #47)
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Original Series #11; The Yesterday Saga, #1)
  • Shadows on the Sun
  • Strangers from the Sky
  • The Return (Star Trek: Odyssey, #2)
  • The Ashes of Eden (Star Trek: Odyssey, #1)
  • Imzadi (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Imzadi #1)
  • Traitor Winds (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #3)
  • Probe
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • Uhura's Song
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek: The Original Series #1; Movie Novelization #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit (Star Trek: The Original Series #3)
  • The Covenant of the Crown (Star Trek: The Original Series #4)
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle (Star Trek: The Original Series #9)
  • Web of the Romulans (Star Trek: The Original Series #10)