Start by marking “Tangled Dreams (Elemental Assassin, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Tangled Dreams (Elemental Assassin, #3.5)

Tangled Dreams

(Elemental Assassin #3.5)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  1,302 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
This short story takes place in between the events of Venom and Tangled Threads. It’s told from the points of view of Jo-Jo Deveraux and her sister, Sophia Deveraux. When a carjacker follows an injured Gin back to Jo-Jo’s beauty salon, Jo-Jo and Sophia join forced to eliminate the threat. ...more
Online Fiction, 1st Edition, 10 pages
Published 2011 by Jennifer Estep

To ask other readers questions about Tangled Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tangled Dreams

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

JO-JO/SOPHIA POV!!

So this was great. Not only did we get some Jo-Jo insight--about the depth of her clairvoyance among other things--but we also got to hear from the previously monosyllabic Sophia.

It begins with a battered Gin showing up on Jo-Jo's front porch in need of healing (per usual). Gin saved a mother and child from a gang a carjackers, but one got away. Jo-Jo tells her not to worry about it, heals her, and leaves her to the recovery sleep.

Then she goes to kitchen and waits fo
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
absolutely loved this! Finally getting inside Jo-Jo and Sophia's head, especially Sophia's. I really hope we learn more about her dark past in future stories. I just love these sisters and the family they have created with Finn and Gin.
Steven
It was neat to read a story from these two Air elemental dwarves' perspectives. I'd like to know more about them both.
Maria Dimitrova
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sophia and Jo-Jo's POVs! What more could I want? Add some bloody murder and finally knowing more about how the Devaroux sisters became part of Fletcher Lane's family and I'm one happy camper :D
Jo
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, gr2016, novella

I loved this novella!! POVs from the fabulous dwarfs Jo Jo and Sophia, and it was just excellent.

Sometimes, it seemed like I spent more time painting over the blood that Gin left on the front porch than I did doing nails in my beauty salon in the back of the house, but I didn’t mind the extra work. I loved the girl like she was my own. In a way, Gin was the daughter that I’d never had—the dark, dangerous daughter of my dreams.

Once again Gin has been hurt when she tried to save someone, and s

Ronda
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's about time we got a snippet of the sisters, Jo Jo and Sophia, the two dwarfs. They might not be Gin's blood family, but they are family none-the-less. I am dying to know more of Sophia and I have no doubt that we will find out at some point.
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

Tangled Dreams is told in the POV of Jo-Jo and Sophia, and it takes place between books 3 ( Venom ) and 4 ( Tangled Threads ).

Not too far from Gin’s restaurant, a carjacking takes place and a little girl and her mother are in some serious danger. But have no fear, badass Gin to the rescue! She takes out most of the guys, but Gin herself doesn’t get out of this unscathed. Gin goes to Jo-Jo’s salon to get healed by the dwarf’s air magic, but is followed by the thug t
Nancy
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Story wrapped around Jo-Jo and Sophia Deveraux, friends and family to Gin. Fills in some of the story of how they help Gin and Finn as they go about their lives. also giving a small peak into The sisters past history.
Netanella
I'm reading the entire Elemental Assassin series as part of a year-long read with the GR group SOS: Serious Overload of Series. I've never read any of the books before, so I'm reading them in order, including all of the short stories that are interspersed between the main novels. This one, "Tangled Dreams," is a short story told from the points of view of the two dwarven sisters, Jo-Jo and Sophia Devereaux, who do clean up duty for Gin. Jo-Jo heals the living body while she works as a beautician ...more
Elspeth
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
It should have has one more round of proof reading before upload, and the voices of the characters all sound the same.
I did like the insight into Sophia though.
Carol***BeautyandtheBeastlyBooks
I always enjoy knowing more about Jo jo and Sophia!
Jen
This story was hugely fun. It was told from Jo-Jo's and Sophia's perspectives! (!!!) I think this was the first time I got to see through their eyes; I really loved it. :-)

In this story, Gin took out a group of carjackers, but the sixth man got away and followed her to Jo-Jo's house. (view spoiler) :-)

I loved seeing Jo-Jo (view spoiler)
Sapphyria
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tangled Dreams is told in 2 parts; the first part by Jo-Jo and the second part by Sophia. After Gin takes on a bunch of carjackers, saving a mother and child, she finds herself at Jo-Jo's with some severe injuries. After healing Gin, an expected guest (due to Jo-Jo's clairvoyance) breaks into her home. Jo-Jo is a capable woman able to neutralize threats on her own and she proves that in the first part of the story. The second part of the story focuses on Sophia and what she does with the bodies ...more
The Neighbor
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A cute short story that fills in a little of Jo-Jo & Sophia's back stories. It's not really relevant to any on going plot lines, but it helps make the sister's a little easier to understand.

It's free on Jennifer's Web Site @ http://www.jenniferestep.com/series/e...

There a few more freebies there as well. It's worth the time to take a look. Plus, you can take a gander at Ms Estep's other five series as well.
Nancy Brady
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-giveaway
A short story told from the perspective of the Devereaux sisters, Jo-Jo and Sophia. Gin's latest adventure saving a mother and her young daughter from carjackers spills over into the lives of Jo-Jo and Sophia when one of these carjackers shows up at their house. Using their own elemental Air power in their particular way, they take care of him.

This one is available on the author's website, www.jenniferestep.com
Theresa
4 Stars... We finally get to hear Jo Jo and Sophia's voices in this short story on the author's website... Jo Jo and Sophia's stories and abilities are only hinted at in the main novels; this short story provides some in depth glimpses into their backstories as well as the extent of their elemental abilities, as well as the potential Gin has in her developing powers... Action packed and fast paced this was an entertaining read that I truly enjoyed:)
Kathy Davie
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This short story is 3.5 in the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series and focuses on Jo-Jo and Sophia Deveraux.

You can read this short story for free on Estep's website.

My Take
The first half of this short story is from Jo-Jo's point-of-view as she takes Gin in, once again, to fix her up. I do like Jo-Jo. She is the kindest woman, but she won't take any sass from anybody!

The second half is Sophia's point-of-view and we learn just what her magic does and why she's dedicated her aid to Fletcher
Marsha
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults ( Paranormal Mystery Lovers)
Of all the characters in the Elemental Assassins series, the Devereau sisters are the most mysterious to me. "Tangled Dreams" is a two part short story that reveals more information about their background, skills and personalities. The first part is Jo Jo's story and the second is Sophia's. Ginn, the assassin shows up on Jo Jo's doors injured again after taking out a group of carjacking dwarves who harm a woman and her daughter. Unfortunately, one managed to escape and Ginn is a little upset abo ...more
Shelley
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a short story of the Deveraux sisters who play important parts in the life of Gin and her friends.

Jolene “Jo-Jo” Deveraux is a 257 Dwarf who treats Gin as though she is the dangerous daughter she always wanted. She takes care of Gin when she ends up on the wrong end of some severe beatings. Jo-Jo uses her air elemental magic to heal, to sew ripped skin and knit broken bones back together again.

Jo-Jo is one of the few people, besides Finn and Sophia, who knows Gin's true identity as the
Theresa
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice little story that can be read for free on Ms. Estep’s website. It’s told from both JoJo and Sophia’s POV. They are two dwarf sisters, but very opposite and this story shows the differences (Sophia even talks about it at one point). So though it’s a simple story it’s worth reading to understand the sisters.

While both are air elementals, JoJo uses her to heal and can sometimes see the future and Sophia uses hers to tear apart things (cleaning up Gin’s messes) and can sense the past or what
Christine
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This online short story takes place between the events of the third Elemental Assassin book, Venom, and the fourth, Tangled Threads, and can be found on the author's website. Tangled Dreams is told from the point of view of the Devereaux sisters, Jo-Jo and Sophia. Gin comes stumbling to the Devereaux sister's house for healing, seriously injured after rescuing a woman and her young daughter from an evil gang of carjackers. This is a must read for fans of the Elemental Assassin series because it ...more
⚜️Trea
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenges-2014
The short stories that Ms. Estep has published on her website in the various universes that she writes in usually do something to enhance the story lines in some way, and this one was no exception. It is told in two parts in the voices of the Deveraux sisters. It gives some interesting information about both of them, and I have to admit I've always been curious about Sophia. This story really piqued that curiosity! It also showed that Jo-Jo can be just as much of a bad ass as Gin or Sophia, even ...more
Anna Marie
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Story told from Jo-Jo and Sophia's points of view.

I... was hoping for more charm from Jo-Jo, and more angst from Sophia, but I'm noticing that Estep doesn't much like *characterization* so much as she likes just writing action. It hurts the stories. Especially this one.

I also don't understand why Sophia can get blood out of anything, but Jo-Jo has to paint over the blood on the porch. Incongruous, that.

And I was VERY unhappy with everyone I'm supposed to be admiring LYING to Gin about what happe
Jacy
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
A quick short told from the duel prospectives of Jo-Jo and Sophia. In the first part, Gin gets involved in a scuffle and goes to Jo-Jo as usual, but she doesn't end up there alone. We finally get to see what a badass Jo-Jo can be. In the second part, we get a rare glipmse of Sophia desponsing of bodies. Always knew that Sophia had helped Fletcher and moved on to helping Gin, now we get a brief look as to why the pack was made. I hope someday to get Sophia's story because I have a feeling that it ...more
Petra
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Velice zajímavý příběh. Líbí se mi, jak v těchto krátkých příbězích Jennifer ukazuje blíže jednotlivé postavy série. Čtenáři je tak osvětlena nejedna věc, na kterou bylo odkázáno v knize a mnohem víc tak dokáže pochopit, co k čemu vedlo a co se kdy vlastně vedlo. Líbí se mi, že jsem měla možnost podívat se na kus příběhu z pohledů obou sester, přitom jsem odhalila něco málo z jejich minulosti a to něco mě ještě víc navnadilo na pokračování. Moc se mi líbí, jakou nesourodou rodinu to vlastně tvoř ...more
Kelly
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jo-Jo and Sophia might be as different as night and day but they use their magic in tandem to help Gin out of any sticky situations that arise. I LOVED that we got to see both sisters work their magic (literally) and clean up the mess that Gin inadvertently stepped into. And Sophia? I'm really, really curious to know what badness she survived in her life. I like that Goth dwarf. She's got style!

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Tangled Dreams is a free read on the author's website.
melissa
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A short few scenes told from the POV of the Deveraux sisters. Jo-Jo has to heal Gin after another encounter with some baddies, but according to her visions, her work doesn't stop at healing this time as one of the guys escaped and followed Gin to finish her off. Of course, that's not going to happen with the 2 dwarves on watch. We also get a little bit of insight on Sophia with hints toward past trauma that Fletcher saved her from.
Karla
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love the Deveraux sisters, and we get 2 points of view in this interesting short. Jo-Jo can fix the damage inflicted on her family and friends, but the women can do some major damage of her own. Sophia, cleans up what's left behind, blood, bodies, and we see what goes through her mind and how she does it. Both Air Elementals that use their mad skills in completely different ways. Oh and Finn makes an appearance, always good.
Erin
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Deveraux sisters are one of the most interesting characters in the Elemental Assassin series. There is that air of mystery that always surounds them and while you learn a little bit more about them in each book, you are always left with more questions than answers. I like how this is told from their points of view. It's the first time you really get to know how Jo-Jo's and Sophia's minds think. Would love to have more stories from their points of view.
Alicia
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
It’s funny how Gin thinks of herself as this big bad assassin and never realized how much the people around her try to baby her as well. This was a cute (or as cute as a story about killing people can be) story about how Jo-Jo and Sophia go out of their way to make sure that Gin get some rest. I loved getting to see a bit from their points of view, it was nice to see how they fit into this little family, and what roles they take on.
  • The Mammoth Book of Ghost Romance
  • The House at Cobb End (Cassandra Palmer, #5.1)
  • Finding Magic (Downside Ghosts, #0.5)
  • Kate's Origin (Curran POV #6)
  • Entangled
  • No Place Like Home (InCryptid, #0.03)
  • The Golem Hunt (Jaz Parks, #3.5)
  • Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5)
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
  • Nice Girls Don’t Sign a Lease Without a Wedding Ring (Jane Jameson, #3.5)
  • Shadow Touch (Shadow Touch, #1)
  • Pros and Cons (Nikki Glass, #2.5)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. She is the author of the following series:

THE ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy battling bad guys and righting wron

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)