Start by marking “Web of Death (Elemental Assassin, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Web of Death (Elemental Assassin, #1.5)

Web of Death

(Elemental Assassin #1.5)

This short story takes place after the events of Spider’s Bite but before the beginning of Web of Lies. In "Web of Death," Gin Blanco’s retirement is interrupted by some unwanted guests. ...more
Online Fiction, 1st Edition, 8 pages
Published 2011 by Jennifer Estep

To ask other readers questions about Web of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web of Death

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

This short is from Gin's POV and takes place between books 1 and 2. YES. That's right. You can read this one in the chronological order.

It's been so long since I last read this series that I don't know what it has to do with setting up the next book, beyond letting us know that retirement does not suit Gin. Not even a little bit.

Also, I don't recall her being so pragmatic when it comes to saving the lives of hapless innocents she stumbles across, so maybe this was supposed to lay ground
Steven
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
See, you can be an assassin and still be the "good guy," the "hero"... Gin has rules! And those rules include helping people in the clutches of evil, disgusting villains. :)
Veronika
Oct 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I'm catching up with these short stories before diving into the second book. I'm so excited!
I don't really know how this novella fits into the storyline or why was it important but it's always good to see Gin. Btw, wow on the setting! A lot of nasty things happen in Ashland in this series!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Liked this little look into Gin figuring out where she fits now that she has retired from being an assassin....or, at least, for now.
Jo
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: novella, 3-5-stars, gr2016

A short interlude between book 1 and 2, where we have Gin moving into Fletcher, her mentor’s home. Some evil doers has chosen the forest around her house as their hunting ground. Luckily the Spider is there to make them the prey. I always love seeing Gin be the good guy, and using her “evil” skills to save the day or in this case the vampire in distress :-D A fun and entertaining short story.

Cyndi
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Before I get into book 6 I want to catch up with the short stories. Jennifer Estep has a gift for writing the short stories! Each of them are like mini books, but from another character's perspective. Although the other books get on fine with out them, the stories 'flesh out' the world.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I always enjoy stories where the bad guys get killed. Especially bad guys who rape. It gives me a certain elation that the world is suddenly right. Gin may be a killer, but she has ethics. Ones that I agree with and can abide by.
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

Web of Death takes place between book 1 ( Spider’s Bite ) and book 2 ( Web of Lies ) and is told in Gin’s POV.

Gin is now officially retired as an assassin and is moving into her new place when all of a sudden she is interrupted by a scream coming from the surrounding forest. To check it out, or not to check it out...

Hmm. I had two choices now. Go investigate what the fuss was all about and amuse myself for maybe an hour, or stay here and haul boxes of books into Fl
Theresa
This short story takes place between “Spider’s Bite” and “Web of Lies” depicting Gin’s boredom with her retirement and the subsequent moment when she gets pulled back into using her “special talents”... Overall, this story is a rehash of information the reader already knows and does not propel the storyline of the series forward, but it is well written and was interesting enough to maintain my attention... 3 Stars:)
Kelly
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I like that Gin prefers murder and mayhem over unpacking boxes. WHO DOESN'T, RIGHT? Here, we get to see a look at the softer side of Gin as she helps someone (in a bloody, dead body kind of way) just because they need her to. Retirement's for people who aren't happiest carrying half a dozen knives on them at all times, methinks.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Web of Death is a free read on the author's website.
Yaz
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well Gin doesn't seem to be enjoying retirement at all. A few weeks after Fletcher's funeral, Gin decides to move into Fletcher's house. This short story tells us of how Gin would like to spend the rest of her retirement. This is a good addition to the series
Skye
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can’t imagine Gin as being retired, even after only reading one of her novels. Everything in Spider’s Bite is incredibly high adrenalin and a fight to the death (literally), so although the idea of retirement is nice, it’s hard to imagine the actual decision / action.

Which, luckily, Estep also seemed to feel. Gin isn’t quite settling into her desired retirement, and still dealing with the aftermath of Fletcher’s death. All of which means that a vampire hooker in trouble is the perfect excuse t
Sapphyria
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Web of Death is a short story set in the world of Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series. The book setting is the woods just outside of Fletcher Lane's home. Recently inherited by Gin Blanco after Fletcher's untimely death, Gin hears voices in the woods. Upon investigation she finds a woman being attacked. Does she stay and help the woman or pretend she doesn't hear or see anything?

Web of Death is interesting in typical assassin form. Is it a necessary story in the Elemental Assassin world?
LastBreath
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
It's kinda hard to give this an honest rating because I read it before starting Web of Lies. But because I'm bound to read the majority of this series (well the full length novels that is) I can't just glance over the in between short reads. Especially if they're free to read on the authors web page.

Do I think it's worth the hassle? Probably not. It just kinda reinforces what we basically learned in Spiders Bite
Nancy Brady
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cleaning house or what to do when unpacking seems boring...Gin Blanco takes on some abusive people pro bono (just as she did when she took on the abusive rapist and corrupt cop Cliff Ingles, partner of Donovan Caine). Sometimes you have to clean house.
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gin in "retirement mode" *snort*. You'd have to be a real idiot to torture and kill someone on land belonging to Gin Blanco. They had it coming.
Tammy Kesteloot
Nice little short story to fill in a small gap between books 1 & 2
Jen
This was a rather fun story. It shared with us a moment of Gin's retirement, in between books one and two. Her now-famous curiosity led her to save a woman. :-)

My only problem is. . . Wasn't it in book two that she learned about Fletcher's altruistic leanings? So her mention that she learned about them recently is a bit of a continuity error. :-/
Kathy Davie
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This short story is 1.5 in the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series revolving around Gin Blanco, an assassin.

You can read this short story for free on Estep's website.

My Take
This is from Gin's perspective a few weeks after Fletcher was brutally murdered. A pivotal short story as it starts the burr of thought in Gin, about what she's learned about Fletcher's more altruistic side, about her own boredom.

It's also a quick reminder of why and how Fletcher met his end.

The Story
Gin is not enjoying h
SK Payne
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ah, yet another successful night for Gin Blanco.

Web of Death takes place after Spider's Bite and Web of Lies. Web of Death finds our hero, er, anti-hero, Gin Blanco in the process of unpacking boxes at her new home. Gin now lives in Fletcher's home, which he left to her in his will.

As she unpacks, Gin hears a noise in the woods and goes to investigate. There she comes across two goons who are about to kill a young woman. Being semi-retired from the life of an assassin, Gin is bored and this is
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This short story fits between the first and second books of the Elemental Assassin series.

Several weeks after the events of Spider's Bite, Gin has retired from the assassin business and is now the owner of the Pork Pit. She also happens to be moving into Fletcher's house, when she hears a woman's scream coming from the woods near the house. Unable to ignore her instincts, she ends up finding a woman being beaten by a giant and a vampire. And knowing she can't just walk away, she falls back into
Alicia
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
This is a short story which looks at how Gin is handling her “retirement” – it also shows us the side of her personality that makes her do all these “pro bono” jobs. It’s a nice little piece that is meant to go between books, my only issue with all of these short stories is that even though they are SHORT stories, the author still feels the need to insert large paragraphs of recapping (like going over how Gin never leaves without her five point arsenal, and then going on to describe said arsenal ...more
Art (Posting elsewhere as Whistler Reads)
well written. Reads like a missing scene...
Shelley
Gin has been an assassin for 17 years, but now she is semi-retired and running the Pork Pit once owned and operated by her mentor Fletcher Lane who was horribly tortured and murdered by an Air elemental.

Gin is now moving into Fletcher's home with all of her worldly possessions, mostly books and knives. Lots and lots of knives.

The only problem is, Gin can't stay retired. This is the story of what happens when she comes across two men, a giant and a vampire, beating the crap out of a female becaus
Anna Marie
Jan 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
An e-Book mini that fits between two actual novels... that really wasn't worth the read.

Gin has NO personality in this one. The characters are contrived (don't we have a Billy and his cohort in 'By a Thread'?). The whole situation woven up for this story is done sloppily. The writing is (again) clinical, with nothing to make us even want to read it. In fact... honestly, I ended up skimming most of the middle part.

C'mon. This could be done FAR better with a little passion behind it...
Teresa

This is a really short story. Doesn't really add anything to the series, it is just a well written story that gives a little insight into the series protagonist Gin Blanco. Gin is also "The Spider" a very successful assassin. If you are a fan of the series then I highly recommend reading this It is free on the authors web site,
but if you are not then I suggest you start with Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1). Either way... enjoy.
Christine
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This short takes place right after Spider's Bite. Gin has retired from the assassin business, but when she discovers some men ganging up on a woman a few short miles from her new place, she can't help but respond to the situation and some heads roll. Literally.

I think we all knew Gin wouldn't be able to stay retired from the assassin business too long. Clearly she's doing the world a service, which is why she can't resist certain pro bono jobs like this one that just land in the woods near her h
Netanella
Set shortly after the events of the first book, Spider's Bite, here Gin has retired from the assassin business and is busy moving in to her dead mentor, Fletcher's house. Her retirement is short-lived, however, when she discovers some nasties in the nearby woodlands and does some work pro bono. And, I was very happy to learn, just like Showtime's serial killer Dexter, Gin has a Code. Awesome! I am loving this series.
Rose
Jun 15, 2011 rated it liked it
This short story was interesting, but not really anything particular. I liked it, though.

It's five weeks after Fletcher's death, and Gin's on her way home, when she discover a hooker from Roslyn Phillip's night club, being beated up. She saves the girl from the evil men.

I think this story was a little bit extraneous, because this was mostly just a "book" you would read if you liked the series - it has nothing to do with the actual books or anything.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cat Fight (Jane Yellowrock, #9.1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Ghost Romance
  • Kate's Origin (Curran POV #6)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)
  • Pros and Cons (Nikki Glass, #2.5)
  • Bladed Magic (Colbana Files, #0.6)
  • Nice Girls Don’t Sign a Lease Without a Wedding Ring (Jane Jameson, #3.5)
  • Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5)
  • Forsaken (Fallen Siren, #2.5)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. She is the author of the following series:

THE ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy battling bad guys and righting wron

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)