Start by marking “Old Haunts (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Old Haunts (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #3)

Old Haunts

(A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery #3)

The ghosts haunting Alison Kerby's Jersey Shore guesthouse are sad. Maxie wants to know who murdered her ex-husband, and Paul pines for his still-living almost-fiancee. The only one who isn't missing her ex is Alison-because The Swine just arrived on her doorstep...
Mass Market Paperback, 290 pages
Published February 7th 2012 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Old Haunts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Haunts

Ivonne Rovira
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of funny cozies
Recommended to Ivonne by: Bill Wolfe
Poor Alison Kerby! She just can’t seem to catch a break!

Alison’s been running her guesthouse relying heavily on Senior Plus Tours, which promises their clients a ghostly experience at the guesthouse on the Jersey Shore. That experience is provided at twice a day by Alison’s resident ghosts: private investigator Paul Harrison and over-the-top Maxie Malone.

But Alison’s life is turned upside down when she’s beset by exes: a request by Paul to find the love of his life (when he had one), a request
✨Susan✨
A cute cozy series. This one was a little predictable but still had a good story and fun characters. Alyson is a single mother who is remodeling an old home into a bed and breakfast, she has two resident ghosts that are her friends. In this addition to the series they each need her to investigate something very important and personal to each of them. If that wasn't enough to keep her busy her ex shows up out of the blue. A good story, but like I said a bit predictable. I will be reading more of ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reading 'Old Haunts' was like sitting down and enjoying a chat with a good friend. If you have read the other novels in the series, as I have, you are already comfy with Sleuth Alison, her daughter, Melissa, and resident Haunts, Maxie and Paul. They are managing to live together in a lovely large home that is being remodeled into a guest house that specializes in ghost hauntings. This story is located on the Jersey Shore.

Maxie has a terrible shock, her former husband (short duration,) has been d
Connie
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really do enjoy reading the books in this series. Light, clean, easy reads with some sarcastic humor thrown in! The mysterie are very entertaining and have you second guessing "who done it". :)
Chris
2.5 stars. Alison's ex husband shows up unexpectedly, and the two resident ghosts turn out to have unfinished business of their own.
Clara  Baker Baldwin
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this although I took a long time reading. I like the way the "ghosts" are transforming and how it might affect later books.
Darcey Hawkins
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding read! I love the way the author ‘speaks’ to us via the main character. It makes me feel included and special as I listen to the book. Her characters are engaging as is the story line. The narrator is superb! I recommend this book, this series, to all who enjoy a ghost story with a twist!
Gloria Feit
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Alison Kerby returns in the third in what is billed as the Haunted Guesthouse Mystery series by E.J. Copperman. Alison, a single mother of a precocious ten-year-old daughter, after her divorce from the man she not-so-lovingly refers to as “The Swine” returned to the town where she grew up, Harbor Haven on the Jersey Shore, purchased a house over a century old, hoping to live out her dream of running a guest house. Those plans changed somewhat after Alison discovered that the previous owner of th ...more
Vilia
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Review from Backchatting Books

Alison Kerby is once again drawn away from her guesthouse duties to investigate mysteries for her resident ghosts. The remains of Maxie’s ex-husband Big Bob have been discovered and it looks like murder. Paul on the other hand wants Alison to track down the woman he was going to propose. If that wasn’t enough, Alison’s cheating ex-husband is back in town and he wants to reconcile.

Just like the other books in this series, I found myself drawn more to the ghost Paul
Crystal
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghost-stories
Fun, clean read. I love the sarcastic humor. I had the mystery figured out fairly quickly (well the who, but not the why) so I still enjoyed the read.

Sexual content: mild – a few innocent kisses
Language: none (at least that I remember)
Violence: mild
Drugs/Alcohol: mild – adults drink
Robin Green
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I'm surprised on how much I'm enjoying this series. And just when you figure you know who did it, the author twists the ending to something else.
Tahmina
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
M.L.D.
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was OK. I liked the protagonist and her snarky narrative voice. But she's not really keen on the detective stuff, which puts a pall over the whole book. Why should I care about the murder if she doesn't? Another thing that drove me nuts: in a book written in 2012, the fact that Allison couldn't do a basic Google search for either of her investigations (especially locating ghost Paul's former girlfriend) was laughable. LAUGHABLE. I laughed. And no, telling me that she has an old computer doe ...more
Kat, lover of bears...
There is no shortage of characters and supporting characters in this series. Luckily it is easy to keep track of them all thanks to Amanda Ronconi's awesome narration.

One small irritation in this book, the convincing of Allison to investigate Maxie's ex-husband's murder. This is the third book and Melissa is yet another year older. Maxie and Allison's irritation of each other should have cooled to something more adult. Although only 5-10 years older than Maxie, Allison acts as if Maxie is a chi
Denise
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice Cozy read - liked the ghosts.
This mystery takes us the guesthouse where more than the average traveler dwells. We find two ghosts in the house and they place a role in many ways in the story. The owner is on a mission to find a killer and a lost love. Along the way she fights her ex husband, the ghosts and then is there a new romance in the books? Something seems off with all of those issues and just were it all leads who knows.

I have not read the other books in the series and I moved righ
Traci
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alison owns a guesthouse that two resident ghosts - Maxine and Paul.

Paul wants Alison to help him find a long lost lover of his. He was going to propose to her before he died. Paul was concerned Julia, his former lover, was devastated by his death.

Meanwhile Maxine's former husband, Big Bob, was found buried under the boardwalk in a town nearby.

Then there is a mysterious friend of Big Bob shows up and wants Alison to help find out who killed Big Bob.

Finally, Alison's former husband, the Swine,
Lisa
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy, mystery, ghosts
Enjoyable read. There were two mystery plot lines: solving the murder of Maxie's ex-husband, and finding Paul's former almost-fiance. The dead ex-husband took center stage, and unfortunately, it dragged on a little long. I had it figured out well before Alison, and I started to get annoyed with her constant floundering about what to do next. The Paul story was much more interesting to me, and I wish it had gotten some more page time. And while I didn't like Alison's ex-husband, which is clearly ...more
Amanda
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great read by E.J. Copperman! This is a great series and I love a chance to visit with Alison, Melissa, Paul, and Maxie. There's a lot going on in this book, and it wasn't too hard to figure out who the "bad guy" was in the main mystery, but there were a lot of interesting little mysteries that get solves along the way with many twists and turns. We finally get to meet Alison's ex, The Swine, who doesn't seem so bad at first but whose flaws became apparent early on. I really like how dev ...more
Maetta
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Maxie's ex-husband regarding a marriage of very short duration has been discovered dead after two years. One of Big Bob's biker buddies hires Alison to solve the case giving the excuse that cops do not look kindly upon biker types and would little effort into the case. Maxie pleads so of course Alison caves. Once again, Alison's life is in danger with lots of intrigue.
Zachary
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title of this book describes it perfectly. Allison's ghosts are trying to make use of her detective skills in a most personal way. They each want her to find their own lost loves and find out what happened to them. Besides that, "The Swine," enters the picture, and tries to take over in the worst way, through her daughter! Good book, however, became monotonous at times.
Knight
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, which was a relief to me because I was disappointed in #2 in the series (An Uninvited Ghost). This book adds to the background of the main characters and there are new developments. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Jan
Alison can't get rid of her visiting ex husband, Maxie wants to know who killed her sort of ex husband, and Paul needs to know what has happened to the woman he loved. But everything goes sideways and twisty. Still a fun book.
Amanda Ronconi continues to be excellent as narrator!
J
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like this series. Writing is clever. Kind of a combo of Charlie Davidson and Stephanie Plum.
Forging on!
Von
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I liked the characters but each book seemed the same. Did not go past this book in the series.
Maureen
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this series, ghosts, murder, family...get it all in this series...
Sal4gal
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the Audible book.
I am crazy about this entire series!!! Soooooo funny!
Ellen Thielen
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The third installment of this series is a light-hearted caper set in a haunted bed-but-not breakfast.
Susan Moxley
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A real page turner with lots of twists and turns and lots of mystery and action to the very end of the book.
Lynette Caulkins
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars for an episode from one of my go-to cozy mysteries. Sometimes the protagonist gets a bit too quippy for me, but the setting and atmosphere continue to capture my fancy.
Cathy Cole
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it
First Lines: "Careful!" I said. All right, shouted. "We can't afford to drop this."

Alison Kerby is busy turning the attic of her Jersey Shore guesthouse into a bedroom for her daughter. Not only would it give her daughter her own space away from guests, it would free up a room to create more of that all-important cash flow. It's a good idea, but those around her have other plans.

Alison doesn't even have time to climb down from the ladder before she finds herself in the middle of "Revisit Your Fa
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
2019 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Old Haunts (Haunted Guesthouse #3) 8 21 Mar 26, 2017 10:04AM

• Supernatural Born Killers (Pepper Martin, #9)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • Murder on the House (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #3)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • Cloaked in Malice (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #5)
  • Bruja Brouhaha (A Mind for Murder, #2)
  • Baited Blood (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery, #2)
  • Haunting Jordan (Port Chatham Mystery #1)
  • A Night at the Operation (Double Feature Mystery #3)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Perfectly Matched (Lucy Valentine, #4)
  • Copycat Killing (A Magical Cats Mystery, #3)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Ghoul Interrupted (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #6)
  • Spells & Stitches (Sugar Maple, #4)
Librarian note: E.J. Copperman is the pen name for author Jeff Cohen

E.J. Copperman is a mysterious figure, or has a mysterious figure, or writes figuratively in mysteries. In any event, a New Jersey native, E.J. has written for such publications as The New York Times, Entertainment Weekly, American Baby and USA Weekend. Night of the Living Deed is the first E.J. Copperman novel. It will be fol

A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery (10 books)
  • Night of the Living Deed (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #1)
  • An Uninvited Ghost (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #2)
  • Chance of a Ghost (Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #4)
  • The Thrill of the Haunt (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #5)
  • Inspector Specter (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #6)
  • Ghost in the Wind (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #7)
  • Spouse on Haunted Hill (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #8)
  • The Hostess with the Ghostess (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #9)
  • Bones Behind the Wheel: A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery (Haunted Guesthouse Mysteries)
“There couldn't be a resolution, because life doesn't end on a schedule. It ends in the middle, every time.” 4 likes
“This ghost-seeing thing could be creepy or beautiful, and often was both at the same time.
p. 133.”