Start by marking “Max Danger: The Adventures of an Expat in Tokyo” as Want to Read:
Max Danger: The Adventures of an Expat in Tokyo

Max Danger: The Adventures of an Expat in Tokyo

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Published January 1st 1900 by Tuttle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Max Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max Danger

Humorous, slightly dark view of American buisnessman in the inscruitable east. Some very funny bits, but not very sustainable. Read on the way back from Japan. Best bit--office planning [something] for next week.

(written in 1994)
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charming and often funny anecdotes. Fast read due to the writing style. Makes me want to visit Japan and write a book about it.
Dec 11, 2010 added it
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: boyfriend's dad
not rated; abandoned about 16 pages in.

I knew I would not get along with this book when the main character begins the book with a late-night trip to a "hostess club" for work, and the employees consistently refer to him as "Dangerous-san" when his last name is just "Danger". Very irritating! Also the first appearance of his wife featured her nagging him about not getting them a maid, and I did not think that was the best way to be introduced to her. Perhaps this is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I did give the book a low rating, but it wasn’t bad. It was just very amateurish, by which I mean that sometimes the story was difficult to follow because of the writing style, which was a little juvenile and inconsistent. I read the entire book sitting on the library floor because the sock was on the dorm room door (if you know what I mean) and I had no where to be.

It was quirky, funny, and I enjoyed the anecdotes quite a bit. I think it’s worth reading if you are interested in Japanese culture
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japan
Having been a Japan traveller and post study intern/short term expat a couple years ago and despite the books age (first published in the late 1980s) it was a very fun read and quite a few situations so typical.

Many of the things written about in this book could have been experienced by myself in more or the other similar way. All in all it was a fun read though some of the episodes overlived themselfs such as the episode of head office correspondance via facsimile.

This does not make it any less
Mike Montesa
Nov 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read this book just before I went to Japan. It is pretty funny, even though it does play on stereotypes (well, exaggerations maybe?) of Japan during the Bubble. After I got there, I realized the stories in the book were little more than the tall tales you heard at the bar almost any Friday night in Roppongi. Still, it's got it's charm, and makes me nostalgic for the craziness of late 80's early 90's Tokyo.
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
This was a funny book about experiences in Japan. It was quick reading due to its humorous anecdotes on differences in American and Japanese culture and because it was well written. He didn't address the white car issue however.
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
pam and tracy you have to read these if you haven't!
Ellen Guenther