Start by marking “Red Sled” as Want to Read:
Red Sled

Red Sled

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  1,871 Ratings  ·  254 Reviews
In this almost wordless picture book, a host of woodland creatures take a child's sled for a nighttime joy ride. Their whimsical ride is gorgeously depicted in bold watercolor, complemented by humorous expressions and pitch-perfect sound effects. With a timeless tone and classic characters, RED SLED will become a wintertime favorite.
Published November 1st 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Red Sled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Sled

Lisa Vegan
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
This is a very simple book, so simple that once a child has it read to them, they should be able to read it to themselves, even if they don’t know their ABCs.

The story is told almost 100% through the pictures; the only words used are onomatopoeic ones. I love the artwork and how it manages to convey the story so well.

The story is fun and very funny too, especially when the sled is full, when the porcupine joins the other riders, and when the bear and then the child find the sled.

In the author bi
Richie Partington
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Richie's Picks: RED SLED by Lita Judge, Atheneum, November 2011, 36p., ISBN: 978-1-4424-2007-6

I learned a new word today: "Gadung."

Listen to the sound as you speak it aloud, like this: Ga-DUNG.

Now say it four times in a row: Ga-DUNG. Ga-DUNG, Ga-DUNG, Ga-DUNG.

Come on! Do it again.

I can just feel the gentle jarring in my bottom and up my rickety old back as I read aloud the two-page spread in RED SLED that says "Gadung Gadung Gadung Gadung" while we view the moo
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Since my first daughter was born two and a half years ago, I've found myself (surprise!) reading a LOT of picture books. I don't even remember the vast majority of them - but every once in a while, you read a book that really stands out. And sometimes, the kid seems to really like it, too. Red Sled is one of those books - one of those books you not only want to own for your own kids, but look forward to reading to the grandkids one day.

Judge's drawings are bright, eye-catching, and dynamic, and
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2011
With no true narrative, colorful, moonlit illustrations and lots and lots of onomatopoeia, this is a great book for parents and children to "read" together. Our girls helped to narrate the tale in their own words and we all took turns making the fun sounds - "Scrinch scrunch" and "Gadung" were our favorites to say over and over again. This is a humorous tale and we enjoyed reading it together.
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is packed full of joie de vivre. RED SLED is the visual equivalent of a haiku, with perfectly chosen and formed paintings that tell a simple story that will only grow in retellings. I love the facial expressions, both human and animal, that convey so much emotion. The excitement, thrill, pure terror, and sense of accomplishment in a sled ride; the sense of belonging and community in shared experiences; the possibility of MORE than meets the eye. Judge's work is Caldecott material, but ...more
Paul  Hankins
When a red sled is left outside, leaning against the house, it provides a wintry invitation for the animals to go on the ride of their lives. Delightful illustrations, RED SLED is a mentor text for onomatopoeia for its delightful depictions of walking across snow and coming to an abrupt landing at the bottom of a hill. Maddie (9) my own One Book Four Hands go-to gal, laughed out loud at this one.
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wordless
I've read a million picture books, and I LOVE IT when one can make me laugh out loud.

Lots of open space on these pages, lovely blues for the night time sky, flat-out awesome expressions on the animals' faces, super noises, solid composition on the page, just the right amount of variation and repetition, and a good ending.

Love the next-to-last page with the red sled leaning in one direction and the point of the girls' cap leaning in the other.
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Pure fun! You can not read this without smiling. I love that the text is completely sound effects, it makes the book function as a wordless book and a story. Great looking animals without being to cute. I can picture these animals hanging out with the woodland creatures from Waiting for Winter.
Marissa Elera
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Colby Sharp
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wordless
Super book to use to teach using sound effects in writing.
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun wordless story.
Mar 17, 2017 added it
Shelves: poetry
The best thing about this book is that though it is the size of a regular story book, it only like twenty words.

"Why, yes, my children, we CAN read another book. How generous of me to permit it."
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This almost wordless book sparkles with the joy of sledding. A little child leaves their sled leaning up outside their house. When night falls, a bear walks by and spots the red sled. With a “scrunch scrinch scrunch scrinch” he walks away with the sled under his arm. Then he and a rabbit ride the sled down the hill, hooting with glee. They head down the hill in different positions and then are by a moose, and eventually raccoons, an opossum, a porcupine and a mouse. When morning light starts to ...more
Ardea Smith
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-log
Title / Author / Publication Date: Red Sled/Lita Judge/2011

Genre: Picturebook, Fiction

Format: Hardcover

Plot summary: This book is beyond cute! A smashup of the artwork design from The Snowy Day and the animals galore that comes from Jan Brett's books, Red Sled is a great, almost wordless picturebook about the adventures of a sled on a winters day. Click on the link to see a shortened animated version of the book created by the author:

Considerations or pre
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This nearly wordless book involves a young child, a red sled and some animals who discover just how much fun sledding can be! A bear finds the sled propped up against a cabin, just where the child left it. The bear soon finds himself gathering speed and company as he careens down a hill. The sled is returned to the cabin wall, but the child notices the bear's footprints and quickly puts two and two together. Soon child and animals alike are sledding together! The author uses "scrunch, scrinch" f ...more
Melissa Stewart
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Red Sled may be almost wordless, but it's full of heart and soul. This is a new kind of book for Judge, who is well known for her picture book biographies and nonfiction science. And it seems to be the book she was born to create. The joyous exuberance of the animals is impossible to deny as they whiz through a winter wonderland on a borrowed red sled. Perfect for sharing with your favorite child and a steaming cup of cocoa, this book is bound to become a classic.
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful winter tale! A little boy's red sled is used by a band of forest animals for a late-night adventure in the snowy woods. I love the illustrations and the whimsy.

This would facilitate so many lessons for K-3 grade. Because of the sparse words, it lends itself to a writing activity for the students to fill in dialogue, etc. It is also perfect for teaching onomatopoeia.
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
My new favorite snow book, it's so simple with minimal text just fun sound effects and beautiful art. A bear borrows a sled and all of his forest friends join in the fun. Such a sweet and wonderful picturebook, Lita Judge does a great job translating the joy of a good sled ride.
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What happens when a little girl leaves her red sled outside her cabin one night and some curious creatures find it? A very fun adventure, and a great picture book, that's what! :->

This book is sooo cute! I just loved it. Great fun, and wonderful onomatopoeia.
Dec 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Mostly wordless picture book about good times had with a borrowed red sled. All the words are sledding sounds and makes you feel like you're along for the ride. Cute animals and funny idea!
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seasons
Adorable!!! This would be such a fun book to share with preschoolers and primary grade students, especially if you could encourage them to make the noises with you.
Sara Mangan
A red sled is left outside one night. A few animals find it and take it on an adventure one night. Not wanting to miss out on the fun the child watches through the window and is able to join them on their next adventure.

Genre: Contemporary realistic fiction because these events could happen but the characters are fictional.

Writing Traits;
1-Voice- There are few words in this book. The words the author uses makes the reader feel like they are right there having this same experience.
2- Presentation
Nancy Roach
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
SLEDDING!!! There is a little boy who has a red sled and leaves it outside the cabin window. Then a bear comes up and decides to go sledding and many other different animals decide to join him. This book does not have many words, so your class could use their imagination and decide what they think the animal is thinking or dialect between the animals. Mostly throughout the words are sound effects the animals are making. Its a cool book about the many animals that rode on the boys sled. He also s ...more
Jess Bergoine
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordless-books
-This book has not received any awards.
-It is appropriate for ages 4 to 8.
-This book is about a girl who leaves her sled out at night. When it turns to night time, a bunch of curious animals take the sled out for a nighttime ride. The reader will have to see if the girls finds who took he sled.
-I read this book aloud for my language and literacy class at community college. It is a super cute story and a lot of fun sound effects can be made. It is a really good book for getting the whole class i
Amy Lafleur
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: winter, snow
In this nearly wordless story (except for a few onomatopoeia words), a child leaves a sled outside the house. A group of animals which include a bear and rabbit find the sled and decide to give a try. Even more animals join in including a mouse, possum, and raccoon. The illustrations are also quite nice and really tell the story as the animals test out the sled on the winter's night and then leave. I loved the expressions on the animals as they find that they love the sled ride. The few onomatop ...more
Feb 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
1) No Awards
2) Ages 2-8
3) The Red Sled was about a bear who finds a sled outside of a cabin in the winter time. The bear enjoys riding the sled. He also makes a new friendship and a companion to share his joy of sledding.
4) This wordless picture book is good for students to imagine what is going to happen next. It is also good for students who do not know how to read yet get experience with books. Students who cannot read the book can figure out what is happening by paying close attention to the
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story of Red Sled starts with one little girl with a little red sled and one curious bear. This lighthearted tale tells a sweet story with no words. This story would be perfect for pre-readers. The emotions of the characters in the story leave a lasting impression. This story has small words on the pages that act as sound effects. The pictures cover the pages. The emotions of the characters really shine through in the pictures. Overall this is a fun story that is easy to understand even with ...more
Nancy Kotkin
Children's picture books about sledding in winter are nothing new, but this one is my personal favorite. Wordless except for sound effects. The facial expressions are a real treat and provide important visual cues to the story line.
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute illustrations coloured with delightful taste compose the adventure of the animal forests in the winter with the red sled. A little wordless book (it is filled with exclamatory expression though) very comforting for those winter days at home.
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
  • Shadow
  • Rah, Rah, Radishes!: A Vegetable Chant
  • Little White Rabbit
  • Chalk
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?