Start by marking “One Moon, Two Cats” as Want to Read:

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  139 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
One moon.
Two cats
are not asleep.

Across a great distance, but under the light of the same moon, a city cat and a country cat pounce and play, crouch and leap in a rollicking nighttime adventure. When morning comes, they are both back in their respective homes and finally, turn in to sleep.
Published August 30th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about One Moon, Two Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Moon, Two Cats

Miriam
May 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
The sweet cover led me to expect that this little book involved kitty friendship. Not so! The two cats live far apart, one in the city and one in the country, and never meet, although they do chase mice on the same night. And get rained on. And nap. Um, okay. What are you getting at, Ms. Godwin? That cats are the same all over? I feel like something is missing here.

Cute but slight.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This simple story describes the night lives of two cats, one in the country and one in the city. Even though they live in different types of places, their lives and activities are very similar. I love the illustrations by Yoko Tanaka, especially at the end, where you see two cats asleep on their respective owners' beds, then turn the page to find two smaller illustrations of the mice they were chasing in the night safely sleeping too. Very cute, and a great readaloud for pre-schoolers. Recommend ...more
Michelle
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't love the art but I love any story about cats.
Nicola Mansfield
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reason for Reading: I received this book unsolicited and don't have young children any more but have read this Canadian author before and personally enjoy a good picture book.

This is a bedtime story, showing the nighttime frolics of two cats while their respective child owners sleep. It is also a variant on the city vs country lifestyles as one lives in the city and one in the country. The paintings by Tanaka are beautiful, realistic and yet full of a dreamtime quality. The cat's eyes have a sle
Barbara
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, picture-book
Two cats, one in the city and one in the country, wait until their human companions are asleep before beginning their own adventures. As both felines slip from their homes, they stroll casually through the outdoors until something catches their attention. Then, each cat is off, trying to catch a mouse. Just when the demise of a mouse seems imminent, a storm sends the cats and mice scurrying for cover. Reaching home, they fall asleep in their respective beds, leaving their human bedmates unaware ...more
Melissa
Some really nice moments--I love the spread of the bridge, with the two small cats almost meeting--but felt that different choices could have been made with the illustrations and text so they could have supported each other & the story a little more clearly.
Kristin
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Story of two cats and their nightly adventures. Lots of action words. Good story for 3-year-olds or to act out if you adapt it.
Samantha
Sep 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Rhythmic and simple with darker illustrations (color palette, not tone). Fun read aloud that would be a nice addition/refresher in a cat storytime.
Elisabeth
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Read this a few times. Enjoying it more with each reading. Illustrations a little too dark and too detailed (and the details really enhance the story) to be super great choice for storytime.

Julie
Sweet illustrations, lots of simple language and active verbs that should appeal to even the youngest readers, who will enjoy this tale of two cats and their nocturnal adventures.
Mickey
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, childrens-books
Beautifully illustrated children's book about a country cat and a city cat, and their experinces under one night's moon.
ReadingWench
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Soft and pretty illustraions accompany this fun book about cats and what they do.
Vibeke
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read so many children's books now, I don't really keep track of all of them. But this one really stands out. The story is simple and holds my 2-year-old son's attention well. The illustrations are elegant and engaging. For me, the important thing is that my son is learning about rhythm and rhyme and different patterns in language, all of which are demonstrated in this book.
Robin
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: jpb
Lovely illustrations. I worried about the mice, but it all turned out well.
Sarah Sammis
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
One Moon, Two Cats by Laura Godwin is about two cats living very different lives but having similar adventures under the light of a full moon.

Thematically the book is akin to the Country Mouse, City Mouse parable. Here too there's a country cat and a city cat. But they don't meet and they don't comment on each other's lifestyle. Instead, the country and the city provide landscapes for their nocturnal explorations.

The one moon provides a point of similarity from which Godwin, paired with Yoko Tan
Elaine
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
A simple and cute story about what cats do under the moon while people are asleep. The words and sentence structure are very simple and leaves a lot of room for creativity when reading aloud. I really enjoyed the illustrations which is nice change from the usual cute and cuddly pictures aimed at young children. The kids enjoyed the story during storytime and brought about a good discussion and activity sessions about what the cats did during this time.
Destiny Dawn Long
I was drawn to this book because of the beautiful illustrations. They're dark, detailed, textured and gorgeous. They really capture the feel of nighttime prowling.

And the story is great to read to a toddler. There's never too much text on a page. There is fun word play. It's easy to follow the action. And it features a wonderful variety of action words, to help children expand their vocabulary.
Allison
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-easy
I was drawn to this book by the lovely illustration on the cover. It has a cute story about the nocturnal activities of a city cat and a country cat, but the high point of the book is its great illustrations by Yoko Tanaka; very soft and muted.
Kaethe
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
February 15, 2012

I'm very happy with my impulse to check this out. Totally adorable. City cat and country cat both sneak out of their kids' bedrooms to chase mice at night. The art is gorgeous, making a good foil for the very simple rhyming text.

Library copy.
Linda Atkinson
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Toddler friendly and wonderfully illustrated!
Niki (Daydream Reader)
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sam really enjoys this book!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Tanaka's illustrations are lovely and bring the story to the next level.
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Sweet illustrations. Storytime potential.
Vilo
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Day and night, country and city, two cats doing what cats do at night--and in the morning. Beautiful illustrations with lots of details for children (and adult readers!) to explore.
Nicole
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_book
Sweet cat-themed book. The text is more like a series of rhyming phrases...but in the best way. The illustrations almost have a dream-like quality to them (very nice).
Bee
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
The yin yang cat cover caught my eye immediately. While their owners are dreaming in bed, two cats are leading the night life instead.
Ruth Ann
Simple rhyming text tells the parallel stories of a nighttime adventure of two cats in different locales under the same moon. :)
Kelly
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute story with fun illustrations that were easy to use for storytime. Although my WHOLE audience was dog people.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I like the text and the illustrations for the most part, but not cat's eyes.
Janet
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler-books
Excellent cat book for the tods!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Laura Godwin grew up in Alberta, Canada. She has written many well-loved books for children, including Barnyard Prayers, Little White Dog, Happy & Honey, and co-authored The Doll People, The Meanest Doll in the World, and The Runaway Dolls. She lives in New York City.
More about Laura Godwin