Start by marking “Utterly Otterly Night” as Want to Read:
Utterly Otterly Night

Utterly Otterly Night

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Little Otter is ready for some action! Rustling leaves call to him. Sweet, spicy air beckons. The moon is as huge and golden as Owl’s eyes. So Little Otter sets off for some fun. But with wolves on the prowl, Little Otter’s adventures are a series of dizzying close calls. When he finally returns to his den, Little Otter’s family is all played ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Utterly Otterly Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Utterly Otterly Night

Danielle
Watch out! Little Otter’s back, and ready to play in Mary Casanova’s second story based on this character. Despite close calls with a rabbit, owl, moose and a pack of wolves, Little Otter’s bravery gets him, and his family, safely home.
Little Otter is characteristic of kits and kids everywhere. The author and illustrator make the characters and action come alive; Casanova with careful onomatopoeiac phrasing, and Ard Hoyt with expressive illustrations.
Hoyt uses a wintery palette of white, brown a
Kristine Pratt
Otter is back with lots of words that fun to say. He seems to have grown up a little, is acting more mature and responsible than even his family right now. Fast paced and with just enough danger to give a thrill right up until the end.
Stacy Kirkman
What a clever story about overcoming danger. The otters are the cutest little family and they are having a ball playing in the snow until wolves appear. It is a sweet story about family and I would recommend this book to kids.
Barbara
It's a cold winter night, and Little Otter and his family leave their burrow to frolic in the snow and icy water. But they must be on the watch for danger amid all the fun they're having. When Little Otter spots five predators, he tries to warn the family, and then lead the wolves away. By zigging and zagging across the snow and through plain old luck, he manages to escape from the wolves. I loved some of the phrases in this story: "utterly, otterly way," "whooshily, shooshily way," "chompity, w ...more
Jessica
Utterly Otterly Night had beautiful illustrations and great use of fun word phrases. The otters are having a ball sliding down snowy hillsides in the night. When encountered by wolves they zigzag and manage to get away. Overall this book is adorable in every way possible and would make a great read aloud. Since the words used are silly, such as shooshily, otterly, whompity, etc, it would be fun to hear orally. I believe kids of all ages will appreciate this book because I surely did as a college ...more
Brittany
I loved the cute little otters in this book. I just love otters in general--they're just so wildly happy and enthusiastic. I like the play on sounds, too, like friskily whiskily and whooshily shooshily and kaploosh!

What I didn't like was that I couldn't figure out the book's rhythm. I read it to my little brother twice in a row and still the cadence seemed very off. I also prefer books with brighter, more vivid illustrations. Nevertheless, the things I liked about it compensated for the things
Melanie
A cute sequel to "Utterly Otterly Night." The rhyming is better in this one but will still take much practice to get the rhthym down before reading aloud.

Young Otter is excited to be leaving the den at night. He encounters a hare, an owl, a moose and 5 wolves! Will he save his family in time?
The Library Lady
The word play and the action of the art combine beautifully here. One warning--the sequence with the wolves has scary moments that don't match the fun that comes before. Happy ending of course, but this isn't all "cute otter romping in the snow", if you know what I mean.....
Heather
A fun book about how a family of otters plays in the snow at night. It's also gently instructive about small animals' need to watch out for predators, so it could be useful in educating younger children about animals and the circle of life.
carissa
While out playing with his family one night, Little Otter shows that he knows what to do when danger is near.

The illustrations were well-done. However, the text did not flow.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This companion book to Utterly Otterly Day, has the same playful illustrations. Otter and his family head out to play, but when danger lurks who will save the day.
Shelli
Cute story with fun illustrations. Otters can go out and have an utterly otterly good fun as long as they stay aware of their surroundings. Constant vigilance!
S.K.
Title on the cover was hidden enough, that I really had to study it to figure out what I was reading.

Artwork was cute, story was just okay.
Carrie Gelson
Great for oral reading practice for kids working on slowing down and enunciating! Pictures are delightful!
Hapzydeco
Little Otter's play will bring a smile to your face and warm your heart on a cold winter evening.
Edward Sullivan
A fun, lively companion to Utterly Otterly Day.
Christen
The illustrations are absolutely adorable.
Carol
Cute story, loved the illustrations.
Erin
Great cadence.
Kary
Kary is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Stacey Young
Stacey Young marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mary Casanova is an award-winning children's author of novels and picture books. Many of her books stem from her life on the Minnesota-Canadian border; yet some of her stories have taken her as far away as France, Norway, and Belize for research. Whatever the setting for her books, Casanova writes stories that matter--and stories that kids can't put down.

Her book awards include: American Library A
More about Mary Casanova...
Cecile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands, France) McKenna Frozen Jess (American Girl Today) Chrissa (American Girl Today)