Start by marking “Forbidden” as Want to Read:
Forbidden

Forbidden

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  44,214 Ratings  ·  8,036 Reviews
Perfect for readers who enjoyed Flowers in the Attic, this is a heartbreaking and shocking novel about siblings Lochan and Maya, their tumultuous home life, and the clandestine, and taboo, relationship they form to get through it.

Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alc
Published June 28th 2011 by Simon Pulse (first published May 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden, please sign up.

Ana i'd say because of the characters. They have such a sad life and you really understand them and just want them to be happy even though that happiness…morei'd say because of the characters. They have such a sad life and you really understand them and just want them to be happy even though that happiness is wrong. It's an amazing book and it does play with your feeling. (less)
Mel Honestly, I don't know how you might react to this. I am terribly sorry about what happened to you when you were younger. This book is two siblings…moreHonestly, I don't know how you might react to this. I am terribly sorry about what happened to you when you were younger. This book is two siblings who fall in love and I feel like that situation might be entirely different than what you went through. I will say, there is a sex scene at the end of the book, however, it's more of a loving sex scene. I didn't see any abusive topics in their relationship but if you feel like it might be something you can't handle then I would say just don't force it :) (less)

Lyndsey
So... *awkward pause*

How many of you little sisters out there have come to a point in your life when you look at your older brother and think "Yeah, I'd hit that," and not in the punch-you-in-the-arm kind of way?

Raise your hand. No one? Oh - you haven't?! Really? Are you sure?!

Well, maybe it's for the best that you've never thought about your sibling like that. And maybe you wouldn't be interested in this book. Or maybe you still would... Let's see, shall we?

Now, I'm going to be very blunt about
Dd
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites

I hate this book!!

I hate,hate,hate it!!

I thought I was prepared.And I was,to deal with a story depicting a forbidden and taboo relationship.

But....

But I was not prepared for this!!

I was NOT prepared to encounter something so pure,so beautiful,so tormented....something so stunning!!

I was not prepared for him.

Lochan.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hello Readers!!

I find myself utterly captivated by terrible beauty this book possesses.

I was disgusted.I was exploited.I wept
Emily May
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

After reading recent comments, I feel the need to stress an important point about this book: it is not about accepting incest. It's not a book like Flowers in the Attic or How I Live Now where incest is romanticised. It is a sad story about the danger of dysfunctional families and should never be regarded as another angsty tale of forbidden love, even though the title suggests otherwise.

So, first let me say that this was a very brave book to tackle such a controversial subject matter and the au
Wendy Darling
This is the story of a boy and a girl who fall in love. Lochan and Maya are best friends who have known each other their entire lives and have helped each other and fiercely loved one another through the many brutally painful experiences of growing up.

The thing is, they also happen to be brother and sister, and the unholy mess of the repercussions from their choices looms over this entire story.

No one who picks up a book like this can be unaware of the potential pitfalls. It's all too easy for a
Khanh (the meanie)
This is a review I've put off writing for over 3 years now.

It's always hard finding the words for a book I loved so much. I feel like everything that can be said about this book already has been said, and far more eloquently. As verbose I can be sometimes, it's so difficult to find the words to write in favor of a book I truly love.

To put it simply, I will just reiterate what so many other reviewers have said before about it: This book broke me, completely and utterly. In the very worst ways, in
Jude
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So Wrong It's Right...

Shit. This book was... Shit. I’m at a loss of words, so emotionally drained that I am actually cursing. And I never Curse. Period. So shit.

This book reminds me of Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher; not in the story, they are total and complete opposites, but the same feeling afterwards. A hollow in me, at the pit of my stomach, hands shaking and my heart nowhere in sight. It was an Amazing book. Not the kind of amazing where I’m jumping up and down begging you to read it,
Candace
Wow! That was some deeply disturbing and super depressing stuff. I'm thinking this was somewhere between a 3 1/2 and a 4 star read for me. This one will take some time to digest. In fact, as I write this review days later I'm still not sure exactly what to make of this story.

Lochan and Maya have been forced to grow up too quickly. As the oldest, these two siblings have had to take on the responsibility of raising their three younger siblings. Their drunken, deadbeat mother breezes in and out of
Reynje
So, About Taboo Subjects in YA Literature
Or: Do Teenagers Really Use the Word “Ensconced”?

Somewhere deep in the world of technical things I don’t really understand, there is an algorithm that persisted in listing Forbidden in almost every shelf of personalised recommendations. Based on my previous reading and shelving habits, it insisted that I should read this book. But I dug my heels in: “Stop trying to make Forbidden happen, Goodreads. It’s Not. Going. To. Happen.” (Because I have a pretty go
Angela
Forbidden was a book I thought would be easily forgettable, and I have never been so wrong. Throw out your moral compass and pick up this book

When I read what this story was about I was weirded out beyond belief... Brother and Sister get it on... No thank you, but after reading the reviews I finally put on my big girl panties and bought it. This book is like the show Shameless but with incest... Yeah I know still sounds insane! The character of this book couldn't have been written better. Maya
Dinjolina
Before everything:
This review is soon to be edited and posted on Rain Hart's & my book blog.
You can find our blog here. Be sure to subscribe and see all the fun we have in store for you!

Now, on to the review!
If you are starting this book or are planing to, put this song on your player and have it as a theme song for the book. Believe me. It helps when you get to the crying part :)
Together

First of all I have to tell you that what I am going to write will not please a lot of people.
So don't ag
Arlene
Jun 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Tina... pass the tissue please...
Rating Clarification 10 stars
Or rather… the highest rating I can ever imagine giving a book

As an avid reader you come across dozens and dozens of books hoping the next one you pick up will either move you to uncontrollable tears, challenge your belief system, take you on an emotional rollercoaster, show you love, make you feel hate, sigh with happiness, leave you with a sense of longing, or simply just close the book when you're done and say to yourseslf "wow, that was absolute perfection." This
Aestas Book Blog
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
*SOB SOB SOB*

“How could something so wrong feel so right?”

This book reduced me to a inconsolable, uncontrollably sobbing, shaking, and wailing WRECK!! My heart is utterly SHATTERED !!!!!! Why? Why?? WHY????

I have no idea how to write anything that describes the depths to which my heart ACHES! Its like a physical pain. The ending of this book was “heart-shattering”. Pure, gut-wrenching, PAIN.

It takes the concept of a “forbidden love” to a whole new level. It does not have a HEA and the end
kris
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is forbidden...Their love will have devastating consequences...
Lochan

Maya
“Out of the millions and millions of people that inhabit this planet, he is one of the tiny few I can never have.”

I dont want to review this book!I just cant!I've only slept three hours today because I HAD TO finish it!I needed to know how it ends and when that moment arrived I cried my eyes out.

Lochie's and Maya's
Marie Lu
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book this year to make me bawl my eyes out (the first was Code Name Verity, by Elizabeth Wein). I've never seen such a taboo topic like sibling incest handled in such a poignant and heartwrenching way. It's a testament to Ms. Suzuma's skill that I found myself desperately wishing for Maya and Lochan to be together. Simply amazing.
Whitney Atkinson

I have NO idea who allowed this to get published in the YA genre. It's risky, disturbing, and altogether, a masterpiece. It's not inappropriate just to be obscene; there's a moral behind it. It's so hard to describe. Lochan and Maya are self-aware, trapped in this miserable lifestyle that is so impossible yet I found myself absurdly empathizing with them. A book that tugs on the heart strings, and definitely veered in a direction I wasn't expecting.
The reason I took off half a star is b
Debra

"How can something so wrong feel so right?"

AMAZING.

HEARTBREAKING.

BEAUTIFUL.

POWERFUL.

AND SAD. SO, SO SAD...

Forbidden was not an easy story to read.

In fact, reading it was a real struggle at times.

It made my heart ache and my eyes hurt with unshed tears. Until the very end, when the tears eventually did flow freely.

But in the end, it was all worth it, because Forbidden was such a thoughtprovoking, powerful and emotional story and despite all the anguish and heartbreak in it, it's easily one

Christy

photo Forbidden-bover_zps1727b0b1.jpg

My second time reading this one was no easier than the first, in fact... it may have been more difficult. I would like to say I would never read this again, its too hard, but I know I will. One of my favorite books ever, it’s not an easy read, and it’s not for everyone, but I still stand by this: The most beautiful book I have ever read. LOVE IT! Lochie and Maya are unforgettable characters. This is an incredible and unforgettable story.

photo Forbidden-nooneudnerstansd_zpsb3d91a4a.jpg

My original review posted 12.5.12:

You can close your eye
Lainey
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am legitimately sobbing right now. Silent tears.
I just need a couple days to collect my thoughts for review.
This is honestly a book that will stick with me for the rest of my life.
Nomes
Jan 18, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of daytime "soapies" and melodrama, curious peeps
I am out on my own little limb here in saying I did not care for this book *waves to all my goodreads buds who love it to the max*

It is not the subject matter that irked me but rather the heavy-handed and melodramatic way in which it was handled.

This book, IMO, is the equivalent to a daytime drama* ~ complete with sappy character names (Lochan, Maya, Kit, Tiffin and Willa are the children), over-wrought "true love" sentiments, parental issues of alcoholism, abandonment and abuse, and an oh-my-g
Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
Ένα βιβλίο που σου προκαλεί ποικίλα και μπερδεμένα συναισθήματα.Η συγκίνηση, η κατάπληξη, η οργή, ο θυμός, η θλίψη,η συμπόνοια,ο θαυμασμός,έρχονται σε αντιδιαστολή με την τρυφερή αγαπη,την ανιδιοτέλεια,την αξιοπρέπεια,την αξιοθαύμαστη πίστη και αφοσίωση,την αυταπάρνηση, τη θυσία.....

"Ίσως να"μην μπορείς να κλείσεις την καρδιά σου σε πράγματα που δεν θέλεις αισθανθείς".

Ίσως όσο κι αν προσπαθείς να αποφύγεις την ολοκληρωτική καταστροφή,τον αφανισμό, το έγκλημα που ερχεται καταπάνω σου με καταστροφ
Juliana Zapata
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Estoy en shock, estoy impresionada, estoy emocionada, estoy destrozada, tengo todos los sentimientos a flor de piel.

Una historia trágica, triste, desgarradora, increíble. Un libro que se debe leer con la mente muy abierta

Reseña Completa: http://bastvilard.blogspot.com/2015/0...
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*

At what point do you give up - decide enough is enough? There is only one answer really. Never

This is a story about Forbidden love...

When I say this is about Forbidden love I mean it. I am kinda tired of reading about contemporary "forbidden" stories as I always find a way for the characters to be together, I never feel their love is really that forbidden but this book tells us a story about something really forbidden by the society, by the world we live in... I think this is the book I've bee
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
Monday buddy reading with Rosa,Melissa and Meli :D

description

This book broke my heart into pieces and I am still trying to recover from this emotionally intense and chocking reading!!!
I struggle for words to describe a book that put me the dilemma of fobidden love between two sibblings....This is one very special book.
It is not a book that will give you the happy ending!

You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.
Anon

Fo
karen
three stars is indicative of my personal enjoyment of the book, but that does not change the fact that this author has done something extraordinary, and this book should probably be read by most people. let's call this 3 3/4 stars for fun.

why did i read this?? duh, obviously, i wanted to see what kind of writing chops this lady had to think she could write a Y/A book about brother-sister incest. how do you market the taboo to the teen set? this is the same impulse that made me read living dead g
Ninoska Goris
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leido-2017, epublibre
Español - English

Si obviamos el tema del incesto y de lo prohibido, esta hubiera sido una hermosa historia de amor.

Pero no lo es.

Es una historia devastadora cuando dos hermanos se enamoran perdidamente uno del otro.

Estoy totalmente convencida de que esa situación se dió simplemente por las complicaciones familiares en que viven. El padre abandonó a su familia. La madre no se ocupa de sus hijos por estar pretendiendo que no tiene responsabilidades y estar bebiendo todos los días.

Los hermanos may
Abbi Glines
I don't know how to rate this book so therefore I'm not going to. I can say that it is very well written. The author is incredibly talented. To draw such emotion through an extremely taboo topic takes pure talent. I couldn't do it because I'm just not that good. The children in this story have such a sad but unfortunately real situation. The fact the two eldest of the five kids fall in love does bother me. I couldn't accept it. BUT that doesn't mean it wasn't a heart wrenching story. If you like ...more
Aya Hamza
“How can something so wrong feel so right?”

Don’t bring children to the world if you don’t want them, or won't take good care of them!
* For both mothers and fathers.

3.5 stars because I predicted things that would happen along the last 20% of the book.
Buddy read with my fav, Amira! (Click if you want to check out her review).

TRIGGER-WARNING: Abuse (emotional) and incest.

This book has an interesting and heart-breaking topic to discuss "Love between siblings, especially between a brother and
Thomas
Love is right, incest is wrong. But can the two exist within the same relationship?

I love books that make me think, and I love books that make me feel. Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma made me do both. It's an incredibly powerful story about Lochan and Maya, siblings born only thirteen months apart. Though they are only seventeen and sixteen respectively, they act as the adults of their household: taking care of three younger siblings, managing financial affairs, all on top of completing their school
Cory
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of VC Andrews and Emo Boys
Recommended to Cory by: Dinjolina
Shelves: galleygrab
EDIT: As of 5/16/2011, I have re-read this book and realized that my four star rating was because of the sex scenes. I still maintain the content of my review, but I do not think this book holds the same value as my other four star books. Anyway, thanks for reading. Also, my spoiler tag comes off because I doubt that I'm really spoiling anything you wouldn't have figured out from the blurb.

I really don't know how to feel about this book. In some ways it's better than Flowers in the Attic. In oth
V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE ALERT:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT borderline erotica but Goodreads editors won't tell you
Intense, dramatic, heart breaking well written and 100% "morally complicated YA" Above all this is a book about LOVE. And love is always a good reason to read a book.

I'm all for books that are different and play with dark themes. However this is not an easy read. It's heartbreaking at times and the themes can throw off plenty of readers. But if you like me, have preference for books in which love is challenged, where the characters have to fight for their love, you have to read this.

This book i
Around the Year i...: Forbidden, by Tabitha Suzuma 1 7 Nov 13, 2017 03:15PM
Crazy for Young A...: [HELP] Pronunciation 2 12 Nov 09, 2017 04:52AM
Forbidden - Additional "Chapters" 1 10 Oct 12, 2017 12:14PM
who cried? 113 588 Sep 13, 2017 09:42AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma - Restarting October 2nd 2016 38 150 Oct 04, 2016 09:36AM
Forbidden (Love Scene) 19 764 Aug 13, 2016 10:26AM
Do you think they'll make a movie for this book? 40 650 Aug 02, 2016 07:26AM
  • Flawed
  • Drowning Instinct
  • Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror, #3)
  • The Storyteller
  • The Tied Man (The Tied Man, #1)
  • Insanity (Asylum, #1)
  • Hushed
  • But I Love Him
  • Fury
  • Protection
  • Dusty (Dusty, #1)
  • You Against Me
  • Love's Forbidden Flower (Forbidden Flower, #1)
  • Stay
  • Sign Language
  • Finding Home
  • Brother/Sister
  • Ballads of Suburbia
Add me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tabitha.suzuma
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TabithaSuzuma

Tabitha Suzuma was born in London, the eldest of five children. She attended a French school in the UK and grew up bilingual. However, she hated school and would sit at the back of the class and write stories, which she got away with because her teachers thought she was taking notes. Ag
More about Tabitha Suzuma...
“You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.” 1275 likes
“I mean, at the end of the day, what the hell does it matter who I end up with if it can't be you?” 983 likes