Start by marking “Ärztin In Rot Roman” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Ärztin In Rot Roman

Cathy Marie Hake

Ärztin In Rot Roman (Only in Gooding #4)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  2,582 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Gooding, Texas, is about to gain a double blessing--a veterinarian and a doctor. But when siblings Enoch and Taylor Bestman arrive, the discovery that Taylor is a lady doctor has the town up in arms. Especially Karl Van der Vort, the town blacksmith, who becomes the first patient...against his will. Though hesitant to believe in Taylor's doctoring skills, Karl finds himsel ...more
Published 2011 by Francke (first published August 1st 2009)

Sara ♥
This book... When I got to the end, my reaction should have been, "Awww! Yay!! They got together!" like it usually is with these types of books, but I'm afraid to say that at the end of this book, I went, "YAY!!! IT'S OVER!!!" That's bad.

Why did I feel that way? Well, first, I read this after re-reading A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer, which was AMAZING. At the end of that book (which was the author's first), there was a page in the back that said something like, "Did you like this book?
Lori
Dec 03, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian fiction fans, historical romance fans
Siblings Enoch and Taylor Bestman have just arrived in Gooding, Texas. Enoch is the new veterinarian, and Taylor is the new, long-awaited doctor. When the townsfolk find out that their new doctor is a woman, they’re ready to run her right back out of town ~ especially the men! Unfortunately, Taylor has to deal with one such man as her very first patient, Karl Van der Vort, not long after arriving in town. The women, and children, are fairly quick to accept Taylor’s medical expertise, while the m ...more
Michelle
Feb 18, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even finish it. The characters had way too much conversation that was hard to follow (whether a result of poor writing/editing, or too much attempted wittiness), I kept having to re-read the page to see what I had missed, only to discover that I hadn't missed anything. The conversations also seemed stilted and unnatural.

Luckily, I had checked out 2 books by this author, so I gave the other one a try before giving up on her completely, and was pleasantly surprised by the other one. I may
Beth
That Certain Spark by Cathie Marie Hake had many endearing qualities, but overall, it just did not capture my interest like I expected. I love the premise of the story of Taylor trying to secure her place in the town of Gooding, Texas as the new (female) doctor, in a time when it was hard for women to have credibility it that field. Taylor is a strong character that really stood up for what she believes in.

I really enjoyed the relationship between Taylor and her twin brother, Enoch, also the tow
Jeanette Blackson
Cathy Marie Hake has done it again...produced another amazing Historical Romance novel. I have read Hake's 5 previous books in this collection and enjoyed each one (Letter Perfect, Bittersweet, Fancy Pants, Forevermore, and Whirlwind). In That Certain Spark we find ourselves back in good old Gooding, Texas, but this time from the perspective of Taylor Bestman.
The residents of Gooding, Texas are up in arms when they discover that their new town doctor is a woman. Dr. Taylor Bestman gives up her s
Trudy
Jul 31, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from Goodreads, and in all honesty, I don't know that I would have picked it up otherwise.

On one hand, I primarily liked the main character, Taylor, and how she was an independant woman in a time where that was unheard of. I liked the witty dialogue and how Taylor bantered with her brother and how her relationship with Karl develops.

On the other hand, I wasn't sure what the book was trying to be - a love story or a mystery... Regardless, I found each story line kind of lacking s
Rebornbutterfly
Feb 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
My Review

The Town of Gooding, Texas just got their very own Veterinarian & Doctor siblings Enoch & Taylor Bestman. The only problem? Dr. Taylor Bestman in a woman! Within two minutes of stepping foot in town Taylor already has the town in an uproar! How is she to prove herself to these people? Especially to her very first patient, the town blacksmith?

The book starts out promising, flows nicely at first, but as it proceeds the conversations get harder and harder to follow, and the writing
Loraine
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked That Certain Spark. The characters in this story were wonderful and the relationships were well developed. The sibling relationships between Taylor and Enoch and Karl and Piet were right on with loving teasing, sibling support and encouragement to develop in their relationships with God. The romantic relationships between Enoch and Mercy and Taylor and Karl showed the whimsy, struggle, support and developing feelings that normally develop as romantic love grows. The depiction betw ...more
Jenni
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Cathy Hake's books, and this one did not disappoint.

Her females are strong and witty, and I could only hope I would be the same in this situation.

The Bestmans decide to move to Texas, to become the town Doctor and Vet. However the town is outraged to find the doctor is not the vet's brother, but indeed his sister. The town is upset and refuse a woman doctor.

Things go awry not only for the doctor, but for the vet as well as he has fallen in love with a young widow, with her own pr
Anne Osterlund
Twins, Taylor and Enoch, are headed to Texas. He's a vet. She's a doctor. But the town of Gooding missed the message that Taylor was a she, and now she has to win over 80% of the populace in a matter of months.

A feat that might even be possible if Taylor was the type to schmooze or hold those in her debt accountable or even to declare her own achievements publically.

But she isn't. She's totally committed to her oath. To place the needs of her patients above anything else.

Especially her own safet
Leaffrog03
I read this book because I liked the cover. I had never read anything by this author before and it was a pretty quick read. Taylor and Enoch are twins and they come to the town of Gooding, Texas to be the new doctor and veterinarian. The town is shocked to discover that Taylor, the new doctor, is a woman, and many refuse to see her because of it. Her first patient is Karl, the town blacksmith, who also is against being seen by a woman doctor. However, he can't deny her skill in healing him and s ...more
Jessica Johnson
It's hard to rate a book I didn't finish, but I figure that's enough of a reason for a two-star rating, which, according to Goodreads means, "It was ok." It wasn't bad, just ok, and that's not enough of a motivation to finish the book. I only read if I am totally engrossed in the story. It has to capture my attention from page one or I move on to the next. That is what happened with this book. There were too many non-essential characters in the beginning...I just couldn't keep them straight and ...more
Mary
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story of a twin brother and sister, he is a vet and she is a physician. Moving together to a small town, the residents do not want a lady doctor! So in the middle of this dilemma, he falls in love with a sweet widow, and a hard-nosed welder/smithy falls in love with the doctor...after he realizes how the Lord must have called her to do this work and save people's lives. Several people rededicate their lives to Christ during the fights and betrayals that take place and God moves in th ...more
Sherry
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute, clean book. You might want to read it for the good, uplifting, light read that it is. It had good Christian messages and discussions throughout. There were some tender scenes; I even cried once. I just found it a bit too formulaic and predictable, not to mention somewhat unrealistic in some of the details. It never fully caught my attention.
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I got about 129 pages in and just couldn't finish. I was surprised the author had written so many books, this one just seemed almost amateur. The dialog was unbelievable, the point of view kept jumping around and I just couldn’t get into the story. Maybe it got better later on, but I just didn’t care enough to finish.
Sherri
AT certain points I was lost in this book between who was speaking. You know like when you're thinking something in your head and then you say something that no one understands because you haven't had the conversation out loud. I did like how she develops or the relationship between her brother and wife played out. Some plots I don't think were developed as they could be.
Sandra
Oct 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book is a lovely story of a female doctor who comes to a Texas town and has to overcome the stereotype of a woman belonging in the home. Romance sparks when the local blacksmith is forced to seek her help. Women readers with a penchant for romance and historical fiction will enjoy this book.
Mandie Dillard
Usually I love CMH books but I did not enjoy this book. It was very choppy and moved from one scene to the next without telling you what was happening. It was very confusing. I eventually stopped reading and just read the last chapter. :(
Juliekjewell
Oct 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides a great insight to the plight of women doctors in the 1800's. It's a Christian romance set in a small Texan town with long time citizens, Dutch immigrants and twins who are contracted by the town to be the doctor and the vet. Entertaining through and through.
Grace
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was very choppy, I'd lose track going from one paragraph to another as if there was missing information.
TJ
The evangelical message in this book literally hammered you over the head on almost every page but the story of a 19th century female doctor and the prejudices she had to overcome was sweet.
Brooke Baker
I read this for an assignment on Christian fiction, which is not my preferred genre. I've read one other Cathy Hake novel and this title definitely had a much stronger Christian element to it than the last one (Fancy Pants). It's not something I personally enjoy, but Hake write well-crafted characters and interesting plot lines, so I'd definitely recommend this to someone who enjoys Christian fiction that falls on the preachy side.
Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)
**This review features on my blog, Choice Reads as well, drop by :)

Goodreads Summary

Though hesitant to believe in Taylor's doctoring skills, Karl finds himself oddly protective of this surprising wom
Carrie Daws
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story, intelligent banter that had me giggling, a touch of suspense, and a woman determined to use the talent God gave her in spite of other's opinions. That Certain Spark by Cathy Marie Hake has quite a lot to offer for readers who love historical fiction or romantic comedies.

"Heard a bunch of knotheads traded lead at the Nugget," Velma said as she entered the house. "Reckon we're gonna have to patch you boys up outta the goodness of our hearts because you're just too plain stupid to sta
Victor Gentile
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of interviewing Cathy Marie Hake, on our radio show "Kingdom Highlights", for her new book, "That Certain Spark", Book Four in The Only In Gooding series published by Bethany House. I wish there was a town called Gooding so that I could move there and meet and live with the amazing residents of that town, that's how good a story teller Cathy Marie Hake is.

This time Ms. Hake returns us to Gooding when siblings Enoch and Taylor Bestman arrive to take up their positions as Veter
shay
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to give the author another chance after reading another book by her, but I just spent most of the book frustrated and annoyed with the characters.

I don't understand how an intelligent woman can accept the brutish and utterly domineering attitude of the main man (they weren't even courting or married, and he didn't even care for her yet but he's telling what, how, and when she can do things!). He does a 180' near the end of the book (of course), but really, a person doesn't change their
Rachel M.
*Note: This book should have a 2.5 star rating!!!

Cathy Marie Hake, you disappoint me once again...This book is a flop. Simply put, it's not up to par with her first three books, Letter Perfect, Bittersweet, and Fancy Pants. It's more like Forevermore and Whirlwind, which I did not like. Hake has gotten into the habit of writing mediocre novels because she is not taking the time to develop her characters and plots. It's like she's just writing to fill up space; there's no flavor, or in this case
 Mummy Cat Claire
Dec 08, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals
I wanted to like this book. With the title, book cover and summary, I thought this book would be great. The first one hundred pages were okay. The story was slow to develop but I felt it would pick up. 200 pages in, I found the story had not picked up and was still dragging.
From the very beginning the town that Taylor Bestman moved to was against her for being a woman. Almost every line said from any character was about her being a woman doctor. It certainly grew old. Even the two main characte
Linnette
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anything read on the heels of Whirlwind is bound to fall short. I did enjoy this story tremendously. I loved the characters and the storyline and much more.

I did have difficulty reading it, however. I fear there was too much dependency on dialogue in the book and not enough on description. Many times I found that I was lost as to what was going on. I had difficulty picturing the scenes in my head on many occasions. Normally, I see the story unfolding like a movie in my head, but this one was ve
Valerie
It was a nice story, overall, I guess, and I must say that Taylor Bestman is a character that was written excellently. But the men Enoch and Karl were overbearing, to say the least, Enoch being the worst. I found it strange that Enoch was with Taylor throughout the beginning of the book when it came to gaining a reputation in Gooding as a doctor but once he found "true love", he sorta flopped. I was disgusted with the way he courted Mercy and it seemed to me that their marriage had nothing to st ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #45 That Certain Spark by Cathy Marie Hake 1 2 Mar 01, 2015 01:54PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 21, 2014 09:52AM
  • Wrangler in Petticoats (Sophie's Daughters, #2)
  • The Bride Backfire (Prairie Promises, #2)
  • Beyond This Moment (Timber Ridge Reflections, #2)
  • A Tailor-Made Bride
  • A Love to Last Forever (The Brides of Gallatin County, #2)
  • Tomorrow's Garden (Texas Dreams, #3)
  • Love on the Line
As a child, Cathy Marie Hake had an imaginary playmate. Now "grown up," she indulges in a host of imaginary friends as she writes. She teasingly says she decided if those voices in her head were talking, she might as well write down what they said and make a living by doing it. She met her sweetheart in the High School department at church and married him after finishing nursing school. They live ...more
More about Cathy Marie Hake...

Only in Gooding (5 books)
  • Fancy Pants (Only in Gooding, #1)
  • Forevermore (Only in Gooding, #2)
  • Whirlwind (Only in Gooding, #3)
  • Serendipity (Only in Gooding, #5)

“Sharing the joys like Rose’s birth the other day—that was good; but I am here for you in times of fear and sorrow, too. Come to me.” He reached over and took her hands, pulling her closer. “Come to me, good or bad, right or wrong, day or night. Promise me.” 1 likes
“I’m going to have to watch every word I say around you.” “Impossible. You talk far too much to succeed at that.” “I’m not going to worry about you any longer, Karl Van der Vort. You’re feeling well enough to be ornery. It just serves to prove what a fine physician I am—even if I wear red shirtwaists.” 1 likes