Start by marking “Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1)” as Want to Read:
Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1)

Playing for Keeps

(Neighbor from Hell #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  100,696 ratings  ·  5,333 reviews
Alternate-cover editions for ASIN B004YQBXIE are located here, here, and here

Done with being the world's biggest pushover, Haley decides that things are going to change starting with the aggravating neighbor who has too much charm and not enough restraint. What she didn't expect was to sucked into his world, but Haley has a game plan and she won't let herself forget just
Published April 29th 2011 by Rerum Publishing House

To ask other readers questions about Playing for Keeps, please sign up.
Rachel I was wondering the same thing! I hope so, but I haven't seen anything....
Jen Lynn Ma gawd yes. Psh. If you're mature enough to look at the book and probably already know the book's context is mature adult; than I would say the heck…moreMa gawd yes. Psh. If you're mature enough to look at the book and probably already know the book's context is mature adult; than I would say the heck at it. It's just a book. I read stuff like this in the 8th grade as well. It all depends on you're maturity level. But really it's all up to you. No one's gonna get on you're back if you want to read a book. Just read a few chapters and if it's for you than go ahead and read it. If it's not than choose something else. Helpful hint; Try typing in Mature YA novels on Goodreads or Google and there's a whole list for more of young adult age groups who don't mind explicit scenes and other mature topics. I know where you're coming from. I feel like I've already read a lot of the YA novels such as sunshine state and they just bore me to death. I mean it's just books and sometimes we can learn a lot from reading mature books. There's more lessons to gather and experiences that might help us when we grow up more. In my opinion. But if you're old enough to look book like these up and find them interesting than certainly your old enough to read the book. I can handle some non-mature books though as well. Such as Hush, Hush series and the Obsidian series, ect. They both have a good love-hate relationship with angels and than Aliens.(Sounds horny but they're good reads.) You've probably already read it though. C.C Enjoy reading... it's all about what you enjoy. And if you enjoy this stuff(Like me) than I say go for it! (Little late for answering this but yah know.) C=(less)

·  100,696 ratings  ·  5,333 reviews

Start your review of Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1)
♡Karlyn P♡
O.M.G.! What a funny and sexy contemporary romance! It was over-the-top silly, but it made me laugh so many times! And best yet, the steamy parts were HOT.

Jason is Haley’s next door neighbor from HELL, but in truth he really is a fun and misunderstood kind of guy. Sure, the neighborhood started a few many petitions trying to get him to stop doing this or that, but he means well. And his shy little neighbor has never once complained. However, Jason is pretty clueless when it comes to things
Ann has a dirty mouth
Sometimes when I read other people's reviews, I think "Did we read the same book?"

Anyways, the good- this book is very well written, esp by the standards of self pubs. It flows well and is very engaging. I had fun while I was reading it and kept turning the pages. It really lost me in the last third though.

The bad- this book is about two idiot adult children who take immaturity to a new level. Hayley starts dating her neighbor Jason when they are trapped inside her house by a swarm of killer
Mimi Smith
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

It's been a long time since I've loved a book this much, so I'm spreading the word!

You know how they say "Don't judge a book by its cover"? Well, let's be honest:We all do. A pretty cover will get me to buy a book faster than a tempting blurb. I know, I know-it could be just me and my shallowness or I'm a plain old book cover snob, but it's a fact of life. Now, if this book wasn't recommended to me I never would've picked it up. So, to all my GR friends who share my book cover
Jill Paige
Jul 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, I only got to page 39 of this book before I gave up on it.

The blurb implies it's a enemies-to-lovers trope, but the hero and heroine are only enemies for (literally) the first pages of the book. Very soon they're instant best friends--which we are TOLD, not shown--so the book is really a friends-to-lovers trope.

The friends-to-lovers trope wouldn't have put me off, but adding to the book's woes, it was poorly edited. (I have since read that the author is having her books edited
xrysa
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary

Caution:You will laugh out loud!

I mean it!

I hate reading funny books but this one was a random pick which turned out to be sooo good!

Enter,Jason

He is 31 and definitely the biggest jackass on earth,or at least he seems to be.He is every householders' nightmare.We can see what a prick he is from Haley's eyes.

How would you feel if your idiot neighbor destroyed your bed flower?

I dont know about you but I would have KILLED HIM!

Well in our story his action brings them closer which is good since
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
This book was amazing and after a lot of after-thought I finally decided to go for a 5 star as the rating ;)

'Playing for keeps' is a novel that provides a perfect example of how important it is to NEVER judge a book by its cover..and I'm glad I chose not to with this one.The stellar reviews this book received from book besties,left me curious enough to pick this one out.So an applause for their fabulous review :D And now I'm just another reviewer hoping that I recommend this book good
Beverly
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beverly by: Jennifer Kyle
5 LMAO Stars

This is such a fun read! I told my friend I needed something light and she recommended this one, and it is perfect.

The story is about two neighbors who through little misunderstandings and some bad actions despise each other.

Of course, once they are forced together one day and able to communicate things are cleared up. They immediately see they are perfect for each other and become best friends.

Naturally their attraction for each other gets in the way and things escalate.

I liked
Beverly
Jan 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

photo FreeTuXBbysb_zps5b0c2c6e.gif

FREE on Amazon US today (6/4/2015)

Stand-alone book 1.

BLURB:
Done with being the world's biggest pushover, Haley decides that things are going to change starting with the aggravating neighbor who has too much charm and not enough restraint. What she didn't expect was to be sucked into his world, but Haley has a game plan and she won't let herself forget just what the bad boy next door is capable of.

The last thing Jason expected was for his little shy neighbor to go Rambo on him over some ruined
Stacia (the 2010 club)
3.5 stars. Rounding up because Jason is such a rock star.
She quietly said good night, rolled her eyes as Jason mumbled, "I love you" to his brownies, and headed off to the bathroom.

I picked up Playing for Keeps because it was getting some attention and I was curious to see why a seemingly unnoticeable book (have you seen the cover?) was starting to cause a stir.

What I was expecting : Neighbors who don't get along spend half of a book torturing the living daylights out of each other before
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

4 ‘I giggled, I snickered, and fanned myself' stars!!!

Playing for Keeps is the first book in R.L. Mathewson’s Neighbor from Hell series and one hell of a funny story.

Description…

Wendy
I haven't read a book this funny in a while. It got to a point, where I'd just burst out laughing. Which led to strange looks from my family...priceless.

Jason and Haley make an adorable couple and the bantering between these two are hilarious. Not to mention the secondary characters being Jason's friends are an added bonus.

This is a real feel good, pick me up type of book, that'll have you laughing in no time. Loved it!
Susanne
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gah! This book was so freaking amazing and then it had to fall into the CR-trap. Yes, I made it up right now. Beware, the second part of this review will contain mild spoilers. I will let you know when.

The first part. So incredibly funny! I laughed so much on the train that the people around me thought I was crazy. It was brilliant!

Haley. Sweet bookish heroine who is done with being a pushover.

She was always the shy girl with her nose buried in a book, hoping no one would notice her.

Who knew
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ 15%

I wanted to like this book. A lot of my friends rated PLAYING FOR KEEPS very highly. Now, I'm questioning that, as I couldn't find anything that really called to me about this book. Haley and Jason are both incredibly immature. The book starts out as an enemies-to-lovers romance but they get over being enemies really quickly and then it becomes a friends-to-lovers romance instead. I felt like their reactions made them feel like
Belle Aurora
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely hilarious!
I was laughing the whole time...when I wasn't crying that is.
Loved it.
Get on it.
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who wants a good laugh
LOVED. THIS. BOOK.
So cute and funny and sappy!

You cookie thieving bastard
Jason and his father were suchhhhhh food sluts!
Emily
Always a glutton for punishment, Haley Blaine believes she can tolerate anything her jerk of a neighbor can dish out. After five years of his antics, she has had enough and flips out on him and has no plans in holding back her unleashed fury, well that is until she finds out the real reason he was tearing up her garden.

Jason Bradford loves women, just doesn't love them enough to start a relationship with him. After five years of getting the cold shoulder from his neighbor, he is delightfully
Liz
“If she tried to leave without him he would burn her house down, plain and simple.”

description

Playing for Keeps is a light hearted modern romance with an abundance of satire and a great deal of tongue and cheek humor.

For the past five years, Haley has been living next door to “the neighbor from Hell”. Haley is a "rule follower” with an abundance of “polish" and sophistication. Jason is a sporadic “free spirit”. Needless to say, the two are quite opposite.

Haley and Jason don’t get along. Haley has worked
Nashoda Rose
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yay...found a new author to stalk;) Loved this book!
⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰
Re-read 14/5/2019 - Audio

4.5 Stars

After having just finished a heartbreaking read I was searching for something light and fun to read. This hit the spot perfectly! The audio was great, Fran Jewels did so well with the narration.

*********************************

Original review

4 Stars

This was a nice soft rom-com that was fun to read. I love the little grasshopper and the jibs between the leads. It was funny but not nearly as funny as some but in saying that I still enjoyed it.
peachygirl
I lost count of the times I laughed like crazy over Jason's 'I'm a growing boy' quips and his obsession with anything edible, swooned at his adorableness and his obvious love for his little grasshopper, even though Haley never returned the favor and called him Miyagi!
Such a feel good romcom, sure to make anyone smile.
Aestas Book Blog
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book a lot. It was the PERFECT fluff read for me. It was well written, with characters I really cared about, lots of adorably cute and funny moments, no heart-breaking moments, no damaged or tortured characters, didn't make me cry at any point, really really adorable HEAs, and not super long reads. I read this book and its sequel in 4 hours. It was the perfect way to spend a sunny afternoon.

I love the way their relationship developed. It was perfectly paced. Fast enough that
❤️ Paulette  Alphas Review

I enjoyed this very sexy, romantic comedy.

I think I laugh so hard in some part of this book that I was crying. This was the most playful, flirty, sweet story ever. I just loved Jason and Haley's interaction with each other. That's my kind of romance. Jason is one of those guys that you just can't stay mad at no matter how bad you want to. Omg His obsession with food and cookies of any kind is hilarious!... He had me at "My Brownies!!"
I like this author and will read the rest of this series.

Steven Walle
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. I will give a full review later.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Dilek VT
Feb 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: boring
I am sorry but this book was beyond boring... Maybe, I shouldn't have rated it because I dropped it at page 100. Looked at the last 2 or 3 pages and I didn't have the strength to read the epilogue...

The story was meant to be humorous, I never - even once- smiled, let alone laugh...

By the way, how can a coward and introvert woman change in the blink of an eye and become this confident and fun girl?

How can a 30 year-old guy act so childishly? Not cute, no not cute, very annoying... There was
Karla
The ideal blend of romance, humor, angst, and spice! I loved everything about this book. Jason and Haley’s first interaction, their friendship that becomes more, the falling out, the reconciling, and lordy lordy their time between the sheets was steamy and sensual. The writing is wonderful, plenty of witty dialogue, and it included a delightful array of amusing secondary characters.

It’s the perfect length; it was enough story that you’re committed to the characters, yet the plot is not
Jo ★The Book Sloth★

I was very surprised when I realized how funny this book was. I had a huge smile on my face most of the time and I can't count the times I laughed out loud. It's not something that happens a lot with contemporary romance since the dark and angsty are in fashion so I'm very happy for this.

The characters and the writing reminded me very much of one of my favorite authors Shelly Laurenston. At some point I was beginning to think that they are the same person. I visited the authors page and I wasn't
Amy | Foxy Blogs
***3.75 Neighborly stars***

A NEIGHBOR FROM HELL is what Jason is when he moves in next door to Haley.
"My name is Jason Bradford. I'm the neighbor from hell."

You won't find Mister Rogers neighborhood love between these two feuding neighbors. Until one day a bunch of Tulips change their relationship.

Enemies - Friends - Lovers!

SERIES:
Playing for Keeps (A Neighbor from Hell, #1) by R.L. Mathewson Perfection (A Neighbor from Hell, #2) by R.L. Mathewson Checkmate (A Neighbor from Hell, #3) by R.L. Mathewson Truce The Historic Neighbor from Hell (A Neighbor from Hell, #4) by R.L. Mathewson
No cliffhangers. Spinoffs
Syndi
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first read by Miss Mathewson. I listen to the audiobook because in Goodreads the review is awsome. Many said funny as hell. Wanting something fun for my Sunday read, i started listening to it.

It is funny. Very funny that i cracked a laugh while listening to it. But then, there are a lot of things i do not understand.

1. The age of the character. Early 30's. Both are teacher. But their communication and their banter is more suitable for 18 years old.

2. The push and pull between the
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Re-read: 21.09.2018
I skimmed. I'm sorry, I did. I can't deny it. I wasn't really all that into it, and I realized that after the first sentence in the book. I couldn't remember the book from the first time reading it so I thought 'oh, I might like this one again'. But yeah, I skimmed, a lot. Don't get me wrong, the book is incredibly cute and the banter and friendship between Haley Blaine (29) and her neighbor of five years (and they work at the same private high school), Jason Bradford (31)

• Wallbanger (Cocktail, #1)
  • Tangled (Tangled, #1)
  • The Deal (Off-Campus, #1)
  • Beautiful Bastard (Beautiful Bastard, #1)
  • Bully (Fall Away, #1)
  • Seduction and Snacks (Chocolate Lovers, #1)
  • Friend-Zoned (Friend-Zoned, #1)
  • On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street, #1)
  • Fallen Too Far (Rosemary Beach, #1; Too Far, #1)
  • The Marriage Bargain (Marriage to a Billionaire, #1)
  • Until November (Until, #1)
  • The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
  • Wait for You (Wait for You, #1)
  • Kulti
  • Rule (Marked Men, #1)
  • Real (Real, #1)
  • Just the Sexiest Man Alive
  • Reasonable Doubt: Volume 1 (Reasonable Doubt, #1)
Hello, my name is R.L. Mathewson :)

Before I tried my hand at writing I was a receptionist, cafeteria worker at the college I attended, museum worker, bellhop, and about a dozen other different things that are pretty embarrassing so we're just going to skip over those things and pretend that they never happened ;D

At some point I got a little direction in my life and tried my hand at emergency

Neighbor from Hell (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Perfection (Neighbor from Hell, #2)
  • Checkmate (Neighbor from Hell, #3)
  • Truce (Neighbor from Hell, #4)
  • The Game Plan (Neighbor from Hell, #5)
  • Double Dare (Neighbor from Hell, #6)
  • Christmas from Hell (Neighbor from Hell, #7)
  • Fire & Brimstone (Neighbor from Hell, #8)
  • Delectable (Neighbor from Hell, #9)
  • The Promise (Neighbor from Hell, #10)
  • Irresistible (Neighbor from Hell, #11)
“How dare you touch my cookies, you bastard!” Jason said in utter disgust before popping the cookie into his mouth and heading back to his house.
“Damn those looked good, too,” Brad grumbled.
Haley sighed. “Don’t worry I have a second plate on my counter.” The words were barely out of her mouth when Jason abruptly changed course and headed towards her house.
“Well, there was,” she said, watching Jason walk into her house like he owned it. A minute later he walked out of her house, carrying both plates and the gallon of milk she had in her fridge. He headed back to his house, but not before he glared at Brad. “You cookie thieving bastard,” they heard him mutter.
Brad rolled his eyes, chuckling. “And people wonder how I lost weight rooming with him in college.”
446 likes
“He glared accusingly at her while he made short work of his clothes. "You didn't wake me up."
She rolled her eyes as she speared a piece of sausage with her fork. "I did wake you up. Three times in fact. Each time you threw something at me and went back to sleep."
Jason gaped at her. "And you gave up? You know our routine, woman. You have to
keep at it until I'm forced to get off the bed to find something to throw at you.”
407 likes