Start by marking “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living” as Want to Read:
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living

The Art And Science Of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide To Making The Life-Saving Benefits Of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable And EnjoyableCarbohydrate restricted diets are commonly practiced but seldom taught. As a result, doctors, dietitians, nutritionists, and nurses may have strong opinions about low carbohydrate dieting, but in many if not most cases, the ...more
Published May 19th 2011 by Beyond Obesity LLC

Cherese Severson
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a medical provider I was really resistant to this type of diet. As a person who struggles with obesity and food addiction I decided to try this anyway. It has changed my life. I appreciate all of the references, I did look up the studies on my own. You can't argue with the science or the results.
Andy
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic, thorough, dense yet approachable overview to ketosis. It's written by doctors for doctors to tell their patients how to go very low carb, so it can be biomed oriented at times (as in naming many acronyms I haven't heard of), but the information is invaluable.

I have been "paleo" / low carb for five years, but never aimed to go into ketosis. I had many questions - how is athletic performance effected? What are the best fat sources for ketosis? Is all that animal fat *really* what I sh
Peter Jonsson
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
just found this book after trying a two week period on the keto diet. after reading half the book i realize that some of the suffering with regards to keto-adaptation does have natural causes and straightforward remedies. will try again when i get home from a current trip. this is really exciting the stuff which is happening in the body. also i love the tone and the language in the book. if you are trying keto right now make sure to read chapter 18...

***Now I've been on the diet for 3 months and
Brian
May 11, 2012 added it
The most complete, cogent, assessment of the medical literature regarding low-carbohydrate diets I have ever read. Drs. Phinney and Volek are two of the world experts on the topic having done a vast majority of the research to date. The book not only explains the physiology and value of low carb diets, but also clearly shows the flaws in research that have led to the misconception that fat is bad for you and high carb diets are not.

I have known Dr. Phinney personally for many years and always t
Ci
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book turned my years' learning at HSPH upside-down, along with the cherished Food Pyramid. It is well-written in a semi-scholarly semi-self-help fashion but without the usual nauseating advocacy through anecdotes. The main points are made through peer-reviewed published research. I can't judge its scientific merits (not being an expert in this field) nor know how its principle would apply to my individual situation, but I applaud its clear and concise education on various metabolic issues. ...more
Heidi Garrett
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: keto-way-of-life
This is the third (and probably the last) book I will read on keto adaptation. When I learned that research is pointing to chronic high glucose as the source of things like dementia, alzheimers, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc. I became very interested in the ketogenic way of life, i.e., converting your brain from being a "sugar burner" to being a "fat burner." The authors of this book have done studies on the keto way of life and are very knowledgable about its implementation. The first pa ...more
Connie
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, low-carb-keto
Next to my Bible, the most important book I have. Refer back to it several times a week. If you're trying to be healthy, you MUST have this book!
Thalarctos
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book may literally save your life. It explains why low carb diets are good for general health, not just weight loss.
Robbie
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

I've chosen to give this book 5 solid stars because of the quality and amount of information presented. Fair warning, there is a lot of medical and scientific terms. It's easily decipherable with a basic understanding of medical terminology.

That said, I learned a lot more about biological markers and feel my understanding of nutritional ketosis has improved, even after countless hours of research I've done on my own.

I'd recommend this book to people who are interested in the scienc
Tom
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a bit of an eye opener for me. It makes a convincing case that the common recommendation for a low fat diet is not well supported by the science. This pretty much flips the traditional food pyramid on its head. For people, like me, who have developed an insulin resistance and type II diabetes, the low carbohydrate (higher fat) diet may be the better option.
Sher
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nutrition
This book was recommended to me by my internist, because she put me on a ketogenic diet for three months. Clearly written and a balanced amount of science and narrative. Explains how low carb high fat diets work, and why you don't need to be frightened of eating higher fat and along low carbs. It's also relevant in explaining what poor studies look like, so helps you get better at identifying bad science. Helpful. but even more helpful is the very up to date Diet Doctor. com, which is the intern ...more
Susan Hawthorne
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Terrific info that everyone should know! Simply adore this book. It explains all you need to know about low carb - do read it!!! Important info for your health!
Msjodi777
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, kindle
Can be a bit technical but has some really good information.
Kate Si
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent scientific explanation of exactly what's in the title. Thorough and clear with easily verifiable sources and facts.
Harold King
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very amazing and useful book! I do my weight-reduction diet based on this book, and it makes me extremely good results. The low-carb diet (the "keto") is incredible effective!
Madeline
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Laid out in its best, this book explains whether you are thin, fit, or fat, the science behind our metabolisms is critical to know. The in-depth knowledge and reasoning behind the low-carb lifestyle is timelessly printed here.

However, a problem I have noticed with the low carb diet is that it falls under the category of fad diets. It does not reverse years of unhealthy eating patterns and a life time dysfunction towards food. People do not want a bigger perspective, have underlying foor addictio
Penney
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
My bet is that sometime soon, low carb / high fat diets will be accepted as mainstream healthy eating advice and that this is not a 'fad'. This book was pretty scientifically dense at times and was also very focused on the low carb diet impact on pretty severe pathogenic states such as people with diabetes type-2 and metabolic syndrome so at times I had to ask myself - how is this relevant to me?

However, the upshot is that there are a lot of pre-markers to these states, which are health indicat
Nargiz
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have started Keto diet about 2 months ago. Since then I have listened to a number of podcasts, read articles, watched YouTube videos and visited Reddit Keto community every single day. While they have provided a great insight, I wanted more detailed science background and this book is perfect for that.

It is easy to read but contains all information you need to know on how your body works and the science behind the Ketogenic diet. I found there are popular opinions on the web regarding the die
Karen-Leigh
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: diet
Quite technical but readable. Added some information to my Atkins data collection and reinforced my resolve to diet. It also made me feel chuffed that I knew the news was skewed for the past 40 years by big business and mass media. Talk about fake news...no wonder people believe Trump when he yells 'fake news' because we have all learned that money manipulates the media and we do get fake news. I remember the beating Dr. Atkins took in the 70's and I remember everyone telling me I was a fool to ...more
Tamahome
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it

I would never go this extreme. But has some nice tidbits, like:

"...not as long as the gallbladder gets regular signals to contract, coming in the form of cholecystokinin released by the upper small bowel in response to dietary fat. However, if the dietary fat intake is low, (under 30 grams per day) during rapid weight loss, the gallbladder doesn't get the signal to empty itself, and this cholesterol can build up and increase the risk of gallstone formation."

And don't forget how dehydrating insuf
Royce
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This book lays out a sustainable plan of how to enjoy long term success on a low carb diet. They get into the emotional and religious connotations we associate with carbs and bread especially. They cite 140 studies to back up their claims and seem to do a fair job of pointing out possible flaws in the studies that deserve it, even if they agree with the authors point of view. This is a wonderful book, written as if it is talking to a fellow doctor, but very easy to follow for the uneducated fol
Kristi L Clephane`
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is geared toward doctors and health providers, but I found it extremely interesting, with tons of resources and cited papers leaning toward (obviously) low carb living, the history of low carb dieting, and studies that were well done or flawed in terms of efficacy of low carb living.
I personally cannot wait to do my own experiment in low carb, after reading this book.
Bob Collins
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Written more for Doctors and nurses than for patients, this goes a bit deep into the research around the physiology of low-carb diets. Pretty good, but pretty deep. There is research and science behind the low carb diet recommendations.
Kellyanne
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Very informative. Very technical, but for insulin resistance and carbohydrate intolerance information it was very helpful.
Karen
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-fitness
This was a very long, dense, and scientific read, geared towards medical doctors and nutritionists. Even though the book is now seven years old, its ideas are still as valid now as it was back in 2010. It's well-researched and well-informed. The authors have described nutrition physiology very well, referring constantly to peer-reviewed science. I hope the medical community keep opening their minds to these principles, as it's not helpful to us individuals trying to manage our health when govern ...more
Richard
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
If one we're to write a tl;dr for this book it would be that if you are insulin resistant you should not eat carbs. The main focus of the book is not how to follow a ketogenic diet but instead presents the evidence and scientific research that shows that a ketogenic diet, one that includes no more than 100 grams of carbs a day, often as little as 20 for some people, is not only safe but healthy.

The authors present what is known about how insulin resistance works, the physiological changes that o
Erika
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, nonfiction
This book is dense. Some parts were nothing new to me, just reiterating what I'd already learned from other low carb books or online reading, and some parts were way more detailed and technical than I would ever care to go, but there was a fair amount of good middle ground, where I learned something new and useful or found an explanation that really clarified something I'd before understood only incompletely, and for those bits it was definitely worth reading.

I wouldn't recommend this as a firs
Ange
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything one needs to know about low carb lifestyle

I read the Art of Science of low carb for performance before this one and i was really curious about what benefit would I get from it. This book presents all the nitty gritty details about why, how would one consider such a lifestyle. There are way more explanations than one could ask about the physiology behind low carbs, many testimonials and all practical information to apply it right away.
Probably the best I’ve ever read about that topic
Arturo Mijangos
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, health, low-carb
I really enjoyed reading this book. I believe I enjoyed it because I was looking for this type of information. I was able to understand insulin resistance and the different metabolic pathways. There were only a few sections that I only skimmed, and other readers might find parts like that.
I gave it four stars not for content, but there were at least four sections in the book where the authors go into defending their work and putting other research down. I was not reading the book to understand a
Manuel
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Goes both wide and deep into the Keto Diet’s effects on the body. Written from a scientific and physician-like perspective, but includes non-technical explanations as well. The overall tone is of debunking common misconceptions and pointing out hypocrisies of the standard American diet, but from a science-based approach.
Skipped the sections that don’t apply to me such as diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
Depending on your own research into keto you may already know a lot of what’s in this book or
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid It
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • Dangerous Grains: The Devastating Truth about Wheat and Gluten, and How to Restore Your Health
  • Sugar Nation: The Hidden Truth Behind America's Deadliest Habit and the Simple Way to Beat It
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond Paleo for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability
  • The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great
  • Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease
  • Death by Food Pyramid: How Shoddy Science, Sketchy Politics and Shady Special Interests Have Ruined Our Health
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
  • Keto-Adapted
  • Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival
  • Tripping Over the Truth: The Metabolic Theory of Cancer
  • Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet
  • The Primal Connection: Follow Your Genetic Blueprint to Health and Happiness
  • Sweet Potato Power: Smart Carbs:  Paleo and Personalized
“Feeling Faint Issue: I’m happy losing weight with a low carbohydrate diet, but I’m always tired, get light headed when I stand up, and if I exercise for more than 10 minutes I feel like I’m going to pass out. Response: Congratulations on your weight loss success, and with just a small adjustment to your diet, you can say goodbye to your weakness and fatigue. The solution is salt…a bit more salt to be specific. This may sound like we’re crazy when many experts argue that we should all eat less salt, however these are the same experts who tell us that eating lots of carbohydrates and sugar is OK. But what they don’t tell you is that your body functions very differently when you are keto-adapted. When you restrict carbs for a week or two, your kidneys switch from retaining salt to rapidly excreting it, along with a fair amount of stored water. This salt and water loss explains why many people experience rapid weight loss in the first couple of weeks on a low carbohydrate diet. Ridding your body of this excess salt and water is a good thing, but only up to a point. After that, if you don’t replace some of the ongoing sodium excretion, the associated water loss can compromise your circulation The end result is lightheadedness when you stand up quickly or fatigue if you exercise enough to get ‘warmed up’. Other common side effects of carbohydrate restriction that go away with a pinch of added salt include headache and constipation; and over the long term it also helps the body maintain its muscles. The best solution is to include 1 or 2 cups of bouillon or broth in your daily schedule. This adds only 1-2 grams of sodium to your daily intake, and your ketoadapted metabolism insures that you pass it right on through within a matter of hours (allaying any fears you might have of salt buildup in your system). This rapid clearance also means that on days that you exercise, take one dose of broth or bouillon within the hour before you start.” 3 likes
“So let’s consider an alternative diet, say 1200 kcal consisting of 30% protein, 15% carbs (i.e., 180 kcal or 45 grams), and 55% fat. After a week or two of getting adapted (during which you may experience some of the fuel limitation symptoms discussed above), your serum ketones rise up in the range (1-2 millimolar) where they meet at least half of the brain’s fuel supply. Now if you go for that 5 mile run, almost all of your body’s muscle fuel comes from fat, leaving your dietary carb intake plus gluconeogenesis from protein to meet the minor fraction of your brain’s energy need not provided from ketones. And, oh yes, after your run while on the low carb diet, your ketone levels actually go up a bit (not dangerously so), further improving fuel flow to your brain. So what does this mean for the rest of us who are not compulsive runners? Well, this illustrates that the keto-adapted state allows your body more flexibility in meeting its critical organ energy needs than a ‘balanced’ but energy-restricted diet. And in particular, this also means that your brain is a “carbohydrate dependent organ” (as claimed by the USDA Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee as noted in Chapter 3) ONLY when you are eating a high carbohydrate diet. When carbohydrate is restricted as in the example above, your body’s appropriate production of ketones frees the brain from this supposed state of ‘carbohydrate dependency’. And because exercise stimulates ketone production, your brain’s fuel supply is better supported during and after intense exercise when on a low carbohydrate diet than when your carbohydrate intake is high (see below).” 1 likes