Start by marking “The Tehran Initiative (The Twelfth Imam, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Tehran Initiative (The Twelfth Imam, #2)

The Tehran Initiative

(The Twelfth Imam #2)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  4,970 Ratings  ·  394 Reviews
Retailers Choice Award winner, 2012The world is on the brink of disaster and the clock is ticking. Iran has just conducted its first atomic weapons test. Millions of Muslims around the world are convinced their messiah--known as "the Twelfth Imam"--has just arrived on earth. Israeli leaders fear Tehran, under the Twelfth Imam's spell, will soon launch a nuclear attack that ...more
Published October 18th 2011 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Tehran Initiative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tehran Initiative

David
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Tehran Initiative works on a lot of different levels. It is a great spy thriller, depicting the world on the brink of nuclear war, against the background of current events in the middle east. It gives the reader a picture of the theology and politics that separate the Shia and Sunni segments of Islam. It gives a good picture of how Israel fits into the picture, it's government, it's religious roots and motivations.

As a Christian work, the author is faithful to Scripture without being overly
Daenel
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Do you like realistic Christian fiction? Then you will absolutely love this book. The action is fast paced, the drama is intense and the plot is believable (something I usually find lacking in Christian fiction). Set in the present, the book covers 6 days in the life of undercover agent David Shirazi as he tries to prevent the Middle East from becoming a powder keg.

Normally, I don’t read suspense/espionage books but I was immediately caught up in the story. Rosenberg creates a realistic scene wh
Bob Carroll
I thought I had picked up a thriller about stopping Iran from using nuclear weapons to annihilate Israel and the United States. What i got instead was Christian proselytizing and an overly simplistic and stereotypical view of Christianity (good) and Islam (bad) without an ounce of nuance. Fear- and hate-mongering at its worst. I cannot recommend this book at all.
Steve
Jul 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
This thing is turning into a "my God is better than your God" book which is not my cup of tea. Every author has a point of view and a story to tell but...if I want to be lectured on the value of religion I will watch the Republican convention.

It started out as a pretty decent politcal based thriller but has devolved from there. I hope that he is just plot building otherwise I am going to recycle the paper.

DO NOT READ THIS BOOK!!

The more I think about this book, the more upset I become that I act
Jerry
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
What Mr. Rosenberg has done amazingly in the past, he continues to excel at in The Tehran Initiative. An all-too-real story that moves at a breakneck pace, great characters and dialogue, wonderful writing...suffice it to say, those who aren't reading the writings of Joel Rosenberg are missing out.
Sean Dhaliwal
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I started out really loving this book, but I slowly ended up getting frustrated with it. I haven't read the prequel and didn't really know much about the author before getting into this, but a lot would have made more sense if I had. Rosenberg is basically an evangelical who is on a recruitment drive. You can see it in the plot itself. Now, I have to say, this book is great on a spy thriller level. The action is great and the intrigue is even better. The geopolitical backdrop of the Iran-Israel ...more
Michelle
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic. I was enthralled with the theme and the heartbeat of the story. I enjoy political thrillers, but only if the plot was believable and the characterization well done. This book had both in its favor, and I loved that it was well-written and easy to follow. I really enjoyed getting to know the characters and appreciated the many details in this book. The author knows how to draw the reader in so they forget they are reading. I love that.

David was my favorite character. Ded
Mark John Ostrum
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians
All I can say is I hope he is still writing.

I have read his Benet books, and also have read this entire series to date. The man left me hanging on every word as I progressed through his novels. Then, at the end of each novel he left me hanging on a very, very high and treacherous cliff.

From straight out of the headlines, Rosenberg has the ability to attach Biblical significance to the leading stories of today, especially those surrounding Iran and its repetitively stated mission to wipe Israel a
Mark
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read and reviewed the first book in this series, The Tweflth Imam, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I couldn't wait for the next book to come out, and it finally did. It starts where the first book left off and launches right into fast-paced drama, suspense, and international intrigue.

Rosenberg has created a great character in David Shirazi. He is a CIA agent, but is a very complex individual. I enjoyed reading more about him and seeing even more character development done on him.

Joel Rosenberg know
Larry
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great story from Joel Rosenberg. This is continuation of the Twelvth Iman and another book will follow. The setting so current I sometimes forget I am reading a novel and not the news about what is happening in the world. Joel is very very current in what he writes about and is extremely perceptive on current affairs in Iran, Israel and the middle east. Scary thoughts about what could be. I will probably offend some who may read this review, but the President Jackson depicted in this boo ...more
Chuck
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
The ingredients in this recipe are fairly typical; Iran developes nuclear weapons, CIA operatives on the ground in Iran, does Israel launch a pre-emptive strike, will the U.S.A. support Israel if they do. The author though crafts his characters into believable and likeable people and causes you to want to hear their stories. He does something else; there is zero profanity in this novel and, in my opinion, no emphasis is lost. He also makes it abundantly clear that many of his characters are prac ...more
Josh Hopping
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Over the past decade, author and former political consult Joel C. Rosenberg has been amassing a huge following with multiple New York Times best sellers. Drawing off his as a consult for Israeli Deputy Prime Minister Natan Sharansky and then-former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Rosenberg’s books tend to focus on Middle Eastern politics and terrorism (think CIA and State Department thrillers).

A good chuck of Rosenberg’s fame comes from his uncanny ability to ‘predict’ real-life events within
Elizabeth
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another book from Rosenberg. Excellent plot. I was a bit shocked of course by the hero killing another man. That was to be expected in this kind of book. To kill or to be killed in times of war. I had to read the second half in diagonal as it was a bit long. Loved all the info given as background to the book. Well researched. I hope it is true because i really don't know all the intricacies about the political plottings.
I loved the faith input into the novel and the overall decency of the book.
Sue
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the follow-up book to The Twelfth Imam. I liked the first book, but this one was even better. The scenario is very believable and President Jackson bears an amazing resemblance to our current president. You needn't have read the first book first, but it makes this one more satisfying. The characters continue on from the first book. I believe perhaps a third book is coming, but if not, it still gives the reader plenty to think about. I like it that the scripture is quoted and conversions ...more
Jason Blythe
Oct 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Miserable book. I should have know it would be bad if I had noticed the only blurb on the jacket was a ringing endorsement from Rush Limbaugh. I figured it cost me a dollar at Half Price Books so I'm not out much except a week of my life reading it.
Ed
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is book #2 of the Twelfth IMAM series. There is a great plot that makes the story interesting. I learned a lot about Islam and their false teachings and the errors of Islam that I wish many Muslims would read about. I liked the many examples of Muslims coming to know Christ as Lord and Savior.
Orbs n Rings
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Chilling and thought provoking, a fictional scenario of what may await the Middle East.

The Tehran Initiative is an intense and chilling fictional narrative of what could happen if the Twelfth Imam, a Muslim messiah and prophet should transpire in the middle east. The Twelfth Imam is depicted in the Koran as returning to the middle east, as was dictated to Mohammad by the archangel Gabriel, and is accepted as the foundation of Islamic law. As the Twelfth Imam works his magic and deception acquiri
Louis
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Joel Rosenberg has filled the void left after the passing of Tom Clancy. A master storyteller, Rosenberg weaves fictional narrative and current events into a riveting tapestry of possibilities that are all too believable.

The Tehran Initiative is the second book in the Twelfth Imam series, exploring the all-too-real scenario of how events might unfold if Iran were to acquire or develop nuclear weapons, while at the same time the Free World is led by a weak, equivocating president who refuses to a
Christian Fiction Addiction
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
The epic tale begun in The Twelfth Imam continues in The Tehran Initiative, as undercover CIA agent David Shirazi continues his race to uncover information about Iran's nuclear weapons and plans to annihilate Israel and the United States of America. Millions of Muslims are fixated on the actions of their messiah, or Twelfth Imam, as he unveils plans to create a united Islamic Caliphate. As Iran and Israel both contemplate launching first strike attacks, agent Shirazi finds himself in more danger ...more
Gail Welborn
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews

The Tehran Initiative, by Joel Rosenberg, Tyndale House Publishers, 2011, 480 Pages, ISBN-13: 978-1414319353, $26.99 http://www.joelrosenberg.com/

The Tehran Initiative picks up where The Twelfth Imam ends, with David Shirazi, undercover CIA agent and Iran’s “highest ranking nuclear scientist,” Dr. Malik’s race to reach a safe house. Upon arrival, David dresses Malik’s wounds and then his own. Both men relieved that their desperate bid for freedom, hindered by sirens, gunfire, car chases and a de
Poiema
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the most exciting of Joel Rosenberg's books, in my opinion. Fast paced, full of intrigue and numerous twists and turns, the reader is allowed a glimpse inside the CIA, the Mossad, the Middle Eastern Caliphate, and the Iranian ring of nuclear scientists. The time comes when Israel must take a pre-emptive strike on Iran in order to spare their country from a nuclear holocaust. The action wins the displeasure of the U.S. Commander in Chief, President Jackson. Jackson drags his feet on taki ...more
David
Dec 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: religion
This book is an excellent example of how expectations can ruin a reading experience. A friend recommended this book because of my interest in Iran. I expected to learn about Iran history and politics in the framework of a spy thriller.

However, it ended up being a Christian evangelical book advertised as an eye-popping, educational spy thriller. In short, things started out okay, but I found it ridiculous when David, the main character, started to have his gradual conversion experience. Marseille
Patrick Shelly Jr
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, kindle
I am really liking Joel C Rosenberg's writing. I am impressed with the depth of his characters, the frenetic pace of his plots, and the depth of his research into the religions involved. He has done an amazing job in weaving the plot, mixing faith and strategy, and taking the reader into the depths of the world gone mad. I rarely write reviews here, but these books are simply flowing so well, I wanted to voice my love of the books.

To the author, if by some small miracle you see this review, Tha
Shahil Thomas
May 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
A preachy and biased book that will do more harm than good.

The author has a clear agenda of showcasing the west as the peace-loving, righteous people and Islamic east as this simple minded and fanatic group. Such ignorant and demeaning portrayal of the east reminds me of colonial and slavery proponents trying to show the world how the east is this uncivilized group and its the western worlds duty to bring awareness to those poor people.

Awful read and a book I would never recommend to anyone wi
Susan
Mar 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
I felt deceived in that this book is clearly an evangelical message cloaked in a Nuclear war thriller. After reading the entire book and wondering why there was such a strong message about converting to Christianity, the last few pages of the book had an amended biography about the author founding an Evangelical organization.
Jeanine
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed the high drama, suspense, and possibiltiy of truth that overshadows this 2nd book in the `Twelfth Iman" series. It helps to have read the 1st book before hand in order to get the characters and story set in your mind. Looking forward to reading the 3rd!! ...more
Nicole
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved how the author weaved in the complexities of christianity and muslim, plus the politics of America and the Middle East. The story had a good underlying love story, and portrayed well the path we take to "find" ourselves religiously.
Eric
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Another great book by Joel Rosenberg. He is extremely skilled at weaving action and adventure with a solid Christian message. He is able to do it without any sex or gratuitous violence. I would highly recommend this series as well as his first series.
Jeanie
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Right from the headlines, the book will grab you. It does share the gospel and the differences of Muslim and the Christian Faith. I think Rosenberg does a wonderful job of putting this into fiction. It's interesting how much of it will reveal itself as truth in the days ahead.
Sarra
Jun 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Watch out! This is evangelical drivel poorly hidden within the framework of a thriller. I didn't relaize until I started getting into it - and then all of a sidden - pow! Whew. What a waste of money and time.......
  • Thunder of Heaven (The End, #2)
  • Lion of Babylon (Marc Royce #1)
  • The Diaries Of Pontius Pilate (Fellowship of the Essentials, #1)
  • The Betrayal (Precinct 11, #2)
  • Deception (Ollie Chandler #3)
  • The Great Divide
  • Greater Love (Tides of Truth, #3)
  • Not in the Heart
  • Beckon
  • The Last Plea Bargain
  • The Ambition
  • The Warriors (Abby Sherman #2)
  • Rapture's Rain
Note: This is a different person than the fantasy author, Joel Rosenberg

Joel C. Rosenberg is the founder of The Joshua Fund and the New York Times best-selling author of THE LAST JIHAD (2002), THE LAST DAYS (2003), THE EZEKIEL OPTION (2005), THE COPPER SCROLL (2006), EPICENTER (2006) and DEAD HEAT (2008) with m

The Twelfth Imam (3 books)
  • The Twelfth Imam (The Twelfth Imam, #1)
  • Damascus Countdown (The Twelfth Imam, #3)
“Religion was dangerous, anti-intellectual, a crutch for the masses, and a game for the foolish, the poor, and the hypocrites. (Jacques Miroux)” 9 likes