Start by marking “It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be” as Want to Read:
It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be

It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  11,619 ratings  ·  1,041 reviews
It’s Not How Good You Are, It’s How Good You Want to Be is a handbook of how to succeed in the world: a pocket bible for the talented and timid alike to help make the unthinkable thinkable and the impossible possible.

The world’s top advertising guru, Paul Arden, offers up his wisdom on issues as diverse as problem solving, responding to a brief, communicating, playing your c
Published June 1st 2007 by Phaidon Press (first published 2003)

·  11,619 ratings  ·  1,041 reviews

Start your review of It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be
Will M.
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
My brother recommended this book because I was looking for a good self-help book. I wanted something to motivate me. This book is not about motivating the reader in general, but rather its focus is on the business side of life.

I read this without reading the summary at the back, or even reviews of people here on goodreads. I wanted to read it because of the title. I had no idea it is about business, if I had prior knowledge about the book, I wouldn't have read it.

It's not that I'm n
Emily
Feb 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Just another book I read during one of those sunday sessions at my brother's house. Honestly, I didn't enjoy it more than I did with Whatever You Think, Think The Opposite. The main idea of the book is the same, which is to do things the unconventional way and how it would lead you to achieving something greater than you thought you could.

Frankly, I am sick of these 'advices'. Don't be afraid to make mistakes (yes, acceptable), mistakes is okay (OK, but not so much), NOT GETTING GOOD GRADES IN
Nada  Abandah
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommended
Great little book.
If you’re thinking that you will get something new, totally revolutionary, and out of the box, you will be very disappointed. The advise and ideas in the book are very widely known, things you already do, and in most cases, the author keeps repeating himself.
However, its really sweet, easy read, and provides a great positive reenforcement to you, and assures you that you will get your desired success.
I recomend this book to anyone from fresh grads to seasoned
Mon
Jan 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: kids with drawing materials
Recommended to Mon by: lunch break with nothing to do
Before you read this, ask yourself, Why do you want to be good?

Because Arden is incapable of answering it.
Unless you figure it out, you're more miserable than the failures he describes in this book.
Mario Tomic
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Solid little book, the main 2 things that I got out of it was:
1- “Do not seek praise. Seek criticism.” - I myself fall victim to this mindset often. Generally for a lot of things we do our ego and self-image is attached to it so we never really bother to seek out criticism from others. And the truth is the only way to keep improving yourself and what you do is to be open minded and actively ask those around you what you can make better.
2 - “The person who doesn't make mistakes is unl
Palmyrah
Apr 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
This, at first glance, is a rather mysterious book. From its title, you might think it was a motivational tract for athletes or performing artists, or possibly a training manual for aspirants to sainthood. It claims to be ‘the world’s best-selling book’, yet this is an obvious lie. Most mysterious of all, it is published by Phaidon, a house specializing in pricey coffee-table picture-books, yet it is a paperback, no larger than the average newsstand bestseller, and the few pictures it contains a ...more
Eric Franklin
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: creative professionals
A slender volume and a quick read, exactly what you need to catch up on your reading goals. The typography, layout, and artwork are exquisite, and the subject matter utilizes novel examples and metaphors to get you fired up about excelling in your work. If your work involves creativity, this book will inspire you to push your limits and communicate your ideas at the right level to your clients. It's a lot of fun.
Ben Weiner
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Nicely designed book with some interesting ideas. Super quick read and worth the 30 mins you'll spend with it. It's written by the late, ad guy Paul Arden, but a lot of his advice can be applied more generally to anyone doing creative work.
Autumn
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Equal parts tacky and great.
Cristina
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short read full of meaningful words. 📖
Amal_a_240526
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very inspiring self motivating book. One of the books that I will keep near my bed to read it whenever I feel like reading. This book has many inspiring quotes. Even though it was published in 2003, you still could relate to what the book is talking about to our recent time. I loved the way the book delivers its messages. For example, some quotes are writen in a whole page with big a font, some of them are in bold and some are attached to pictures and stories. Very simple and straightforward b ...more
Helen
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Someone who is creative and thoughtful!
Paul Arden is a fantastic speaker; he clearly knows what he s talking about when it comes to being successful. There are lots of uplifting tips and you can dip into the book easily or read it from cover to cover. It’s a short book but compact with useful information. It’s one of the best ‘Self Help’ books I’ve ever read!
Diana Ouma
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once again, another superb novel by Paul Arden. Such a atheistically pleasing book. Such a talented writer. Such an inspirational story! :3
Ons Majouli
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
it was a waste of time 😑
Nicholas
Apr 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
If you want inspiration this book will give it to you, not because it's full of Aha moments or well articulated advice but because it's been written so poorly you wonder how it even made it to the printing press, which means even YOU could write a better book and get it published.

If there's one thing you can take away from it, it's the value of having a good cover title and name, the rest is just hyperbole and generic advice.

In Summary:

It's a predictable and horrib
Dylan
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book for people who think that they suck at something or say they can't to something. A book to restore faith in yourself
Heather
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: leadership
This is a short little book about marketing and advertising. It makes a couple of interesting points about marketing yourself, but it was definitely written for a group of people with personalities, skills, and talents very different from me. :)

I like the ideas to:
* strive for excellence
* have a vision for yourself
* share your ideas freely
* don't look for the next opportunity, but realize the one in hand is the opportunity
* accentuate the positive
Rita van Eck
Oct 25, 2015 rated it liked it
If you don’t like reading, this book is perfect for you.
Aimed at creative professionals, it contains bite-sized bits of information that are meant to inspire you and keep you entertained for the hour that it will take you to finish this self-help style book.
Filled with clever remarks, thought-provoking pictures and anecdotes, it will challenge the norm around what it takes to succeed in the advertising industry.
Definitely worth the read – you’ll get a fresh perspective on what it me
afin
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I actually started this book god knows when and decided to re-start it again today since I'm looking for a light read. It's a good book, gives you insight on how to maximize your efforts if you're in the field of marketing (if you are this book would be super useful for you). Sadly, I'm not in that field so this book just provides new knowledge for me.
Wendy
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was an OK read during short moments of spare time, but I expected something different of it. But maybe that's my own fault 'cause I thought it would also be inspiring for those not working in advertising. In the end I didn't really got motivated by it, just bored by all the 'witty lines'...
Lujain XD
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
One star for the catchy title and another for the cute images ;)
Laura Martinez
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's like a bible of how to succeed in the world, anyone can read it. Was motivational for me, I read quotes that I already know but sometimes you need to remember. The examples also are great and you can visualise yourself in that position.
Mircea Țara
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A short and sweet book about what advertising is about and what you need/should do if you want to stay creative and love what you do.
General laws applied to the ad world, so itțs a good fit for those who don't work in advertising.
Jovelyn Diamante
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The simplicity of being you. Of embracing and capitalizing on your strengths and weaknesses in order to pursue something of value. I can be really hard on myself, always pursuing goals right after accomplishing one. This book made me realign my thinking and amplified things that I've been doing correctly anyway.
Leilani
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short. Sweet. To the point.
Lots of skills to be utilized in all aspects of life, not just advertising.
Sawsan Al Khadhra
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A small book but full with wisdoms and motivation.
Ruben Steins
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Great typography, adequate content.
Ashwini
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic cover to cover read. Some beautiful life lessons and a must read. Can read it more than once, definitely. Go for it. :)
Jeff
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Good career advice for advertising people.
Dima Ballouk
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
" We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are."
................................................................................................
The person who doesn't make mistakes is unlikely to make anything.

• Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!): How To Unleash Your Creative Potential by America's Master Communicator, George Lois
  • Failed It!: How to turn mistakes into ideas and other advice for successfully screwing up
  • Know Your Onions: Graphic Design
  • A Smile in the Mind
  • Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
  • A Technique for Producing Ideas
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • The Brand Gap
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • Change Your Mind: 57 Ways to Unlock Your Creative Self
  • How to Think Like Bill Gates
  • Better Web Typography for a Better Web
  • Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
  • الساعة 7:46 مساءً
Paul Arden (7 April 1940 – 2 April 2008) was an influential author of several books on advertising and motivation including "Whatever You Think, Think The Opposite" and "It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be" and a former creative director for Saatchi and Saatchi at the height of their advertising might.
In 1987 Arden was appointed executive creative director. He has spent 1
“Being right is based upon knowledge and experience and is often provable. Knowledge comes from the past, so it's safe. It is also out of date. It's the opposite of originality. Experience is built from solutions to old situations and problems. The old situations are probably different from the present ones, so that old solutions will have to be bent to fit new problems (and possibly fit badly). Also the likelihood is that, if you've got the experience, you'll probably use it. This is lazy. Experience is the opposite of being creative. If you can prove you're right you're set in concrete. You cannot move with the times or with other people. Being right is also being boring. Your mind is closed. You are not open to new ideas. You are rooted in your own rightness, which is arrogant. Arrogance is a valuable tool, but only if used very sparingly. Worst of all, being right has a tone of morality about it. To be anything else sounds weak or fallible, and people who are right would hate to be thought fallible. So: it's wrong to be right, because people who are right are rooted in the past, rigid-minded, dull and smug. There's no talking to them.” 62 likes
“If you can't solve a problem, it's because you're playing by the rules” 43 likes