Start by marking “The New Kid” as Want to Read:
The New Kid

The New Kid

3.15  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Newbery Honor Award—winning author Mavis Jukes is back with a lovable new character named Carson. His father moves him to a new town in Northern California, where he'll be the new kid in class—friendless and alone, except for his beloved stuffed moose (named Moose, of course). As Carson settles into his new surroundings, a series of delightful mishaps start to occur: the c ...more
Published December 13th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The New Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Kid

Okay for Now by Gary D. SchmidtA Monster Calls by Patrick NessWonderstruck by Brian SelznickDivergent by Veronica RothInside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai
Newbery 2012
146 books — 738 voters
Sweet Dance Of Awakening by Virginia AirdThe Trial by Shay LynamA Trip with Destiny by Virginia AirdGenesis by Lara MorganDark Star by Lara Morgan
E-Library [vol.2]
102 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Claire
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
It was OK because it kind of was just....... EVERYWHERE!!!!
Josiah
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
The New Kid is not your average school story. The way it is told has a different feel than most other juvenile novels focusing on a kid in school, and sort of hovers right in between being the kind of intentionally absurdist comedy that Roald Dahl specialized in, and a more traditional, straightforward narrative about getting along in a new school with unfamiliar peers. I wasn't at all times entirely sure what to make of this book while I was reading it, but maybe that's a sign of a good writer ...more
Dianna Cuevas
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love your books
Debrarian
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fic, read-alouds, funny
What I liked a lot: It's an extremely believable classroom world full of specifically drawn characters. Many of the characters are spot-on distillations of some classic classroom types but are nuanced and not at all stereotyped (the twinly best-friend girls; the loudmouth, slightly berserk but warmhearted and creative classroom nuisance boy; the inventive but sometimes exasperated teacher). Several of the scenes wherein a creative lesson plan goes awry are laugh-out-loud funny. The relationship ...more
Lindsay
It had potential. I think the reason why I didn't enjoy this story is that Carter has a very nice, advantaged life. So he moves away from his grandparents, but they fly out to visit him anyway. He also has a super easy time making friends at his new school. Oh, and I forgot to mention the Porsche his dad drives and all the time his dad spends with him, which includes baking Carter cookies. I just wouldn't recommend this book to a child who wants to read books about moving or being a new kid at s ...more
Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 added it
Shelves: single
Eight-year-old Carson, his dad, their great dog, Genevieve, and his well-loved plush toy, Moose, move to northern California, Carson worries about adjusting to a new school and making friends. Carson, who was adopted as an infant or toddler by an evidently single father, is a great kid, and his sensitivity to others, love for his family, and dreams for his future as a veterinarian, are all very sweet. The story occasionally felt a little disjointed to me, but the overall tone was cozy and warm.

T
Monica Johnson
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is an example of contemporary fiction for the ages of of intermediate (I) readers. This eBook is written by an author who has recieved several award winning books for children and teenagers. This is a great story that offers a lot to the plot that many young children can relate too. Carson and his father must move. Carson is faced with making new friends and getting used to a new atmosphere. This book provides comfort and reassurance to young children going through the same obstacle. E ...more
Jackie
When 9-year-old Carson Blum and his dad move to Northern California and leave almost all they know behind, Carson is worried about making new friends, navigating a huge public school, and being apart from his grandparents. But, what Carson finds is a school full of quirky, lovable characters and a whole lot of new territory to explore.

The New Kid addresses some of the fears kids have when moving and how, with just a little bit of self-assurance and oomph, they can make a new life that may just
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
The story is slow and plodding but there are some good points in this sweet, gentle but kind of dull read. The boy is an adopted child of a single dad, they have a good relationship and the dad is very sweet. I am just not sure many kids would get through the story, and the minutia of Carson’s day. However, it is how kids sometimes see the world so maybe they will dig it. Hmm, the other reviews seem as perplexed as me.
Nancy
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Have you ever been the new kid in school? It is not a good feeling, is it? Carson Blum has moved to a new home and is going to a new school. And he knows no one. The school is large and seems very different from the very small Montessori school he was used to. Will he find any friends? Will he ever fit in? What do you think will happen to Carson?
Sandy Brehl
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a fun read as a teacher, and would suit many kids- moving, new school, etc. Even more so, a beginning teacher might benefit from reading it. The dedication says it all. This story and characters are strong and appealing, but to me (as a teacher) I was even more impressed at the seamless way so many outstanding classroom practices were woven throughout.
Samantha
Jan 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but I just didn't. It was very slow and while I can appreciate kids chapter books that focus in on the minute details of a kid's everyday life this one just didn't live up to it's book jacket summary. I think this would be a very hard sell to a kid and even a parent, though the author is a Newbery Honor winner.
Sharon Lawler
This a sweet story about a single parent family consisting of a boy and his dad. They have just moved, and Carson is now the new kid in school, which involves figuring out Wes, the biggest problem in the class. Dad really wants Carson to come to his own conclusions about Wes, which requires both patience and wise words. The story is a realistic dad-son relationship, and we need more of these!
Brenda Kahn
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Liked it just enough to give it three stars, but it is a bit slow going. It's sweet and gentle. A bit too long for early chapter book readers, but with the eight year old protagonist and the meandering plot, older readers might not be attracted.
Readingkidslit
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought this was a very nice book. It has a bunch of different families in it but doesn't preach at you. For example: Carson is raised by his single father, there is another boy who lives with his grandma, etc. This book also was very good at describing how it feels to be the new kid.
Robin
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This book would help a student who moves to a new town where he's the new kid in school. Carson is an adopted child living with his dad and has to deal with a boy in his class who may or may not be lying to him!
Virginia Brace
Feb 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
Carson is the adopted child of a single fatherwho has be start in a new school very different from his former private Montessori school. No surprises here. He makes new friends and has some interesting experiences.
Mari
Realistic fiction about a 3rd grader moving to a new town. Well written, interesting characters, and some humor, but not too much of a plot. For readers who like school/friendship stories. Also, for people looking for characters who are adopted or single-father families.
Mary
Jan 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: middle-grade
Didatic. Wordy. Inconsistant P.O.V. No real plot.
Rebecca
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
The cover is great, right? But the book is kind of dull... Nothing really happened. The characters were lovely (I would totally date the dad), but there is no arc to this story. Yawn.
Sara
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great Elementary read about a boy of a single father and how their lives unfold in a new town and new school
Lauren Soucy
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: did-not-finsh
On the did not finish shelf only because I liked the first 1/3 but HAVE to move in to the other 10 on my desk. Read enough to book talk it.
Clover White
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is short on action and long on character, which is fine when the character is as sweet as Carson, the New Kid. I enjoyed it.
Lisa
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved the sweet relationship between Carson and his dad!
Anne Beier
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Hard to follow sometimes.
Erin (work)
Feb 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: j-fic, realistic
oh so painful I didn't even finish it. boring writing, boring--unrealistic--characters.
Laycee
Sep 05, 2012
Julie Gerber
Jan 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Mavis Jukes (born May 3, 1947 in Nyack, New York), is an American author of novels for children. She has also published nonfiction books for children and pre-teens about puberty. Her books are usually health-based.

Before becoming an author, Jukes was a lawyer and a teacher. Her first book, No One is Going to Nashville, was published in 1983. She lives with her husband, the sculptor and painter Rob