Start by marking “Freaks (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #8.5)” as Want to Read:
Freaks (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #8.5)

Freaks

(Rizzoli & Isles #8.5)

A bizarre death comes with a supernatural twist. Homicide cop Jane Rizzoli and medical examiner Maura Isles have seen their fair share of mortal crimes, but the death of Kimberly Rayner may qualify as inhuman in more ways than one. When corpse of the emaciated seventeen-year-old girl is discovered next to an empty coffin in an abandoned church, mysterious bruises around ...more
Published May 31st 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published May 30th 2007)

Start your review of Freaks (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #8.5)
Paula
A really enjoyable fast, fun, and super-quick read, with Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles investigating the death of a teenage girl who appears to have been a vampire.
Jonetta
Detective Jane Rizzoli and medical examiner Maura Isles are investigating the death of a young girl whose body was found next to a coffin in an adandoned church. Their primary suspect is a young boy who thinks hes a vampire.

This may be the shortest story Ive read. Theres not much to it and I finished in 15 minutes. Not sure what was the point to add this to the series. Nothing really new learned and nothing advanced in terms of characters or ongoing story arcs.

Next.
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Free download info below. It's actually pretty reassuring to read this book. After the goofiness of the TNT show and the good-but-not-great Ice Cold, it's nice to be back in the familiar world of Jane Rizzoli and the gruesome crimes she investigates with the help of Medical Examiner Maura Isles.

Freaks is a short story that the author wrote for her fans in anticipation of The Silent Girl, which will be out in July. As with all short stories, the pacing is occasionally a little rushed
Thomas
Shovelmonkey1
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are already in love with riz and isles
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: kindle freeness
Yes this was a kindle freebie and yes, if something is free on kindle I will immediately read it because kindle freeness will undoubtedly go on trumping my discerning literary brain cell ever time. Damn you tricksy Kindle!

I've never read any Gerritsen before and even though I am not a fan of crime/cop fiction generally, I've been around the block (and the ASDA Walmart wall of pop' books) enough times to recognize that Gerritsen is a big name in the world of crime fiction. I'm not sure why I
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 31/08/2011
Author: Tess Gerritsen
Recommend For: fan's of Rizzoli and Isles, fans of crime novels and fans of short stories
Edition: Kindle

I love books by Tess Gerritsen so when I saw this book on the Kindle Store for free I knew I had to read it.

This is a very good novella by the amazing Tess Gerritsen, it keeps up a good pace throughout the novella, some part of it weren't very believable at all but it still is quite a good book. However I do much prefer the full length novels. I
Emily
This would have gotten another star from me had it been a bit longer and more fleshed-out. It was an extremely short "novella", really a short-story, but it fell next in the Rizzoli & Isles series for me, so I gave it a quick read. Good, but over in a flash. On to the next!
Robin
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, kindle, 2013
Detective Jane Rizzoli and Medical Examiner Maura Isles are investigating the death of a teenage girl. The victim was found lying next to an open coffin in an abandoned cathedral. Her boyfriend was seen fleeing the scene after police arrived. Both she and her boyfriend believed they were vampires, existing on animal blood as their only nourishment. Now Rizzoli and Isles must figure out what killed the teenage girl before her father takes his own vengeance on her boyfriend.

This is a very short
Bookschatter
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is an incredibly short story, between 15 and 20 pages, and it was made available for free in conjunction with the launch of the Rizzoli & Isles TV series (that I have never watched) - I thought it was rather bland.

The characters seemed very wooden and we did not learn enough about any of them to develop any sympathies.
The plot itself was very linear and predictable.

This is an extremely quick read and it is free, hence it is worth a read to get a taste of the author's writing style.

Kinga
Mar 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
See? ! ? I told you there is a good reason for hating spiders.
Lynda Kelly
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
This was like a mini Tales of the Unexpected. Not sure if everyone remembers this series but this little book would have made a perfect story for it.
It was only 20 pages or so so a very quick read but not bad........I'd not be bothering with anymore of these short stories, though. I prefer a way more fleshed out tale.
A teenaged girl is found in a church dead and her boyfriend is caught fleeing the scene......can't say much more without writing a spoiler so I won't.
Gary
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent series of books that features Jane Rizzoli a police homicide detective and Maura Isles a medical examiner.
The books are very well written and show a very good knowledge of Police procedure. The interaction between the main two characters is very effective and makes very entertaining reading.
Lynn Spencer
3.5 stars Not a bad little short story. If you already know and love Rizzoli and Isles, you'll probably enjoy it. If you're not familiar with the series, though, I'd recommend starting with one of the books.
Cyndi
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Cute short story. Well written, of course.
Christina
Jun 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK. I know it is a short story, but this was pretty lame. The first thing of Gerritsen's that I have been disappointed with.
Jan C
short and not quite the ending I was expecting.
Min Yee
I quite enjoyed reading this short story which involves something different such as vampires. Also, both Jane and Maura are applying their investigative and scientific skills, respectively, to convince us that from their perspectives, vampires never exist in the world.

Book Review: Freaks (Rizzoli & Isles #8.5) by Tess Gerritsen.
Cynthia
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytel-ebooks
That was a short story. But I will always love an Rizzolli & Isles book. Even if it is an short one.
Wonda
Feb 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am giving this a low rating because it's a super waste of 15 minutes of your life....Unless you're an uber fan!
Shannon
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG hilarious ending! I love this author and her short stories are no exception.
Beth (bibliobeth)
2.5 stars from me!

Freaks was such an interesting reading experience for me but first I have to tell you a little story. I'm a huge fan of Tess Gerritsen and about ten years ago, I read everything she ever published up to that point. The author used to be a doctor and so she brought all her experience and first hand knowledge from her career and used it in an excellent way to tell some thrilling tales. In fact the first novel in her famous Rizzoli and Isles series, The Surgeon still remains one
Connie
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was too short. I like more depth, but the little bit that was there was very interesting. In fact it was perfect for Halloween or being close to the holiday at any rate.

I am giving it 3 out of 5, because I am not a fan of novellas or short stories.
Lakis Fourouklas
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main protagonists in this short story by Tess Gerritsen, which only came out as an eBook, are the usual suspects: detective Jane Rizzoli and -the queen of the dead- medical examiner Maura Isles.
The events of this case take place during one of the coldest winters in history in Boston, where the local police discovers the corpse of a young woman in a deserted church. Kimberly Rayner, as is the victims name, looks undernourished and seems to have been strangled to death. While Rizzoli and
Neil
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although only a short read, this had plenty of elements to encourage me to seek out more works from this writer. At times though this did feel a bit rushed, and it all became a bit of an anticlimax in the end. I will say that overall I enjoyed the writing style, and I am sure that a full length book will prove the point, or at least I hope so.
Jinky
(3.5)
I've seen a few of the Rizzoli & Isles TV series and I like them. I didn't realize that they were based on books so when I saw this short story on Amazon's Kindle freebies, I downloaded it. I wasn't disappointed. It was a quick taste of what you might find on the TV series. This particular story was vampire-ish and quite captivating. I totally pictured the TV stars, Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander (cover photo), acting this out so I was able to identify with the personalities of the
Eric
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the TV show
The price was right, as I got it on Amazon.com for free, thanks to the heads up of one of my Goodreads friends.

The length of the story is estimated at 49 pages, but between the copyright info and 'also by this author' stuff at the beginning, a preview of the new Rizzoli & Isles novel afterward, a script of a scene from the show after that, and an ad for the show's new season, the actual short story couldn't be longer than 15-20 pages. The entire premise of the story could have been written
Brenda
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-unread
This short story by Tess Gerritsen is quick and quirky....

Homicide cop Jane Rizzoli called medical examiner Maura Isles to an abandoned and rundown church in Boston, after they discovered an emaciated seventeen year old girl, Kimberley Rayner, lying dead on the floor, with an open coffin nearby. Suddenly, Jane heard noises, and took off after a fleeting shape, who turned out to be James Henry, the victims closest friend, who was also pale, thin and terrified.

The victims distraught father
Jud
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I was disappointed with this short story, I felt it was too short and I never really got into it. The characters were so empty and ridiculous, even Rizzoli and Isles. I love Tess Gerritsen and have to read every book she releases but i wouldn't recommend this. The story line was too far fetched for so little detail perhaps if the 'vampire' characters were in a full novel with a background and more explanation then it would work better.

Maybe I enjoy the books too much to
Janelle
Oct 04, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one probably doesn't even warrant a review, but I like to give myself credit for the things I read, so I'm counting it :) This is a short story that was a free download for the Nook from B&N. I had heard good things about the author and the TV show with these same characters so I thought I would check out the short story. It was MUCH shorter than I thought it would be, and then the ending was stupid. It was a solid 3 up until the last couple pages, then the ending made it a 2 for me. ...more
Melissa
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know that I am probably completely lost in the series because I read the short story before I read the other books but it has been sitting on my Nook Color for several months and I just couldn't resist it any longer. I am started watching the TV show this year and have really enjoyed it. This book was a little bit confusing but I think that was mainly because I have seen the TV show and not read the books. I am now starting to read the books so hopefully I will begin to understand more.
2-3-4 Challenge B...: * Freaks by Tess Gerritsen 2 5 Nov 29, 2018 05:06PM
2-3-4 Challenge: Freaks by Tess Gerritsen (Rizzoli & Isles #8.5) - November 2018 1 7 Oct 31, 2018 04:00PM
Thriller fans: Jaarreeks - Rizzoli & Isles 8.5 8 13 Sep 03, 2018 03:56AM
Goodreads Librari...: Freaks needs fixing 3 163 Dec 20, 2012 04:47PM

• The Unremarkable Heart
  • A Raging Storm (Derrick Storm, #2)
  • There Was an Old Woman Who Lived in a Book
  • The Love Letter
  • Graveyard Games
  • Reckless (Lucy Kincaid, #5.5)
  • The Admiral's Mark (Cotton Malone, #0.5)
  • Christmas Surprise: Eingeschneit in den Rocky Mountains
  • Dear Taylor (Letters to War, #1)
  • The Common Years
  • Lisa and Co
  • Class
  • Haven (The Fall of Haven #1)
  • Blood and Snow
  • The Hellion Bride (Brides, #2)
  • Regency Pleasures
  • Death Toll Rising
  • Be Wise: 1 Corinthians: Discern the Difference Between Man's Knowledge and God's Wisdom (The BE Series Commentary)
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic

Rizzoli & Isles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)