Start by marking “A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)

A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  930 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Former Manhattan fashion designer Harlow Jane Cassidy has a gift for creating beautiful dresses. But when Harlow becomes the prime suspect in a murder investigation, she'll need more than her sewing skills to unravel the mystery...

Business is booming at Harlow's custom dressmaking boutique, Buttons & Bows, even with the presence of her great-grandmother's ghost hangi
Mass Market Paperback, 300 pages
Published February 7th 2012 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about A Fitting End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fitting End

Patty
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
I can't believe how quickly I finished this book. I had the time and an it was interesting plot and story.

I'm not into the "magical" but I do like how Ms Bourbon uses it in the story. It helped set up and build on understanding and believing in Harlow's special gift. This second book really built on the characters that were introduced in "Pleating for Mercy," and introduced new likable ongoing characters. The mystery element kept me guessing until the end. I like light mysteries and this fit the
Book of Secrets ☘
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Miss Harlow Jane Cassidy, once a New York fashion designer, is now the proud owner of Buttons and Bows, a unique dressmaking shop in Bliss, Texas. Thanks to a magical wish made by her great-great-great grandfather, Butch Cassidy (yep, that Butch Cassidy!), all of the women in the family are blessed with a special “gift.” While her grandmother is a goat charmer, and her mom has a powerful green thumb, Harlow has the ability to sew magic into the garments she makes, giving the wearer a little supe ...more
❂ Jennifer
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I really like this author and the first book in this series - and I really liked a lot of things about this book. The mystery plot was excellent. But... there is so much of this story line that has left me utterly confused. Specifically concerning one of the characters, Gracie. I really feel like a page was missing from my book or something. (view spoiler) ...more
Debbie Heaton
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In Bourbon’s paranormal mystery novel, Buttons & Bows, Harlow Cassidy’s custom dressmaking shop is overflowing with business. The Margaret Maffette Lea Pageant is around the corner and to her surprise; Mrs. Zinnia James hires her to make her granddaughter’s pageant gown. Not surprisingly the local golf pro is found dead and the new deputy in town suspects Harlow since her scissors appear to be the weapon. Determined to find answers, Harlow sets out to solve the crime and complete the perfect ...more
LORI CASWELL
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Melissa Bourbon has created some fascinating characters in this series. Yes, the Cassidy women are “charmed” but they are also charming, delightful and funny. Harlow stitches a little magic into each of her creations which leads to some very surprising revelations. Reading this story was pure joy.

There is a part when a huge piece of furniture is being moved, I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. The men is this series can be equally charming but are completely in the dark about what is r
Kristin
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy
I love this series. This is book two. I fell in love with the characters in the first one and the second one just confirmed it. The Cassidy women and their magic are just charming and make me wish I didn't have to wait until October for the next one. If you like cozy mysteries with a touch of magic or paranormal you will like this one.
Melanie Smith
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book two of a new series and I am enjoying it very much. I usually do not read the "paranormal" or "magic" mysteries, but this series has me hooked. This is a great cozy mystery and I think what I like about this series is that I think I have it figured out and then in the last 10 pages, I find out that I was totally wrong! I always close the book saying "wow"!
Brooke
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

A charming book with just enough humor, intrigue and hints of blossoming romance. I thoroughly enjoyed and recommend this series. I can't wait to read the next book. The teaser in the back has me wanting more adventures with Harlow Cassidy and her family and friends.
Monica
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good mystery. Had me guessing till the end. So many suspects. So many new characters that I was getting a bit confused. Had a family tree in the back of the book so that helps a bit.
Janet Schaffner
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
the magical charms of the Cassidy women continue......
Jeanette
I enjoyed reading this book. I like the characters and the story.
Kelly
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
really enjoyable, can't wait till I pick up the next one,
Jenna
Secrets, secrets, and more secrets. That, in a nutshell, is the underlying theme to A Fitting End, the second book in Melissa Bourbon’s Magical Dressmaking mystery series. Simply put, I cannot say enough good things about this series. A Facebook friend once said that this series is “like comfort food” and I still have yet to come up with a better description.

Just months after finding a dead body in her front yard, dressmaker Harlow Cassidy finds her life interwoven with Bliss tradition and a mu
Amanda
I love this series, when I am reading it I wish that I could step into the pages and have Harlow make a dress for me, see Tessa's garden, even meet Coleta's goats.

I think it was fantastic that the reader is kept guessing almost to the very end. I think it adds to the story and makes it more plausible, the false leads, the suspicions, the surprise revelations... they all add to the suspense and keep you guessing as to who the real killer is and what new secrets are going to be uncovered next.

As m
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Secrets. What town, family, group of friends, haven't their share of secrets? The small town of Bliss, Texas has perhaps more than their share of secrets. This novel explores secrets that can hurt, harm your business, even kill.

Dressmaker, Harlow Jane Cassidy, yes of the famous Butch Cassidy family line, is thrown into uncovering deceits and lies, when she learns that the local Country Club's Golf Pro, Vance Macon, has been murdered by someone using Harlow's very own sewing scissors. Added to th
Morgan
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is interesting for a cozy mystery. I enjoy Harlow, her Mama and Nana interacting with Meemaw's spirit. There's a lot of secrets about who belongs to which family and such.

I'm not sorry that Macon Vance was murdered since all he did in life was golf and donate his sperm to lonely housewives. However, I don't understand why so many women would accept him in the first place and the stupid husbands do nothing about it and just please their wives.

What threw me off a little was who murdered him.
Leya
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
A Fitting End is the second book A Magical Dressmaking Mystery series by Melissa Bourbon. The author also writes under the name of Melissa Bourbon Ramirez, Lola Cruz Mystery series. I read the first book of the Magical Dressmaking series last year, and it was one of those great cosy's that you read in one sitting. So I was hoping that this one would be just as Pleating for Mercy.

Harlow is slowly getting back into the groove of things, both in her haunted house and in her hometown of Bliss, Texa
Nell
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: southern, u2016
I didn't think this book was as good as the first one. First, I find the improper and overuse of y'all annoying. Too many Southern transplants and 'faux belles' think that makes them sound Southern :/ It's one of my pet peeves. In one early chapter, it's used every other line when referring to one person. (rolling my eyes). Next it strains credulity that the MC would be allowed to take over the town's debutante pageant with no experience, no social connections and no involvement with the sponsor ...more
Rogue Reader
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Fitting End is Bourbon's second Magic Dressmaking Mystery, and it has more of what I really enjoyed in Pleating for Mercy. Harlow's starting to feel more comfortable in Bliss, Texas and now has some friends and advocates that are bringing in business. The ghost of her great grandmother is more present now and finds ways to communicate with Harlow. Family relationships and small town histories become even more entwined, and of course, Harlow has a dead body to worry about.

"I had nothing to do w
Debbie
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another appealing entry in the Magical Dressmaking series. Harlow Cassidy is a direct descendant of Butch Cassidy, and all the Cassidy women have a special talent. Her grandmother's a goat whisperer, her mother has flowers appear in profusion wherever she walks, and Harlow (the Cassidy name is passed through the female line) she a person and envision's the perfect dress for whatever occasion, sewing into the seems the strength/confident/whatever quality the wearer requires. She's busy making "Ma ...more
Dharia Scarab
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it

4 sta
Jessi
Cassidy Harlow, dressmaker extraordinnaire, is back... and another murder. She's filled up on dress orders for the Margaret ceremony, a local tradition for debutantes. While waiting for Lucille, who is charge of the ceremony, Cassidy overhears her arguing with the local golf pro, the local golf pro who later ends up dead... killed with Cassidy's sewing shears.
There're no shortage of suspects. It turns out the local golf pro (as Ramirez says) is more like a tennis pro in terms of his relationship
Vickie
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I do enjoy continuing a series, though I rarely immediately get the next in series this quickly. I usually wait for a bit since there are so many other new-to-me series out there to discover. I made an exception here as I really like the characters and the setting of this series. The mystery is well done, the victim got his 'just desserts' and the fun of the chase is enjoyable. I do like the ghostly presence of Harlow's great-grandmother and the varying gifts of Harlow and her family.

Five Texas
Ann
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Harlow Cassidy is back in the second book in this series. She is asked to make dresses for the annual Margaret Ball and travels to the local country club to meet with Mrs. James, the coordinator. Whens he arrives, she hears an argument between Mrs. James and a man she doesn't know. The man is Macon Vance, the golf pro. When Vance is found murdered with Harlow's scissors used as the weapon, Mrs. James is arrested. Harlow needs to clear her friend of the murder, coordinate the pageant and keep the ...more
Joyce
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my first time reading a book by Melissa Bourbon. It was delightful! I love a mystery and I love to sew - win win situation :) The characters (interesting ones too) were well defined and the story unfolded quite nicely. I really enjoyed the magical part of the book also. Overall I would recommend this to anyone loving mysteries. The small bits of what I like to call comedy interjected with some "real life" drama gave this book 5 stars in my rating. Looking forward to reading more of Bourb ...more
Shuriu
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Nancy  Price
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I really liked the first book in this series, but since I'm not a paranormal fan, this one didn't measure up. The magical charm idea still worked, but the ghost of Harlow's great grandmother was too present in stereotypical ways. I also felt that the book was unfinished. There were allusions to a relationship that was never clarified; the ending came too abruptly with a lot of dangling threads.
Lacey
Another great novel in a fantastic cozy mystery series! It had me guessing till the end... When I thought it was definitely Anna who had done it, it turned out to be somebody else! Melissa Bourbon definitely has an amazing talent to keep you guessing. My only complaint is that the small budding romance between Harlow and Will is taking just a little too long for me. My fervent hope is that in the next book there will be more sparks flying between the two of them.
Moondance
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I must admit that the first book in the series was difficult for me to get into. I am pleased to say that was not the case with this one. I feel that the Cassidy women were warmer and more together in this book. I appreciated the small town feel of Bliss, Texas and the intertwining of friendships and relationships. The revelation of long kept secrets helped, too. i look forward to the next book in the series. 4 stars
Nicky
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I love Harlow, she's such a likable character. This one still had me guessing until the end. I didn't understand the part of Anna's sisters wedding though. Will is one of my favorite characters. I think I get butterflies along with Harlow when he walks into the room. I just order the next book on Amazon, can't wait to start reading! Melissa is going to need to write faster!!
Goodreads Librari...: Please change page count 2 10 May 18, 2017 11:21PM
  • Tulle Death Do Us Part (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #6)
  • A Spirited Gift (A Missing Pieces Mystery, #3)
  • A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • If Mashed Potatoes Could Dance (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery, #2)
  • Murder on the House (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #3)
  • Reap What You Sew (A Southern Sewing Circle, #6)
  • Gem of a Ghost (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #3)
  • Die Job (Southern Beauty Shop, #3)
  • Last Wool and Testament (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery, #1)
  • Perfectly Matched (Lucy Valentine, #4)
  • Cake on a Hot Tin Roof (A Piece of Cake Mystery #2)
Librarian note: Melissa Bourbon is also known as Misa Ramirez and Melissa Bourbon Ramirez.
More about Melissa Bourbon...

A Magical Dressmaking Mystery (6 books)
  • Pleating for Mercy (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • A Custom-Fit Crime (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #4)
  • A Killing Notion (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #5)
  • A Seamless Murder (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #6)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Body of Death (Inspector Lynley #16)
    $7.49 $1.99