Start by marking “Paul Thurlby's Alphabet” as Want to Read:
Paul Thurlby's Alphabet

Paul Thurlby's Alphabet

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Discover an alphabet like no other!

In his first picture book, graphic artist Paul Thurlby presents a stunning alphabet that helps to make the shape of each letter memorable. From an awesome A to a zippy Z, this is the perfect ABC book for the young and hip.
Published October 11th 2011 by Templar (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Paul Thurlby's Alphabet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul Thurlby's Alphabet

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC RETRO ART - I am a big fan!
Christine
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I debated over 4 stars and 5 stars. I need a 4 1/2 option because I'm not sure this is "amazing" but I personally liked it more than one really. This alphabet book contains some of the usual suspects like "D for Dog" and "X for X-Ray." It also has some less typical choices like "E for Embrace." The accompanying retro-style illustrations are very well done and pretty cool.
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
eclectic, energetic alphabet book selections (a for awesome! / r for rabbit / y for yoga) linked by mid-century design.
Megan
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So many great prints, I don't know where to start
Edward Sullivan
Jessica Harrison
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, picture
Review via Cracking the Cover
The alphabet has so been done. Or has it? There are hundreds of alphabet books available, but none of them are quite like “Paul Thurlby’s Alphabet.”

Thurlby, who is a graphic artist, brings a new look to letters with his bold illustrations. The artist says he’s inspired by mid-century design and illustration, and that definitely shows in what he describes as “retro-modern” work.

A really is for Awesome when it comes to this book. The images are fun and colorful and hav
Although this alphabet book contains the typical Dog and X-ray, it also surprises with Fierce and Trapeze. Each letter is integrated into the illustrated object or action, and yes, there is a lot of action. Many of the illustrations also have unexpected surprises, like the road sign beside the Island telling how far away the letter J is, or the single leg on the Q as the "missing" leg presumably gets sucked down into Quicksand.

ESL students can benefit from the simplicity and predictability of al
Leslie
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books, abc
I was looking for a good alphabet book (why is it that baby toys only include up to "D"?!!) and I found 2 great ones. Paul Thurlby's book is fun for both of us. Each page has a beautiful illustration of the letter in action. Some of my favorites are: J for jazz has the J as a saxophone being played, K for karate where the K is the body of the martial artist, and Q for quicksand where the letter Q is a person sinking.

The bold colors capture the attention of my 2.5 month old, but the cleverness o
Ryan Dreier
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Paul Thurby is the Author and Illustrator for this book.
In picking out a book this one grabbed my interest due to it's style and in part the letters were easily identifiable. On the recto side each letter is printed in both uppercase and lowercase, and on the verso page Thurlby illustrates a letter into the word that it represents in a "retro-modern" style. Reminds me of many illustrations that can be purchased on istockphoto. Thurlby does provide notes at the back of the book of how the projec
Jenny
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I already know my alphabet but I can't resist a picture book with beautiful illustrations. The author and illustrator put a lot of thought into the word he used for each letter 'fusing the object of the word with the shape of the letter'. For instance, E is for Embrace and the illustration shows two capital E's embracing. Very clever! Give this a look-see the next time your in a bookstore or library.
Green Bean
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Paul Thurlby's new ABC book is retro and rad! Old-school sign art honors the timeless 26. "My alphabet needed to be different from the many versions around," said Thurlby, "so I decided to pursue the challenge of fusing the object of the world with the shape of the letter." V is for Viscous and U is for Underground are among our favorites!
Rachel
The Paul Thurlby's Alphabet would be a great addition to a collection of alphabet concept books for a K or first grade classroom. The book displays uppercase and lowercase letters as well as a word that starts with the letter. The pages are engaging as well as the illustrations. The letters are shaped like the word that is written which makes for great design!
Marie
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nostalgic feeling bold print illustrations. New and wide-ranging selection of words. The letter is incorporated in the illustration of the word chosen to represent the letter. I'm not a fan of alphabet books usually, but this is deceptively simple, boldly graphic and original.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Paul Thurlby has transformed the alphabet into 26 letter characters shaped by items starting with the letter or performing an act starting with that letter. The retro-modern art makes this alphabet book unique.
Heather
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great illustrations in this book. The thought that went across my mind over and over again as I read this was, this would be a great book to buy if you wanted to frame the alphabet. Other than that, the story portion was predictable. I'm giving it 5 based on illustrations only.
Paula
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-school, toddler, abc

Nancy
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super pleasing -- letter by letter, and altogether. Full of the gritty pops and scratches of analog (and it's okay with me if it's a re-created analog).
Rebecca
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thank you, Julie, for recommending this to me! I love it! Paul Thurlby's style is both retro and modern, and his alphabet has the letters taking the form of their subjects, making it unique and fun.
Rebecca
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary
Illustrations are engaging even to adult readers! Words associated with each letter are unique yet remain accessible to young children.
Beth
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Each page reminded me of those old, retro travel posters.
Linda Atkinson
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Incredible and artsy, this is an unforgettable kind of alphabet book.
Katie
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great vocabulary
Franki Sibberson
One of my favorite abc books. Simple and great for early readers. Fun illustrations. A great find.
Colby Sharp
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Might be my favorite alphabet book of all time.
Alice Gold
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-toddler
Love the uniqueness of the illustrations. The pictures made the alphabet all the more interesting from a visual standpoint instead of a phonics point of view.
Michelle
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very easy to read alphabet book. LOVE the artwork. I want a poster of each letter to hang in my home!
Robin
One of the more visually interesting alphabet books I've seen.
Isabelle
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in Paul Thurlby's "Alphabet" look like they'd be at home on a wall in a hip coffee shop, printed out individually and framed. Each illustration, and each letter, gets its own page to shine, and the vibrant colors are expertly placed to draw the eye. Paul Thurlby's modern take on retro designs feel fresh and compelling.

Some of the pages are pretty standard fare—D for dog—and some have a few more surprising inclusions. My first name starts with I, so I unfairly judge all alphabet
Kelly
British graphic artist Paul Thurlby puts forth a compelling alphabet book that my preschoolers love. They see themselves reflected in the pages ("I play soccer!" "My sister does Karate!" "I'm awesome!" "My coat has a zipper!"), they love that they can "read" most of the pages with little or no adult support, and they learn a few new words and cultural concepts in its pages (graffiti, trapeze, the underground). A lovely addition to the classroom library.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Hippopposites
  • The Hidden Alphabet
  • Everything I Need to Know Before I'm Five
  • Bruno Munari's Abc
Paul Thurlby graduated from University of Buckinghamshire and became a full-time illustrator, whose graphic style is instantly recognizable. He is a regular contributor to many publications, including THE GUARDIAN, THE TIMES, THE INDEPENDENT, and THE BIG ISSUE. Paul Thurlby lives in England.
More about Paul Thurlby...