Start by marking “Come Looking for Me (Seasons of War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Come Looking for Me (Seasons of War, #1)

Come Looking for Me

(Seasons of War #1)

In Come Looking for Me, a mysterious young English woman named Emily risks a crossing of the Atlantic during the War of 1812 for the promise of a new adventure in Canada. But she never arrives.

Captured by Captain Trevelyan, a man as cold-blooded as his frigate is menacing, Emily is held prisoner aboard the USS Serendipity. Seeking to save herself, she makes a desperate esc
Published October 12th 2010 by Dundurn (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Come Looking for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Looking for Me

Tobin Elliott
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hard-copy
A few things to get out of the way right off the top. First, I am a friend of Cheryl's, having gone through three Muskoka Novel Marathons with her (the three-day writing event that, in 2004, spawned the first iteration of Come Looking For Me). Second, she is a woman I greatly admire and respect. Third, had I not liked this novel, she never would have known, because I would have quietly removed it from my Goodreads list.

Instead, I get to write a review. So. Come Looking For Me. I'll talk about th
Richard Hope
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Come Looking for Me is one of the finest pieces of historical fiction I have laid my eyes on in years. Its author, Cheryl Cooper, has performed a miraculous juggling act, balancing her extraordinary, sweeping story with the subtleties of character and detail that make Come Looking for Me breathe. The plot is one that includes characters worth rooting for - individuals who evoke real passions and have formidable obstacles. The book's lead, Emily, for example, is a fine mixture of elegance, wit, a ...more
Linda Gamble
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another author to add to my list.
Sherron
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: war-of-1812
4.5
Brenda Benny
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a page turner by a genuinely talented author! Admittedly, a historical fiction novel during the War of 1812 would not have been my "go to" read - but am I ever happy I picked this up! The research that must have gone into the novel is quite amazing, yet it's not burdened with the weight of it. The characters are detailed and well-formed, there is plenty of action, a sweet romance developing, and a plot that just doesn't let up. And it's a series! (Third book coming soon). It has the ...more
Chantale
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A rollicking high seas adventure set during the war of 1812, with a great female protagonist and a cast of humourous and memorable sailors. Molly, a mysterious young Englishwoman sets off for Canada but her ship gets attacked by a US warship and she is taken captive.

During a battle with a British ship the USS Serendipity Emily escapes and is saved by the HMS Isabelle man-of-war ship. Emily's identity remains a mystery and she learns to settle into life on the war ship. However, the British ship
Donald G
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is how your review will appear:

5.0 out of 5 stars Hijinks on the High Seas, Jan. 29 2014
By Donald G Baker - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Looking for Me: A Novel (Paperback)
I took Come Looking For Me to read aboard a Caribbean cruise. The good news is that I loved the book's high seas adventure, salty marine characters and War of 1812 historical setting. The bad news is that I was missing out on current shipboard amenities like swimming pools and theatre performances until I
Libby
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A first novel for Cheryl Cooper and she immediately hit her stride. You won't be able to put this down, a fabulous piece of Historical Fiction. You will come to love Emily the young English woman, who's adventure is painted for you in poignant detail; and loath Mrs. Kettle the ships laundress, who pulls out all the stops to try and make Emily's life pure hell. Fortunately for Emily the ship's Doctor Braden, Biscuit the cook, Fly Austen, and other shipmates immediately become her allies.
Cheryl ma
Fedwa
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Come looking for Me is a very captivating story of a young woman looking for a better life and the risk she had to take to find that life across the Atlantic. A story that kept me at the edge of each page from beginning to end because its such well written that I was so drawn in. Can't wait to be drawn in by another book written by Cheryl Cooper, a promising author. Awesome job Mrs. Cooper !!!!
Susan Greiner
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a really good ocean adventure story set in the war of 1812. Very good historic detail, and great characters. At the beginning I admit being a bit disoriented by the author's switching between using first names and last names for the same characters, but it seemed to get better later on; perhaps I just finally learned everybody's names. Anyway, it was a great story and I found myself wishing for a sequel, which the ending sets things up for.

Oh,just found it--there is a sequel!
Wendy Truscott
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book after hearing the author, Cheryl Cooper, speak. I didn't get around to reading it for a while, but when I did, I was enthralled. As soon as I finished it, I purchased the two sequels, "Second Summer of War" and "Run Red with Blood". Cheryl's deep research and knowledge of the sea battles of the War of 1812 add fascinating colour and detail to this story of a young English princess longing to burst free of society's constraints. Princess Emily, a granddaughter of King George II ...more
Krystyne Taylor-Smith
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
It usually takes me less time to read a book, but 2018 was a strange year. That being said it impacted on how often I could pick up a book to read it. I finally finished this book today! Rich in historical detail and intricately crafted characters, Come Looking for Me made me feel like I was along for the trip. Thank you Cheryl for introducing me to Emily and the crews of each of the ships she sails with during this tale. The other 2 books of this series are on my To Read pile!
Susan
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A swashbuckling story set on the seas during the War of 1812. This book is impeccably researched. This is the first in a series. I'm jumping right into the second one!
Shonna Froebel
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
This novel is 1813, during the War of 1812 (yes it lasted more than just one year). Emily is a young British woman who was travelling to Canada on a merchant vessel. The vessel was attacked by an American ship,the USS Serendipity, and she was kidnapped by the captain, Thomas Trevelyan. She's not sure what he intends and as the book opens, she fears for her future. The book begins with an attack on the ship by a British warship, the HMS Isabelle. On that ship we have the captain James Moreland, o ...more
Gabriele Wills
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a thoroughly enjoyable novel of intrigue, adventure, and poignant romance. The engaging, feisty heroine and a cast of memorable characters, including a somewhat fictionalized brother of Jane Austen, capture the imagination and keep you enthralled. Illuminating a fascinating but lesser known aspect of the War of 1812, this well-paced story, rich with historical details, brings this era of seafaring war to life. I look forward to the sequel!
Cathy Olliffe-Webster
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Go looking – immediately – for Come Looking For Me. It's a beauty of a tale with a beautiful, spirited heroine and a devoted doctor at sea during the War of 1812. Historically, this book MUST be accurate - the details are amazing! More importantly, the story races along. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me hold my breath. A wonderful, wonderful read. I highly recommend!
Ian Clark
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best historical-fiction novels that I've ever read! A perfect blend of action, romance, and very loveable characters. Come Looking for Me draws in its readers with a rich storyline that has a very cinematic feel to it. In fact, this book should be adapted into a film.
I can't wait for the sequel!
Shirley
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great cottage/beach read! There's romance, intrigue and some characters that you just can't help falling in love with.
Joan
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Engaging and memorable! Historical fiction for young adults at its best. Let's see more from Ms. Cooper!
Tanya Evans
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So well written! Loved this story and absolutely fell in love with each and every character. Was sad when it was finished . . . I wanted MORE!!! Can hardly wait for a sequel.
Shasta
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read, but somehow I didn't feel close to the characters. I liked them, but something was missing. I'm still going to read the sequel, mind you! Have to find out what happens!
Jacqueline
Aug 19, 2012
Nancy Diefenderfer
rated it did not like it
Feb 25, 2018
Colleen Logie
Jul 03, 2018
Jacqueline Laferriere
Jul 15, 2012
Cheryl Cooper has degrees in English and Education from Queen's University. A former teacher of the Deaf and a volunteer for the Children's Foundation of Muskoka, she lives in Bracebridge, Ontario. Her "Seasons of War" series is set on the high seas during the War of 1812.

Seasons of War (3 books)
  • Second Summer of War (Seasons of War, #2)
  • Run Red with Blood (Seasons of War, #3)