Start by marking “The Valley of the Wolves (Crónicas de la Torre, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Valley of the Wolves (Crónicas de la Torre, #1)

The Valley of the Wolves

(Crónicas de la torre #1)

Dana attends a school of magic with only one other student. She has a great love only she can see. And only she can unravel these mysteries and become mistress of the Valley of the Wolves.

Ever since Dana was a little girl, Kai has been her best friend and constant companion--even though she's the only one who can see him. Then the mysterious Maestro comes to her farm and o
Published April 1st 2006 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published 2000)

Begonia
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when i was a child (I think I was about 8 or 9 years old).I read it in less than three days.I know,you may say that's not a big deal because the book isn't very long but then,and for a kid of my age,it was more than enough.
The thing is that I really loved this book for many reasons, including the simple but formidable prose,the characters' tenderness,the friendship between Kai and Dana,etc.
Highly recommended,specially for children.

------------------------------------------------
Turdlemary
Jan 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: advisory
Angl_17
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I love it, i recommend it a lot, i need the second part right now!!!!!
Maria
Jan 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
• Title and Author:
El Valle de los Lobos, Laura Gallego
• Main characters:
Dana has been chosen to become a wizard in the wolf valley. Kai, the ghost, best friend of Dana. Marietta, the cooker of the tower. The professor, the director of the academy.
• Summary of the plot:
Dana grew up with her brothers and sisters as one more, however everybody knew that she was different, she saw things that others did not see, and his best friend was a ghost, Kai. His life changed forever when the professor ap
merg
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well, this wasn't the most amazing book ever, but I liked it. The frustrating thing is that it was translated from Spanish six years after being published. And the rest of the series still hasn't been translated. And...I don't speak Spanish. So now I'm rather upset, because it's quite cruel to translate the first book ONLY. Meh. I guess I'll have to learn Spanish so I can read the rest of this series.
Kathleen
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
This book shows that you can love someone even through they are in a different world than you.
Anna
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
When I started reading this book, I had no idea that this was originally in Spanish. If I didn't know that this was translated from Spanish to English, my opinion would be way more harsh. Usually books that have been translated miss out from the literary devices that could have been used. Maybe in Spanish this book would have given me a better feel, however I don't speak Spanish and may never read the actual version. I'm just going to judge the English version. What really annoyed me was the lac ...more
Dorothy Mitchell
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book captivated me on my first reading. I was fascinated by Dana and the ghost boy Kai (afterwards I was desperate to read more May-December ghost romances), and intrigued by Dana's relationship with the mysterious Maestro, who mentors Dana even while Dana slowly realizes that she must not be so in awe of him and that she must find out his secrets and confront him someday. Dana is driven and focused, and her independence and insularity is her biggest weakness that she must overcome, and eve ...more
Rebecca
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I got this one from a good friend, which is the only reason I started reading it although I had so many things to do. I'm glad I did. It's obvious that it's a children's book and it was predictable in parts but it was still very cutely written. No cliffhanger whatsoever at the end and I'm grateful for that since the sequels aren't translated to english.
4YJ4Y
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Romconmarvel
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing
Luna Amber
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so wonderful and captivating! I couldn't stop fantasizing over it.. but the ending was a bit of a disappointment though...
Alicia Margarita
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
i remember reading this in middle school and being shaken to the core. latinx writers reacts only
Elena
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fantasy
(Sigue leyendo para encontrar la reseña en español)

This is a very interesting story and I liked it a lot. We see the story through the point of view of Dana, with only a few scenes showing something that Dana is not seeing.

Kai is probably the most interesting character, because he’s something that doesn’t seem possible, even in a world where magic and dragons exist. He first appears as Dana’s friend and we learn later that nobody else can see him. There are also other mysterious characters, who
Roxane
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first novel I've ever read in Spanish, so this was somewhat of a personal challenge. I'm glad to say that I read all of its 317 pages (and that doesn't include the pages in my dictionary) in less than a week. It just might be back on speaking terms with Spanish. Anyway I am very eager to read the rest of the trilogy as well as the prequel.

Everyone knew that Dana was different though they all treated her the same as everyone else. She never played much with others, spending most of h
Eskana
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: solid-fantasy
So, I originally read this book 8-9 nine years ago, and although I couldn't remember much about it, I remembered it being good and some of the characters. So, I thought, definitely something to re-read.

And I'm very glad I did! "The Valley of the Wolves" is a fantasy, but it is very unique. It centers on Dana, a young girl living on a grange who becomes the apprentice of a magus in the far-off Tower of the Valley of the Wolves. Dana is an alright character- quiet, independent, a little alone- but
Jul 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this because several of my preteens/teens were reading it and I had not heard much about this title.
Dana is a quiet girl who spends all of her time with her friend Kai, a boy her age who can't be seen by anyone but Dana. At a young age, Dana is taken away by a strange man (with the consent of her parents). The man promises to keep her safe and feed her, which is more than her parents are able to guarantee. They travel for several days to the man's residence -- a lonely tower -- where the
Katin
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
The only reason why I read this book was because it was one of my favorites when I was younger. I remember fantasizing about Kai constantly, with his blond hair, green eyes /swoons. To be fair to this book and considering I loved it when I was younger, four stars seemed reasonable. Of course, it's an easy book to read. It didn't delve deep into each character's soul. There wasn't some hidden allusions that bring everything together. It's a very basic, easy-to-understand fantasy plot line.

Basica
Iván
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I started reading because of this book. Its the one that started me in the wonderful world of literature, so I love this book.
Its not one of the usual "starter books" as Harry Potter or so, although the story and the ingredients in the recipe are similar: a world full of magic, simple but different and charming characters, a bit of love, and a mistery or issue to unfold. By the way, the world of the series is not enormous and doesnt have lots of lore and that stuff, but its quite good for young
Heather
This was another Women in Translation month read for me. This book reads like a fairy tale. There is a boy that only the girl can see. Is he real or not?

A magician comes and takes her away because he says that she will be a great magic user someday. He trains her in his castle that is surrounded by vicious wolves who come out at night. After years of training she realizes that she may not be able to leave if she doesn't figure out the secrets of the castle and the valley.

This book is all about
Mari Degard
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
After some research I noticed that this was the author's first published book, which kind of comes as expected after reading it. One of the things that bothered me the most was that the prose was unplanned, bland and explanatory in the least interesting parts. She explains how a girl meets a strange boy and they suddenly become best friends forever in less than four paragraphs and then uses the whole epilogue to provide you with the background story of the villain.
Saying that she was rushing th
Clara
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ever since Dana was little, she's had a best friend Kai. As she grows older, she starts to come to the conclusion that no one else but her can see him. One day, a man comes to her house to take her away so she can study with him and become a magician. She goes, and Kai, as always, goes with her. When she realizes that Kai is a ghost, and that things aren't all as they seem, she starts to try and figure them out, and stumbles across a mysterious story that may help her save her own life.
I've rea
Natalie
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I checked this book out of the library back when it first came out in English; it held me absolutely spellbound. So much so that three years later, I spent hours searching the library so I could read it again. Dana has a friend named Kai that no one else can see. Everyone assumes he isn't real, but one day, the Maestro offers her a school to attend; he can see Kai, too.

The farm scenes at the beginning, when it is just Dana and Kai, were the most beautiful for me; I loved envisioning her life. Th
Kristian
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story starts with the main character, Dana as a small child whose friend, Kai, is someone only she can see. A circumstance that at first brings about fear and scorn from others, may be the reason why a magician has taken an interest in her, and offers to teacher her. Spanning the years from childhood to seeing Dana as a young woman, not everything is as it seems. Can she and Kai unravel the mystery of her new home?

Because of the shifts in time, some of Dana's changes in character can seem a
Carrie
Apr 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carrie by: Saybaar
Shelves: fantasy
Truly brilliant. The writing (well... the translator's writing, at least) is great. "The Valley of the Wolves" is a great fast-moving and compelling story filled with magic and mystery.
For some reason I can't think of anything else to say... except to complain about Fenris, because that name is overused. And, if you know anything about Norse mythology, you might find this name to be at least a bit of a giveaway of what Fenris does later. Which is sad, because it kind of spoiled the surprise for
Renee
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Since the age of 6, Dana has been able to see Kia - a boy that no one else can see or hear. A few years later, a sorcerer takes Dana as his apprentice. They travel to a tower in a valley filled with vicious wolves where for the next five years Dana learns magic. Before her final magic test, a golden lady appears and tells her to ‘find the unicorn.’ The mysteries of the golden lady, the valley, the sorcerer, a fellow apprentice and Kia’s true identity drive the plot to a startling conclusion. Dan ...more
Loran (Algonquiins)
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I chanced upon this book once a long time ago in my local library and it has stayed with me ever since. I cannot begin to describe how magical this book was. It had everything in it that my little kid self loved - elves, magic, adventure, love! And I still love this book as much today as I did back then. The characters are all so wonderful and the story is just fabulous. It makes me sad that the other books in the series were never translated and I will never get a chance to read them. I recomme ...more
Francesca Tubito
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorite
I first read this book in school with my class and I thought it was so good that I bought my own so I could read it again at home! This book is about a girl who becomes a sorcerers apprentice who understands how to survive without her family. She has a friend who only she can see....
I think this book is a very good book for people aged 10+! Remember.... GREAT BOOK!
Mariana
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Like Harry Potter's books "El Valle de los Lobos" really make you live for a time a second childhood. It is truly magic. I loved all the characters specially Kai and Dana. Fenris was a little too aloof for my taste but that it was his nature. I'm looking forward for the rest of this really great series.
Sara Martínez Pérez-Tomé
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it

I really enjoyed reading it again, the last time was like 10 years ago.
I loved the character of Kai, it was childish, but when it was required, he was like an adult, and you could see the difference.
Also, i liked the way to follow the mysteries around the Tower.

• La sombra de la luna (El ciclo de la luna roja, #3)
  • El desierto de hielo (La Guerra de las Brujas, #2)
  • Cielo rojo
  • El jardín de las hadas sin sueño (El bosque, #2)
  • Los versos del destino (Cuentos de Bereth, #3)
  • Skulduggery Pleasant #1-4: Skulduggery Pleasant, Playing with Fire, the Faceless Ones, Dark Days (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1-4)
  • El Encanto de la Oscuridad (Fairy Oak, #2)
  • Shadow of the Dragon: Kira
  • Mejor Manolo (Manolito Gafotas, #8)
  • El festín de la muerte
  • The Castings Trilogy (Castings, #1-3)
  • Contra la fuerza del viento (Ciclo de Dreaming Spires, #2)
  • Das Drachentor
Laura Gallego García is a Spanish author of fantasy and children's books. She studied Spanish Philology at the University of Valencia, and is currently working on her doctoral thesis.

Her first novel, at the age of 21, was published because she won the Barco de Vapor literature prize and still is one of her most recognizable works: Finis Mundi. After that, her now stablished literary career began.

Crónicas de la torre (4 books)
  • La maldición del maestro (Crónicas de la torre, #2)
  • La llamada de los muertos (Crónicas De La Torre, #3)
  • Fenris, el elfo (Crónicas de la Torre, #4)
“Vive muchos años... Vive intensamente, vivelo todo... Vive por mi la vida que yo no pude vivir.

Kai”
71 likes
“Existo en un plano diferente al tuyo, podemos estar eternamente juntos y eternamente separados''

Kai”