Start by marking “The Course of True Love” as Want to Read:
The Course of True Love

The Course of True Love

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  257 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Published June 7th 2011 by Harlequin (first published August 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Course of True Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Course of True Love

Linda
When not to read a romance by Betty Neels.

1. If you are hungry.
2. If it is a cold, rainy day.
3. If you haven’t gone shopping for clothes for yourself in over a year.
4. If you don’t like old-fashion romances: light kisses only or a buss on the cheek.
5. If you had a recent fight with your spouse, boyfriend or significant other.
6. If you have an aversion to the medical field.
7. If you can’t tolerate dominant men who have communication issues.
8. If you are a staunch women’s rights feminist.

Betty Ne
Leona
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one goes into my all time favorite Betty bucket.

The hero falls hard and fast and as a reader you are not confused about his motives. He is out to get the "gel" and it's all about watching him "win" her love. He was one smoooooth operator. He was also a master manipulator and our poor heroine never stood a chance. But she does go down swinging. Though, Mr Smooth is cool, sophisticated and very alpha, he isn't the obnoxious sort. In fact, he is quite caring, kind and just plain delicious.

Th
Nefise
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nefise by: Linda
3.5 stars.

It's important to take into consideration when the book was written. Thus, you can tolerate somethings and some scenes make a sense too.

Firstly, I want to thank you Betty Neels, however she's not alive anymore, for decided to write and created enjoyable stories for liadies reading romantic stuff like us.

I don't know what should I tell about the book. What I remember is that they always ate or drunk somethings, they had good time together, even so much years ago London had a traffic pro
Pamela Shropshire
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tgb
Luli
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Luli by: Linda
3.5 stars.
Esta historia ha sido como un agradable paseo. Ha sido lenta, mundana, prácticamente contada a modo de diario y entretenida aunque no vigorizante.
Si estás interesado/a en leerla deberías echarle un vistazo a la reseña de Linda , y seguir sus consejos, porque los protagonistas están todo el tiempo comiendo, de compras o trabajando en el hospital y además el protagonista es, por decirlo suavemente, un hombre de su tiempo: poco hablador y sabedor de tus necesidades antes que tú misma…la p
KC

Right from the start, Claribel and Marc rubbed each other the wrong way. That's because they wanted to rub each other in other ways if you know what I mean. But, misunderstandings happened: she thought he's arrogant and terse, he thought she didn't like him (she did, but she didn't want to), making him more terse, which made her like him less, which made him more terse which. . . . It's a cycle. Claribel also believed Marc was out of her league even though it was obvious he was smitten.
Tishke
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He is one manipulative, smart character. She is like a deer caught by the headlight and doesn't know how to run. I even wondered how much of Irma's attention and pursuit was engineered by the good old doctor. She knew where to find them at any time, any where... very convenient. What made me really like this story was the bombing attack that took place at the hospital and it's aftermath.
Kathy
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my all time favorite Betty Neel's books. I loved the fact that the heroine is self reliant, hardworking and modest. The really nice part about the book was watching the hero - who loves Claribel from the start - "chase" after her waiting patiently for her to realize what a great catch he is. It is a very, very heartwarming and sweet story.
Fiona Marsden
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the later stories by this author. The heroine Claribel is a Physiotherapist. As time passed Betty wrote less hospital based romances, possibly because so much had changed since her own retirement from nursing. Marc van Borsele is one of our typical Dutch heroes with dark hair with a sprinkling of grey.

They are already friends, though Claribel is resistant, when they assist at an accident and Irma is introduced into their lives. Irma takes a shine to Marc and begins stalking him s
Morina Lanser
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-challenge
A sweet love story...
Teresa
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic!

The very first romance I ever read was written by Betty Neels.....and I was in the 7th grade. Forty some years later I can still find the same enjoyment.
Robin
Briefly, part of this is from another review, but will explain my bias a little. [Ok, before I go into my review, I feel I have to be 100% honest with you. I am a huge - make that HUGE Betty Neels fan. I discovered her when I was 10 or 11 years old. Over the years, I have collected every Betty Neels novel ever in print. Even special ordering them all the way from England because I was having difficulty finding them over here in the States.]

OVERALL: 4 1/2 STARS

Story/Plot: 5 - Having read any num
Cecilia
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Back cover blurb:
She didn't know the rules of engagement

Getting engaged to Marc van Borsele was the last thing Claribel wanted. Marc was the most annoying and exasperating man she had ever met! But, as the engagement was only pretense and she did owe Marc a favor, Claribel agreed. She soon discovered that make-believe can come true, even if you don't want it to! Before she knew it, Claribel found herself head over heels in love with her pretend fiancé. The course of true love never did run smoot
Anuradha
Oh, this is one pushy hero. He wants the girl, he goes after what he wants with single minded purpose - cajoling, flirting, manipulating the girl mercilessly. She is a just a timid physiotherapist and he is of course a hot shot doctor - like in any Betty Neels story. She stands no chance of resisting him.

I wonder if she would have fallen for him if dint bull doze his way into her life like this. Anyway, the ends justify the means, he gets her. There is an inconsequential other woman and a small
Teri-K
This is one of my favorite Neels books. It has everything I like in her books - a strong, capable heroine with a supportive family; a hero who's genuinely nice; some humor in their relationship; and descriptions of travel, lovely homes, gardens, clothes and food. There's also a decent plot, for those who want such a thing. lol

I totally enjoyed reading this, to the point that someone in the table across from me at the restaurant commented, "It must be a good book." I agreed - indeed it is.
Viivika Tamm
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kaasaegne
Järskude maneeridega Hollandi kirurg hakkab tähelepanu pöörama asjalikule haiglaõele (füsioterapeutile). Claribel on küllusliku figuuri ning pikkusega õnnistatud kaunitar, kel kavaleridest puudust pole. Marc van Borsele on aga segaseid signaale saatev ebaviisakas mees, kelle plaanidega Claribel leiab end ikka ja jälle kaasa minemas.

Huvitav pilguheit olustikku, intrigeeriv süžee, aga mitte eriti inspireeriv armastuslugu.
Charlotte
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favourite Betty Neels. I read it many years ago, in my teens, and somehow never forgot the opening line about March coming in like a lamb and going out like a lion. I rather liked the Doctor (her heroes are always Dutch Doctors), he was formidable in getting his way, without ever seeming arrogant (a complaint I frequently had about Harlequin heroes back when they were the mainstay of my romance novel reading).
Sandie Mixa
I would give it a 3.5. I liked it, though it dragged through the middle for me. It was frustrating to figure out what the hero's style of courtship was and if he was even interested in the heroine. Lots of tea making and every day living details to fill the pages.
Lennie Tejada
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been 20 years when I bought this book in 1994 (I was in 3rd year of high school) and I still remember the first sentence of the story "March was raining exactly as it should." And to some point this book has had an impact on my writing style as well.
Grannyvango
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice light romance
Tonya Warner
Excellent as always!
Patricia schmit
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Neels Read

However, the descriptions of the food and Holland are the best parts. "He" is a bit too bosy, while "she" is a bit too unbelievable......
Jules cressall
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a sweet old fashioned romance, very dated but nice!
Allison
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite sweet!
Mela
First of all it was something new. It was a clean romance but it took place, I think, in 1970s, 80s and it was a little bizarre and surprising. Don't get me wrong, I liked it. Nonetheless, I had a odd feeling. I can't explain it. I think I have a hard time to believe in the story, I mean, that it could have take place for real.

But again, I liked, as Leona wrote wrote, that "The hero falls hard and fast and as a reader you are not confused about his motives. He is out to get the "gel" and it's al
Kerry
Aug 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lady-authors, amor
i hate this book so much
Barb in Maryland
I am writing this several years after I last read it. I had to go back and re-read the marvelous review on The Uncrushable Jersey Dress to refresh my memory.
Net take--Marc's a charmer, Claribel (poor name choice!) is rather slow on the uptake re: our Rich Dutch Doctor' intentions. Irma, the Other Woman, is a stalker of, not a girl friend of, the RDD.
Nice, but it just didn't stick in my memory, except for the ending where she gets stuck at the top of the tower, too frightened of the height to com
Juniebgood
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scrib_lib
A pleasant read with a delicious H and a cat-loving spinster (at 28) h. The only 'misunderstanding' is how out of touch the h is with her feelings; the H knows what he wants and he patiently waits for the h to get a clue.
ida annette johnson
May 05, 2017
Ibreeze Seerally
Feb 24, 2013
  • A Case of Poisons (Anthony Maxwell #1)
  • Yang Hadir Kemudian / The Husband Assignment
  • The Greek Boss's Bride
  • His Forbidden Bride
  • Besieged
  • House of Mirrors
  • The Sister Swap
  • Mistress for a Month
  • Sweet Revenge Or Seduction (Sebening Kristal) (A Treacherous Seduction, Buku 3)
  • The Sicilian Surrender - Terpikat Sang Pria Sisilia
  • Shaman King, Vol. 6: Road Trip to Izumo
  • Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • Bedded by Blackmail
  • Lady Whilton's Wedding
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and Stat ...more
More about Betty Neels...

“she spun round to face him, suddenly alight with happiness—a lovely feeling, she thought bemusedly, like going out of doors very early on a summer morning or going home after a hard week’s work and opening the kitchen door and seeing her mother—a lovely complete feeling in which content and delight and joy were nicely mixed.” 0 likes