Start by marking “British Flash: A revealing collection of short LGBT fiction” as Want to Read:
British Flash: A revealing collection of short LGBT fiction

British Flash: A revealing collection of short LGBT fiction

Enjoy this entertaining collection of flash fiction stories, and their short and sweet expression of what it means to be queer in Britain, past and present. All these stories reflect the iconic sights and national character of the British Isles: a taste of our idiosyncrasies and eccentricities, but also an unashamed representation of the love, loyalty and laughter of our p ...more
Published June 16th 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about British Flash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about British Flash

Start your review of British Flash: A revealing collection of short LGBT fiction
Chris
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Delightful collection of very short stories in a wide assortment of genres, united by the common theme of being British and gay (be it male or female). I did skip some of the stories that weren't to my taste, but I really enjoyed the ones I read and wished many of them were longer - particularly the one about the rook shifter. :)
Kassa
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
British Flash is a collection of flash fiction stories – just a few pages each – that center on being gay and British. There are 21 stories with 16 m/m, 3 f/f, 1 m/m/f, and one gender bending story. So there truly is a wide range of stories for everyone but the collection will still appeal most to m/m fans. This is an especially good collection if you’re looking to taste various authors you haven’t tried before. I found those authors I usually quite like to shine very well here while a few surpr ...more
Nicky
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it
A collection of short stories, all centred round the theme of being British and gay, available for free here. It's quite a diverse collection, with quite a few different genres. Some of the stories are joyous, celebratory of lives lived together; others are sadder and tinged with regret. At least one deals with polyamory, and gender issues, and one of them is fantasy, including a were-rook.

All in all, there's probably something to please everyone, and it's a bit like a taster package -- lets you
Sheri
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-r-e-e
Hot and cold. Cluster of quickies. Toe dipping.

A collection of short stories, and by short I mean a handful of pages, by various authors.
Some m/m.
Some f/f/.
Some m/m/f.
I found a few hilarious and clever, I found a few confusing or plain weird, and a few I would have adored a novella or even a decent novel. A great way to taste a dozen authors at once.
All and all it was fun and a decent way to spend a pinch of your time. Some barely 2 stars, yet a couple were almost solid 4 stars. Will settle on
Tam
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, anthology
This is a small collection of flash fiction (2-3 pages each) with a distinctly British flavour. I won't go into each one, but it's free so you have no excuse not to pick it up yourself. Some are quirky and amusing, some are memories of love lost, some tackle more serious themes. There are historicals, contemporaries and even a very appropriate paranormal with a perfect ending to the whole anthology. There are also a couple of f/f and and m/m/f so if you wanted to try one of those but didn't want ...more
Serena Yates
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is an great collection of short-short stories, all centered around being British. Reading it will give you an impression of the writing styles of quite a few British GLBTQ writers - and it's free! Even though one of the stories is mine (and I'm not rating that), I still think this anthology as a whole deserves five stars.
Deeze
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was ok

A couple of sweet little gems that I would love to read more on are hidden among these little snippets.

Giving it Up by Josephine Myles was fun and sweet.

Thoughts in Spring by Mara Ismine was perhaps my favourite. Shifter with a difference.

Reunion by Lisa Worrall Predictable but still one of my favourite scenarios.

Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
~~~

A collection of lgbt romance flash stories (micro shorts). Highly Recommended!

This was great fun and also deeply moving in places. There wasn't a single story that I didn't care for and some of the writing was exceptional. What a delightful way to get to read many authors I've been meaning to try.

Not to be missed!

Free to d/l at Rainbow eBooks:

~~~

Take a look at my Male/Male Romance Book Blog:

description

Mara Ismine
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I do have a story in this anthology, but I am rating the others not mine!

This is a great collection and covers a wide range of GLBT genres in very short bites of around a thousand words. There is something here for everyone, and naturally it is unlikely that all the stories will appeal to everyone.

This is a free download so there isn't the 'out of pocket' feeling over those that aren't to your taste. Give it a try for that fantastic cover if nothing else! :)
Lady*M
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
British Flash, as the name suggests, reads like hors d'oeuvres of fiction - the offerings are yummy, but they leave you wanting more. I know it made my wish list longer, since I added a couple of books written by these authors to it. The anthology is diverse and everyone should find something for themselves, which is the best recommendation for it.
Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews
I enjoyed some of the stories much more than others but all together I liked it.
Kay Berrisford
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous selection, and a great introduction to a group of great writers. It made me want to read more of all of their work - lots to add to the 'to read' list then!!!
Don Bradshaw
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice collection. Free on jmsbooks.com
Eva Müller
Apr 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: queer-characters

So what it means to be queer in Britain is that you meet random good-looking strangers, are attracted to them and discover quickly that the attraction is mutual (description of follow-up sex is optional) or you find yourself attracted to your best friend and discover the attraction is mutual (description of follow-up sex is optional) or meet
K.Z. Snow
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love flash fiction. It's similar to an amuse bouche in the culinary world -- a tiny, teasing sample of the chef's skill.

What a treat this literary sampler platter is, beginning with Alex Beecroft's cleverly appropriate cover. The stories range from poignant to playful (loved the wererooks!) and most display meticulous attention to detail and nuance. And therein lies the success or failure of flash. Because each piece offers a glimpse at something -- in this case, relationships -- rather than a
France-Andrée
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really quick reads around 10 pages each. All the stories are very good, I really enjoyed this. What I appreciated was that each story has a short (a sentence or two) synopsis in the index. I especially liked the story "Commission and Omission" by Charlie Cochrane which is about someone remembering is war years, I am looking forward to reading some more fiction from this author. I also really liked "Reunion" by Lisa Worrall because it is about a class reunion and I don't know why those are always ...more
Lil' Grogan
Rating is for work as a whole, not individual stories. The two stories I enjoyed were by Mara Ismine and Elin Gregory - good story telling and writing flow.

Unfortunately, I was bored by most of the stories, which only left me time to pick at the writing. I'm not generally a fan of slice of life stories (which these mainly were) and prefer those with intent.

Useful for a sampler of authors since it's free. Though, at the end, I wonder if it didn't turn me off more of them since there is only one
John Carter
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
A very mixed bag, of course, as anthologies always—almost by definition—are. Three levels of “heat” as determined by the editors (not always by clear criteria) and an assortment of twosomes and threesomes. And two stories where the gender of the narrator is not at all obvious (or even guessable). Still, all in all, worth a little Quality Personal Time™.
Yvonne
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, ebook, m-m, anthology
Some of the stories were really great and left me wanting for more - or made me imagine what would happen next. But as in most anthologies, there were stories I didn't like at all - so overall just a 3 star rating, even if some of the stories certainly deserved 4 or even 5
LoriO.
"Thoughts of Spring" by Mara Ismine: 2 stars, MM, Paranormal and way to short!
Lisa Worrall
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It was an honour to be included in this fabulously diverse collection of stories. They are all fabulously written and strike the right chord of sadness, comedy and eroticism. Love it !
Anja
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, free-ebook, c, w-gr
I only liked a couple of the stories but learned which authors to avoid in future and who to try again.
Aija
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good! Enjoyed at least five stories immensely (favourite being Yesterday upon the Stair by Erastes), others were good fun, too. Might even reread one day. :)
Lizabeth Tucker
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, lgbt, m-m, collections, f-f
A collection of LGBT short stories from British writers. Actually "flash" is a good term for this collection as most of the stories barely qualify as drabbles. All you really get with the majority of the writers' talents. 3.5 out of 5.

"The Worst Pub in London" by JL Merrow. m/m Josh was just passing time during his shift at the Forlorn Hop, a virtually deserted pub, when Devlin walked in. A great start, but way too short. Reads like a first chapter, not a complete story. 3.5 out of 5.

"Our Place"
eva
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
i thought this wouldn't reach the 3 stars for me, but the concept of some of these stories was actually pretty good and interesting. however, i guess i was expecting them to be longer -these are way too short to properly get into- and a little more diversity -esp considering the number of female authors (presumably wlw)- instead of the predominant mlm.
Adele Steiner
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Several authors here that I read & enjoy, but this collection is just kinda of meh. Thoughts In Spring by Mara Ismine was my favorite & really stands out from the rest. It's an adorable & unique little story that I'd give 4 stars on it's own, 5 if it were developed more. There were no absolute losers in the lot, but I doubt I'll remember anything besides Thoughts. ...more
Nicolas J
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved this collection of stories. Different sets of emotions are created in the mind of the reader (from sadness to happiness). And as a non native English speaker I found it quite easy to understand. I recommend it!
DC
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Quite frankly I was bored. This wasn’t “flash fiction” to me but rather like a sampler of the various authors’ writing styles. Each of these so-called stories read merely as prologues or chapter 1s in search of the rest of the chapters.
Gerald Sessions
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A free read with great author info after each story. A great collection of stories not a dud in the bunch. A great variety of stories.
BitWrangler
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actually 3 1/2 stars, but I rounded up. It was an excellent take-along, as the short stories filled in the blank spots while waiting (bank, check-out lines, car wash, etc.)

• Toy Story
  • Making Camp
  • Barrett & Ivan (Something About Him, #3)
  • Kissing Our Loves (Valentine's Inc., #6)
  • The Vampire and the Virgin (Love at Stake, #8)
  • What Chris Wants (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #4.5)
  • First Kiss
  • That Feathered Menace
  • Without Sin
  • Blue Star Boy
  • Home Sweet Home
  • So We Meet-Cute Again
  • Sleigh Duty
  • Ship Work (Valentine's Inc. Cruises, #1)
  • Ghost Walk
  • First Time Up (Living Legends #3)
  • Rainbows in Sea Glass
  • Triumph (Silver Lake #1)
English through and through, Josephine Myles is addicted to tea and busy cultivating a reputation for eccentricity. She writes gay erotica and romance, but finds the erotica keeps cuddling up to the romance, and the romance keeps corrupting the erotica. She blames her rebellious muse but he never listens to her anyway, no matter how much she threatens him with a big stick. She's beginning to suspe ...more