Start by marking “Rebellion (The Tainted Realm, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rebellion (The Tainted Realm, #2)

Rebellion

(The Tainted Realm #2)

HIGHTSPALL IS DYING.

Every year the winters worsen, and the realm’s protective magic disappeared with the traitor-king, Lyf, two thousand years ago. Now Lyf is back, bent on wiping Hightspall off the map and rebuilding his ancient land anew.

A slave orphaned by Lyf, Tali holds the key to saving the realm – or destroying it. Can she stop him before he tears Hightspall apart,
Paperback, First edition, trade paperback, 540 pages
Published October 1st 2012 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Rebellion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebellion

Shaheen
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This stunning sequel surpassed all my expectations and left me in awe of Irvine’s writing and world building skills. As usual, the build up is paced slowly, but the climax speeds along, ending with a cliffhanger that will distress all readers!

The rebellion that the Hightspallers stage after their the enormous defeats at the hands of the Cythonians in Vengeance forms the major plot line for this book. The world building is amazing – the cultures, values, and traditions of both peoples are well re
Tony
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Introduction

Rebellion follows directly on from Vengeance and while there's a solid 'previously in the Tainted Realms' preface this is not a book you'll get the best out of if you've not read Vengeance first. If you're reading this review (and therefore have at least a passing interest in heroic fantasy) then you should pick up Vengeance if you haven't as yet. Believe me you wont be disappointed.

Review

Rebellion features more absolutely stunning imagery, which somehow reaches greater heights than
Ronny
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
It, like the first book, has a lot going for it (worldbuilding and characters are good), but there's just something in how it all fits together, and the amount of leaps of intuition/knowledge among characters etc that just makes me never really engage with the characters and story, which is a pity.
Still liked it though.
Sasha
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ok there is only 1 thing I have to say about this book.
PLEASE! OH PLEASE DON'T KILL TOBRY! HE IS YOUR FRIEND!
Oh and 5 stars because the book is awesome! So awesome that I was jumping up and down when my mum brought it home for me. :)
Hayley
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Didnt enjoy as much as the first, and some of the characters traits and plot lines didnt flow as smoothly as I thought they could. I was happy to see Rix mature and develop, and the relationships between characters also grow.
April
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites
Rebellion is the second book in the Tainted Realm Trilogy, and continues the story of a dying land torn apart by vengeful war. The first novel, Vengeance, was chock full of anticipation, action, and emotional twists and turns. Irvine does not disappoint in this follow up installment.

Tali is the first slave to escape from underground Cython since her ancestors were taken in exchange for a ransom that was never paid. The Cythonians, now at war with Hightspall, are strict and brutal masters. Tali h
Hauwa M.
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I want to love this book so bad but I'm really can't when every other chapter makes me want to gouge my eyes out. I'm yet to meet a single character who doesn't inevitably make the stupidest mistakes despite the fact EVERYONE else told them not to. Rix; I don't even know where to start, he had to be the worst protagonist ever in a book, almost every single decision he makes makes everything worse, from the instant he went hunting with Tobry in book one to allowing the chancellor parade him durin ...more
Curtis
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ok so straight up, I loved it. An absolutely brilliant sequel to Vengence. Irvine continues to astound me with his ability to build tension. I'll try not to spoil the book too much if you havn't read it yet.

In the first book we saw great world and character development and a start to the main plot which is picked up smoothly here and develops it brilliantly. Plenty of page turning, edge-of-your-seat action that will keep you attention far as long as you can keep you eyes open or you finish it.

W
Ruth
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spec-fic
c2012: FWFTB: magic, traitor-king, Hightspall, rebuilding, key. Hallelujah, at last an author with the presence of mind to provide the reader with a "what has gone before". We have maps, lists of characters and a glossary - brilliant. Because of the précis, it was so easy to free fall into the plot and world. I hesitate to say this - but I do think that some bits were a bit longer than they had to be. The dialogue felt appropriate but some of the actions did bewilder me somewhat - however, that ...more
Toast Engelbrecht
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked how much it made me wonder and think about what is happening and what was yet to come as well as what had already come to pass. I also liked the geography of the land and the map to accompany it, however I would have prefered that Ian did not include time. The setting is way before clocks and time were even made and so they could not have been so accurate on time. They might have had a sundial and have been able to tell the hours of the day but not the minutes and seconds. Otherwi ...more
David Rose
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Epic fantasy with an opening line that includes a character saying, "you gotta get up". Ends on a cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers, leaving me with the feeling that the choice of ending was entirely mercenary. Well-written meaty dark fantasy in between, with occasional lapses, as far as I was concerned, into modern phrasing and some odd name choices. Should be four stars, but I can only give it three. Nonetheless, a good, gripping read with some very good characters among the cast.
Pia Langub villalon
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
‘Rebellion’ by Ian Irvine is the second in his ‘Tainted Realm’. Somehow I enjoyed this more than the first. It slowly builds with climax making the ending more brutal.

What I enjoy about this series is its complexity and its unpredictability. You just don't know what will happen next.

Can't wait to read the 3rd one, Justice, but I also don't want it to end!
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Sara Douglass 'Book Series' Award. This entry is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I won't be recording my thoughts (if I choose to) here until after the AA are over.
Amanda
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I'm a bit late in writing a review - can't quite remember it, but the story and writing style from Book 1 continued and it was incredible. The charecters were very well discribed and created, and the scenery descriptions were amazing. I'm fairly sure Rebellion featured in my dreams.
Jack Kenley-wright
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Straight out of the gate and we're back into the thick of it with characters that get deeper and better by the page. Gripping action scenes that leave you page turning well into the wee hours and leave you still wanting more. One of Irvine's harder books to put down. Brilliant
Dawn
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As usual Mr Irvine does not disappoint . His world building skills, narration and attention to detail draws you in and leaves you wondering what happens next. I would advise anyone reading this to read Vengeance first. Imaginative writing as always .
D.C. Daines
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, after the first instalment I did not think I could be more on the edge of my seat or the characters tortured to extremes. This edition ups the level of danger, thrills, disappointment and continues to develop awesome characters only killing a few dozen ;)
Joy
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked everything except the ending! Now I have to find the sequel, Justice, to see if it makes up for it. Beautifully written. The books make you feel like you are there(even though it is not real) and to care what happens to the characters.
MsEleanorMae
Not my cup of tea.
Andrew Holden
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I feel like this book lost its way a bit. The story is getting a bit too convoluted. I'm hoping the third book bounces back.
Grant
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Was very good, but once again it was a race to the finish line with everything happening at once. Felt like the end of season cliff hanger associated with Showtime
Alistair Geddes
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable middle novel.
Trilby Johnson
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this 2nd book. The situation seems so desperate. As soon as I finished I rushed out to get the next one.
Aug 10, 2013
rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2016
Pradyumna Brahmandam
May 24, 2015
  • The Exiled Blade (The Assassini, #3)
  • Seven Princes (Books of the Shaper, #1)
  • Exogene (The Subterrene War, #2)
  • The Diviner
  • The Grass King's Concubine
  • Stands a Shadow (The Heart of the World, #2)
  • Shadowborn (Darkborn Trilogy, #3)
  • Where Have You Been?
  • The Blood in the Beginning (Ava Sykes, #1)
  • Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (Burton & Swinburne, #3)
  • The Traitor's Daughter (The Veiled Isles Trilogy, #1)
  • Drama Is Her Middle Name (The Ritz Harper Chronicles Vol. 1)
  • The Girl King
  • Darkness Descending (Vampire Armageddon, #1)
  • North Star Guide Me Home (Children of the Black Sun #3)
  • Wolves in Winter
  • Inferno (Orcs: Bad Blood, #3)
  • Version 43
I'm an Australian author of 32 novels, mainly fantasy. They include the bestselling Three Worlds epic fantasy sequence, which has sold over a million print copies. It comprises The View from the Mirror quartet, The Well of Echoes quartet and The Song of the Tears trilogy. I’m currently writing The Gates of Good and Evil, the long-awaited sequel to The View from the Mirror. Book 2, The Fatal Gate, ...more

The Tainted Realm (3 books)
  • Vengeance (The Tainted Realm #1)
  • Justice