Start by marking “In My Sister's Shoes” as Want to Read:
In My Sister's Shoes

In My Sister's Shoes

In one of the many fantastic reviews for Sinéad Moriarty's fourth novel, In My Sister's Shoes, the reviewer praised Sinéad's ability to apply 'the light tender touch to dark, painful subjects'. It's a perfect description of how Sinéad tells the story of a younger sister stepping in to help out when her older sister is diagnosed with cancer. In a similar way to Marian Keyes

Published (first published January 1st 2007)

Hannah
I realised about half way in that I'd read this book before, and from memory I'd rather enjoyed it. But as with all things, knowing the ending can be a bit of a spoiler. I persisted nonetheless.

This time round, I actually found some of the characters to be rather annoying - but probably not the ones you think! I identified with Kate (small town girl, can't wait to escape) and as a result I found her families' (namely her father's) insistence that she 'settle down' and 'find a man to lok after h
Rebecca
Nov 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
I didn't really rate this book, I thought it was super repetitive and there were very few likeable characters. I didn't like Kate or Mark, I didn't like that the twins were essentially abusive and got away with it, and basically every conversation with her dad was either "Derek you'll be sorting your life out when you're 27!" or "Kate why aren't you married yet?" Just overall did not enjoy the book at all.
Meg
Jul 03, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Writing is like that of a six year old. Seriously made me want to pull my hair out.
Sue
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I need to say, that I enjoyed this book. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it. I expected a bit of a heart rendering tale of one sister giving up her life for another sister who has been diagnosed with cancer. However although that part is true, it reads more like a chick lit, with a large proportion of of it dedicated to relationships.
Sue Lilley
Enjoyable but I felt it couldn’t quite decide whether it was meant to be serious or amusing. I could’ve done without so much medical detail but it was well done. My favourites were Gonzo and Derek. Their double-act brightened every scene they were in.
June Jones
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.
Michelle
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Sinead Moriarty, she writes in such a way that you can't help putting yourself in the characters shoes and thinking what if...
Nicola S
The book wasn't too bad but I wasn't overwhelmed by it sadly
Julie
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly standard chick lit
Niamh Griffin
Ah, Sinead Moriarty is wonderful at weaving contemporary stories with interesting characters, some of whom you'll love and others you'll love to hate. I gobbled up this novel on holidays.
Hannah Polley
I enjoyed this book and got through it quickly, however, I wasn't really sure what the message of the book was or if I appreciated it.

The main character of the book is Kate, a highly ambitious TV presenter who moved from Dublin to London. Just as Kate gets a big break, her sister gets cancer and she has to move back to Dublin to take care of her sister and her twin nephews. This is fine and it is the right decision for Kate to move back, especially as her sister gave up a lot of her childhood t
Aileen
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate O’Brien is 30 she is a Television presenter and has just got her
own show in London.
Fiona is Kate sister she is married to Mark and they have twin boys
(aged 5), and a dog.
Something happens to Fiona and Marks asks Kate to return to Dublin to
care for her sister and the boys, after all Fiona brought Kate and her
brother up after their mother dying when they were young.
Kate reluctantly returns to Dublin to care for her sister and the
twins, but Kate is no super nanny or domestic goddess so ho
Karen ⊰✿
Despite being a little predictable and containing some stereotypes, I found this an enjoyable read. Mainly due to the Irish humour and the development of the characters.

Kate, whose mother died of breast cancer when she was quite young, is just on the turning point of her media career in London when she discovers her older sister has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Her sister's husband is a mathematics professor who has no time to look after their children and so they beg Kate to come back to
Mona Ingram
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some authors have the ability to make people and situations come alive...and Sinéad Moriarty is one of them.
I bought In My Sister’s Shoes a few weeks ago. Yes, it’s a physical book; I didn’t want to forget how they feel.
In this delightful story, Kate is emotionally blackmailed into giving up her shiny new presenter job in London to go home to Dublin and take care of her sister’s two children, while her sister undergoes chemotherapy treatments.
By the time I’d read just a few chapters, I knew
Diana
Books about diseases are often sad and I use to cry a lot while I read them. It did not happen this time and I was happy because of that. Weird, right? The story revolves about the family and their difficulties in this period of their life. I loved that they were strong and capable. The author manages to describe very well cancer and the stages you get in chemotherapy and I enjoyed that since I am a med student. The characters were well developed and I cared for them.
I recommend this book to th
Ciera Legue
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: i would reccomend it to anyone who love alot of sex in books
their is a lot of sex things and for a teenager this is way to much for them to be reading and basically the ending is not their because it was a cliff hanger. It would have been better if it wasn't so much sex talk and that she told us if Fiona beat her cancer, how the reality show of derek and gonzo went, if kate ever had kids and that her relationship with sam worked out. I also feel that we should have learnt what happened with the dad after the show started.
Zarina
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful novel by Sinead Moriarty. I felt very strong for the characters in this one, which wasn't always a good thing (as I really want to slap some sense into the brother-in-law pretty much every single time he was present in the book) but it does mean that Moriarty managed to write her characters and story lines so realistically and emotionally that it feels like the reader is a part of it all.
Jackie Mceachern
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really loved this story about an Irish family facing a medical crisis. Primarily, it's the story of one sister putting her life on hold to help her sister in her time of need. But it has all the charm, wit and humour that I've come to expect from Sinead Moriarty. It was, again, exactly the book I needed to read right now!!
Jen
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one (very long) sitting, which I think speaks to the quality of it. It was for the most part, well-written. I have mixed feelings on the ending due to the character development, hence the 4 stars instead of 5. Overall, definitely a page-turner and I'd like to read more from this author.
Marian
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
right after reading the first page, i knew this book was going to be great. it was light and fun, but there are also points where the reader can actually sympathize with the lead character. I didn't have a hard time imagining the scenes and I must say there are pretty great twists I never expected in the latter part of the book. all in all, it's a great read and very fun story. :)
Fionnuala M
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A warm, poignant and witty account of how a young journalist from London has to come home to Ireland to look after her sister's boistrous children when her sibling is diagnosed with breast cancer. The characters in this book are fabulous and funny and Moriarty's writing has the capacity to take a serious topic and find a light hearted approach to bring it out into the open.
Nina
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book, it made me laugh a lot and made me cry too.
the story is really good and I adore the main character in this book she's strong,
funny and a loving sister.
this book is not only full of drama but full of laughs too.
you'll definitely enjoy reading it too.
Pam Masters
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this to be an emotional read, especially as I have recently lost a family member to cancer (which is a running theme in this story). It was also entertaining seeing how the family interacted with each other.

Very easy read, which is good sometimes.
Caz
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Lovely balance of sad emotional stuff and humour!
Karen
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A great little book - very funny!
Donna
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The brother in law Mark was a complete tool, was fuming at him all the way through the book...not helped by the fact I have q tool ex bro in law with same name LOL

Apart from that, brilliant book
Marcia
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only my second book by this author (first book was about 5 years ago) and I loved this book!
Evie
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
She writes well, but the message is so tired. Come home, girl, and settle down with the good man you threw over in your selfish hunt for a career.
Heather Richardson
Doesn't get better then a good Sinead Moriarty. I love all her books, well written easy enjoyable reading and even causes the odd laugh out on the train. Perfect holiday book
Nisha D'lima
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book with some curly twists that hit you in the solar plexus!

• Homecoming
  • The Xmas Factor
  • Amy's Honeymoon
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • Half Seven on a Tuesday
  • Something Borrowed
  • How Sweet It is
  • Maid of Honor
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
  • It's the Little Things
  • Forget me not
  • The Secret Shopper's Revenge
  • To My Best Friends.
  • Marrying for Money
  • Making Mischief
  • The Gilder
  • The Accidental Family (Sophie Mills, #2)
  • Still Life (Still Life #1)
Sinéad was born and raised in Dublin where she grew up surrounded by books. Her mother is an author of children’s books. Growing up, Sinead says she was inspired by watching her mother writing at the kitchen table and then being published. From that moment on, her childhood dream was to write a novel.

After university, she went to live in Paris and then London. It was at the age of thirty, while wo
“every father wants to see his girls settled and not end up old maids” 6 likes
“Taking the easy way isn't right. You need to do things properly in life to achieve the best results. People who cut corners are only fooling themselves.” 0 likes