Start by marking “The Triumph of Evil” as Want to Read:
The Triumph of Evil

The Triumph of Evil

(Paul Kavanagh #2)

An assassin targets the political leaders of the United States, causing a domino effect that could bring down the government and alter our way of life forever

Assassinations, political upheaval, student riots, and conservative rage. In the thick of the Cold War it was the perfect recipe for revolution, and it only took a gentle push to send a nation toppling into dictator
Published December 28th 2010 by Open Road Media (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Triumph of Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Triumph of Evil

Start your review of The Triumph of Evil
Kemper
I thought I knew Lawrence Block by now. I’ve read all of his Matt Scudder and Keller novels, several of the Bernie Rhodenbarr burglar books as well as all of his Hard Case Crime reprints and one of his short stories collections. Granted, he’s got more out there, but I like to think that I’m pretty well versed on his work. But every once in a while he throws me a curve ball that leaves me shaking my head and saying, “What the hell was THAT??”

I can add The Triumph of Evil to that category. I’d n
Greg
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lawrence Block has lately been self-publishing a lot of his old crime and 'erotica' novels that he was churning out in the 60's and 70's under pen names. The erotica re-issues are surprisingly weird (well the couple of I've read) in a good way (that anyone would have bought them as erotica is kind of bizarre to me, but what do I know about reading habits of pulp novels in the 60's. They stand above the crime novels he's been re-issuing just because he has been able to get the original artwork to ...more
T.E. Grau
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Block sees the future a year before I was born, and the future is now.
Ronnie
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book isn't the smoothest read, not initially anyway, but it's for sure among the most cerebral thrillers I've ever read. And considering it was published in 1971 (meaning Block must have been working on it well before that), it's pretty fascinating--and, in a word, prescient. Knowing the plot revolves around a series of political assassinations, consider the following passage, which happens fairly early on when the would-be assassin is trying to be convinced that his involvement is nec ...more
Avri
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typically fascinating Block. Stunned to find, in this book first published in 1972, the phrase "Make America Great Again" in the mouth of a racist politician . . .
David Macpherson
The tale of an assassin who has been ordered to kill people that will change the political landscape of America. Love saves him (sort of). Sadly, a lot of what is said in the book is more true today. But I don't know, the book was good, it was just missing something for me. And the ending was a little weak. Still, pretty engaging none the less.
Lisa Tollefson
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Dated, but quite good. An assassin is brought out of retirement and deals with the problems of liking his employer, falling in love, and making several difficult decisions. Very different from any Block I've read before.
Bruce Nieminski
6.5/10
204 pages

Political thriller from Lawrence Block set in the late 60s / early 70s, featuring a European assassin who has been tasked with targeting several influential political leaders. Crisscrossing the assassin arc is a love story with an impressionable young woman.

Sometimes hard to follow, Triumph of Evil does intrigue. Understanding the period it was written for is essential. Nothing special, but a quick read nonetheless.
Tony
Nov 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2013, reviewed
“The mistake everyone makes is to believe that the alternative to change is preservation of the status quo. And this is so rarely true. The alternative to change is another sort of change.”

This was written immediately after the original Tanner series (although originally published under a pseudonym), and with a not-too-dissimilar feel to it, albeit with a much darker tone. Yet even though the Balkans or Baltics have changed much more significantly than the US since the 1960s, this book seems mor
John
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this. It's a tale written in 1971 of a group that decides the country is going to the left and employs an assassin to kill several political leaders to cause distrust between groups and political revolution. Very disturbing to read it with the current shouting match going on in the media.
Andrew Smith
Aug 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-finished
I love Block and have read numerous quality novels penned by this author. But this was a shocker. I found it confusing and fragmented. I gave up after about a third of the book, I just knew I wasn't going to understand this let alone enjoy it. Sorry LB, the worst I've come across from you.
Patrick
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
My least favorite Block book to date. Mostly it's problem is it's so short it feels more like the outline for a novel than a real novel. I could see a modern day adaptation of this since many of the politics of it are still relevant today.
alfred deblasio
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tumbling time!_

Thinking back to the 60s and the questions we all had- I like the fact that one man seem to do it all.
The love aspect was fun- I enjoyed his justification even though unreasonable.
Ed
Feb 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, criminal, thriller
Written by Lawrence Block as Paul Kavanagh.

Thriller - Miles Dorn is an assassin hired to eliminate five national figures to facilitate the overthrow of the US government. What effect will his growing relationship with young university dropout Jocelyn have on his mission?
Denise M.
Sep 27, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: block-lawrence
AKA: Sheldon Lord, Jill Emerson, Paul Kavanaugh, Chip Harrison, Lawrence Block
Chris
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid crime story
Chris Toney
Well written but not a great tale.
Julianne
rated it did not like it
Aug 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Second Sleep
  • undone (Burt Bigsley Mystery Book 1)
  • Brothers Keepers
  • Rockabilly Hell
  • The Grifters
  • The Murdered G-Man File: The Federal Agent Mysteries
  • Dover One (A Dover Mystery Book 1)
  • The Boys and Men of Auckland's Mickey Rooney Gang
  • Trigger Point (Gabriel Wolfe, #1)
  • Unknown Man #89 (Jack Ryan, #2)
  • The Questioner
  • unravel (Burt Bigsley Mystery Book 2)
  • Broken Genius
  • City Primeval
  • Fields of Glory (The Vintener Trilogy #1)
  • Yellow-Dog Contract
  • For the Love of Books: Stories of Literary Lives, Banned Books, Author Feuds, Extraordinary Characters, and More
  • Mystery Mile (Albert Campion Mystery, #2)
Lawrence Block has been writing crime, mystery, and suspense fiction for more than half a century. He has published in excess (oh, wretched excess!) of 100 books, and no end of short stories.

Born in Buffalo, N.Y., LB attended Antioch College, but left before completing his studies; school authorities advised him that they felt he’d be happier elsewhere, and he thought this was remarkably perceptiv

Paul Kavanagh (3 books)