Start by marking “Hardcoregaming101.Net Presents: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures” as Want to Read:
Hardcoregaming101.Net Presents: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures

Hardcoregaming101.Net Presents: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In 1984, Roberta Williams of Sierra On-Line designed King's Quest, the world's first graphic adventure. A huge step beyond the text-oriented games that preceded it, the genre took the world by storm, and proved immensely popular with computers over the next decade. A combination of storytelling and puzzle solving, they provided the ability to explore a world and experience ...more
Published May 17th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hardcoregaming101.Net Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hardcoregaming101.Net Presents

Mike
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was an unbelievably page-turner for me. I cut my teeth on many on the games that this book gets into, and I felt like this author was completely on my wave-length. He had a ton of interesting insights about games I've played, and lots of material about games that I definitely want to play after reading this book.
Bpatchett
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

This is a validating book for adventure-heads! It's actually a (very thick!) compilation of reviews from hardcoregaming101.net. It was great to read about games I played, and games whose contents I merely speculated upon.

Reading the whole thing (or even a random chunk of it,) you get a good idea of the general outlines of adventure gaming history, but the book is organized by company and series -- not purely historically / chronologically. There are some sloppy details -- for example, it looks l
RavenWorks
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Great book, but the paper edition is so big it's cumbersome, and the black+white screenshots are often difficult to make out. Buy the ebook instead (the screenshots in the ebook are in color).
Brian
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it
The people of Hardcoregaming101 are doing a fantastic, vital task in documenting basically every game ever. They've got games on there like the Thor's Hammer Trilogy, which I'm not sure that anyone I talk to on a regular basis has ever heard of (though it doesn't look like they have the Test Drive games, strangely). I bought this book because I've read a ton of HG101's articles over the years and thought that having them all in book form to read offline would be pretty nice, and it is, but it's ...more
Themistocles
Aug 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: computers, history
This one is a mixed bag. On one hand, there's so much to read and take you back, it's guaranteed to keep you warm and happy for quite a few days. On the other hand, it's got a few glaring issues.

The good: a huge amount of games covered, lots of detail, attention and love. Can't get much better than that.

The bad:

To begin with, the book is 'typeset' in Word or something. It really shows. Now, Word may be a good processor, but a DTP package it is not. This is something I could have printed and boun
Kalin
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hugely informative and often amusing, this compendium helped fill a hole in my game lore.

I was surprised to see: a) how many of the titles included I did actually know (long live Youtube longplays ;); b) how fine the writing, and especially the plots, of a number of these games are. So good game writing is possible--as long as developers put their money where their heart is.

Unfortunately, I didn't really like the unfamiliar titles the guide prompted me to try. Still, I feel tempted to give a sho
David
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bravo! This is a best-of-it's-kind book. Was nice to see all the graphic adventure games I had missed (and I was surprised to remember how many I hadn't).

The level of detail/trivia in this book is astounding. I feel a bit like I'm living vicariously through the author's misspent youth. Clearly, this book was more a labor of love than a work of commission.

Took me forever to read through, since it's nearly 800 oversized pages of dense 9ish point font (not kidding). Now my copy is marked up with pe
Krzysztof
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As comprehensive as you can hope for, despite missing a few titles here and there - but if you want to read through 30 years of adventure gaming history, this is probably the best choice out there. Has a few quirks, like some borderline sexist remarks and focusing on certain elements of a game while forgetting about others, arguably more important, but it's still a wonder to read. Highly recommended to all video game fans.
Michael Hannon
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A book I'll never finish, though it's not meant for that. A fantastic, in-depth look at one of the most important genres in gaming. Kalata and his writers do a great job digging into the rise, fall, and rebirth of not only the genre but the companies involved. Highly, highly recommended for anyone interested in gaming's history.
Adam Hepton
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really comprehensive snapshot of graphic adventures in history, which more surprisingly manages to engage throughout. Peppered with interviews with designers, producers and directors, it manages to swerve the trap it could have easily fallen into of being overly dry and factual, and understands that the people who made the stories are as much a part of the stories as the script or settings.
Namida
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well-written and informative, it opened my eyes to several games that I have since added to my collection. Even the sections on games I had previously played to completion felt worthwhile, mainly for nostalgic reasons. My one complaint would be the frequent spelling errors, which should frankly have been corrected before releasing the work in book form.
Rob
Feb 12, 2016 added it
For anyone they grew up playing adventure games, this is the ultimate Bible. There are many great insights and the classic Lucasfilm games including the Secret of Monkey Island and Indiana Jones games.
Ietrio
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: bio
I wouldn't call this book a guide. More like an index with a short description. Less than Wikipedia anyway. So it's not worth the money.
Todd Burow
Joan Ramon Puig
Mar 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Replay: The History of Video Games
  • EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
  • Rise of the Videogame Zinesters: How Freaks, Normals, Amateurs, Artists, Dreamers, Drop-outs, Queers, Housewives, and People Like You Are Taking Back an Art Form
  • How to Do Things with Videogames
  • Killing Is Harmless: A Critical Reading of Spec Ops: The Line
  • Vaporware
  • The Making of Prince of Persia
  • Generation Xbox: How Videogames Invaded Hollywood
  • Dungeons and Desktops: The History of Computer Role-Playing Games
  • Trial of the Clone: An Interactive Adventure!
  • Half-Real: Video Games Between Real Rules and Fictional Worlds
  • Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life
  • Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction
  • The Final Hours of Portal 2
  • High Score!: The Illustrated History of Electronic Games
  • Vintage Games: An Insider Look at the History of Grand Theft Auto, Super Mario, and the Most Influential Games of All Time
  • Arcade Mania: The Turbo-Charged World of Japan's Game Centers
  • The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers: Volume 1

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis