Start by marking “Microsoft Secrets: How the World's Most Powerful Software Company Creates Technology, Shapes Markets, and Manages People” as Want to Read:

Today, Microsoft commands the high ground of the information superhighway by owning the operating systems and basic applications programs that run on the world's 170 million computers. Beyond the unquestioned genius and vision of Bill Gates, what accounts for Microsofts astounding success?
Drawing on almost two years of on-site observation at Microsoft headquarters, emine
Published December 4th 1998 by Free Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Microsoft Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Microsoft Secrets

Start your review of Microsoft Secrets: How the World's Most Powerful Software Company Creates Technology, Shapes Markets, and Manages People
Tom Schulte
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Working at a technology company I found this a fascinating work. The candid quotes from MS employees on what was working, and what didn’t; what was being attempted and to what mere lip service was paid was very enlightening. Of course, the 90s technology has been left behind, but skipping over those parts (which I am surprised the original authors though to include), the organizational insight is telling. Here is a list of what I found most interesting, in no particular order:

1. p. 432: the proc
Christopher
The book was a bit dated and not very informative. Compare this book to "How Google Works" and you will wonder how Microsoft ever got lucky and made it this far. I do admire MS more today than I did earlier.
Mitch
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Good book!
Aaron
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
I worked with Microsoft guys who introduced me to a lot of the techniques in the book. Saw Cusumano at MIT conference. He was insufferable as he kept saying "as I wrote in my book..." The audience started groaning. Really turned me off to the guy. I think he basically just took notes at Microsoft since I didn't get the feeling he had original ideas.
Sam Motes
Sep 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-reads
When I picked this up it showed the release date of 2016. I am just grateful it was a library book and I didn't buy it. Deceptively this is really dated material. Windows three windows NT Windows 95. Still some interesting stuff on how technology leadership work at Microsoft. All things considered this was not worth the read Couldn't finish it
John Hoag
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
From VMS to WNT, this book takes a year-long snapshot of the development of NT. Read along with Judge Jackson's US vs Microsoft decision, it's a chilling but dated look at "winning" at technology. Where's Philippe Kahn?
Lori Grant
A must-read company profile for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Brad Smith
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Great insight into how Microsoft works and how it's structured. I should have read this book years ago.
Eliot Burdett
Learned so much from MS back in the day. Some useful insights.
Julie Bell
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Especially good perspective on development lifecycle.
G G
Mats
Apr 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• On the Firing Line: My 500 Days at Apple
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Breaking Windows: How Bill Gates Fumbled the Future of Microsoft
  • The Third Wave
  • Overdrive: Bill Gates and the Race to Control Cyberspace
  • Renegades of the Empire: How Three Software Warriors Started a Revolution Behind the Walls of Fortress Microsoft
  • The Media Lab: Inventing the Future at M.I.T.
  • The Fatal Shore: The Epic of Australia's Founding
  • The Mismeasure of Man
  • The Education of a Speculator
  • The Wild Party
  • The Strange Death of Liberal England
  • Children of God (The Sparrow, #2)
  • Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr.
  • Financial Institutions, Investments, & Management: An Introduction
  • The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2)
  • Upheaval: Turning Points for Nations in Crisis

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »