Start by marking “Microsoft Secrets: How the World's Most Powerful Software Company Creates Technology, Shapes Markets, and Manages People” as Want to Read:

Today, Microsoft commands the high ground of the information superhighway by owning the operating systems and basic applications programs that run on the world's 170 million computers. Beyond the unquestioned genius and vision of Bill Gates, what accounts for Microsofts astounding success?
Drawing on almost two years of on-site observation at Microsoft headquarters, emine
Published December 4th 1998 by Free Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Microsoft Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Microsoft Secrets

Tom Schulte
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Working at a technology company I found this a fascinating work. The candid quotes from MS employees on what was working, and what didn’t; what was being attempted and to what mere lip service was paid was very enlightening. Of course, the 90s technology has been left behind, but skipping over those parts (which I am surprised the original authors though to include), the organizational insight is telling. Here is a list of what I found most interesting, in no particular order:

1. p. 432: the proc
Aaron
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
I worked with Microsoft guys who introduced me to a lot of the techniques in the book. Saw Cusumano at MIT conference. He was insufferable as he kept saying "as I wrote in my book..." The audience started groaning. Really turned me off to the guy. I think he basically just took notes at Microsoft since I didn't get the feeling he had original ideas.
Sam Motes
Sep 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-reads
When I picked this up it showed the release date of 2016. I am just grateful it was a library book and I didn't buy it. Deceptively this is really dated material. Windows three windows NT Windows 95. Still some interesting stuff on how technology leadership work at Microsoft. All things considered this was not worth the read Couldn't finish it
John Hoag
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
From VMS to WNT, this book takes a year-long snapshot of the development of NT. Read along with Judge Jackson's US vs Microsoft decision, it's a chilling but dated look at "winning" at technology. Where's Philippe Kahn?
Lori Grant
A must-read company profile for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Brad Smith
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Great insight into how Microsoft works and how it's structured. I should have read this book years ago.
Dave
Jul 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this book many years ago. At the time it was quite interesting but not really relevant anymore, but still an interesting read.
Eliot Burdett
Learned so much from MS back in the day. Some useful insights.
Julie Bell
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Especially good perspective on development lifecycle.
G G
Dec 04, 2013
Nelson
Sep 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Jack Welch & The G.E. Way: Management Insights and Leadership Secrets of the Legendary CEO
  • One Billion Customers: Lessons from the Front Lines of Doing Business in China
  • The Perfect Store: Inside eBay
  • The Macintosh Way
  • The Race For A New Game Machine: Creating the Chips Inside the XBox and the Playstation 3
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Internals
  • Managing Human Resources (with InfoTrac  1-Semester Printed Access Card)
  • Operating Systems Design and Implementation
  • Coder to Developer: Tools and Strategies for Delivering Your Software
  • IT Project Management: On Track from Start to Finish
  • Organizations: Behavior, Structure, Processes
  • Debugging the Development Process: Practical Strategies for Staying Focused, Hitting Ship Dates, and Building Solid Teams
  • Too Many Bosses, Too Few Leaders: The Three Essential Principles You Need to Become an Extraordinary Leader
  • The Pinball Effect: How Renaissance Water Gardens Made The Carburetor Possible - and Other Journeys Through Knowledge
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Classic Trekkers
  • America: A Concise History, Volume 2: Since 1865
  • Security in Computing
  • Red Victory: A History of the Russian Civil War, 1918-1921

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »