Start by marking “Mr. Darcy's Bite (Darcy Bites #1)” as Want to Read:
Mr. Darcy's Bite (Darcy Bites #1)

Mr. Darcy's Bite

(Darcy Bites #1)

In the tradition of Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange (35,000 copies sold) this fresh, original paranormal Jane Austen sequel by bestselling author Mary Lydon Simonson explores Mr. Darcy as the leader of a secret world of werewolves threatened with extinction.

Elizabeth comes to realize that she loves him in both his incarnations, and all his servants protect his secret.

Published October 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published August 25th 2011)

K.
Trigger warnings: everything that goes along with werewolves??

28/1/2018
Is this book utterly ridiculous? Uh, yeah. Did I care, after reading back-to-back 1 star books? NOPE. Does it deserve a 4 star rating? Probably not, but it's fun and I read it in like 2 hours, so... *shrug*

22/10/2016
I stand by everything I said last time. This book is fan fic, pure and simple. The author knows it and plays to its strengths. Yes, it's so bad that it's often laugh-out-loud funny. Yes, there are moments of "Wait
Elin Eriksen
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although I am not fond of werewolf stories at large, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Humorously bent with a lot of bawdy comments and sexual tension, made it a funny and captivating story.
1/3 of a broomstick indeed...

Six months after they reunited in Hertfordshire, the Bingleys has married but Darcy has not gotten to the point yet. Elizabeth was getting exasperated when she got an invitation to Pemberley.
Instead of the anticipated proposal, she was let in on a secret...
The proposal eventually
Sheila Majczan
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yesterday (Oct. 16th, 2014), this author was interviewed on a blog, (http://austenvariations.com/a-prequel... ) to which I subscribe. Her description, plus the fact that I was in the mood for a Halloween story, made this story sound intriguing. The emphasis was that this is a love story, NOT a horror story with wolves going around biting all with whom they come into contact, etc. I have to say that I do not usually buy books in this genre, not even vampire ones, (although I did read the Twilight ...more
Anna
Oct 12, 2011 added it
Shelves: austenesque
Review originally posted on Diary of an Eccentric

Mr. Darcy’s Bite is Mary Lydon Simonsen’s latest take on Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, and I must admit that it’s one of the best Austenesque novels I’ve read so far (and regular readers of my blog know that I read a lot of them). Most of these variations put an obstacle in Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet’s road to happiness, and Simonsen’s is no different, but what makes Mr. Darcy’s Bite unique is the severity of the challenge the two must ov
Victoria
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought for Halloween I would read one of my more "supernatural" Austenesque books on my shelf. Varying from the original (there's no double wedding, Jane is married first), we learn that Darcy and Lizzy have been courting for six months, when he reveals the truth to her about his werewolfness.

This book was not what I was expecting. I was expecting a lot of "beast" Darcy, but really it is the usual Darcy we know and love, with the added responsibilities of being an Alpha in a pack. There's so
Leslie
I finished this book several weeks ago and I am hard pressed to remember much about it. It is a quick fun read. Mr. Darcy is a werewolf; Lizzy has to come to terms with it aided by well formed Georgiana and Ann de Bourgh.

I thought the ending was sweet.
Sara
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jaff, hcpl
Interesting read. Here, Darcy is taking his time courting Elizabeth after he gets Bingley and Jane together. essentially he courts her on and off for 6 months. Then he tells her his secret. This story is more about the courtship, her accepting his secret and the beginning of their marriage. The epilogue quickly sums up the later part of their life.

I enjoyed the relationship between Darcy and Elizabeth. It was sweet, and romantic without being graphic. I really enjoyed this book.
Bailey
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
As a fan of "Pride and Prejudice" spin off novels, I was looking forward to something a little more tongue in cheek (but not as much as Pride and Prejudcie and Zombies). While this book read really fast and the dialogue didn't seem as forced as other spin off novels I've read, the book just didn't seem to go anywhere. I kept wondering where the conflict was going to be in this novel, but none came. Yes, things happen, but nothing that was important to wonder if things would turn out all right fo ...more
Elizabeth Bennet
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
We get to see a furry Darcy in this story. The idea was a nice change but I have to say I enjoyed Ola Wegner's Moonlighting better. The ending in this story was very sweet. Although the end described an aging and vulnerable Darcy, I much perfer one where the characters are in the most positive light possible. Do not be discouraged by that note because it does end sweetly its just not one of my favorites. If this type of subject appeals to you I do think most would get enjoyment out of it.
Absinthe
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: trash
This was a decent book. It was not profound and it did not make me look at the world in a different light. It was simply entertaining. I would not call it literature, but I would call it a lot of fun! I had trouble putting this one down!
Beth
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So Mr. Darcy turns into a werewolf. I really think the author could have made this book more interesting. That is about all that happens and that isn't even very interesting.
Kim
What do you get when you cross Pride and Prejudice with werewolves? You get a dark and adventurous tale that follows Lizzy and Darcy as they grapple with a definite twist that has arisen in their relationship. This time, Mary Lydon Simonsen takes us on a journey where we follow our beloved couple as they encounter something that Jane could never have imagined when she originally put pen to paper.

Elizabeth Bennet is distraught. Fitzwilliam Darcy has been courting her for months and there is still
Ceri
This is a Pride and Prejudice variation/sequel (picking up after Lydia's marriage) with a supernatural twist; while travelling through mainland Europe, young Fitzwilliam Darcy is the accidental recipient of a wound which turns him into a werewolf for two days every month around the full moon. Darcy had always intended to marry a female with the same affliction, but a visit to his friend Bingley's new rented estate in Hertfordshire has resulted in his affections being captured by a certain Miss E ...more
Mel
This is why when I read fanfiction I like to read it for free. I'm not saying my money was wasted on this book but I certainly could have spent my money on something different.

I enjoyed the reimagining of Austen's characters but there was something missing in them. The language wasn't 100%. I believe if you're going to rip someone off it has to rival the original or people wrinkle their noses when they mention it. The language was right on the mark at times and at others so jarringly modern tha
Sophia
This was a beautiful, gentle story from start to finish.

I have read several attempts to turn Darcy into a vampire and one into a wolf before. This is the first one that stuck so close to his original character.
Make no mistake this is not a horror or very suspenseful. It is just another brilliant sequel of the Darcy and Elizabeth story- with a twist.

That being said. Darcy is in constant danger of discovery for his secret and there are other wolves who are not as discreet. Elizabeth has a rival f
Mae Hanley
Dec 13, 2011 rated it liked it
While the beginning set up was interesting, the remainder of the book didn't grasp me in it's clutches.

The twisting of events from Netherfield to Rosings weren't off, but the explanations lacked realism for me. And once his love is proclaimed Elizabeth (in this version) is not secure enough in Darcy's love to not allow the green-eyed monster to rise up, several times, even after assurances by Darcy. This Elizabeth did not have the backbone of the original and Darcy's own confidence waffled about
Jakki
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Werewolves and Pride & Prejudice? Really? Those were my initial thoughts. However, skeptical as I was, I wanted to read what Simonsen wrote. Page by page my curiosity was piqued and I was drawn into the story. I love stories where there is competition for a character's love. Elizabeth has just that. The other lady is not only drop-dead gorgeous but she also shares something with Darcy Elizabeth does not. Simonsen truly captured the loyal and protective Darcy, as well as the compassionate and ...more
Erin
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really liked the cover of this book and I occasionally like this type of fan fiction/supernatural crossover, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It was a good concept, but a little too girly for me. I thought that Darcy did not come across as a real man, rather he was what certain vapid women wish men to be. The dialogue in certain scenes was so unbelievable as to be painful. I pictured a werewolf to be a bit more virile and well, manly.
Literary  Chanteuse
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My first reaction to Austen stories with paranormal elements is honestly a skeptic one however Mr. Darcy's Bite has completely changed my mind. This is an excellent mix of the two. It is very believable and after reading one chapter I was hooked. The author has kept a true likeness to the existing characters that we love and has introduced some new and wonderful characters as well as keeping the essence of the love story between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy.
Laela
Really, don't waste your time.
Talia
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun werewolf adventure. Perfect for the season.
Sharifah Maryam
Aug 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ugh, 0.5 stars
Beth
Jan 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Mr Darcy turned into a werewolf, that was about all he did.
Dallass
Borrowed this from my library more out of curiosity than any real desire to read it, and still don’t know what to think of Mr Darcy Bites.

I was not enamoured by any of the characters, but the author did give the story a suitably gothic inspired backdrop. And while I’m usually all about a good paranormal romance with werewolves, vampires or other magically inclined creatures, there is just something about tinkering with Pride and Prejudice (or other classics if I’m honest) that doesn’t work for m
Staciel
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was ok

It wasn't bad-- I did read the entire thing, it was just maybe I should have read it around Halloween.

Also, there was quite a few sexual situations, and for me, that just doesn't work in 1812.
Amanda
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is is so absurd it's hilarious. I especially love Antony Fitzwilliam
Madenna U
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
In this variation our dear couple is agreeably I love to start but has another obstacle to overcome - Mr Darcy is a werewolf. Can Elizabeth come to grips with those? Can the secret be kept? Can the annoying neighbor girl get a hold of herself? In general, it was an interesting book but I will not go to great. The story kept me interested, not because of tension win our couple, but with how the super-natural story was handled. I really didn't like the end.
Alfaro0726
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

It was fun to read this variation of the story of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth but I felt like the end was a little rushed and would have liked more information of how the events that were glossed over unfolded.
'S just my opinion
Mar 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I found this one disappointing. I was looking forward to a more true Austen retelling, one that happened to contain werewolves.
The characters speech patterns, not to mention actions--aka all the sex talks/canoodling on the couch--were very out of period.
The writing felt clunky to me; why was this put in? How is it important to the story? Which was what exactly? There never seemed to be a firm focal point of the plot. Mediocre/indifferent love triangle vs. barely thrown together werewolf politi
Maria Grazia
To combine the Regency with parallel paranormal worlds has become a steady and successful reality it seems. Mashup they are called in the fan fiction market and they appeal to both readers who even happen to ignore who Jane Austen was and what her world was like as well as Janeites fond of gothic tales. Will the mashup trend also win new fans over and bring them to read Austen novels? I really hope so.
Mary Lydon Simonsen, after publishing more traditional sequels to Pride and Prejudice like Sear

• Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles #1)
  • Haunting Mr. Darcy - A Spirited Courtship
  • One Thread Pulled: The Dance with Mr. Darcy
  • Caroline Bingley
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret
  • All My Tomorrows
  • Darcy's Dilemma (A Fair Prospect, #2)
  • His Uncle's Favorite
  • Affinity and Affection
I am the authors of several Pride & Prejudice and Persuasion re-imaginings. I have also written a modern love story, The Second Date, Love Italian-American Style, and three British mysteries, Three's A Crowd, A Killing in Kensington, A Death in Hampden, Dying to Write, and Murder by Moonlighting.

I am a wife, mother, grandmother, volunteer, reader, writer, serious recycler.

When I read for relax

Darcy Bites (2 books)
  • Mr. Darcy Bites Back (Darcy Bites #2)