Start by marking “One-to-One Bible Reading: A Simple Guide for Every Christian” as Want to Read:
One-to-One Bible Reading: A Simple Guide for Every Christian

One-to-One Bible Reading: A Simple Guide for Every Christian

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  620 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
Imagine if there was a way that people could grow in their knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ—a way that returned gospel growth to the everyday fabric of personal relationship, rather than relying on church-run programs. That guided people in a deeper, more meaningful way than an event, program or class could possibly do—guided on an individual basis by someone who cared f ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Matthias Media

To ask other readers questions about One-to-One Bible Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One-to-One Bible Reading

Peter Krol
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
When we talk about "Bible study," we usually refer to one of these two things: small group discussion or personal time with God. People study the Bible alone, or they study it in gaggles. But David Helm, in his short but wonderful book One-to-One Bible Reading, offers another option--that of studying the Bible with someone one-on-one.

It only makes sense. One-on-one meetings are more common, more personal, more interactive, and more individually tailored than any other type of meeting. One-on-one
Jon
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great simple approach to a simple framework for discipleship with another believer.
Maybe too simple to warrant a book and not a blog post?

Imagine if all Christians, as a normal part of their [walk with God], were caught up in a web of regular Bible reading—not only digging into the Word privately, but reading it with their siblings before bed, with their parents over breakfast, with a non-Christian at school once a week over lunch, with a new Christian for follow-up every couple of weeks for mut
Tom Wilding
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really quick and easy introduction to one-to-one Bible reading in two parts. Part one explains why it is such a good thing to and how to go about it generally. Part two offers more practical tips and techniques for reading with different groups: non-Christian, new Christian and established Christian. I found it encouraging and hope to put some of it into practice..
Rob
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
I appreciate the practicality of this book - specifically the plans/approaches for working through Scripture 1-1. While intended/focused on adults, I found the "Sweedish method" particularly interesting when contemplating a Bible study approach with our two middle-school-age children.

David Schultz
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A simple primer on small Bible studies. If you’ve read other books/articles regarding bible study this may be too basic.
Katy Sammons
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this simple approach to Bible study. We will be implementing it in the ministry I direct.
Gavin Breeden
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Short and extremely helpful guide on sitting down with someone and reading the Bible together. Highly recommended for any Christian to read. Essential for those serving in any sort of ministry role.
Lily Haug
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This book gives a simple, easy to follow outline for how to read the Bible with one (or more) people. It goes through how to analyze the text, how to approach Bible study, and what should be chosen as the focus for study depending on where the readers are in their walk. It is short and helpful.
Ben Laur
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: disciplemaking
Is it fair to even call this a book? It's hardly fifty pages. Anyway...

This was fantastic. I think so much of its power lies in its simplicity. We overthink things so much, but in reality making disciples and reading the Bible can be so much simpler. Make the Bible accessible to people. Quit telling people to read the Bible, and get them actually reading it. Quit telling them what the Bible means, and enable them to find out for themselves. Remove the professionalism of Bible scholars and pastor
John
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Helm subtitles his little book "a simple guide for every Christian" -- and does he ever deliver on that promise. This helpful guide can be picked up and understood by someone new to the faith and would also prove helpful to seasoned Christians.

Helm has two sections in this brief book, the first is an exhortation to study the scriptures together with someone. Helm believes that people are changed when they read the Bible together -- this practice be transformative to unbelievers and Christian le
Jan
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Handy little booklet. 3.75 stars
Deon
practical & easy to read and apply
Jamie
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great follow-up to the concepts in The Trellis and The Vine. Simple and profound.
Daniel
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Short, simple and extremely practical. Shows how to put into practice the vision from The Trellis and the Vine.
Jeff Short
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
When we think of evangelism and discipleship, we tend to think of resources. we want books and helps to guide us. This is partly due to inexperience and partly due to lack of confidence. It may also come from fear of misguiding another in spiritual matters. If we are not careful, these can paralyze us so we end up doing nothing.

The suggestion in this book is not against the use of resources, but rather to recommend we use the best resource, the Bible. Helm lays out simple and helpful ways for u
Andrea
This is a very brief, helpful book about reading your Bible with others. The main point is that Bible reading is for everyone (unbelievers, new Christians and seasoned Christians) and that you have the tools you need to benefit from it.

The author begins by explaining why it's good to read the Bible with someone else, giving examples of who to look for in a reading partner and practical tips on how to get started.

The second half of the book provides two simple frameworks to guide your Bible rea
Elise Marie
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
One-to-One Bible Reading is a great resource for those looking for a practical guide to reading the Bible with anyone. David clearly outlines in the early chapters of the book why one to one Bible reading is an important, yet often neglected ministry. He reflects on how too often, churches seek to foster spiritual growth through programs and events, rather than encouraging "gospel growth [in] the everyday fabric of personal relationship, rather than relying on church run programs". He argues tha ...more
Audrey
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
While I love the premise behind this book, I felt it was a little simple. It took me a really long time to get through it because it's really like a 1 + 2 = 3 book, i.e. I'm thinking 'yeah, duh' as I'm reading it. But I finished it, and I will say that if you don't already have a background in and firm conviction of the absolute NEED for Christians to study the Bible and to reach non-Christians by helping them learn the Bible, then you need to read this book! I already have this conviction and h ...more
Kyle Hoffsmith
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book by David Helm and published by Matthias Media.

Many people don't read the Bible very often. Beyond this, many people read the Bible alone. This book challenges Christians to read the Bible with another person or in a small group. It includes strategies, examples, and information that is useful for the reader to craft a plan that is contextually doable for his or her ministry!

I am excited about this book for the youth ministry that I lead and to give this to other youth pasto
Andrew Ivester
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is really a booklet, or a how-to guide, more than a book. There is really nothing overwhelming here, just the raw truth that believers need to be in the Word with others, whether non-believers, new believers, or older believers. Helm sets out a simple process that anyone can use, as well as some practical tips on planning, preparing, and executing a one to one meeting. This model could be used with two or three people as well (one to two, one to three). The simplicity of his model makes the ...more
Dan Absalonson
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Every Christian should read this. It shows you how to easily read your Bible with others. Great examples of simple ways and plans to study it. I’m going to use the things I leaned in it to study the Bible with others for the rest of my life. Great stuff in this jam packed simple short read.
Jaid Wehrenberg
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazingly helpful and practical. In just 75 pages, Helm manages to communicate the necessity, the means, and the encouragement for every Christian to be reading the Bible with someone else one to one. If you don’t want to read the book, here’s a summary: Pray, Invite a friend, and begin reading together!
Ben Potloff
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome little book. Great resource on how to disciple someone by simply reading the Bible with them. I was convicted by how many of my discipleship relationships and meetings lack the basic necessity of time reading the Word together. This book is so practical and the reading plans and study/discussion questions are super helpful.
Drew Cox
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really helpful book containing practical tools for reading the Bible one-to-one with non-Christians, new Christians, and those who have been Christians for a while. You can read this short book in an afternoon. As I read, I was encouraged and excited to begin asking those around me to read the Bible together.
Amy Edwards
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great, practical handbook to implementing one-to-one Bible reading, either with an unbeliever who is interested in the Bible, with a new believer who is discovering the Bible, or simply with two believers who would like to grow in their knowledge of Scripture.
Brandon Keel
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good starting point or reminder to look back at the compelling simplicity of reading the Bible together as the foundation of discipleship. Some great hermeneutics resources packed in also. Almost too simple, though, and at points feels as though it might function better condensed as a blog post.
Jackie Eason
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is really helpful for understanding how to study the Bible with someone else (or even for yourself). He gives excellent questions to ask each passage and even passages of Scripture to begin studying with someone.
Wassenario
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is what the title says . Very practical great stuff. Will be a reference I will use for years. Very easy read nice and short.
Abby
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredible discipleship resource.
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super helpful guide to reading the Bible with another person, Christian or non-Christian. An easy and quick read with clear practical application and great resources.
  • The Trellis and the Vine
  • Church Discipline: How the Church Protects the Name of Jesus
  • Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
  • Community: Taking Your Small Group off Life Support (Re:Lit)
  • Finding Faithful Elders and Deacons
  • Resisting Gossip: Winning the War of the Wagging Tongue
  • Why Small Groups? Together Toward Maturity
  • The Power of Suffering: Strengthening Your Faith in the Refiner's Fire (Macarthur Study Series)
  • Rhythms of Grace: How the Church's Worship Tells the Story of the Gospel
  • Marks of the Messenger: Knowing, Living and Speaking the Gospel
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • Gospel in Life Study Guide: Grace Changes Everything
  • He Is Not Silent: Preaching in a Postmodern World
  • Jonathan Edwards Lover of God
  • Finishing Our Course with Joy: Guidance from God for Engaging with Our Aging
  • Pillars of Grace, AD 100–1564 (A Long Line of Godly Men, #2)
  • The Gospel at Work: How Working for King Jesus Gives Purpose and Meaning to Our Jobs
  • The Company We Keep: In Search of Biblical Friendship
David R. Helm, along with Arthur Jackson, serves as Lead Pastor of the Hyde Park Congregation of Holy Trinity Church Chicago. David is Chairman of The Charles Simeon Trust, a ministry devoted to equipping men in expository preaching.

A graduate of Wheaton College and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, David is ordained in the PCA and serves on the council of The Gospel Coalition. He authored I, I
“The only necessary key to understanding the Bible is to approach it with a humble and contrite heart softened by the Holy Spirit, ready to listen to what God says, and just as ready to obey him. The” 0 likes
“Any committed Christian is capable of initiating a good conversation on a biblical text.” 0 likes